PDA

View Full Version : Non ham must have Ham Radio

n2ize
05-12-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a friend who is not a ham and he would not think of transmitting illegally without a license yet he has a 10-80 meter HF rig. he also has a HF receiver, a scanner, a CB radio, numerous stereo systems ranging from old tube amps to modern stuff, turntables, reel to reel decks, cassette decks, a video disk player, a beta VCR and VHS VCR, CD players, DVD players CD/DVD players,handheld scanners, etc. The only think missing is VHF/UHF transceivers and an old cylinder player.

Why does he have all this stuff ? because he is one of those people who is obsessed with collecting things. Even if he can;t or never plans to use it he's gotta know it is there. With respect to media formats he has to know that he possesses the equipment to play any format someone may throw his way. Ditto for the radio gear. He isn't really interested in radio, he never uses it, and would not use it without a license but, he has to know it is there.

I understand the collector mentality to a degree, like wanting to collect things that might be old, rare, or might become hard to get. But collecting things that you never plan to use just to know it is there ?? I don't get it.

ab1ga
05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I understand the collector mentality to a degree, like wanting to collect things that might be old, rare, or might become hard to get. But collecting things that you never plan to use just to know it is there ?? I don't get it.

Wrong forum. You need to head "over there" and ask Pat, WA6MHZ.

K7SGJ
05-12-2011, 08:41 PM
<snip> I understand the collector mentality to a degree, like wanting to collect things that might be old, rare, or might become hard to get. But collecting things that you never plan to use just to know it is there ?? I don't get it.

Kinda why I married my wife.

W2NAP
05-12-2011, 08:46 PM
holy crap!

i like to collect radios.... but im poor. i cant even afford ramon

NQ6U
05-12-2011, 09:46 PM
holy crap!

i like to collect radios.... but im poor. i cant even afford ramon

And I'm sure Ramón is disappointed.

W2NAP
05-13-2011, 01:12 AM
And I'm sure Ramón is disappointed.

very. but pat over there keeps them in buiz he seems to buy alot of it.....

PA5COR
05-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Or he tries to make us believe that...

ki4itv
05-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Kinda why I married my wife.

:hahano:

W2NAP
05-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Or he tries to make us believe that...

it remains a mystery

KG4CGC
05-13-2011, 02:01 PM
it remains a mystery
Pat is very well to do but he overcompensates in the other direction since his callsign pretty much tells the world where to go to loot his stash of gear. That's what I get from it. That and he likes to tell stories like grandma likes to knit yarns.

W2NAP
05-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Pat is very well to do but he overcompensates in the other direction since his callsign pretty much tells the world where to go to loot his stash of gear. That's what I get from it. That and he likes to tell stories like grandma likes to knit yarns.

if someone tried to come steal my loot. they would be very disappointed.

KG4CGC
05-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Well, I remember a certain 4 lander who was a very prolific poster on the Zed until he found religion or some similar situation. He was found often complaining (long and loud) about how easy it would be for an enterprising criminal type to look up people on the FCC database to find out where to go to get free ham gear. Sounds easy but, the only people interested in ham gear are other hams, mostly, and it is more trouble than it is worth to sell overseas. You can lose your ass in a single foreign transaction because we are not protected by US laws when sending items abroad.
Yes, a lot of stolen gear ends up in South America and elsewhere but the profit is small for all the work involved compared to doing legit sales within our own borders.

NQ6U
05-13-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't know if Pat is exactly wealthy, but he's probably at least comfortable enough that he doesn't have to eat a lot of Top Ramen unless he wants to. From what I gather talking to other local hams, he's a well-respected* electronics bench tech for a small company in El Cajon ("The Box"), CA that's developing some interesting RF stuff for government/military contracts.

*Well-respected as a bench tech, that is. When I ask about him as a person, people tend to get this far away look in their eyes. "Different" is a common description applied to him.

KG4CGC
05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
I really enjoyed reading Pat's stories until he went off on the homeless guy. Whether his story was legit or not, there are some issues there and it causes one to pause and ask themselves, why does he continue to affiliate himself with 2 clubs that he seems to have a great deal of outward hate for?

Yes, it is something that can be discussed at length at psychiatry seminars. I wish the man no ill in action or thought. Oh crap! I forgot about the dog incident!
Nevermind. I should not let myself get brought down by this. Even though he puts his life out there for all to read his "Woe Is Me" lifestyle. I have to just go with, it's none of my business. He's only hurting himself.
His electronic ability is legendary.

W2NAP
05-13-2011, 03:04 PM
pat also has some kinda woody for the la 435

w2amr
05-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I have a friend who is not a ham and he would not think of transmitting illegally without a license yet he has a 10-80 meter HF rig. he also has a HF receiver, a scanner, a CB radio, numerous stereo systems ranging from old tube amps to modern stuff, turntables, reel to reel decks, cassette decks, a video disk player, a beta VCR and VHS VCR, CD players, DVD players CD/DVD players,handheld scanners, etc. The only think missing is VHF/UHF transceivers and an old cylinder player.

