PDA

View Full Version : Carburetor Talk

KG4CGC
05-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Hello Gentlemen and welcome to Carburetor Talk. It is the place to discuss our troubles and triumphs of living with carbureted internal combustion engines.

The time has come where I must dismantle and disassemble my carburetor for cleaning. Can't avoid it. It must be done.

I found this nifty how to manual online that's probably not safe for work.
Let's have a peek, shall we?

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=17488

Now then, as soon as I can get myself in the mood ...

W3MIV
05-28-2011, 05:29 PM
How quaint.

KG4CGC
05-28-2011, 05:31 PM
How quaint.

Ah Albie. Do you wish to speak to the tribe on the troubles of walking with your carburetor?

NQ6U
05-28-2011, 06:19 PM
I just cleaned 25 years of gunk out the carb on my ancient Homelite 2-stroke generator. Does that count?

W3MIV
05-28-2011, 06:27 PM
I do not walk with carburetors. I do not talk to carburetors. I do not believe in carburetors. They are a bit of ancient mythology. I believe in in-Cylinder Direct Injection. In fact, I am an Archbishop in the Church of Latter Day Injection. Do not turn your back on me.
:snicker:

KG4CGC
05-28-2011, 06:50 PM
I do not walk with carburetors. I do not talk to carburetors. I do not believe in carburetors. They are a bit of ancient mythology. I believe in in-Cylinder Direct Injection. In fact, I am an Archbishop in the Church of Latter Day Injection. Do not turn your back on me.

Sounds like the fixins' for a new thread! w00t!

KG4CGC
05-28-2011, 06:51 PM
I just cleaned 25 years of gunk out the carb on my ancient Homelite 2-stroke generator. Does that count?

Yes Brother Carl. Tell us of your trials and tribulations with your carburetor.

NQ6U
05-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Yes Brother Carl. Tell us of your trials and tribulations with your carburetor.

Thank you, Rev. Charles.

First off, it's a Tillotson and there's no manual available, of course. Lots of curvy passages that required removal of various plugs before I could shoot carb cleaner through them effectively and once I finally got all the crap out (after disassembling, reassembling, testing, disassembling etc. about four times), I found the neoprene seat for the float valve had disintegrated; naturally, parts haven't been made in at least 20 years. Luckily, there's a friendly lawnmower shop nearby where the parts guy was willing to spend the time looking though bins until he found something that was close enough. It works now.

suddenseer
05-28-2011, 07:14 PM
The last carb I attempted to rebuild was a GM QUADRAJUNK. I bought a jiffy kit. I rebuilt it at work, and used the cleaning solvent at the shop. it ran like a top, I must have done something right, yet I could not tell you if I did. I am glad my later vehicles have fuel injection.

WØTKX
05-28-2011, 07:21 PM
My last carburetor was a Weber, mounted on the intake manifold of an early generation (straight front axle style) 4Runner 20r motor. This was a torn apart "basket case" vehicle with a blown head gasket. I refused to use the OEM carb, because I knew better. Jetted for 9000 feet for the mountains. True Story.

No problems, easy to clean and jet for lower altitude. Webers like WORK, man!

kf0rt
05-28-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm kinda diggin' it. But not for car stuff.

Think I mentioned this long ago, but I've got (still) a Craftsman chipper/shredder on the back stoop. 8HP Tecumseh (?) motor. Bought it new from Sears and it always was a bitch to start (the two times I actually got it to run). Paid about $750 for it, and historically, it's one of the worst "investments" evah. Has about 8 hours of run time on it, total, but it's been sitting outside for a few years.

If it started and ran like my lawn mower, I'd have a use for it.

Options:
1] Figure it out, get it running, use it.
2] Craigslist "free" section.

Your vote counts! :yes:

W2NAP
05-28-2011, 08:50 PM
long live the carburetors!

W2NAP
05-28-2011, 08:50 PM
kf0rt option 1

NQ6U
05-28-2011, 09:12 PM

Think I mentioned this long ago, but I've got (still) a Craftsman chipper/shredder on the back stoop. 8HP Tecumseh (?) motor. Bought it new from Sears and it always was a bitch to start (the two times I actually got it to run). Paid about $750 for it, and historically, it's one of the worst "investments" evah. Has about 8 hours of run time on it, total, but it's been sitting outside for a few years.

Options:

3] Give it to 'BSO—he needs a chipper.

kc7jty
05-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Whenever I rebuild a carb I end up with some extra parts, and I don't mean rebuild kit extra parts. Also I lose about 2 mpg each time.

KG4CGC
05-28-2011, 10:07 PM
I've never had to teardown a carburetor before. With 7000+ miles on the clock, I feel this is unexpected but apparently necessary because everything so small. If need be, I may recruit the use of dental floss.

On a separate note, the new motherboard is now up and running but I am still working out all the details as I type.

N9FE
05-29-2011, 05:53 AM
I could rebuild the carter one barrel one my fifty chevy with my eyes closed. Does that count.

