PDA

View Full Version : Why Dayton?

W4GPL
05-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Just pondering how Dayton, OH became the king of hamfests? And how has it stayed on top? You'd think Orlando would have bested them -- if for no other reason than it's a more attractive travel destination.

:dunno: When you think of world class convention centers, you just don't think of Dayton, Ohio.. unless you're a ham radio operator or Serbian. ;)

N8YX
05-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Trotwood is near the old Drake HQ. Perhaps that had something to do with it...

WØTKX
05-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Chicago, Denver, Atlanta are all major airline hubs. Personally I think Chicago would be a very good choice. There has been a lot of discussion about Dayton getting very run down.

I'm more interested in attending the Belton, TX hamfest someday, just because of all the stories I have heard. And meeting a lot of the characters I have talked to over the years as well. :snicker:

KG4CGC
05-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Shelby was turning into a joke until the new town manager totally effed up that situation. The new location has worked out very well and doesn't smell like a pile of manure. The times I had been to Shelby at the old site, there were still piles of livestock dropping in the covered areas that were normally used to house bulls, horses, sheep and goats.
Atlanta has hamfest at Stone Mountain. Small but it is more of a grower, not a show'er. It'll get bigger over the years but it attracts a lot of whackers. More so than most.

suddenseer
05-22-2011, 01:54 PM
I have not gone in years. I have attended maybe a dozen times over the years. It seemed to be grander in the 70's. I heard a discussion on "Why it's Dayton" at some DARA meetings. For many reason's, back in the 50's-60's there was a higher concentration of amateur radio operators in the Dayton area. It started out as a local event mostly tailgating. Dayton is a one day drive from something like 70% of the country's population. I used to volunteer to work at hamvention in exchange for a free ticket. The politicians that really run DARA are not the ones that the public sees. I became disillusioned with the whole thing. I later learned the description of what was bugging me is "wackerism". As to the "getting very run down" HARA arena was run down when I was a kid. I love the flea market. To me, the flea market is the best part of hamvention. I only go when I have the $$ in hand, and the need for specific items. I hate shopping. I did see WB6ACU pushing a cart full of Collins gear at the flea market.

N8YX
05-22-2011, 02:38 PM
I did see WB6ACU pushing a cart full of Collins gear at the flea market.
I've seen Lemon James there for years. Sometimes with a bit of electronic stuff for sale, but definitely not so much to warrant the purchase of a flea market spot.

Go figure.

W4GPL
05-22-2011, 03:45 PM
FWIW, I've never been to Dayton - hope to go someday. I'm not being critical of the location, I'm sure they do a great job.. I think it's just odd that a relatively small city in Ohio is Mecca for us hams.

suddenseer
05-22-2011, 04:24 PM
FWIW, I've never been to Dayton - hope to go someday. I'm not being critical of the location, I'm sure they do a great job.. I think it's just odd that a relatively small city in Ohio is Mecca for us hams.There you go putting "odd", and "ham" in the same sentence. Last year, 50,000 people gathered in a remote place in the Nevada desert for the Burning Man event. I hope to make it to Burning Man some day.

N7YA
05-23-2011, 02:23 AM
There you go putting "odd", and "ham" in the same sentence. Last year, 50,000 people gathered in a remote place in the Nevada desert for the Burning Man event. I hope to make it to Burning Man some day.

Yeah, and so did the corporate sponsors who wanted to whore out the event like they always do with anything organic and real. They spend more money, and eventually have more say over the running of the event until it dies a slow death of mediocrity. But my buddy went this year, he loved it.

Why not have the big convention in Vegas every year? Convention centers everywhere, never a shortage of nice rooms, any kind of food you want, always adult stuff for the unencumbered...the place is built for a Dayton sized hamvention!

:whistle: ...just a thought.

suddenseer
05-23-2011, 03:11 AM
Yeah, and so did the corporate sponsors who wanted to whore out the event like they always do with anything organic and real. They spend more money, and eventually have more say over the running of the event until it dies a slow death of mediocrity. But my buddy went this year, he loved it.

Why not have the big convention in Vegas every year? Convention centers everywhere, never a shortage of nice rooms, any kind of food you want, always adult stuff for the unencumbered...the place is built for a Dayton sized hamvention!

:whistle: ...just a thought.You start the movement, I will follow. You are spot on when any 'pure' happening goes commercial. I used to attend the International Real Witches Ball. it started out as a free street festival near the OSU campus. It moved to top end hotels downtown Columbus. We had the run of the place. I am pagnostic, but i prefer the company of pagans over most xtians. It was a wonderful weekend event, I have made still existing bonds with pagan folk all over the world. The guy who started it went commercial, and brought in big publishers, it died a quick death.