Why does he have all this stuff ? because he is one of those people who is obsessed with collecting things. Even if he can;t or never plans to use it he's gotta know it is there. With respect to media formats he has to know that he possesses the equipment to play any format someone may throw his way. Ditto for the radio gear. He isn't really interested in radio, he never uses it, and would not use it without a license but, he has to know it is there.

Check out these "Collectors"
Sorry abt the stupid commercial.
http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/video/

n2ize
05-14-2011, 11:08 PM
I really enjoyed reading Pat's stories until he went off on the homeless guy. Whether his story was legit or not, there are some issues there and it causes one to pause and ask themselves, why does he continue to affiliate himself with 2 clubs that he seems to have a great deal of outward hate for?

Yes, it is something that can be discussed at length at psychiatry seminars. I wish the man no ill in action or thought. Oh crap! I forgot about the dog incident!
Nevermind. I should not let myself get brought down by this. Even though he puts his life out there for all to read his "Woe Is Me" lifestyle. I have to just go with, it's none of my business. He's only hurting himself.
His electronic ability is legendary.

Is Pat the guy who is arachnophobic ? Or am I thinking of someone else ??

KG4CGC
05-15-2011, 01:25 AM
Pat is our good friend up on top of the hill with all the dog poop, full litter boxes and the little woman of the house who won't give it up and buys her son fast cars.
It's all true. He said so himself.

W3WN
05-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Is Pat the guy who is arachnophobic ? Or am I thinking of someone else ??Yes.

W2NAP
05-15-2011, 12:10 PM

he seems to fear the black widows... been tempted to post and tell him to watch for the brown recluse

KG4CGC
05-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Why does he have all this stuff ?
Before I was licensed in Amateur radio, I heard a lot of BS about what was the best thing to use to listen to the airwaves. Most people said that the best receiver was a transceiver. Over time, I learned that it doesn't always ring true. Build and design are the factors to look at. Some transceivers are rather deaf but may do well with the add on preamp offered by the manufacturer of the nearly deaf equipment.
Specialized commercial grade receivers like Hammarlund's SP-600 receive AM better than some high end Icoms and Kenwoods. That's my best example off the top of my head. Your mileage may vary with dosage.

NQ6U
05-15-2011, 01:29 PM
he seems to fear the black widows... been tempted to post and tell him to watch for the brown recluse

No brown recluse spiders in California. And a black widow bite is nasty.

W7XF
05-15-2011, 01:29 PM
pat also has some kinda woody for the la 435

Yeah. That's how Pat met ABNS.

W2NAP
05-15-2011, 02:47 PM
No brown recluse spiders in California. And a black widow bite is nasty.

i can send you some

NQ6U
05-15-2011, 03:07 PM
i can send you some

I have plenty out in my garden shed, thank you very much.

n0iu
05-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I have a friend who is not a ham and he would not think of transmitting illegally without a license...
And if you believe that, I have a lovely piece of property in Florida you might be interested in --

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/Swampland.jpg

Or maybe this bridge in Brooklyn --

http://brooklyn-bridge.visit-new-york-city.com/Brooklyn-Bridge-1.jpg

NQ6U
05-18-2011, 01:19 PM
And if you believe that, I have a lovely piece of property in Florida you might be interested in --

Or maybe this bridge in Brooklyn --

Forget those, I have a tower for sale, perfect for mounting that tribander:

http://www.visitingdc.com/images/eiffel-tower-picture.jpg

N8YX
05-18-2011, 01:29 PM
...Most people said that the best receiver was a transceiver...
The best receiver is one of a few different models which can be slaved to a companion transceiver...

...or one that does something unique among its peers.

Examples of the former include the TR7-R7.
Or KWM-2/75s-3A.
KWM-380/451s-1 (if more than 8 had ever been built...)
TS-820S/R-820.
IC-751A/R-71A.

Commercially, RF-1310A/RF-590A.

I've purposefully left out a number of vaunted classics for the simple fact they cannot readily be interfaced to a "matching" transceiver (if indeed one exists) due to IF and/or VFO frequency scheme differences.

n2ize
05-19-2011, 01:03 AM

No it's true. I have known this guy for over a quarter of a century. He really has no interest in radio nor the patience for it. Operating legally or illegally has no interest to him. It's just having the equipment. The guy has thousands of dollars worth of old/new audio/video stuff. The majority of it has never been used annd will never be used.

KG4CGC
05-19-2011, 01:33 AM
No it's true. I have known this guy for over a quarter of a century. He really has no interest in radio nor the patience for it. Operating legally or illegally has no interest to him. It's just having the equipment. The guy has thousands of dollars worth of old/new audio/video stuff. The majority of it has never been used annd will never be used.
Nevermind then. I was speaking from the standpoint of a user.