W3MIV
05-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Twin Solex carbs and twin SU carbs taught me lessons I am happy not to remember. I've had Paasche turbine air brushes with sturdier needles than those in the SUs.

K7SGJ
05-29-2011, 09:55 AM

Options:

By all means, option 1. It may be the beginning of a new career.

kb2crk
05-29-2011, 12:56 PM
The last carb i fooled with was on a husqvarna weedeater. had to disassemble it and clean it multiple times last year. then the kids left it out in the rain and being unaware of the water in the tank, tried to start it and did a little damage.... was just using the new cub cadet trimmer and i hope i have a season or two of no carb teardowns.

NQ6U
05-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Twin Solex carbs and twin SU carbs taught me lessons I am happy not to remember. I've had Paasche turbine air brushes with sturdier needles than those in the SUs.

Only the British could come up with something as fucked up as the SU carburetor. I had an MGB with twin SUs; I eventually switched it over to a single 2bbl Weber and was a happy camper ever after.

And, of course, Solex carbs were nothing but a bad copy of the SU. Such a great idea: making a bad copy of a bad original. Someone is going to mechanic's hell for that one.

KG4CGC
05-29-2011, 01:08 PM
I put a Weber 2bl on my VW. It was a standard carb with a standard kit for the Bug. I think it was the same carb used on Pintos and later on Omnis.
I have done a little research into a slide carb for the scooter but that would cut my gas mileage in half to 55 mpg. The tank only holds 1.35 gallons so I wouldn't be comfortable unless I could fit a 2.5 gallon tank on it.

KG4CGC
05-29-2011, 01:15 PM
ETA: I did have to do a lot of tinkering with the float tang to get it set correctly.
The only time I ever heard of tearing down carbs to clean them, it was usually rebuild time. That was in 1984 from a Rochester **** Quadra-Jet **** from a running 68 Le Mans.

Quoted myself thinking I hit edit. Olde Pharte Syndrome.

W3MPS
05-29-2011, 01:51 PM

Ahh, you must be familiar with my Rabbi buddy over at the Temple of the Tuned Port. According to him, if it's not at least multi port, it's not kosher.

"And verily, the chosen people didst turn their backs on the Rochesterians and Carterites and the ancient tribe of Holley from whence their savior didst deliver them into the promised land. And in this new and bountiful land they did discover the miracle of multi port fuel injection and received the Lord's munificent bounty of the common rail direct injected turbocharged diesel"
The Book of the Revelation of Saint John of DeLorean Chapter 6 verse 3

N5RLR
05-29-2011, 02:51 PM
...I've got...a Craftsman chipper/shredder on the back stoop. 8HP Tecumseh (?) motor...
There's the problem, right there. Chunk that junk and fit an American* Briggs & Stratton engine. :cool2:

[*--pre-China move]

W5GA
05-29-2011, 08:36 PM
The last carb I attempted to rebuild was a GM QUADRAJUNK. I bought a jiffy kit. I rebuilt it at work, and used the cleaning solvent at the shop. it ran like a top, I must have done something right, yet I could not tell you if I did. I am glad my later vehicles have fuel injection.
Nothing at all wrong with a Q-Jet, probably the best gas mixer ever put out by an automaker. Not the simplest, but they sure worked good. Most don't understand them, though. Now, if you were talking about the computer controlled Q-Jet...then all bets are off.

N9FE
05-30-2011, 05:46 AM
You could get a q-jet to get better mileage the a two barrel. Just had to keep your foot out of it.

ka4dpo
05-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Only the British could come up with something as fucked up as the SU carburetor. I had an MGB with twin SUs; I eventually switched it over to a single 2bbl Weber and was a happy camper ever after.

And, of course, Solex carbs were nothing but a bad copy of the SU. Such a great idea: making a bad copy of a bad original. Someone is going to mechanic's hell for that one.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ahhh ha ha ha ha............

W5GA
05-30-2011, 11:06 AM
At least nobody's cloned Lucas!

NQ6U
05-30-2011, 11:54 AM
At least nobody's cloned Lucas!

You know why the British drink their beer warm? Because they have Lucas refrigerators.

w2amr
05-31-2011, 02:10 PM
You could get a q-jet to get better mileage the a two barrel. Just had to keep your foot out of it.
That's the problem I seem to have.

NQ6U
05-31-2011, 02:20 PM
That's the problem I seem to have.

Yep. When you have the power, it's difficult to refrain from using it. I have that problem whenever I drive my wife's car.

KG4CGC
05-31-2011, 02:49 PM
OK guys (and gals too!) wish me luck. I'm about to tear into that simple scooter carb and clean it out manually.
Now to tear myself away from the internet. I kept making excuses this weekend because of the heat. It's about 96°F or 35.5°C right now. I've taken my work lights outside at night before, I wonder if I should do the same now with a couple of fans.

w2amr
05-31-2011, 02:55 PM
OK guys (and gals too!) wish me luck. I'm about to tear into that simple scooter carb and clean it out manually.
Now to tear myself away from the internet. I kept making excuses this weekend because of the heat. It's about 96°F or 35.5°C right now. I've taken my work lights outside at night before, I wonder if I should do the same now with a couple of fans.Try packing yer drawers wit ice before you go out.