W4GPL
05-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Sounds great.. HamIsland's Inaugural HamFest in Las Vegas, NV, February 2012? :)

W3WN
05-23-2011, 09:59 AM
I've seen Lemon James there for years. Sometimes with a bit of electronic stuff for sale, but definitely not so much to warrant the purchase of a flea market spot.

Go figure.Must be for the exposure. Not that that tiny halter top and those short shorts are really doing much for her.

W3WN
05-23-2011, 10:05 AM
To answer the question, you have to remember that 50 - 60 years ago, there was a large concentration of Amateur manufacturers in the Dayton area. Drake certainly; I used to know some of the others off the tops of my head, but I'd have to give it some thought. And not just Amateur gear, but other electronics as well. Of those that weren't in the immediate area, quite a few (Hallicrafters for one) weren't that far away.

This was in part due to the presence of Wright-Paterson AFB and related support.

Also factor in the concentration, at the time, of the amateur population in the then-industrial Northeast.

Hamvention was one of the first to invite the major manufacturers (which at the time were primarily domestic), put on forums, and so forth. Originally in one of the hotels downtown, then later at the HARA dive, er, Arena.

Why Dayton? Tradition.

Could another group come along and, somewhere else, put on a show to top Hamvention? Certainly, but it won't happen overnight.

ka4dpo
05-23-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't see any hamfest like Dayton ever happening anywhere else. Dayton is kind of a military town and not a real cultural center for anything so they welcome the fest and the money that comes with it. Unfortunately, places like Orlando, Las Vegas, or any other major city just doesn't want to be the "home of the largest hamfest". Not because of the money but because of the people that show up in droves. Think how embarassing it would be to the owner of a large Las Vegas hotel to be innundated with stinky fat people carting greasy old radio crap all over the place. The normal customers would leave and tell everyone they know to never go to that place. Think of the money they would loose.

On the other hand the Harra Arena is a crumbling pig stye far from anything so no one really cares if you pee on the floor or walk around with a three week case of BO. I just don't see it happening.

W3WN
05-23-2011, 11:36 AM
You may not have heard what happened on Saturday, BTW.

A main sewage line broke in the parking lot below the actual arena, and a good portion of the West flea market was covered. I had the misfortune of being out there when it happened, fortunately for me, I managed to avoid stepping in or on anything, ah, pungent. There was a rumor that the cause was someone putting in a tent spike, but the more I think about that, the less likely that seems (considering the time of the morning, you'd think all of the vendor tents would have already been set up, for one thing.)

As a direct result, all but one or two restrooms in the complex had to be shut down.

Most of the vendors that were in the direct path of the... wave... got moved. Probably the first time they were happy that there were empty spots in the flea market!

Word was that the HARA people had a backhoe out later that day, and the the pipe was repaired overnight. We left late Saturday, so I can't tell you what Sunday was like.

N9FE
05-23-2011, 01:40 PM
A few just got back up here. Poop fest 2011 is the word. I guess you did not want to be down wind.. Whooow

W5GA
05-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Just pondering how Dayton, OH became the king of hamfests? And how has it stayed on top? You'd think Orlando would have bested them -- if for no other reason than it's a more attractive travel destination.

:dunno: When you think of world class convention centers, you just don't think of Dayton, Ohio.. unless you're a ham radio operator or Serbian. ;)
For the same reason that the DX Convention is held at the Holiday Inn, Visalia, Ca.

NQ6U
05-23-2011, 01:54 PM
For the same reason that the DX Convention is held at the Holiday Inn, Visalia, Ca.

I always wondered about that one. Visalia is a freakin' hell-hole! Why would anyone want to go there voluntarily?

W5GA
05-23-2011, 03:19 PM
I always wondered about that one. Visalia is a freakin' hell-hole! Why would anyone want to go there voluntarily?
Not to mention hard to get to for those that don't live in Ca.

I know the answer to the question, though. WAAAAAAYYYYYYY back when, this started as a meeting/convention with just NCDXC AND SCDXC. It used to be held in Fresno, but moved a bit south when they couldn't get the Del Webb center any longer. I attended in '71...the only Novice there. Nothing like a big round of applause from the adults for a 15 y/o kid. At the time I had K, JA, VE, XE and KZ5 confirmed.

KG4CGC
05-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Go check out some of the comments regarding Poopfest 2011 at Hamsexy. Priceless!

W3WN
05-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Go check out some of the comments regarding Poopfest 2011 at Hamsexy. Priceless!No, sorry. Quite snarky if anything. But it's obvious that whomever wrote that stuff wasn't there.

Look, it was bad, and yes, there was literally sewage over a good section of the West flea market area. No gushers, though. From that description, you'd be thinking that Old Faithful itself had moved from Yellowstone. It was more a steady flow.

