PDA

View Full Version : Are strawberries really and truly good for you?

W1GUH
05-08-2011, 07:26 PM
How can that be? I love 'em!

NQ6U
05-08-2011, 08:26 PM
They're very good for you. Lots of Vitamin C and fiber. They're also a mild anti-inflammatory.

W1GUH
05-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Well...that makes it even more mandatory to counteract he good part with ice cream....whipped cream...sugar...

:evil:

KG4CGC
05-08-2011, 08:33 PM
i like tap water

W3MIV
05-09-2011, 05:41 AM
i like tap water

Full of bugs and things that are bad for you without the addition of an antiseptic liquid, preferably doubly distilled.

rot
05-09-2011, 06:23 AM
The Beatles used them for inspiration.(Artistic plus)
Once planted they return year after year.(Agricultural plus)
Many places you can pick your own.(Local plus)
I like them fat and juicy.(Personal Plus)
Somewhere there has to be a downside, I'm sure...but in my world...It's a thumbs up.
rot

WØTKX
05-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Some wild strawberries in the mountains here, wild raspberries are easiest to find.

The wild strawberries are plentiful in MN... along with blueberries, raspberries and yummy goose berries.

WX7P
05-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Ground zero for strawberries here in Central CA.

They are in season right now. We get them from a small vendor in Rio Linda. The strawberries are absolutely wonderful!

PA5COR
05-09-2011, 09:50 AM
We're drowning in them, after 9 weeks dry sunny warm weather, seems they liked that, cheap as chips in the shops here now, or pluck your own from the growing gardens most here have ;)
Whipped cream, and strawberries, yummy....

N9FE
05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
No berries till the middle of june here.

NQ6U
05-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Full of bugs and things that are bad for you without the addition of an antiseptic liquid, preferably doubly distilled.

As W.C. Fields said, "never drink anything that fish f**k in."

NQ6U
05-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Ground zero for strawberries here in Central CA.

They are in season right now. We get them from a small vendor in Rio Linda. The strawberries are absolutely wonderful!

The grow a lot of strawberries in Carlsbad (CA) as well. Cheap and very good right now—I ate a quart of 'em yesterday!

W1GUH
05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
We're drowning in them, after 9 weeks dry sunny warm weather, seems they liked that, cheap as chips in the shops here now, or pluck your own from the growing gardens most here have ;)
Whipped cream, and strawberries, yummy....

Whipped cream, and strawberries :yum::yum::yum::yum::-D

The reason the whipped cream makes em so good is it conteracts the "healthy!" ;)

KG4CGC
05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Last week while I was weed-whackering the ditch, I noticed wild strawberries growing out of the ditch walls. Past 5 years we've been getting wild hops.

WØTKX
05-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Just gently rub with a clean sponge and rinse the commercial ones well, due to pesticides and other contaminants. No need for "organics".

Other veggies and fruits don't clean up as readily.

W3WN
05-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Last week while I was weed-whackering the ditch, I noticed wild strawberries growing out of the ditch walls. Past 5 years we've been getting wild hops.
Samuel Adams beers started with less... just sayin'...

W7XF
05-15-2011, 02:45 PM
OK you guys.... I'm stuck here at a shipper right now and you have to bring up strawberries..... <orgasm>

W1GUH
05-16-2011, 07:46 AM
http://www.cookingrecipesguide.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/strawberry-whipped-cream.jpg

PA5COR
05-16-2011, 08:06 AM
^you really like it to rub it in some more eh?:shock::mrgreen::clap:

W4GPL
05-16-2011, 08:11 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leo-galland-md/strawberries-for-weight-loss_b_859578.html

W5GA
05-16-2011, 03:51 PM
And the whipped cream better not be from an aerosol can, either.

W1GUH
05-17-2011, 07:47 AM
And the whipped cream better not be from an aerosol can, either.

Absolutely. The gases from a can of whipped cream have been known to produce unacceptable effects.

NQ6U
05-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Absolutely. The gases from a can of whipped cream have been known to produce unacceptable effects.

Kidding you not, I was once given a large (can't remember the cu ft amount but large welding oxygen sized) bottle of nitrous oxide. Fun stuff! Even a small whiff just before bedtime resulted in vivid and beautifully colorful dreams.

W1GUH
05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Tried something last night and it seems to work out. I chopped up a bunch of Strawberries, made a batch of whipped cream (the real stuff), and mixed them together. Then, I made individual portions and froze them. Had one for lunch today and it's great. Gonna have to fill the freezer with these.

