PDA

View Full Version : TR-3 Vital signs look good....

W1GUH
05-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Finally got to give 'er a good check-out and all looks very good. The receiver sounds normal, the transmitter tunes up normal - gets about 150 watts out, and sounds good in a receiver. Only thing that's not quite right is it wants a hi-z mic and I've only got lo-z mics; audio is a little low, but it's adequate for now.

Got a shock when I learned how it does AM (Grrrrr). As it turns out, it'll only receive SSB and you switch from rx to tx by switching the function switch from SSB through CW to AM!? How crummy...but, it'll do, I guess.

Considering the state of the DC supply that came with it, I thought it may have been pretty abused; but no -- it seems AOK.

Pretty much what's left is to go through and get the mechanical connections for grounds solid. There does seem to be some flakiness there -- but that could also be the temp. compensating caps in the PTO. On warm up the PTO would drift a little, then jump back to where it was. This went on for a while until it had warmed up, and then it seemed stable except when I banged on it. Then it jumped slightly.

Can't wait to get it out on the road and hear it come alive!

N8YX
05-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Pretty much what's left is to go through and get the mechanical connections for grounds solid. There does seem to be some flakiness there -- but that could also be the temp. compensating caps in the PTO. On warm up the PTO would drift a little, then jump back to where it was. This went on for a while until it had warmed up, and then it seemed stable except when I banged on it. Then it jumped slightly.

Can't wait to get it out on the road and hear it come alive!

Drake issued a bulletin regarding PTO frequency jumping - check to see if yours has a piece of braid run between the
PTO frame (ground) and the wiper/screw mechanism which moves the inductor core in and out of the coil. Add it if not present. Ron, 'HFN should have details on his site.

W1GUH
05-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks, I'll look for that tonight. But this doesn't happen when I tune, tuning is nice and smooth. But that sounds like a good thing to do regardless.

mw0uzo
05-28-2011, 04:42 AM
Got any pics?

W1GUH
05-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Update.....

The next night when I turned it on warm-up was 100% normal. There was none of the jumping I heard the previous night. Seems that whatever it was finally woke up.

Pix? Sure, I could do some. Should document what it looks like now, anyway. Anything in particular you want to see?

WØTKX
05-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Anything in particular you want to see?

KNOBS, of course... :mrgreen: