PDA

View Full Version : Ad Hoc Units of Measurement

NQ6U
04-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Anyone who's used the Internet for long is familiar with the shit-ton and the assload, both imperial and metric. Us old-timers know about the CH and it's finer cousin, the RCH. Back when I was a young man turning wrenches for a living, my friends and I came up with an ad hoc unit of measurement for torque, the grunt-pound. As in "that new oil filter you installed was seeping a bit so I put a few more grunt-pounds on it and now it's okay."

Anyone else out there have an ad hoc measurement of their own?

NA4BH
04-30-2011, 09:35 PM
No, we pretty much stuck with the standard "ASE Certification" measures. We had the "CH", then we had the "C", and we added the "PCH" (with "P" denoting pregnant). Each with increasing force.

KG4CGC
04-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Carl, you hit Home Run with this. May I use it?
too late ... already did

KC9ECI
04-30-2011, 09:38 PM
We have a unit called a scungent here. As in 'take that part back to the saw and take it down just a scungent.'

rot
05-01-2011, 07:32 AM
We used to produce the active ingrediant in BeanO (alpha galactosidase) as a standardized unit/g. Much lulz in the assay group...had one guy who would cock one leg up and yell "Calibration in process". We sold out that business, but the antics remained for quite a while, esp the "Girls can't do this proceedure..No Way", type stuff.
The standard fart unit was complicated...involved olfaction,volume,and dispersion factors predicted only in knowing the "WTF did you just eat" via survey, but you know we are professionals.
:spin:
rot

KG4CGC
05-01-2011, 10:22 AM
We used to produce the active ingrediant in BeanO (alpha galactosidase) as a standardized unit/g. Much lulz in the assay group...had one guy who would cock one leg up and yell "Calibration in process". We sold out that business, but the antics remained for quite a while, esp the "Girls can't do this proceedure..No Way", type stuff.
The standard fart unit was complicated...involved olfaction,volume,and dispersion factors predicted only in knowing the "WTF did you just eat" via survey, but you know we are professionals.
:spin:
rot:rofl::rofl::rofl::bbh:

WØTKX
05-01-2011, 11:11 AM
:rofl:

Poot... a small pop of air from an air canister or compressed air line. Or of course, a tiny fart.

Fiddle flick... as in a small tapping to nudge something into place. Useful in SMD repairs.

KG4CGC
05-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Useful in SMD repairs.
Of the very very few times I've tried SMD surgery, it would have been useful to have a third hand. I think at some points, even a prehensile cock would have worked.

HUGH
05-01-2011, 02:35 PM
"Gnat's cock": A very small linear measurement unit.

W5GA
05-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Spot torque = tighten it till you see spots.

WØTKX
05-01-2011, 09:06 PM
A long time favorite of mine is the "calibrated metric hammer".

rot
05-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Have used the King Kong before, as in "King Kong the bitch". Mostly on 3 pt hitch implement apps on 1" or larger stuff. Normally these hold and require an Act of God or A Team of Elephants to undo.
rot

W1GUH
05-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Back in high school we rated breast sizes in "hermies." 1 Hermie = 1 mouthful.

KC2UGV
05-02-2011, 01:45 PM
There's a metric fskc ton, and the english fsck ton. Both are larger than a shitload.

WA4TM
05-02-2011, 04:26 PM
A related subject...

Any one ever use any gnats ass-grease? It is the slickest substance known to mankind, it will let you shove a fencepost up a gnats ass with out tearing it....

N7RJD
05-02-2011, 08:16 PM

We just called it "Farmer tight, 2 turns past stripping."

WA4TM
05-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Tighten it until it breaks, then back it off 1/4 turn.....

K7SGJ
05-02-2011, 09:47 PM
A related subject...

Any one ever use any gnats ass-grease? It is the slickest substance known to mankind, it will let you shove a fencepost up a gnats ass with out tearing it....

Don't recall having ever seen a fence post tear.

WA4TM
05-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Tearing the damn gnats ass, DAMMIT!!!!!!!:-D

PS See signature......

Don't recall having ever seen a fence post tear.