PDA

View Full Version : Heart problems

N7YA
04-30-2011, 04:58 PM
I just visited my heart doctor yesterday for my follow-up. After some blood work and an unpleasant stress test, he told me my heart is good overall, no holes, normal size, but i do have a blocked artery on the underside, likely due to bad eating habits growing up.

In recent years, i have been changing my diet slowly to exclude soda and other things bad for me, but its not enough. I was put on baby aspirin and told that i may need to have surgery. This is not the news i wanted to hear as i am quite healthy otherwise.

When i met my wife, she was a vegetarian and 114 lbs. Now she eats meat, dessert and fried foods and has shot up to 150...this is my fault. After the appointment, we had a lengthy discussion about what to do so i may play with my grandchildren and enjoy our new house. Basically, i dont want to be a invalid due to stroke, and moreso, i dont want to die. We have decided to make drastic changes.

We have researched living a vegetarian lifestyle and found nothing but good news, most of those foods can actually reverse and clear out clogged arteries if i stick with the diet and stay active to strengthen the heart. We have decided to go this route.

Have any of you had to make this kind of change? And if so, can you help me with any ideas or ingredients? What ups and downs have you had to deal with as this is a complete change for me. Thanks.

n2ize
04-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Sorry to hear about this. I can;t offer anything in the way of advice other than that I have heard that good diet and excersize can help prevent a wide variety of health problems, including heart related issues. In my case I was recently diagnosed with tendonitis in my right foot which is caused by gout. Gout attacks are extremely painful and are caused by uric acid crystals forming around the joints and tendons. It can be controlled to a degree by modification of diet and, the diet prescribed for gout is very similar to that prescribed for heart health. Namely, a reduction in the intake of red meats and meats, fish, and fatty foods in general, and reduction of alcohol intake, and the consumption of more vegetables (except cauliflower and spinach). I try and eat a large salad before dinner and I find that it fills me up and I eat less of other foods. I also limit meats to maybe one or two times a week and when i do have meats I try and eat smaller portions If I drink I cut back to one or two small drinks instead of 3 or 4 large ones and try and limit my use of alcohol to medicinal purposes. So far it seems to be helping and, I seem to be losing weight as well... which is something I need to do anyway.

Inany event I wish you luck and I am sure a sensible diet will help. the thing is to stick with it.

N7YA
04-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks John. I also have gout in my right toe, but its not as painful and i still have mobility. I try to stretch regardless of pain and i am very limber. But gout must be secondary to the heart issue right now. But what i learned about it was that with a veggie diet, the gout will start to clear out too, this is good news.

I have 3 weeks until i get my PET scan, where ill get am IV and pumped full of tracers...ill be lit up like a reactor for a couple of hours. Then i get my ass kicked for 2 hours with another stress test. By then, i hope to make a positive change in the blood flow. Sticking with the diet is more than "i just need to shed a few pounds" at this point, its a matter of life and death, so i dont have an option. My wife was very happy to hear that i wanted to make this change, and so am i.

We just had a full veggie lunch and it was great, this is probably going to be easier than i think it is. But ill take any help i can get.

KG4CGC
04-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Oatmeal for breakfest, maybe even lunch. Tuna.
Read labels. Everything is loaded with fat. Even your fake, artificial coffee creamer.

N1LAF
04-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Hang in there, Adam, keep in mind that all of the Islanders here is part of your support group. I started a hard core exercise routine with weight/strength training, and dropped my blood pressure and resting heart rate dramatically. Exercise regularly, and long walks every day.

N7YA
05-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Thank you. I know that a few of us have been there before, i am determined to NOT undergo surgery. I am going to do a PET scan in 17 days and im trying to eat food that are known scrubbers. Ill do what i have to do, but if i can decrease the perceived blockage before then, all the better.

No matter what happens, i have commited to this change from here on. Heart health is no joke and i intend to get on top of this. I appreciate the support and help, despite political differences and whatnot, this is more than ham spirit, its human spirit and i thank you guys for it.

