PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected guest.

KB3LAZ
05-28-2011, 12:49 AM
About two weeks ago I received an unexpected guest. One fine evening I was sitting on my patio and much to my surprise there was a white pigeon in my drive just walking around. Not only do I not see pigeons often in my area I have never seen a white pigeon around here. After watching it for about 30 minutes I came to the realization that it was injured so I put on some gloves and caught it. After inspection I realized that it had an NPA band. After a little research I found out that it was a white homing pigeon used for the "White Dove release business". So I tracked down the owner via the identification band and attempted to contact them with no avail. So I ended up keeping the little fella.

After taking him to the vet I built a modified rabbit hutch for him and go the proper supplies to take care of him. Even though his wing is mended he refuses to fly away. Everyday I take him outside and release him only for him to turn around and land on either his hutch or me. So it looks like my unexpected guest has become a pet and is happily living in my rabbit barn along side my New Zealand's and Flemish Giants.

But this made me think. He is a homing pigeon most likely being used for white dove release so he should know his way home and instinctively fly away. My first assumption was that he was improperly trained by an ill informed owner however I think it goes a bit beyond that now that I have researched his band further. He was born in 07 which means he is an older bird. Im assuming that someone bought some older homers used for breeding from somewhere like Foys and attempted to use a bird that was never trained for homing in white dove release. Sigh...if something to this effect is the case why is it that ppl get into things without first understanding them?

Anyway just thought I would share.

NQ6U
05-28-2011, 01:01 AM
I'm no expert but I used to play around with homing pigeons a bit when I was a kid. What's happened is your bird has decided that he likes it where he is and that is now his new home. If you were to release him from farther away, he'd fly back to you instead of his old place. If you gradually increase the distance, he'll get a little exercise and still find his way home.

KB3LAZ
05-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Eh, Im not really interested in it as a hobby but I am a sucker for lost or injured animals. About the only time of day that he is restricted to his cage is when I am asleep or away from home. If I am at home I let him out and he goes out to play. Normally a few laps around the yard then back to the shed or greenhouse. From what I have noticed pigeons are more like chickens than pet birds. However this little bird is rather affectionate. He likes to sit on my shoulder or my lap a lot. He also seems to think my laptop monitor is a perch.

I have been thinking about getting him a buddy or mate rather but...from what I have read pigeons breed like mad and I dont want a bird farm. I guess I could always just replace the eggs with wooden eggs or get him either a cage mate of the same sex or maybe a different species that he wont breed with as I have seen many others do on sites that I have visited. For example a ring neck dove.

Though I suppose I could as you said take him further away like my brothers house and let him fly home as it is only about a mile. Maybe he needs this for exercises, idk.

VK3ZL
05-28-2011, 04:50 AM
Pigeon pie is tasty Travis.... :yes:

Bob..VK3ZL..

W3MIV
05-28-2011, 05:04 AM
Eat a pigeon and George will have your nuts for breakfast.

w2amr
05-28-2011, 05:49 AM
Eh, Im not really interested in it as a hobby but I am a sucker for lost or injured animals. About the only time of day that he is restricted to his cage is when I am asleep or away from home. If I am at home I let him out and he goes out to play. Normally a few laps around the yard then back to the shed or greenhouse. From what I have noticed pigeons are more like chickens than pet birds. However this little bird is rather affectionate. He likes to sit on my shoulder or my lap a lot. He also seems to think my laptop monitor is a perch.

I have been thinking about getting him a buddy or mate rather but...from what I have read pigeons breed like mad and I dont want a bird farm. I guess I could always just replace the eggs with wooden eggs or get him either a cage mate of the same sex or maybe a different species that he wont breed with as I have seen many others do on sites that I have visited. For example a ring neck dove.

Though I suppose I could as you said take him further away like my brothers house and let him fly home as it is only about a mile. Maybe he needs this for exercises, idk.Good job Travis, pigeons make fun pets.
A good feed is PC-12 http://www.countrymax.com/Kaytee-Bay-Mor-PC12-Pigeon-Feed-50-Pound
Also make sure he has a bowl of grit and fresh water near his food. Pigeons need grit for proper digestion.http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/_071859006352-Kaytee-Products-Bay-mor-Pigeon-Grit-red-50-Lbs

rot
05-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Get him a bud..
Only 10000 USD start bid for a Flor Engels.
http://www.pigeonracer.com/categories.php
Looks like some high dollar stuff in Cor Land.
:-D
rot

suddenseer
05-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Looks like the little feathered fellow has chosen you as a caretaker. Cats do this as well. Sounds like you have the heart to be a caretaker, go for it. Your life will be enriched, and you will be a better man for it.

w2amr
05-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Out on my early morning motorcycle ride, I came across a big turtle in the middle of the road this morning . I pulled over and saw he was still alive, just resting I guess. I carried him to the other side where he could get back to the water. Sucker was uge, maybe 30 lbs or so.

kb2vxa
05-28-2011, 02:53 PM
So why won't bye bye birdie fly away? It found a home and it's a HOMING pigeon. Like a pirate with a parrot a vampire with a pigeon make a nice pair, Bela only had bats.

KG4CGC
05-28-2011, 03:36 PM
In the early 90s I worked for a stained glass windchime maker out of an old house in the middle of downtown Greenville. The proprietor drove an old, 1950s International that was used as a bread truck back in the day.
One day he had come across a pigeon at the edge of his front yard that had an eye injury. Either a pigeon fight or possibly an auto accident? He took the bird in and took care of it and eventually the bird went everywhere with him.

