PDA

View Full Version : What is WRONG with us?

kc7jty
05-08-2011, 11:46 PM
I went with an old friend's extended family, who took their invalid mother/grandmother to a Mother's Day buffet at a famous landmark restaurant here in PA. The place is a large, very old mansion, and I'll admit interesting decor.
$30/head before alcohol.
EVERYTHING was either boring as hell or outright bad. The crabcakes were into the I hope I survive this category.
The Prime Rib was OK but the "rarest" was quite overcooked, the turkey and stuffing were Salvation Army grade presliced prefab.
There were stuffed with ricotta cheese giant pasta shells that were ok but very bland, the brie cheese tasted just like air, and the Au Gratin potatoes tasted like they were from a can.

We were there from 4 to 5:30 PM and the place was about 75% capacity. Everybody just chowing down.
Good luck Lamb Tavern, in America I know you won't have any problem surviving another 100 years. You won't see me in there no mo tho.

n2ize
05-09-2011, 01:27 AM
i have come across this in many places. Some fancy restaurant with nice decor, great ambiance and a nice sized crowd yet the food leaves me wishing I went to Mickey D's instead. Don;t be surprised if they don;t last. Once the novelty wears off the crowds may thin out if the establsiment can;t operate on the merit of quality.

kc7jty
05-09-2011, 01:39 AM
That place has been there since the time of Christ.

W3MIV
05-09-2011, 05:39 AM
That place has been there since the time of Christ.

And that is usually the root of the problem.

PA5COR
05-09-2011, 06:27 AM
It takes years for a good restaurant to get a good name with good quality.
It can take a few weeks to lose all that was buildt up and go in decline.
It takes constant guarding of quality, and all that comes with running the place to keep a nose ahead.

N9FE
05-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Hate to tell ya, But alot of these resturants that used to serve good food cannot afford to do so anymore. So rather than raising pcices they cut corners with cheaper food. Food is THEE most expencive thing for a resturant to buy. You used to be able to make it up with booze and beer sales, But that has gone though the roof as well.

W3WN
05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
A lot of places hope that with everthing available on the smorgasbord, you won't notice or pay attention to some of the lesser quality products.

It's also possible that the beef may have been out under the sun lamps or whatever too long, and that they were so busy, nobody took the extra time to check on it.

Not that either is an excuse, mind you.

And it's everywhere. My in-laws took the family out for breakfast yesterday, although by the time we got seated and served I'd call it a brunch. The local Bob Evans was packed (big surprise), the eggs were a little under-cooked, the hash browns and home fries very undercooked. That said, I'll cut them a little slack for being very crowded, and for managing to accomodate the family on no notice -- the folks originally made reservations elsewhere and arbitrarily changed them a half-hour before we all were supposed to meet.

But I've learned... these are not the places you ought to go on major holidays, because EVERYONE goes to them on major holidays, and most of the staff that are working would rather be elsewhere, for a variety of reasons.

KG4CGC
05-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Ever watch Kitchen Nightmares with Chef Ramsey? Many places go down hill after they become complacent with running a restaurant.

NA4BH
05-09-2011, 01:16 PM
The thing they have going for them, one word, BUFFET. Production line crap and it's all you can eat. What a bargain.

W1GUH
05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
i have come across this in many places. Some fancy restaurant with nice decor, great ambiance and a nice sized crowd yet the food leaves me wishing I went to Mickey D's instead. Don;t be surprised if they don;t last. Once the novelty wears off the crowds may thin out if the establsiment can;t operate on the merit of quality.

Description reminds me of the late Mama Leone's.

kc7jty
05-10-2011, 12:49 AM
It's also possible that the beef may have been out under the sun lamps or whatever too long, and that they were so busy, nobody took the extra time to check on it.
About 20 years ago I seem to remember being able to get what I would call medium rare prime rib at a buffet. 2 things: I think they are shy about preparing beef "rare" for health, and subsequently lawsuit reasons, and I like my beef really RARE.

kc7jty
05-10-2011, 12:53 AM
There are some Chinese buffets around here that are pretty darn good for $16/head. That's all I could think of while at this other place.

KG4CGC
05-11-2011, 01:04 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/23586e21.jpg

n2ize
05-29-2011, 06:44 AM
There are some Chinese buffets around here that are pretty darn good for $16/head. That's all I could think of while at this other place.

I've been to Chinese restaurants in Chinatown (NYC) and some were slamming good. There was a particular one that the Chinese street gangs used to frequent. The food was excellent and it was authentic Chinese. Yes, they did have quite a few popular "Americanized" Chinese dishes on the menu which were also excellent. But whenever I was there I would always order authentic. Fortunately no "gang wars" ever broke out while I was there. :)

On the other hand I have been to a few restaurants in Chinatown that were terrible.

suddenseer
05-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Ohio has one of those 'quaint' places. it is the oldest Hotel/inn in Ohio. http://www.goldenlamb.com/
The furnishings are one of a kind, and irreplaceable. The service was mediocre at best. The soup, and appetizers were wonderful. I wish the same could be said of the roasted leg of lamb. Maybe my adopted Thea Nitsa (aunt Helen) spoiled me with her greek cooking. I now realize some of the best food I ever enjoyed was during childhood.

KG4CGC
05-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Don't think I've roasted a leg of lamb since 1989! I can still smell it!
Just don't see lamb meat for sale anymore at the average grocery store.
I know we've had this conversation before.

NQ6U
05-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Don't think I've roasted a leg of lamb since 1989! I can still smell it!
Just don't see lamb meat for sale anymore at the average grocery store.

Or, when we do, it's very, very expensive. Too bad, I really like a nice roast of lamb.

suddenseer
05-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Properly prepared roasted lamb/goat can make a vegan reconsider.

W1GUH
05-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Once worked at a site that was across from an abattoir. Some days while waiting for a light to change we got to see all the little lambs heading in for an exciting field trip.

It's hard to eat lamb now (even tho's it's delicious) with that image in my head.

kc7jty
05-31-2011, 01:57 PM
It's hard to eat lamb now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTs_TZFjbJ8&feature=related

W1GUH
05-31-2011, 02:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTs_TZFjbJ8&feature=related

Probably one I'll pass on. But thanks, it shows your thinking!

n6hcm
06-02-2011, 12:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjrW4_Fojc&NR=1