PDA

View Full Version : Talk about screwed up priorities

WX7P
05-12-2011, 04:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6534857

AUSTIN, Texas -- Several Texas senators are criticizing a $200,000 raise for Texas (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/251/texas-longhorns) basketball coach Rick Barnes as the university faces likely budget cuts.
School regents approved the raise Wednesday. Barnes was owed a $75,000 increase under his contract. Another $125,000 was added to keep him among the 10 highest-paid coaches in the country.
The Texas athletic department is self-supporting and the raise does not include tax money.
State Sen. Kirk Watson, a Democrat representing Austin, says the regents are tone deaf to a state budget crisis that could result in heavy cuts to Texas higher education.
In January, Texas Tech gave football coach Tommy Tuberville a $500,000 raise, prompting complaints by university faculty in Lubbock.

Texas governor Rick Perry whined about not getting federal money after their wildfire thing, yet this kind of crap goes on.

Unbelievable.

NA4BH
05-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I wonder how big the raise was for the head of the Arts department?

ZERO

W5GA
05-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Or how much new equipment the Science Dept. got?

WB0LSR
05-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah.. the more I see some of this kind of crap, the more I begin to honestly believe that in order for a person to be placed in a position of authority over almost any institution they must first prove their extreme aversion to common sense and logic. Quite often the things that these kinds of people do are criminal, but yet all the rest of us are expected to either laud those in power with respect and praise or stay silent. God forbid we should call their attention to their idiocy.

And yes.. the people in charge of the hospital that I work at are these same types of people, which is why this topic struck a nerve with me.

NQ6U
05-12-2011, 04:30 PM

ZERO

The art department is always the first one to have it's funding cut.

KG4CGC
05-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah. It's just drawing. My 12 year old niece can do that.

Then ask her to make you business cards for your company. ASSHOLE!

n2ize
05-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Well who needs arts ? That is for liberal potheads.

W5GA
05-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Them or music

WX7P
05-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Which is a bunch of crap that it happens that way.

I look at music and the arts the same way I look at sports. It's entertainment.

We have become a blockhead culture that awards gridiron prowess over artistic talent.

Before I graduated from High School in 1976, there was a "crisis" in the football program. The blockheads needed new helmets. So the powers that be rolled out one of those fold-em-up carnies to raise money for the goddamn football program. They got the money within 3 days.

As a band nerd, I had to sell candy.

NA4BH
05-12-2011, 06:20 PM
The band at the local HS gets very little funding from the school. Needless to say, the Boosters and kids are hustling to stay afloat. They always make enough to get the kids what ever they need. One year the band had just finished a fund-raiser and had a good bit of money in the account. The athletic folks found out about it and demanded that it be shared. The Boosters told them to go Fsck themselves. The band got new uniforms, the athletes had to actually dig in their pockets and do some fund-raising. They were devastated. If I may use a recent quote "JUSTICE WAS SERVED". Oh, sweet victory.

NQ6U
05-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Them or music

I generally lump music in when I bitch about the lack of arts funding in schools. Music, drama, visual arts—it's all art, and it always gets the shitty end of the stick when it comes to budget time.

kc7jty
05-13-2011, 12:11 AM

ZERO
Christians don't appreciate art, unless it's their scum boy Thomas Kinkade, which takes us back to the first part of this sentence.

N8YX
05-13-2011, 05:41 AM
We had a worse problem here. If coaches only coached I wouldn't mind floating their salaries...but too many educators in this system seemed to think their secondary "coaching" positions were more important than the academics which they were hired to teach.

I would like to see an absolute, enforced separation between the two.

KC2UGV
05-13-2011, 07:28 AM
The whole sports thing stems from cutting funding from education. The main reason Uni admins look at sports so heavily is because it attracts the most money into the Uni.

Give our unis decent funding, and this becomes a non-issue.

suddenseer
05-13-2011, 09:11 PM
The whole sports thing stems from cutting funding from education. The main reason Uni admins look at sports so heavily is because it attracts the most money into the Uni.

Give our unis decent funding, and this becomes a non-issue.Ding ding ding. You win a ceegar. Football, and basketball (men's) bring in lots of money to the school. TV/Radio income, ticket sales, NCAA merchandising, et al. All of the aforementioned efforts will not fill a stadium with cash paying patrons. It is always about the damn money.

N1LAF
05-14-2011, 01:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6534857

Texas governor Rick Perry whined about not getting federal money after their wildfire thing, yet this kind of crap goes on.

Unbelievable.

