PDA

View Full Version : Reward card needed for K mart now

kc7jty
05-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Tried to buy a box of crackers at K mart today and was told I needed a reward card to get the special sale price.
ALTHOUGH I WAS THINKING SHOVE 'EM UP YOUR AZZ. I said keep them.

W4GPL
05-17-2011, 07:01 AM
I was at a WinnDixie liquor store a couple of years ago and refused to sign up up their card to get a couple of bucks of a bottle. I requested to speak to the manager, waited there for 15 minutes, he came in and scanned his own cards and asked the cashier WTF was wrong with her.. Stand up to that shit, they'll relent and give you the discount anyway.

KC2UGV
05-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Meh. It's the same card used at Sears as well. A bonus, is they email you a copy of your receipt. No more worrying if the thermal print will go black on you, leaving you with no return options. Plus, you get reward points for buying, double points for reviewing items you've bought, and specials only to card holders.

Yes, I have one. It's a good deal, all in all. They were able to track me before (I use credit cards exclusively almost). Might as well get a benefit from it.

W4GPL
05-17-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't mind so much if they know I bought a t-shirt or a washer & dryer, but those cards at pharmacies and liquor stores really concern me. They can make all the privacy statements they want, but their privacy is only as good as the $20/hour administrator/developer they've hired... or company they've contracted. I don't want my pharmaceutical or drinking history to become a part of a massive data dump one day.

And if I'm in a store that I rarely visit, I resent having to carry around yet another card just so I can save a few cents. Give me the friggin' discount. I reject the concept of discount cards, especially those without rewards -- which is more common than not.

Some stores will just give you the card and tell you to fill it out later. In those cases, I just take the card once and dump it in the trash.

WØTKX
05-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Pretty much only the grocery stores for me. Get plenty of email spam as it is.

KI6LWI
05-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Safeway has a similar program, but if you don't have a card they just hand one with an application. I never filled mine out, and kept the card. They can keep their spam, I ain't signing nothin' :evil:

W4GPL
05-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Most stores are pretty good about it and just scan a spare card they have at the register. I've only ever had to fight it once.. and I got my discount that time too.

NQ6U
05-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I just fill out the forms with bogus info. No one is the wiser and the cards still work.

W4GPL
05-17-2011, 09:57 AM
I just fill out the forms with bogus info. No one is the wiser and they still work.Then what's the point? They'll give you the discount regardless.

NQ6U
05-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Then what's the point? They'll give you the discount regardless.

They want the demographic data. By making up a fictitious person, they think they're getting it and you get the discount without the hassle and without giving up your privacy.

N8YX
05-17-2011, 10:20 AM
K-mart...bought Sears.

Then the company began to shift the production of the Craftsman hand tool line overseas.

What was once considered a high-end consumer/low-end industrial-grade tool has started slipping in quality. Myself and many others feel that if we want to go the cheap Chinese route for an occasional-use tool there's always Harbor Freight.

I have a number of Craftsman tools. As they break they're getting replaced with Snap-On.

W5GA
05-17-2011, 11:02 AM
I have a number of Craftsman tools. As they break they're getting replaced with Snap-On.
I've got an antique store near me, and one of the vendors does nothing but tools acquired from estate sales and auctions. Lots of vintage stuff there, including old Craftsman. The only problem I have with Snap-On is the prices. You can go broke quick shopping off the tool truck!

W3WN
05-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Meh. It's the same card used at Sears as well. A bonus, is they email you a copy of your receipt. No more worrying if the thermal print will go black on you, leaving you with no return options. Plus, you get reward points for buying, double points for reviewing items you've bought, and specials only to card holders.

Yes, I have one. It's a good deal, all in all. They were able to track me before (I use credit cards exclusively almost). Might as well get a benefit from it.Why not? K-Mart owns Sears. Or is it the other way around, not that it matters?

The so-called "Rewards cards" are the latest rage. It permits them to track trends in what people are buying... and in what you are buying. Of COURSE, they have only the best of intentions with the data they collect...

KI6LWI
05-17-2011, 02:34 PM
K-mart...bought Sears.

Then the company began to shift the production of the Craftsman hand tool line overseas.

What was once considered a high-end consumer/low-end industrial-grade tool has started slipping in quality. Myself and many others feel that if we want to go the cheap Chinese route for an occasional-use tool there's always Harbor Freight.

Same story here. The thing that really irks me is that as my older, American-made Craftsman tools break or wear out, the warranty replacement I get is cheap China crap. And they're still charging the old American-made prices. If I want China crap, I'll go to Harbor Freight where at least they don't try to hide it, and the prices are more in line with reality. While I once had mostly Craftsman tools in my box, now I find myself buying other American and European brands like Snap-On, Wright, Wera, ChannelLock, old SK, Proto, etc. MAC Tools did the same thing a few years back (switching from USA to China and not telling anyone), and they lost a huge market share, and were almost put out of business because of it...

kc7jty
05-17-2011, 10:39 PM
I have SK & Craftsman tools I bought over 40 years ago. Some of my friends would laugh at me for wiping all the dirt & grease off them after use. Never a complaint, and I know I stressed the 3/8 drive SK ratchet past it's design limit a few times.

NA4BH
05-17-2011, 10:43 PM

Works every time and you get the discounts

KA9MOT
05-20-2011, 09:49 AM
What is K-Mart? I see one here in town.....but I don't go in there........The parking lot is always empty and scary.

ka4dpo
05-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Here in Northern Virginia the Giant supermarket has a deal with Shell. If you have your store card when you buy groceries you get discount points for Shell gasoline. Lately I'm getting between 30 and 75 per gallon off each month and both our rides use premium ($4.35 gal) so that helps a lot. Bad part is it's only good once and then you start over so we drive both cars in and fill them up back to back without shutting off the pump.

Since we're retired we don't drive that much so for us it's a good deal. If I was still working and commuting 85 miles a day it wouldn't be much help.