05-18-2011, 11:51 AM
These Ubuntu folks is crazy!

11.04 going into the box now.

NQ6U
05-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Alleviate Aliteration!

KC2UGV
05-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm not a fan of the naming schemes, but meh. It's 11.04 for me, or I just call it "natty" (Only because the term is all over sources.list).

WB0LSR
05-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Damn.. I just got used to 10.04.

W3MIV
05-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Very interesting and vastly improved GUI (IMO). Open Office got dumped in favor of Libre Office -- have to see what that's all about.

Time will tell.

KC2UGV
05-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Very interesting and vastly improved GUI (IMO). Open Office got dumped in favor of Libre Office -- have to see what that's all about.

Time will tell.

Libre is a fork of OpenOffice. Should be largely the same.

KI6LWI
05-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Same here, haven't had to reload my computer since I installed 10.04 last year. Very tempted to try the new distro, but at the same time this one is working well enough that I'm not sure i want to change anything :lol:

KC2UGV
05-18-2011, 02:43 PM

Same here, haven't had to reload my computer since I installed 10.04 last year. Very tempted to try the new distro, but at the same time this one is working well enough that I'm not sure i want to change anything :lol:

Don't feel the need to rush too much. 10.04 is still the latest LTS.

ad4mg
05-19-2011, 03:51 AM

Time will tell.
Yep, the Unity desktop is pleasingly functional eye candy. OpenOffice is still in the distribution and can be installed if necessary. So far, Libre Office has been up to the task here.

You can select the classic Gnome desktop on startup (just before you input your password), and I see little difference there. TrueCrypt isn't in the distro yet, a mild annoyance. Installation was nice (I did a clean install). You can optionally choose to add restricted extras, proprietary drivers, and updates on the fly during installation, if you have an internet connection available via network cable. Wireless, sound card, and video support is vastly improved, and pretty much fully automated. It picked up a USB 7.1 Sound Blaster card on my son's computer without issue. The two installations I've performed so far, both 64 bit on machine with at least 4 GB RAM was very fast on bootup, less than 30 seconds excluding the time to type in the password.

Not only are their OS names odd, they seriously need help on their default desktop wallpapers. Just as before, the default wallpaper is pretty hideous.

KC2UGV
05-19-2011, 05:31 AM
You don't need TrueCrypt. Just create a aes-loop device :)

n6hcm
05-20-2011, 04:54 AM
You can select the classic Gnome desktop on startup (just before you input your password), and I see little difference there.

i was required to select the gnome desktop (i wanted unity) ... some nonsense about my hardware not supporting unity. (this on a stinkpad t41 ...)