As you know, we heard the same thing here with coach Calhoun and his large salary. As these stories always started out as the highest paid CT state employees, then the facts came out on how much money is brought into the school. With winning coaches, you pay more, but you get much more in revenue. If they were not bringing in mucho revenue, they would not be paid that much. So, look at it this way, if they did not have this coach, they would have to ask for more funds from the tax payers.

N1LAF
05-14-2011, 01:40 PM

ZERO

Depends on how much the head of the Arts is bringing into the school

N1LAF
05-14-2011, 01:47 PM
We had a worse problem here. If coaches only coached I wouldn't mind floating their salaries...but too many educators in this system seemed to think their secondary "coaching" positions were more important than the academics which they were hired to teach.

I would like to see an absolute, enforced separation between the two.

Coaches are not hired for academics, they are hired to coach. This is not high school.

UCONN WOMEN'S BASKETBALL PROGRAM

In FY 08, the UConn women's basketball program generated $ 12 million in direct and indirect revenue and spent $ 6. 3 million in direct and indirect expenses. This included $ 494,023 in players' scholarships paid by the Division of Athletics. This compares to $ 14. 07 million in revenue and $ 7. 8 million in expenses for the men's basketball program during the same period.

The graduation rate for women's basketball players who entered in the 2001-02 school year is 100%. This compares to 33% for men's basketball players and 74% for all UConn Storrs freshman in this cohort.
The 2001 freshman cohort graduation rate among all Division I women's basketball programs was 65%.
The four-class average graduation rate for women's basketball players entering from 1998-99 through 2001-02 is 83%

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/rpt/2009-R-0175.htm

n2ize
05-14-2011, 05:15 PM
As you know, we heard the same thing here with coach Calhoun and his large salary. As these stories always started out as the highest paid CT state employees, then the facts came out on how much money is brought into the school. With winning coaches, you pay more, but you get much more in revenue. If they were not bringing in mucho revenue, they would not be paid that much. So, look at it this way, if they did not have this coach, they would have to ask for more funds from the tax payers.

Very true. A good (football, basketball, ...etc) coach is invaluable to a school in terms of revenue. In many ways much more valuable than an arts professor, science, math, litterature, etc. professor. I'm not saying this to be funny or to belittle these subjects. Sure, research into any of these fields is invaluable and can bring revenue into the school. But with a good coach who can produce a winning team season after season you have a consistent revenue machine that will probably pull in more than your academic departments.

KG4CGC
05-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Isn't Football the ultimate replication of war in a sport environment, short of actual wargame military training?
Kind of like the Ultimate Representation of Imperialism because it is all about land acquisition and reaching the "goal." Similar to our drive to the Pacific Ocean.
We call the Super Bowl winners, "World Champions" yet they have not played any teams outside of the US to earn such a title.

KC2UGV
05-19-2011, 12:25 PM

Now, imagine if we looked at below-12th grade education like that (And, looked at it for all instructors): If you pay more, you get better talent, and bring in more students.

As a parent, I'd move into the best school district I could.

W3WN
05-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Isn't Football the ultimate replication of war in a sport environment, short of actual wargame military training? < snip >Already covered by the late, great George Carlin: http://home.earthlink.net/~sscutchen/baseball/Quotes/baseball_vs_football.htm

On edit: I thought that version seemed different. Here's the original text from the album An Evening With Wally Londo featuring Bill Slaszo:
Baseball and Football..

Baseball is pastoral
Football is technological

Baseball is played in a park
Football is played in a stadium

Baseball...has no time limit. We don't know when it's gonna happen!
Football is rigidly timed, and it will end if we have to even go to sudden death

Baseball has the bunt
Football has the punt

Baseball's object is to go home...I'm going home!
In football, we're down in enemy territory, reaching for the end zone

In football we have the block, the clip, the kick, the blitz, the bomb, the offense, the defense
In baseball, we have the sacrifice

And in baseball, you make an error
In football, you pay a penalty

Woody Hayes wears a baseball hat during the football game Can you imagine if Walter Allston wore a football helmet during a baseball game? They would truck him away, man. "Get him outta the dugout, man. Check his calendar." And, here's a live version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_yq4L3M_I

KG4CGC
05-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks. I heard it on an original pressing of the album titled, "Class Clown."

NQ6U
05-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks. I heard it on an original pressing of the album titled, "Class Clown."

The versions were slightly different, IIRC. I think the Class Clown version was better.

KG4CGC
05-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Crap! Now I'm wondering if I actually heard it on the even rarer pressing of "Put Ons and Take Offs."