One night he headed out to one of the local watering holes with his two dogs and the pigeon. The dogs and the pigeon would wait inside the truck. The truck was parked with the front door wide open and this was never a problem. This one night he was leaving the watering hole and as he was about to enter the truck, he noticed his two dogs with feather mouth, feathers on the dash, no bird or feathers outside the truck.

He returned to the shop and told us what happened. I looked at the older dog, she looked at me for a second and turned away. I looked at the younger and she couldn't even make eye contact before turning away. I asked the dogs what happened. First of all, you have to understand that dogs have no sense of time the way we do. When their master went inside for a beer, they thought that they may never see him again and thus, may never be fed again. feeling as those their predicament was dire, they decided together that they might never eat again and that they must eat the bird or die of hunger.

Black Dog: He's gone. we might never eat again.
Tan Dog: I know. I don't want to die!
BD: We must eat the bird!
TD: Yes! WE MUST EAT THE BIRD!

KB3LAZ
05-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Good job Travis, pigeons make fun pets.
A good feed is PC-12 http://www.countrymax.com/Kaytee-Bay-Mor-PC12-Pigeon-Feed-50-Pound
Also make sure he has a bowl of grit and fresh water near his food. Pigeons need grit for proper digestion.http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/_071859006352-Kaytee-Products-Bay-mor-Pigeon-Grit-red-50-Lbs

Yeah I did some research when he decided to stay here. Went to Tractor supply. Though they did not have what I needed they did order it for me.

KG4CGC
05-28-2011, 05:12 PM
BTW, congratulations on your new friend. It really is pretty neat. Watch out though. He's on his best behavior right now. After while when he becomes more familiar with you, he'll start kickin' it real.
I hope your prepared for some professional therapy.

KB3LAZ
05-28-2011, 05:35 PM
BTW, congratulations on your new friend. It really is pretty neat. Watch out though. He's on his best behavior right now. After while when he becomes more familiar with you, he'll start kickin' it real.
I hope your prepared for some professional therapy.

lol

n2ize
05-28-2011, 06:52 PM
My Dad used to keep pigeons in the South Bronx back in the 1940's-50's. In those days most roof's had pigeon coops and even into the 60's-70's pigeon coops were still popular on many Bronx roofs. There was hardly a time I could come into the Bronx by day and not see pigeons flying off many a roof. A lot of the guys used to pride themselves on being able to capture other guys pigeons or to bring in stray pigeons...or "clinkers" as they were called then. In later years 80's-early 90's homers grew in popularity. Seems everyone wanted homers. A friend of mine was at a pigeon spot in Brooklyn and remembers Mike Tyson (yes the fighter) commenting, "Homers...homers, all anyone wants these day's is homers".

KB3LAZ
05-28-2011, 06:56 PM
My Dad used to keep pigeons in the South Bronx back in the 1940's-50's. In those days most roof's had pigeon coops and even into the 60's-70's pigeon coops were still popular on many Bronx roofs. There was hardly a time I could come into the Bronx by day and not see pigeons flying off many a roof. A lot of the guys used to pride themselves on being able to capture other guys pigeons or to bring in stray pigeons...or "clinkers" as they were called then. In later years 80's-early 90's homers grew in popularity. Seems everyone wanted homers. A friend of mine was at a pigeon spot in Brooklyn and remembers Mike Tyson (yes the fighter) commenting, "Homers...homers, all anyone wants these day's is homers".

Yeah he had a spot on the news talking about pigeons.

W1GUH
06-01-2011, 11:32 AM
And the guy in Heavy Traffic was into pigeons -- til he set them all free.

BTW...surely you can't housebreak pigeons....or can you? I've heard tha parrots can be...but pigeons? Do you have to erect a statue for training?

w2amr
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
And the guy in Heavy Traffic was into pigeons -- til he set them all free.

BTW...surely you can't housebreak pigeons....or can you?
Nope, but they can be equipt with a spiffy custom diaper.

KB3LAZ
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Nope, but they can be equipt with a spiffy custom diaper.

I started to build a cage and ended up with a loft. o0

KG4CGC
06-01-2011, 06:50 PM
I started to build a cage and ended up with a loft. o0
Don't forget to run a line for cable.

NA4BH
06-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Don't forget to run a line for cable.

I've found that if you run the phone line at the same time, it saves a lot of work. Even if you don't use the phone line at first. Inquire about the free 3 months of HBO and Cinemax.

KB3LAZ
06-01-2011, 06:54 PM
ahah not gonna happen

NQ6U
06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I've found that if you run the phone line at the same time, it saves a lot of work. Even if you don't use the phone line at first. Inquire about the free 3 months of HBO and Cinemax.

Might as well run a CAT-5 cable for his broadband Internet connection while you're at it.

NA4BH
06-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Go ahead and punch a hole for fiber while you're at it.

Kids nowadays cost a lot of money.

N7RJD
06-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Kids nowadays cost a lot of money.

Is that why I can't find a buyer for mine?

NQ6U
06-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Is that why I can't find a buyer for mine?

Have you tried Craigslist?

NA4BH
06-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Have you tried Craigslist?

Again, beer shot from my nose.

w2amr
06-02-2011, 03:59 AM
Don't forget to run a line for cable.And the 115 VAC for lights , heater in the winter , and fans in the summer.:agree:

W1GUH
06-02-2011, 11:47 AM
And the 115 VAC for lights , heater in the winter , and fans in the summer.:agree:

And coax and rotor cable and balanced line.

w2amr
06-02-2011, 12:20 PM
And coax and rotor cable and balanced line.
Nah, my pigeons are happy with the basics.

NQ6U
06-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Nah, my pigeons are happy with the basics.

They're happy with a single-bander and a wire dipole.

w2amr
06-02-2011, 12:55 PM
They're happy with a single-bander and a wire dipole.
They operate on the pigeon band.