Oh, and I like blueberries, too. But there's a catch. Grocery store blueberries really suck when you're used to picking wild blueberries. Guess I gotta wait til August.

n6hcm
05-18-2011, 02:44 AM
tomorrow's strawberry day (the farmer's market happens in the castro in the late afternoon/early evening ... the organic strawberries there are full of win).

what i don't get: why more people don't make the real whipped cream. with a hand blender it only takes a few minutes ... and the result is fabulous!

W1GUH
05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
tomorrow's strawberry day (the farmer's market happens in the castro in the late afternoon/early evening ... the organic strawberries there are full of win).

what i don't get: why more people don't make the real whipped cream. with a hand blender it only takes a few minutes ... and the result is fabulous!

Always wondered that myself. Besides, whipping your own saves the propellent in Reddi-Whip for other, more important uses! (See A Night at the Roxbury)

BTW...who does, and doesn't put vanilla in whipped cream? I do sometimes...depends on my mood.

W5GA
05-18-2011, 07:44 PM

Like most other forms of cooking these days, they don't know how. They also don't know that Heavy Whipping Cream in a carton is just unadulterated cream. If it wasn't for processed food, most would starve.

Years ago, my oldest had a friend over for dinner. When said friend found out that our milk didn't come from a plastic jug bought at the local grocery store (we had a dairy cow at the time, fresh whole milk is awesome!), he refused to touch it.

NQ6U
05-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Years ago, my oldest had a friend over for dinner. When said friend found out that our milk didn't come from a plastic jug bought at the local grocery store (we had a dairy cow at the time, fresh whole milk is awesome!), he refused to touch it.

"You mean it comes out of the bottom of a cow??"

W7XF
05-18-2011, 09:39 PM
MUST................HAVE...............STRAWBERRIE S :yes::hyper:;):-D:yum::yum:

W1GUH
05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
MUST................HAVE...............STRAWBERRIE S :yes::hyper:;):-D:yum::yum:

Definitely bears repeating!

KG4CGC
05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
That big tank of nitrous becomes a white elephant in a short time. Guy in high school had one, was the hit at parties, after a while no one would touch it and even though it was still half full, he couldn't give it away.
Your mileage may vary by dosage.

NQ6U
05-19-2011, 10:17 PM
That big tank of nitrous becomes a white elephant in a short time. Guy in high school had one, was the hit at parties, after a while no one would touch it and even though it was still half full, he couldn't give it away.
Your mileage may vary by dosage.

I had no problem finishing off mine. I'd have nitrous parties once or twice a week and it was gone in a month. Fun stuff and, if done correctly, it's quite safe.

KG4CGC
05-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Are strawberries good for you? Yes. If you eat them before dinner, they get the train in motion to keep the heavier foods moving along. Or so says that tiny blonde woman who is a reality show nutritionist in England.

KG4CGC
05-19-2011, 10:29 PM
I had no problem finishing off mine. I'd have nitrous parties once or twice a week and it was gone in a month. Fun stuff and, if done correctly, it's quite safe.
You must be part Sicilian.

NQ6U
05-19-2011, 10:33 PM
You must be part Sicilian.

Part Sicilian?? You want I should have my cousin Vinnie come have a little talk wid chu?

W1GUH
05-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Are strawberries good for you? Yes. If you eat them before dinner, they get the train in motion to keep the heavier foods moving along. Or so says that tiny blonde woman who is a reality show nutritionist in England.

Reality show nutritionist? She must really, really know her shit.

KG4CGC
05-20-2011, 01:08 AM
Reality show nutritionist? She must really, really know her shit.
And yours too, after she goes poking around in it.

W1GUH
05-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Hmmmm...somehow I don't think a "she" has the right equipment to be doin' that. Just sayin'

KG4CGC
05-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Hmmmm...somehow I don't think a "she" has the right equipment to be doin' that. Just sayin'
She literally takes a lab probe and pokes around in your shit after she's had you shit in a tupperware container.

W1GUH
05-20-2011, 04:57 PM
A few years ago there was a Doctor somewhere in NJ who was famous for two things. First, he would only make appointments in the wee hours of the morning, and Second, all he'd do is examine a stool sample (brought from home, of course) and give you a list of things to eat and do, and not eat and do.

Never shake hands with a proctologist.

KG4CGC
05-20-2011, 05:14 PM
At least check if his finger nails are clean.