PDA

View Full Version : MS Word

X-Rated
04-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Like in Excel, you can have a cell that points to another so that when you fill the one cell, it appears in another cell also.

Can that be done in Word? If I have 5 places for an entry to be seen, can I fill it in at one place and have it filled in for all places or is that only on Excel?

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/Untitled-4.png

WØTKX
04-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Cross references. Should do the job. Sometimes they don't display right, but print preview shows it correctly. I lean towards external references in Excel if a lot of tables are needed. I'm weird and will use Excel by itself, and just don't print the grid-lines. Formatting the page so it prints like a word processing document... left over habits from Lotus 123 days.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/inserting-cross-references-HA001186680.aspx

X-Rated
04-29-2011, 09:00 AM
I will see if I can figure that one out. This isn't looking easy.

WØTKX
04-29-2011, 09:28 AM
it's goofy, but it works. Once you figure it out, the same methodology is in all the Office products.

X-Rated
04-29-2011, 09:44 AM
I have Office 2010. I can make it link to headings and page numbers, but I just want to link one cell to another cell so I can fill multiple cells with one entry. I don't want it to hyperlink or any voodoo. I just want the data in one place to show up elsewhere and if it changes in the one place, it changes accordingly elsewhere.

NQ6U
04-29-2011, 10:54 AM
I hate MS Word.

Back when I used to work in a service bureau outputting digital files as negatives for printing, we wasted so much film on Word files that I finally had to write up a disclaimer to be signed by any client bringing in a Word file. In essence, it said "Proceed at your own risk. We are not responsible for any differences between what you saw on your screen and what comes out on the imagesetter."

X-Rated
04-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Like it or not, I have to work with it.

Also, there is a Primo PDF you can add to your computer. Then you can "print" to Primo PDF and get a PDF of your document. When you are satisfied that the document looks good on the PDF, you can send that file to the printers and the formatting should not change from that point.

I don't know if that would work for you or not, but it should help anyway.

WØTKX
04-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Quark works.

X-Rated
04-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Quark works.

Does Quark fuzz things out or does the clarity remain good after using it?

NQ6U
04-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Does Quark fuzz things out or does the clarity remain good after using it?

Depends. The gay version, Top Quark, definitely fuzzes things out purposely.

W3MIV
04-30-2011, 09:04 AM
I do not use Word. I do not like Word. I will not use it with a goat. I will not use it in a boat.

Oh, sorry, I forgot what I was going to post.

I use Open Office, and I think you can do what you want by inserting a custom field to insert text you wish to place in other locations in the document. I don't know that Word will do this, but I think it will.

X-Rated
04-30-2011, 09:14 AM
I do not use Word. I do not like Word. I will not use it with a goat. I will not use it in a boat.

Oh, sorry, I forgot what I was going to post.

I use Open Office, and I think you can do what you want by inserting a custom field to insert text you wish to place in other locations in the document. I don't know that Word will do this, but I think it will.

Do you know what the option is called there? Is it called "custom field"?

WØTKX
04-30-2011, 09:23 AM
I bet Albi was a Wordperfect user, back in the day. :snicker:

In those days, I went from WordStar to MS Word. I got it free from MS, was a beta tester because I'd become an "expert" at HP printer escape codes, local HP office knew me well. Helped them do a MS Word printer drivers for the LaserJet before it was released. And the ThinkJet printers.

Got me a free HP used "The Portable" for that, loaded with software ROMS and memory. Did a lot of macros and such as well. I continued to use Word for years, as I'd customized a dictionary and screen layout for hammering in AutoLisp for AutoCAD tweaking.

Got free printers from Epson and Panasonic as well. The Panasonic dot matrix printers kick ass.

When Word went to the Windows environment, it got all "Visual Basic" and very annoying. I already disliked Access, preferring a "DOS window" in Windows to use dBase, Paradox, and RBase 5000 for the heavy stuff.

brownalan
05-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Look here:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

W4GPL
05-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I use Open OfficePlease consider using LibreOffice. It's basically the same product, but LibreOffice is run by a foundation that puts the user's interests first and will stay true to the spirit of open source.

http://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/

ad4mg
05-02-2011, 06:18 AM
Please consider using LibreOffice. It's basically the same product, but LibreOffice is run by a foundation that puts the user's interests first and will stay true to the spirit of open source.

http://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/
The good folks at Ubuntu agree. LibreOffice comes bundled with Ubuntu 11.04.

KC2UGV
05-02-2011, 07:12 AM
I use Google Docs...