W3MIV
05-01-2011, 06:05 AM
Charles advice about oats is good, and also fish -- but avoid the really fatty fishes. Classic vegans avoid anything with a face, and also avoid all dairy products. I think that is a bit too extreme, in my view. I try to use non-fat milk and avoid whole milk. Also egg substitutes such as Egg Beaters, Eggzactly and others will let you enjoy an occasional egg without the load of cholesterol in the yolk. Pairing beans and corn, beans and rice, or beans and most nuts will give you the basic protein benefits of meat, but again without the cholesterol.

But bear in mind that cholesterol is the glue that holds the body together. You don't want to risk falling apart in a blog of gook on the kitchen floor for fear of the stuff, either. ;)

N1LAF
05-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Oatmeal for breakfest, maybe even lunch. Tuna.
Read labels. Everything is loaded with fat. Even your fake, artificial coffee creamer.

What Charles said, oatmeal is a good snack too. Add apple slices or strawberries (in season now) after cooked. Cinnamon works too.
Avoid processed foods - eat fresh, unprocessed foods.

N7YA
05-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Great advice! I didnt think of that. As for fish, we will be doing broiled or seared salmon, naturally caught only. And i havent had milk in over a year since i learned how milk is processed from the big money farms...gross stuff. I do almond milk instead. One of my favorite foods is whole grain cereal (no sugary stuff), with almond milk and fresh fruit. Ive been eating that for a couple of years now and i noticed something, the last doctors visit before i started doing that, my cholesterol and blood pressure was high. Since then, my cholesterol has come down quite a bit, and my blood pressure has been perfect.

Giving up soda and salt, and adding healthier foods has done good things so far. Also, i dont stress about much, im very animated in person and say what i feel (within the limits of decency and respect, of course). Basically, im a happy person who realizes my mortality as a reality and i see no reason to fear it. But i am only 45 years old, i see no need to rush it either. I dont smoke or drink, my marriage is great and i see life as an adventure full of new things to learn, but you cant avoid everything...shit happens. We all need some help sometimes and my wife is priceless. And if you tune across 20 ssb on any given day, you will hear all sorts of armchair doctors so asking hams seems like a great idea.

As for going Vegan? I dont think i need to take it to that extreme, it seems like more of a personal opinion method as opposed to a viable healthy choice. It sure seems like they cut out a lot of protiens the body needs. Ill stick with pseudo-vegetarian for now. :)

N7YA
05-01-2011, 07:16 AM
What Charles said, oatmeal is a good snack too. Add apple slices or strawberries (in season now) after cooked. Cinnamon works too.
Avoid processed foods - eat fresh, unprocessed foods.

Im a big fan of cinnamon, but its important to note that the real health benefits of cinnamon do not come from the processed stuff you get at the store, you need to buy the Mexican stick cinnamon and grate a little bit into your coffee or cereal each day. I just learned this the other day.

suddenseer
06-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Great advice! I didnt think of that. As for fish, we will be doing broiled or seared salmon, naturally caught only. And i havent had milk in over a year since i learned how milk is processed from the big money farms...gross stuff. I do almond milk instead. One of my favorite foods is whole grain cereal (no sugary stuff), with almond milk and fresh fruit. Ive been eating that for a couple of years now and i noticed something, the last doctors visit before i started doing that, my cholesterol and blood pressure was high. Since then, my cholesterol has come down quite a bit, and my blood pressure has been perfect.

Giving up soda and salt, and adding healthier foods has done good things so far. Also, i dont stress about much, im very animated in person and say what i feel (within the limits of decency and respect, of course). Basically, im a happy person who realizes my mortality as a reality and i see no reason to fear it. But i am only 45 years old, i see no need to rush it either. I dont smoke or drink, my marriage is great and i see life as an adventure full of new things to learn, but you cant avoid everything...shit happens. We all need some help sometimes and my wife is priceless. And if you tune across 20 ssb on any given day, you will hear all sorts of armchair doctors so asking hams seems like a great idea.