W7XF
05-31-2011, 05:01 PM

Can't you see the pattern...SU and Lucas... both notorious British automotive suppliers that probably should have hired 3rd graders for engineers since the 3rd graders wouldnt have designed in the certain premature failure that would strand the motorist 50 miles from the nearest cell tower??

KG4CGC
05-31-2011, 05:04 PM
The carb is off. Now to remove the float tank.

NQ6U
05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
The carb is off. Now to remove the float tank.

Carburetor adjustment tool:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/sledgehammer.jpg

W1GUH
05-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Isn't a scooter kinda like a moped? :twisted:

This is the kind of carburetor that works really, really well. Made of glass and easy to clean with Polident.

http://www.bolinat.com/unique/products/reg/6628.jpg

w2amr
05-31-2011, 05:41 PM
The carb is off. Now to remove the float tank.Clean the glo plug while yer at it.

ki4itv
05-31-2011, 05:51 PM

Options:

I have a similar problem with my chip/shred machine. You're right. For the trouble they are to really use, I find them to be not worth the investment.
Have just recently considered replacing it with a chiminea. I'm pretty good at starting those.:lol:

KG4CGC
05-31-2011, 05:59 PM
The author of the article is right! The jet holes are now noticeably larger! YES!

Moped? Yes, it is also called a moped but don't say that to the hard core moped groups. They will tear your ass apart if you call something a moped that doesn't have pedals. I guess it's all that keyboard bravado they've been drinking.

W1GUH
05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
'Course, if it's from Quadrophenia...

http://ridesolutions.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/quadrophenia-1979-002.jpg

KG4CGC
05-31-2011, 06:18 PM
It's true. You can never have too many lights and mirrors.
I have considered an idea of using a pair of truck mirrors and maybe a couple of smaller ones too, to make it a little more aerodynamic and create a buffered zone around the rider from air and rain. Been working out the kinks in a homebrew windshield idea too.

KG4CGC
05-31-2011, 07:57 PM
OK, she is running and warming up. Didn't take any time at all to get the gas flowing and the throttle response is noticeably improved although I have not taken her out for a run yet, I will in a few minutes.
I'm simply giddy with anticipation! Let's hope this isn't a let down.

KG4CGC
05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Looks like there are still some variables to eliminate but today I have ONE less variable. While it was better, tomorrow I will change out the diaphragm with a different one. If the results are still the same as they are now, the airbox goes for the new set up.

KG4CGC
05-31-2011, 10:19 PM
HA! One thing the article writer forgot to do. The Pilot screw or gas mix adjustment screw was not mentioned or dealt with in any way. When i hit this thing again tomorrow, I will remove it and shoot cleaner through that hole. Then if I'm still not happy I'll go after the diaphragm.

NQ6U
05-31-2011, 10:37 PM
if I'm still not happy I'll go after the diaphragm.

All guys do that.

ki4itv
05-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Then if I'm still not happy I'll go after the diaphragm.

All guys do that.

Don't be a fool. Wrap that tool.

KG4CGC
05-31-2011, 11:18 PM
There appears to be a spring, a metal washer and a rubber ring inside that assembly. I will need to use a prophylactic over that opening to keep those pieces from blowing back out when shoot spray through there. I'll probably look for a washer to put over the hole.

KG4CGC
06-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Today I took the top off and removed the gas mixture needle and shot cleaner through that passage. Then I tried something I read about recently, I shimmed up the diaphragm needle. BAM! What a difference!
Now I just need to double check the new exhuast washer/gasket I installed last week. I knew I could hear a slight leak at the manifold. After doing this it was really bogging down the low end. Even though it's better now, I'm still losing some oomph on the hills. This either means I installed the gasket incorrectly or I have too much back pressure. If I installed it incorrectly then I need another one because the new one is in the way of the flow and it is fubared. This is a soft metal gasket that looks just like a ribbed washer. When installing, you must torque it to spec to avoid crushing it past its usefulness. It's hard to do unless you can get the bike on a decent lift so you can see it and keep the rest of the exhaust aligned while getting it set to you can get mounting bolts to the frame and the manifold bolts all in the right place. If the gasket is OK. I will make some baffles with brass inserts that will screw into place on the front and back of the muffler in two of the open places inside. I guess you would call them expansion chambers. tHEN i'LL LINK THOSE TOGETHER like a sort of bypass.

I will still do one more test tomorrow with the airbox. I have one stock filter from Honda and one Briggs & Stratton filter that is an exact fit. The B&S breathes more freely. I will also recheck the air leaks. I have most of the parts I need to make an airbox that use a Tecumseh oval filter and the intake is the correct diameter to keep the overall airflow stock. I still want to install a hand operated slide valve with the new set up so I can fine tune that aspect of the intake and my experience tells me that unless I want to take the carb apart several more times to rejet and do trial and error that way, it is necessary. If there was a better way to remove and reinstall, I'd be all over a set of jets to test out.