WØTKX
05-02-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm not ready to put much of my stuff on the cloud.
But I do use Google Docs for a few things.

Framemaker works too, for accurate page layout work. But Adobe is $pendy.

KC2UGV
05-02-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm not ready to put much of my stuff on the cloud.
But I do use Google Docs for a few things.

Framemaker works too, for accurate page layout work. But Adobe is $pendy.

If document setting is what you're wanting to do, AbiWord is fantastic: WYSIWYM (What you see is what you meant). It looks at document creation from a new paradigm (Well, not really new, but not what most software does). If you are writing a book, you format your pages like a book. If you are writing a thesis, you format the document like a thesis.

It takes away the care of "Bold this" and "italics that"... It's really nice once you get into it.

WØTKX
05-02-2011, 08:10 AM
That's cool. I got out of the fancy page setting work a long time ago.

Was a PostScript/Ghostscript basher for quite a while, and a LaserMaster employee.

Cracking the Adobe Postscript "hints" was a major coup at LaserMaster. Heady days.

Microsoft paid the company big bucks for that, became part of Truetype.

KC2UGV
05-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Correction: Not Abiword, but rather Lyx... I was getting the packages confused :)

NQ6U
05-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Anyone here tried Scribus? I've been using it to put together a newsletter for the local council of amateur radio clubs for the past eight months or so. It seems quite capable, but it's unstable. I've learned to save after every change I make.

W3WN
05-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Please consider using LibreOffice. It's basically the same product, but LibreOffice is run by a foundation that puts the user's interests first and will stay true to the spirit of open source.

http://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/Do they have a component that's equivalent to Publisher?

KC2UGV
05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Do they have a component that's equivalent to Publisher?

Not in the LibreOffice suite. However, Lyx is a page setting application.

n2ize
05-04-2011, 02:23 AM
If document setting is what you're wanting to do, AbiWord is fantastic: WYSIWYM (What you see is what you meant). It looks at document creation from a new paradigm (Well, not really new, but not what most software does). If you are writing a book, you format your pages like a book. If you are writing a thesis, you format the document like a thesis.

It takes away the care of "Bold this" and "italics that"... It's really nice once you get into it.

Why would I use that when there is LaTeX ?

KC2UGV
05-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Why would I use that when there is LaTeX ?

Well, I have to correct myself (As I did in an above posting), the application is called LyX. LyX does LaTeX and Docbook (LaTeX preferred). I prefer Docbook, only because there are many tool chains to pageset docbook files into PDF, HTML single page, HTML multi-page, MS Word, etc. LaTeX, while just as prevalent, for some reason there are not many portable tool chains to do the same.

Also, docbook is xml, which makes parsing it for database storage much easier :) However, it is lacking in mathematical expressions.

WØTKX
05-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Jerry quit oscillating here. Too much moderator bias. :roll:

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mba/lowres/mban1387l.jpg

http://fruitfly.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/fruitfly-6.jpg%3Fw%3D169%26h%3D144

W3MIV
05-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I bet Albi was a Wordperfect user, back in the day. :snicker:

Actually, the very first word processor I used was MS Word 1.1 -- it was on 5.25" 360K floppies -- and I bought it along with a Compaq Deskpro computer, graphics monitor (orange characters) with two 360K drives, a 20MB "Winchester" drive and 256kB of RAM. Together with a NEC daisy-wheel printer, it cost me $3,450.00 US in January, 1986. I ordered all the hardware the previous November, and it took two months to get the beast onto my desk.

I was then the Senior VP for Customer Services for a publications firm, and I had finally grown tired of writing annual reports and college admissions prospectuses on an IBM Seletric (which, itself, was a vast improvement over the Olivetti manual iron I had been using previously).

So there.

:slap:

NQ6U
05-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Ah, the IBM Selectric—best typewriter ever made for the touch-typist. I wouldn't mind having one today, even.

W4GPL
05-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Ah, the IBM Selectric—best typewriter ever made for the touch-typist. I wouldn't mind having one today, even.There was a company last year at the Orlando hamfest that was selling clones of the IBM Selectric, but with the 105+ keys for modern PCs. They were quite awesome -- but they were also $200+...

WØTKX
05-05-2011, 01:34 PM
HA! My first PC compatible was a Compaq "portable" in the same configuration.

Luckily, I was working for a dealer. Soon after, I acquired a used Zenith Z-150 which was the first DOS machine I ran a BBS on.

That was a well made PC, with an excellent keyboard. Had an Apple IIc that I won in a sales contest. It kinda sucked, used it for games mostly.