As for going Vegan? I dont think i need to take it to that extreme, it seems like more of a personal opinion method as opposed to a viable healthy choice. It sure seems like they cut out a lot of protiens the body needs. Ill stick with pseudo-vegetarian for now. :)How is it working for you Adam? My ex partner moved out. I have returned to my vegan ways, which is easier to do single. I got out my juicer. I am tired of being sick, and taking pills.

kc7jty
06-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Will power, if you think you deserve to eat (too much) you will. For breakfast I have either extra thick oatmeal (small amount) with 10 oz 1% milk, or 1 large egg (fried in ev olive oil) on 1 slice of whole wheat cut in half & 3 oz grapefruit juice.
I eat plenty of junk food though, beer, tortilla chips, mayo, some butter. Out of shape but 168 lbs (in the buff) at 5'10''.

Eat tasty food, it will satisfy you better. Spices are your friend.

All the best in your endeavors. May that ticker go another 200k miles for you.

N7YA
06-13-2011, 03:20 AM
Tim, unless you have a partner who is helping you, it is difficult to do in a relationship. I believe it to be easier by yourself. Good to see you get back to those healthy ways. I believe the medical industry is no longer on our side, they seem to be money motivated these days, so anything you can do to ween ourselves off of meds and crippled dependence on doctors visits and pharmie wonder drugs, is a great bet. I am doing great with the new diet, no meat except fish, and finding new combinations every day. Ive also lost about 8 lbs. Im sure my next check up will be considerable better. We also have a juicer and will be using it a lot more as we go along. Sorry to hear about your relationship, though. If anything good can come of it, its better health.

Bill, Thank you. Fortunately, heart troubles are not apparent in my family line...insanity is, but thats preferable. I can live with that, lol. Sounds like you are on a good path, and not overweight at all. Im happy to finally reach 215 for the first time in a long time. I wasnt too far off from that, and i am proportionate to my height/weight, but would like to trim down. The first change i wanted to make was how i thought. I didnt need to find comfort in food, it was only an illusion. As a man who prides himself on personal control, why would i allow something so simple to do that, so i took it back and started looking at food as sustinence only...with the occasional healthy treat. It was much easier than i was giving it credit for.
In my line of work, i have to maintain a somewhat youthful look, even at 45. Cant fight aging, im just trying to make it easier on myself.

kc7jty
06-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I snack on the lowest sugar added vanilla yogurt I can find, http://d3hqdt8j93rgvn.cloudfront.net/Image/MEDIUM_8a78c6e02140d931012146985ad30d3c.jpg
and also raisin bran w 1% milk.

NA4BH
06-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Check it out.

http://www.cardiorenew.com/

NQ6U
06-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I snack on the lowest sugar added vanilla yogurt I can find,
and also raisin bran w 1% milk.

Hey, didn't you hear? Vanilla yogurt causes testicular cancer.

​(Just kidding)

W3MIV
06-13-2011, 04:57 PM
I am tired of being sick, and taking pills.

:clap:

That is the first, and the most important, step along a road to recovery. Best of luck to you. With an attitude, you can do it.

N7YA
06-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Agreed! A positive outlook is some powerful medicine.

I try to laugh several times a day, its easy since i find all kinds of shit funny. :lol:

NA4BH
06-13-2011, 08:43 PM
I try to laugh several times a day, its easy since i find all kinds of shit funny. :lol:

A monkey humping a football is always funny.

N7YA
06-13-2011, 09:39 PM
A monkey humping a football is always funny.

It sure is! :lol:

KG4CGC
06-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Greek yogurt, Kalamata olives, chopped garlic and olive oil.
Yep. Just ate about a half pint right after I took some fish oil, E, C and some other shit I can't think what the Γµ€♫ it was.