More importantly, though... this was something that was completely out of the Hamvention's control, it could have happened to anyone who was set up at the Arena. And -- there was another, earlier leak, just water though, in another part of the flea market before the big one hit. So clearly, HARA has some plumbing issues with decaying underground pipes and related infrastructure.

So what do you want the Hamvention guys to do?

They moved the vendors in the affected areas out as best they could. They cordoned the area off. Meanwhile, someone else got HARA's staff involved to get the flow stopped and get the area cleaned up. And I'm sure that the vendors who had merchandise damaged or destroyed by the muck will be talking to the Arena's insurance company regarding liability claims.

Yeah. I know. The cliche of the smelly, unwashed, overweight ham. Yuck, yuck. I'll tell you, while I saw more hams on scooters than ever (and a good many of them were not just overweight but clearly clinically obese -- and rude, many would plow into a crowd and you had to dive out of their way, I'm lucky I didn't get run over a few times... and indoors, more than a few vendor booths got smacked by these idiots) it wasn't out of hand.

But fountains of dreck? Rivers of liquid dreck? No. Did not happen. And it was noticed almost instantly, it wasn't covered by the "smell" of "thousands" of unwashed humans.

Now, I've never been a big fan of Hamsexy, but this is a new low, even for them.

KG4CGC
05-24-2011, 09:12 AM
But it's obvious that whomever wrote that stuff wasn't there.

Just enjoy the humor and yes, many of them were there and even took pictures of the poop truck with the poop workers standing in the poop puddles.

KK4AMI
05-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I lived in Dayton for 10 years. The only reason I can see for having the Hamvention there is that my spouse never wanted to go there with me! Vegas, forget about it! I'd have to split my radio money to fund her gambling and entertainment???

ka4dpo
05-24-2011, 01:30 PM

I rest my case...

W3WN
05-24-2011, 02:36 PM
I always wondered about that one. Visalia is a freakin' hell-hole! Why would anyone want to go there voluntarily?For the onions?

KC2UGV
05-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Hams are cheap, so they tend to set up meetings at inexpensive places...

I don't think hams would flock to Las Vegas for a hamfest. Why not? It would cost too much. Tickets to Dayton are what, $25? Imagine Las Vegas.

NQ6U
05-24-2011, 02:54 PM
For the onions?

Hah!

They probably do grow onions there, though—they grow just about everything else. In fact, the climate is better suited for vegetation than it is for human beings.

KG4CGC
05-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Hah!

They probably do grow onions there, though—they grow just about everything else. In fact, the climate is better suited for vegetation than it is for human beings.I hear you know when you're within 50 miles of Gilroy from any direction, wind or not.

NQ6U
05-24-2011, 03:01 PM
I hear you know when you're within 50 miles of Gilroy from any direction, wind or not.

Probably more like 10 miles, but still.

Gilroy is 100 miles and a mountain range away from Visalia, though.

KG4CGC
05-24-2011, 03:05 PM
http://www.kansastravel.org/geographicalcenter.htm

Have the hamfest here.

NQ6U
05-24-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.kansastravel.org/geographicalcenter.htm

Have the hamfest here.

Hold it in the chapel.

(I think I'd rather go to Visalia...)

WV6Z
05-24-2011, 04:26 PM
For the onions?

A long way away from the place almost named after onions is the real deal....... If it were in Vidalia http://www.vidaliaonionfestival.com/ or in Vandalia http://www.vandaliaillinois.com/touristcenter.html I would likely still attend....... Visalia, ummm, no, I don't think so.

KG4CGC
05-24-2011, 04:48 PM
A long way away from the place almost named after onions is the real deal....... If it were in Vidalia http://www.vidaliaonionfestival.com/ or in Vandalia http://www.vandaliaillinois.com/touristcenter.html I would likely still attend....... Visalia, ummm, no, I don't think so.
Isn't Visalia where petroleum based lubricants for the home originate from?

NQ6U
05-24-2011, 04:58 PM

What lubricants were you thinking of?

Visalia is mostly a farming area—lots of table grapes, olives, cotton, citrus and livestock. It's also miserably hot in the summer and has some of the worst air quality in the U.S. pretty much year-round.

WV6Z
05-25-2011, 07:53 AM
What lubricants were you thinking of?

Visalia is mostly a farming area—lots of table grapes, olives, cotton, citrus and livestock. It's also miserably hot in the summer and has some of the worst air quality in the U.S. pretty much year-round.

word

W1GUH
05-25-2011, 08:15 AM

Oh, the fuel for some cars?

NQ6U
05-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Oh, the fuel for some cars?

Nah—oil country is a bit farther south, nearer to Bakersfield. And Bakersfield is an even worse hell-hole than Visalia, as hard as that may be to imagine. In fact, the whole of the San Joaquin Valley from Sacramento to the Tehachapi Mountains is best avoided, IMHO.

