PDA

View Full Version : TVA Loses All Power Transmission Lines in Alabama and Mississippi, Nuke Plant Offline

N2NH
04-30-2011, 06:43 AM
Seems that TVA Power Lines are totally out in Alabama and Mississippi and a Nuclear Power Plant was affected by the storms in the South:

Wednesday’s storms took out all of TVA’s electric power transmission lines in Mississippi and North Alabama, and forced Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant unto diesel backup power and into emergency and automatic cold shutdown.

Bill McCollum, the chief operating officer of Tennessee Valley Authority, said it may be weeks before power can be restored to all of the 300,000 customers whose power is supplied by the federal utility.

“With the level of damage we have, it will be — we hope it will be days until we get most of the customers back on, but it will be weeks before we’ve fully repaired all of the damage,” he said.

McCollum said the reactors, now being cooled by backup diesel power, are safe.

He said the spent fuel pools also are being cooled by backup diesel power and are safe.The transmission lines are the monster power lines that carry electricity from TVA power plants to power distributors such as EPB and Huntsville Utilities.

Now those utilities, along with a number of large industries that are wired directly to TVA transmission lines, will not have power until the lines are repaired, McCollum said

This might take some time to get back to normal. Hopefully the lack of power in the area will not last too long and will not affect rescue efforts.

TVA loses all power transmission lines in Alabama and Mississippi, Browns Ferry Nuclear plant forced into emergency shutdown (http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/apr/28/tva-losses-all-power-transmission-lines-alabama-an/)

PA5COR
04-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Last news here on our Dutch news outlets, 328 people killed, and mayhem in the stricken area's.

Let's hope this will be the last for a long time.

KJ3N
04-30-2011, 11:52 AM
"God" hates us for our wicked ways. Just ask Pat Robertson. :roll:

W3MIV
04-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Gee, I wonder what might have happened had a major tornado severely damaged or destroyed the diesel-powered backup cooling systems at the nuc plant?

Could have been "Fukaferry" here in the US of A?

X-Rated
04-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Gee, I wonder what might have happened had a major tornado severely damaged or destroyed the diesel-powered backup cooling systems at the nuc plant?

Having nuclear materials spread across hundreds of square miles is safer than walking out your front door. Nuclear power plants are designed to have safe radiation occur when it is spread around the countryside. It is no longer dangerous when it leaves the plant. The hippies will have you believe differently.

W2NAP
04-30-2011, 01:28 PM

if a major tornado hit a nuke plant. i dont think we would have to worry about "what if the diesel gens dont work" im sure it would be a auto-oh shit

N8YX
04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
if a major tornado hit a nuke plant....
Fermi 2 - was hit by an EF3. Last year, I think. One of the ARFCommers works at the plant and commented accordingly.

X-Rated
04-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Fermi 2 - was hit by an EF3. Last year, I think. One of the ARFCommers works at the plant and commented accordingly.

LOL. Scarey EF3. Good thing tornadoes are never stronger than an EF3.

ka8ncr
04-30-2011, 06:34 PM

Bet your ass we could. The reactor containment vessels here are not the problem, it's the spent fuel pools. I don't know what Fermi does with their stand-by gens though, I'm sure they're protected to some degree.

ka8ncr
04-30-2011, 06:39 PM

It was an F0 when it hit Fermi. That tornado took out Dundee (my hometown) and it started as an F1, entered and left town as an F0 and skipped across the county. Came back down about a mile from my house, went back up, came back down on the north side of Monroe, went back up and came back down just west of Fermi. Danced its big ol' butt across the lake and beat up on Ontario for a while and then went away.

It was 800 yards wide. Dundee still doesn't look the same

W3MIV
04-30-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't know what Fermi does with their stand-by gens though, I'm sure they're protected to some degree.

You assume this, but do you know that they are protected? Or are you merely following the preferred model that our dear, devoted government promotes and making the assumption that someone competent actually put effective protection in place. I am sure the people of Fukushima made that same assumption.

I don't trust the bastards to do anything correctly. Experience over the past fifty or more years would seem to support my lack of trust over any contrary opinion.

ka8ncr
04-30-2011, 07:34 PM
You assume this, but do you know that they are protected? Or are you merely following the preferred model that our dear, devoted government promotes and making the assumption that someone competent actually put effective protection in place. I am sure the people of Fukushima made that same assumption.

I don't trust the bastards to do anything correctly. Experience over the past fifty or more years would seem to support my lack of trust over any contrary opinion.

I agree with your skepticism.

NA4BH
04-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Have you submitted your better plan for review?

NA4BH
04-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Last news here on our Dutch news outlets, 328 people killed, and mayhem in the stricken area's.

Let's hope this will be the last for a long time.

It is real bad. Some areas are wiped clean. The obits in the paper are starting to look like the typist had a stuck key (Smith, Smith, Smith, ......). As of right now, things are progressing very well. Clean up crews have been working continuous since the storm and still have a lot to do. Driving through one of the areas today, my wife blurted out a few 4 letter words (this is the fourth time since we have been married she has used such words. And that is in 36 years. Yes I have kept count). Right now everything is going well, but when the shock and attention are gone, it may be another story. I can (ok, used to be able to) throw a rock and hit the outer areas where the trees started to be knocked down. The family went and signed up today for volunteer work, and if the donations already in are any indication, we will be alright. The community is strong around my hometown.

N8YX
05-01-2011, 05:54 AM
...my wife blurted out a few 4 letter words (this is the fourth time since we have been married she has used such words. And that is in 36 years. Yes I have kept count). ...
If she's not blurting one or two out on a nightly, repetitive basis you're doing it wrong.

:snicker:

You folks are in our thoughts and prayers. If you know of someone who needs help, pass the word and I'll see what I can do.

n2ize
05-01-2011, 11:49 AM

That I very much doubt.

KJ3N
05-01-2011, 12:53 PM
If she's not blurting one or two out on a nightly, repetitive basis you're doing it wrong.

:snicker:

Does her calling on The Lord repeatedly count? :rofl:

N2NH
05-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Tennessee was affected as well:

The Tennessee Valley Authority issued an alert on Thursday and Friday with an update of the level of damaged caused by severe storms and tornadoes throughout Tennessee.

This update included shocking images of the damage caused to major transmission lines by the twisters.

According to the TVA there were a total of 90 transmission lines that were knocked out throughout the state, and as of Friday afternoon only 21 were returned back to full operation.

The outage affected well over 500,000 homes and businesses around Tennessee.

According to the TVA, the following damage occurred, as observed from the sky during TVA fly-overs to assess transmission line damage.

–> 120 pole or steel transmission structures were damaged
–> 70 high-power transmission lines were all out of service
–> 500kV and 161kV lines serving North Alabama and Mississippi were part of those downed lines

TVA Photos Reveal Significant Level of Damage from Tornadoes (http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2011/05/tva-photos-damage-tornadoes/)

http://www.topsecretwriters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/tornados4.png

n2ize
05-01-2011, 01:15 PM
In general tornado's cause damage. And almost no place is immune from having them. That is common knowledge. Even the NYC and surrounding area, which generally sees milder weather than the rest of the country sees tornado watches almost every year and occasional warnings. It's just the way that it is.

ki4itv
05-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Looks like TVA should hire a chaplain and start living right.

NQ6U
05-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Looks like TVA should hire a chaplain and start living right.

The tornader hit 'em 'cause they hire teh gays, you know...