W3MIV
06-14-2011, 05:41 AM
Greek yogurt, Kalamata olives, chopped garlic and olive oil.
Yep. Just ate about a half pint right after I took some fish oil, E, C and some other shit I can't think what the Γµ€♫ it was.

Careful of too much E; it stacks in the body fat and cannot be flushed out like water-soluble vitamins.

And don't turn your back on that yoghurt!

;)

w2amr
06-14-2011, 05:42 AM
I just visited my heart doctor yesterday for my follow-up. After some blood work and an unpleasant stress test, he told me my heart is good overall, no holes, normal size, but i do have a blocked artery on the underside, likely due to bad eating habits growing up.

In recent years, i have been changing my diet slowly to exclude soda and other things bad for me, but its not enough. I was put on baby aspirin and told that i may need to have surgery. This is not the news i wanted to hear as i am quite healthy otherwise.

When i met my wife, she was a vegetarian and 114 lbs. Now she eats meat, dessert and fried foods and has shot up to 150...this is my fault. After the appointment, we had a lengthy discussion about what to do so i may play with my grandchildren and enjoy our new house. Basically, i dont want to be a invalid due to stroke, and moreso, i dont want to die. We have decided to make drastic changes.

We have researched living a vegetarian lifestyle and found nothing but good news, most of those foods can actually reverse and clear out clogged arteries if i stick with the diet and stay active to strengthen the heart. We have decided to go this route.

Have any of you had to make this kind of change?
About 7 years ago I was 225 lbs. BP high, cholesterol high, blood sugar high. I stopped eating anything with sugar or salt, and cut out fried food. Then I started walking a mile on the tredmill every day, and quit smoking. I'm about 195 now and feel a lot better. I may even live a few extra years now.:mrgreen:

W3MIV
06-14-2011, 05:57 AM
About 7 years ago I was 225 lbs. BP high, cholesterol high, blood sugar high. I stopped eating anything with sugar or salt, and cut out fried food. Then I started walking a mile on the tredmill every day, and quit smoking. I'm about 195 now and feel a lot better. I may even live a few extra years now.:mrgreen:

All good stuff, Geo, but the stopping smoking was probably the smartest and best thing you did. Nice to awaken mornings not having your mouth taste like a puddle under a culvert and the decision whether to light up before or after you take a piss, ain't it?

w2amr
06-14-2011, 11:50 AM
All good stuff, Geo, but the stopping smoking was probably the smartest and best thing you did. Nice to awaken mornings not having your mouth taste like a puddle under a culvert and the decision whether to light up before or after you take a piss, ain't it?Also Nice to wake up in the morning without sounding like I'm coughing up a lung .

KG4CGC
06-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Oatmeal, raw, straight out of the coil form it is sold in.

W3MIV
06-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Oatmeal, raw, straight out of the coil form it is sold in.

It's best moistened a bit with a fine single malt.

KG4CGC
06-14-2011, 12:14 PM
It's best moistened a bit with a fine single malt.
Maybe for bedtime sleepy tea.
Cutting back on the coffee really helps reduce the need or want for alcohol.

W3MIV
06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Nah. It's an Irish thing. Oatmeal is too bland, and milk is for babies. A fine single malt or Jameson adds a bit of flavor to the mush. Sugar is not good for you, and molasses are wasted if not made into rum. Hmmmmm. That might work, too, come to think of it.

KG4CGC
06-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Who the hell uses milk? I said eat it RAW!
You're a pussy.

KG4CGC
06-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Yeah! Bet you didn't see that coming.

N7YA
06-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Yeah!!! RAW oatmeal is for REAL MEN!!

Never thought i would hear that, :lol:

KG4CGC
06-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Full Moon's a coming! Ah kin jes feelit!

N7YA
06-14-2011, 05:07 PM
You know? I AM starting to see a shift in this country...albeit, a small one. More and more people are trying to do the right thing based on not trusting what corporations are feeding them more than anything else.

