PDA

View Full Version : Android + GPSTether + Xastir = WIN

KC2UGV
05-11-2011, 11:21 AM
I've finally got it working! Most Android devices (Phones, particularly) have a GPS on board.

So, if you go and grab GPSTether from the Android market, SSH into your Linux machine (With port forwarding from the Android OS --> Linux box, port 2947), then you can configure a GPS port as internet GPS device, connected to localhost. Same port (2947).

One less device to carry (The GPS) in order to get tracking to work :)

W4GPL
05-11-2011, 11:27 AM
That is nice..

*wanders off grumbling something about owning a stupid Blackberry...*

WØTKX
05-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I've been thinking about getting a personal smartphone that will tether Internet as well as other stuff. When I am at work, a lot of stuff is blocked, but the iPhone is not... however it is work supplied, and the atmosphere is not "open". The iPhone is pretty nice, but I'm holding out for something different. My personal phone is a Razr, which will tether, but I have not changed my plan.

Toying with the idea of trying Cricket, as the unlimited data plan is cheap, and if you pay on time it's even better.
But I dunno, Internet access and web browsing is the most important.

KC2UGV
05-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Cricket carries the Huwaie Ascend, a decent Android phone. Virgin Mobile has a couple nice ones in the lineup as well, and $35/month unlimited talk, text, and data :)