PDA

View Full Version : My little project

NQ6U
05-16-2011, 05:53 PM
What I've been working on over the past few days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EagZAncQ5GA

It's a Homelite 35A115 generator, circa 1957. I've had it for years but it's been sitting unused and I just got it started up this afternoon. It's a 2-stroke engine and it's still got some fuel system issues but is in essentially good health. It is a noisy bastard, through; I think the muffler is rusted out from sitting all those years. I remember it as being surprisingly quiet the last time I ran it, much like a small 2-stroke street bike.

K7SGJ
05-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Looks like an APU out of a Bell......................never mind.

NA4BH
05-16-2011, 06:34 PM
It's not pink

N8YX
05-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Fossil power is yucky. :yuck:

NQ6U
05-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Looks like an APU out of a Bell......................never mind.

OMG! You're right! Should I paint it pink?

Actually, I heard that Homelite sold a lot of them to the U.S. Army for use on tanks. I haven't been able to confirm that, though.

suddenseer
05-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Field day!

NQ6U
05-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Field day!

Not quite ready for that yet. It tends to run for several minutes then quit. I'm sure it's a carburetor problem—I had to replace the float valve seat with one out of a Tecumseh carb, which no doubt put something out of whack. The fact that it started up so easily after all these years was encouraging, though. Of course, I had to spend a few hours cleaning about a pound of varnish and old two-stroke oil and other unidentifiable gunk out of the carburetor, fuel lines and tank first.

W5GA
05-16-2011, 07:33 PM
A generator like that, while cool, is probably not the ticket to run an SS rig on. Voltage and frequency regulation probably aren't very precise, and an SS rig won't like that very much.

N9FE
05-16-2011, 07:36 PM
The thing is, If you'd put a muffler on it, It prolly would't run right. Most of those old reed valve jobbers don't take well to back pressure. You could could try it. But don't surprized if she don't buck on ya.

KG4CGC
05-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Keep plugging at her, Carl.

NQ6U
05-16-2011, 08:30 PM
A generator like that, while cool, is probably not the ticket to run an SS rig on. Voltage and frequency regulation probably aren't very precise, and an SS rig won't like that very much.

Probably a good point, Doug. I'd certainly want to run some tests before I hooked up a rig to the thing. If nothing else, I could use it for charging a car battery.

W5GA
05-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Probably a good point, Doug. I'd certainly want to run some tests before I hooked up a rig to the thing. If nothing else, I could use it for charging a car battery.
Carl, this is what they made the Swan 350 for. Opportunity knocks!!! Or is that opporknockety tunes?

NQ6U
05-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Carl, this is what they made the Swan 350 for. Opportunity knocks!!! Or is that opporknockety tunes?

Yeah—stability hardly counts with a Swan Three-Drifty! Just don't try using it on the digital modes.

W5GA
05-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah—stability hardly counts with a Swan Three-Drifty! Just don't try using it on the digital modes.
Unless you're using the original digital mode. Dooowdidoooowdit doooowdooowdidooooow.

W3WN
05-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah—stability hardly counts with a Swan Three-Drifty! Just don't try using it on the digital modes.Don't laugh. Some do.

w2amr
05-21-2011, 05:00 AM
What I've been working on over the past few days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EagZAncQ5GA

It's a Homelite 35A115 generator, circa 1957. I've had it for years but it's been sitting unused and I just got it started up this afternoon. It's a 2-stroke engine and it's still got some fuel system issues but is in essentially good health. It is a noisy bastard, through; I think the muffler is rusted out from sitting all those years. I remember it as being surprisingly quiet the last time I ran it, much like a small 2-stroke street bike.
Nice, I like it.