Hey, its a start.

NQ6U
06-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah!!! RAW oatmeal is for REAL MEN!!

A bowl of raw oatmeal with single-malt scotch poured over it!

KG4CGC
06-14-2011, 05:40 PM
A bowl of raw oatmeal with single-malt scotch poured over it!
dejavu?

NQ6U
06-14-2011, 05:43 PM
dejavu?

Yep. Missed it the first time around.

KG4CGC
06-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Yep. Missed it the first time around.
lulzy is
as lulzy does

Did'ja hear me on 10?

NQ6U
06-14-2011, 06:00 PM
lulzy is
as lulzy does

Did'ja hear me on 10?

All I heard was QRN and my own voice feeding back through the speaker on my rig. Apparently, I have a problem with RF in the shack on 10m.

KG4CGC
06-14-2011, 06:01 PM
The pirate HE5BS is still fading in and out.

N7YA
06-15-2011, 02:52 AM
I need to hook up my antenna and get back up on the air...its been weeks!

suddenseer
06-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Well, over the last month I have been switching from eating shit (I knew better) to vegan, to healthy vegan. One can eat peanut butter sandwiches, and potato chips and be an unhealthy vegan. I found a lifestyle that makes sense for me. 60% of the calories come from green leafy veggies, onions, seeds, sprouts, mushrooms. 20% from fruits, and nuts. 20% a mixture of processed vegan foods, maybe even some dairy. I have read that processed vegan foods have most of the nutrients removed by cooking. Gently processed, like tofu, soymilk, tempeh, are ok. Veggie burgers are at the top of the pyramid. Just in one week, the abdominal pain I have been suffering is halved. I had edema in the ankles, that totally disappeared in 5 days, no shit. I have cut the coffee to just a mug in the morning (my BIGGEST addiction). Now I drink a gallon of water a day.

KC2KFC
06-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I would recommend you get the book "You The Owner's Manual" by Dr. Michael Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz. Their basic philosophy is that by eating right and exercising you can live a younger life which in turn should lead to a longer life with a better quality of life. It's become my "bible" to good health.

W3MIV
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
I would recommend you get the book "You The Owner's Manual" by Dr. Michael Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz. Their basic philosophy is that by eating right and exercising you can live a younger life which in turn should lead to a longer life with a better quality of life. It's become my "bible" to good health.

But... but... but, what about not paying attention to the man behind the curtain?

N7YA
06-16-2011, 04:20 AM
He may have fries!!

suddenseer
06-16-2011, 05:05 AM
Toto, quick bite the emeffer's ankles!

KC2KFC
06-17-2011, 11:43 AM
But... but... but, what about not paying attention to the man behind the curtain?

:lol: This is one of those times you should pay attention the great and powerful Oz. :lol:

suddenseer
06-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Update: the abdominal pain is gone. The edema is still gone. My joints don't hurt anymore. The pain from shingles is almost gone. I don't need vodka, and ambien to fall asleep. Life is GOOD!!!!:-D So far, the cure can be had at the produce section of the grocery store.

PA5COR
06-20-2011, 04:55 AM
^Excellent news then!

W3MIV
06-21-2011, 07:20 PM
What he said ^^^

kc7jty
06-27-2011, 01:29 AM
http://wendihiebert.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/quebec-burger.jpg

O (http://wendihiebert.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/quebec-burger.jpg)nly in America:

http://www.food.com/recipe/cheeseburger-fries-casserole-48201

w2amr
06-27-2011, 03:43 AM
Update: the abdominal pain is gone. The edema is still gone. My joints don't hurt anymore. The pain from shingles is almost gone. I don't need vodka, and ambien to fall asleep. Life is GOOD!!!!:-D So far, the cure can be had at the produce section of the grocery store.Outstanding.:agree:

W3WN
06-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Just Plain Yogurt!