W1GUH
05-25-2011, 08:54 AM
I'll post the story where that comment came from over in the rumpus room.

KB3LAZ
05-27-2011, 11:36 PM
In this area no Ham Fest will be king this year. Simply put the weather sucks and that is not good for the season.

W3WN
05-28-2011, 01:10 AM
In this area no Ham Fest will be king this year. Simply put the weather sucks and that is not good for the season.Well, well, well. Look who's back!

Glad to hear from you Trav.

Going to Breezeshooter's?

KB3LAZ
05-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Well, well, well. Look who's back!

Glad to hear from you Trav.

Going to Breezeshooter's?

Yes I am :) You?

VE7DCW
05-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Travis .....WB... LTNS ..... I read what you were up to in your birthday thread I started .... well....at least congratulations are in order! ;)

W3WN
05-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes I am :) You?Oh yes.

The picnic is on as usual. How many burgers do you want? Or do you prefer hot dogs.

suddenseer
05-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Oh yes.

The picnic is on as usual. How many burgers do you want? Or do you prefer hot dogs.How about one of those kosher cheeseburgers?:yum::evil:

NQ6U
05-29-2011, 05:33 PM
How about one of those kosher cheeseburgers?:yum::evil:

The one's with bacon on 'em, you mean? Gimme two, and a bowl of the clam chowder, too.

suddenseer
05-29-2011, 06:12 PM
nah, just mixing dairy, and meat in the same vessel, or dish is a no no. My reformed relatives would ask for a fresh cheeseburger off the grill after the conservative relatives left the cook out, and went home. I am not jewish, but my jewish relatives have provided a plethora of funny family jokes. My gramma was jewish, and I bet she could out cook your Italian gramma. My gram made the ass kickin home made blintzes for the festival of lights that I have yet to find an equal.

W3WN
05-29-2011, 06:36 PM
How about one of those kosher cheeseburgers?:yum::evil:
You'll have to bring your own veggie burger then. I'll stick with beef.

N7YA
06-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Hams are cheap, so they tend to set up meetings at inexpensive places...

I don't think hams would flock to Las Vegas for a hamfest. Why not? It would cost too much. Tickets to Dayton are what, $25? Imagine Las Vegas.

Actually, we took a major hit on the economy so things are even cheaper than they were before. Tickets to here from all over are quite cheap, and usually bundled with rooms and rentals for good prices. And you dont have to get a room 3 towns away.

Im not pushing for it any further than this because i honestly wouldnt know where to begin. But this place is designed and built for conventions and entertainment.

...and hey, when in Vegas, stop by Harrahs and check out the kickass headliner band, i hear they're really good. :whistle:

KC2UGV
06-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Actually, we took a major hit on the economy so things are even cheaper than they were before. Tickets to here from all over are quite cheap, and usually bundled with rooms and rentals for good prices. And you dont have to get a room 3 towns away.

Im not pushing for it any further than this because i honestly wouldnt know where to begin. But this place is designed and built for conventions and entertainment.

...and hey, when in Vegas, stop by Harrahs and check out the kickass headliner band, i hear they're really good. :whistle:

Yep, tickets are cheaper, but people also have even less money to spend...

KB3LAZ
06-02-2011, 03:42 PM

o0 <<< has more to spend than before mwhahaha! And yet now someone to spend it on so it seem less. xP

KC2UGV
06-02-2011, 08:27 PM
o0 <<< has more to spend than before mwhahaha! And yet now someone to spend it on so it seem less. xP

Generally how it works... :lol:

N7YA
06-04-2011, 05:51 PM

You mean HAMS have less money to spend? :lol: You may be right in that respect. But somehow, weve noticed the local sales and traffic...especially traffic:irked:...has increased.

Either way, cant we just have it here so i can go every year??

KC2UGV
06-04-2011, 07:12 PM
You mean HAMS have less money to spend? :lol: You may be right in that respect. But somehow, weve noticed the local sales and traffic...especially traffic:irked:...has increased.

Either way, cant we just have it here so i can go every year??

Make it so, Number 1.

N7YA
06-05-2011, 06:00 AM
It will be much easier making a number 2. :lol:

KB3LAZ
06-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Generally how it works... :lol:

Meh, it is slowing down. Bleh with so and so thread count on sheets, pillow cases, and curtains. I should buy stock in Ikea. Dont get me wrong, our trips to Ikea are enjoyable and would be more so if this stuff wasnt sitting in boxes in my storage awaiting an apartment 2 months from now. Aside from the Ikea trips the one thing that made my eyes go o0 was the coffee machine! 439$ for a coffee machine....damn K-cups. Lol, ofc I got the "filter drip coffee is dirty sock water".

PS: I cant say much, she makes more than I do. :P