PDA

View Full Version : The places noise can come from in a car.

W1GUH
05-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Lastest one is from the dashboard light dimmer. (Paradise by the dashboard lights?) When turned down from max brightness it introduces a nasty buzz into my XM radio....ham rigs are unaffected. This drove me nuts til I found it. Obviously works on a duty cycle arrangement.

KI6LWI
05-25-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm guessing it outputs a square wave to lower the duty cycle, and the harmonics of the output are what's getting into your XM. I bet a cap on the dimmer output shunted to ground would fix it.

W1GUH
05-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Nah...it's easy -- just set the brightness to max (where I want it any) and it's gone. And, yea, as I vary the dimmer the harmonic content changes.

NQ6U
05-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Most of the noise in my car comes from the passenger seat.

W1GUH
05-25-2011, 05:01 PM
That's why I always drive solo.

W3MPS
05-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Ha ha. Reminds me of a trip last summer. The girlfriend and I were going to the beach when I decided to turn on my CB and tell the truck driver who had been tailgating me for the last 15 miles how I truly felt about him. Instant deluge of RF noise ranging from S5 to S9.

Me: "Dammit, now I need a new cap and rotor!"

GF: "How can you be so sure honey?"

Me: "I used the amazing powers of my mind."

GF: ???????

Me: "The radio is going nuts from ignition noise."

GF: still ???

Me: "Nevermind, I'll just show you when we pull into the auto parts store down the road."

The good news is, I'm starting to win the battle against automotive illiteracy with her. Maybe some day I can get her to change her own oil....

W1GUH
05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Sounds like playing with fire to me! :lol:

kb2vxa
05-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Aw cummon, you KNOW the most annoying broad band noise that covers everything and is impossible to suppress is harmonics in the back seat!

NQ6U
05-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Aw cummon, you KNOW the most annoying broad band noise that covers everything and is impossible to suppress is harmonics in the back seat!

I drive a Ford Ranger—no back seat.

W3MPS
05-31-2011, 08:09 PM

As my father used to say, "@#!!!! if you kids don't shut the hell up, I WILL turn this car around and we will go back home! I don't care if we're an hour away from your aunt and your @#&^ uncle's." Keep in mind this was a 14 or so hour drive from our house to our relatives. Or my personal favorite, "Don't make me come back there!" Or Mom's, "Just wait until your father gets home."

Said broadband noise desisted shortly thereafter.

w3bny
06-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Most of the noise in my car comes from the passenger seat.

And has tits!