PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Drill

n2ize
04-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Anyone own/use a Milwaukee Cordless Drill ? I am looking for a cordless drill. I own a conventional Milwaukee plug in (120 VAC) type drill. It's pretty old but it runs great, well made, and I really like it. I'm thinking of getting a cordless and I notice that Milwaukee sells quite a few. They range between $120-$220 on average. Has anyone out here used the Milwaukee cordless drills and, if so, how are they ?.

NQ6U
04-30-2011, 12:58 AM
I have. They're nice, a little stouter than a Makita, the quality of which has declined somewhat over the last ten years or so. If you want the best, though, I'd go with a Bosch.

ki4itv
04-30-2011, 01:12 AM
I like tools and use them hard. Milwaukee generally makes fine/robust stuff.
Times have changed though, so make sure you're not getting consumer grade shitola. Not sure if Milwaukee has succumbed to brand creep yet, but it's bound to be better than most, even if they have. Take some time to look around. There are two types of tools: Those that work everyday, and those that hang a picture once in a blue moon. Buy what you can afford, but expect what you paid for.

W3MIV
04-30-2011, 05:51 AM
I'll agree with Carlo. Bosch. Pricey but generally very good.

If you want cheap value, look at the 18v Ryobi at the home depot. Lithium power and excellent performance for very low price. I use them for the trash work that puts costlier gear at risk. I have two and have never experienced a problem, except the older style NiCd batteries fail a bit fast. The new lithium polymer types are lighter and perform better, though they are more expensive.

N9FE
04-30-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm told milwaukee is now dewalt. And john menard won't have them in his stores. So check around i guess. I could give a shit what menard thinks, But thats the latest poop

W3MIV
04-30-2011, 12:32 PM
I used to be a big DeWalt fan. They ain't what they used to be, but they want to keep their pricing at the level of their former quality.

KC9ECI
04-30-2011, 12:39 PM
I use them every day at work. Compared to the DeWalts and Bosch's, I'd get another Milwaukee any day. I have a Makita corded hammer drill here at home and I like it well enough, but the cordless ones we have in the shop aren't worth a crap.

NA4BH
04-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Dewalt is CRAP.

KC9ECI
04-30-2011, 07:27 PM
I used a DeWalt for a few years. It was crap, but as wrecked as that thing was, it just kept on going. It was heavy though compared to the other drivers that were doing the same work.

n2ize
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
So, from what I am hearing it sounds like Milwaukee is not a bad way to go, although I should look at Bosch and Makita as well. And the general consensus seems to be...avoid DeWalt.

NA4BH
04-30-2011, 07:34 PM
I personally like Ridgid. They have a lifetime guarantee on their stuff. I have never had a problem with their equipment. Bosch and Makita would be something I would definitely use. DEWALT = CRAP.

n2ize
04-30-2011, 08:41 PM
I personally like Ridgid. They have a lifetime guarantee on their stuff. I have never had a problem with their equipment. Bosch and Makita would be something I would definitely use. DEWALT = CRAP.

Okay, I'll add Ridgid to the list of possibilities. So far I have Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch and Ridgid. DeWalt is OUT!

NQ6U
04-30-2011, 09:13 PM
IMHO, Makita is mezzo mezzo. Probably adequate for home use but not for someone who's going to be hard on it. I have one and it's okay, but I don't think I'd buy another.

KC9ECI
04-30-2011, 09:39 PM
I'd just buy the Milwaukee and plan on it outliving me at this point.

KG4CGC
04-30-2011, 10:45 PM
I can not say that this is a fact ...but, are they all not made in the same factory now with only slight differences in construction and badged for whatever brand is on the run sheet?
That's how kayaks at Confluence are made.

W3WN
04-30-2011, 11:43 PM
I used to be a big DeWalt fan. They ain't what they used to be, but they want to keep their pricing at the level of their former quality.DeWalt & Milwaukee are both Black & Decker brands.

I don't know about Milwaukee (which they only relatively recently bought), but B&D retooled the other two brands -- B&D is their consumer grade, DeWalt is their commercial grade. Same basic designs, but DeWalt were made with better and higher quality materials domestically; B&D are made overseas.

... and that was as of about 5 years ago, I wouldn't be at all surprised if DeWalt is made overseas as well these days...

W3WN
04-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Ryobi & Ridgid are both Home Depot brands. Ryobi for the consumer market, Ridgid for the commercial market.

Ryobi is designed for the occasional evening and weekend use. Ridgid is designed for everyday (12x7) use. But otherwise, they are made in the same factories and use many of the same basic designs.

N9FE
05-01-2011, 05:40 AM
DeWalt & Milwaukee are both Black & Decker brands.

I don't know about Milwaukee (which they only relatively recently bought), but B&D retooled the other two brands -- B&D is their consumer grade, DeWalt is their commercial grade. Same basic designs, but DeWalt were made with better and higher quality materials domestically; B&D are made overseas.

... and that was as of about 5 years ago, I wouldn't be at all surprised if DeWalt is made overseas as well these days...

This is what i have been told also. Got to turn everything into cheap crap ya know. My uncle was a cabinet maker, Hell some of those tool are 50 to 100 years old and still working.

n2ize
05-01-2011, 02:30 PM
This is what i have been told also. Got to turn everything into cheap crap ya know. My uncle was a cabinet maker, Hell some of those tool are 50 to 100 years old and still working.

It's like anything else. Make junk. Why build somethhing to last when you can build it to break down and everyone will just buy a new one.

make it in China and make it cheap and pay slave wages.

W3MIV
05-01-2011, 03:29 PM
For the record, I have quite a collection of Ryobi portable power tools that get hard "Harry Homeowner" use. I have experienced no failures. Their battery-powered "Sawz-all" reciprocating saw has gotten extreme use and has held up as well as the Makita corded model I use. I have two 18v 1/2" drills, 5.5" circ saw, recip saw, chainsaw, jig saw, power caulking gun, roto-zip tool and a couple of the lights. The Ryobi version of the roto-zip is light and powerful. The caulking gun is an amazing savings in hand power when running a lot of caulk beads, but can be a bit difficult to control -- it will squirt out a tube of caulk or construction glue so damn fast it will be over before you realize you squeezed the trigger!

My only complaint over the years I have been using them is that the 18v nicd battery packs have not met my expectations, losing their ability to hold a charge far too quickly over time. Even though I have been fastidious about running them down before recharging them, they do not seem to hold up and head south in a few months of use. The new lithium polymer batteries, while very expensive (24WH cost $60 and the 48WH cost $90 each) are proving very robust and give excellent performance.

For the uses which most of us put a power tool to work to do, the cost differential between "homeowner" and "commercial-grade" can be significant. My recommendation would be to put that cost difference into an extra battery or two.

W3WN
05-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Well Albi, AFAIK, you take care of your tools, and you don't abuse them. And yes, I mean the Ryobi ones as well. :evil:

That said, it doesn't change the the fact that Black & Decker & Ryobi are designed for casual homeowner use, and Dewalt & Ridgid being designed for professional & heavy duty use. I have that direct from the factory reps, and anyone who knows what they're talking about when they sell you tools, if they're honest, ought to tell you the same thing.

If you actually read the fine print on the limited warranty on your Ryobi tools, you will learn that technically, if you use them as a professional contractor, you void the warranty. (Well, at least it used to say that). Which always torqued off those of us working the sales floor, as you'd see a cheap-ass contractor buy the cheap tools, burn them up or otherwise destroy them, and then return them & demand their money back because of equipment failure. Of course the equipment failed, it was abused!

Now... any tool that is properly used will last. I have B&D tools that I bought during my term at Depot (which ended about 5 years ago) that are perfectly fine today. I don't abuse them. By the same token, the drill I use the most is a Dewalt. When I want to power drive a screw, I don't want the drill failing on me... it was worth the extra bucks.

Regarding the batteries, next time you're in your local Home Depot, ask to speak to the store manager or assistant manager on duty and explain your concerns about the batteries. They can do something about that, something that the pimply kid on the sales floor can't. Better yet, find out who the District Manager is and drop them a line. With the pressure that they're getting from Lowes, they can't afford to lose loyal customers, so they often go the extra mile. Something as simple as swapping battery packs is one thing they can do -- they don't always, but they can.