PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever think about someone you never really knew?

X-Rated
04-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Someone you know a lot about but you have never met or conversed? Someone who worked at a position before you got to that job and like you took their old office? The office had personal items and written white papers on Kahlman Filters and stochastic chaotic behavior?

Well I usually don't, but someone mentioned the name "Enrico" on another thread and I got to thinking about Enrico Rodrigo.

Link to Enrico (http://www.cdrewu.edu/cosh/biomedical_sciences/Enrico)

http://www.cdrewu.edu/assets/images/bio/DrRodrigo.JPG

I worked at Austron where we had several people at this level of brilliance. This is where I learned about phase noise and how to measure it. This is where I worked with PhD's to develop high isolation and low noise distribution amplifiers. This is where my boss was a high school grad and he had bachelor's, master's degreed and doctorate degreed professionals working for him who were glad to have this arrangement. We had common goals and no one wanted to sabotage or do anything short of everything they could do to assure all projects went off without a hitch.

Until today, I never knew what Enrico looked like. I googled his name and there is this bio. It's gotta be him. Lives in Los Angeles, writes papers no one knows how to read, and he looks like someone who might have problems picking up chicks. Fits the description that I recall about this brilliant personality.

But I only know about him and think about him as a celebrity and never an acquaintance.

WX7P
04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Someone you know a lot about but you have never met or conversed? Someone who worked at a position before you got to that job and like you took their old office? The office had personal items and written white papers on Kahlman Filters and stochastic chaotic behavior?

Well I usually don't, but someone mentioned the name "Enrico" on another thread and I got to thinking about Enrico Rodrigo.

Link to Enrico (http://www.cdrewu.edu/cosh/biomedical_sciences/Enrico)

http://www.cdrewu.edu/assets/images/bio/DrRodrigo.JPG

I worked at Austron where we had several people at this level of brilliance. This is where I learned about phase noise and how to measure it. This is where I worked with PhD's to develop high isolation and low noise distribution amplifiers. This is where my boss was a high school grad and he had bachelor's, master's degreed and doctorate degreed professionals working for him who were glad to have this arrangement. We had common goals and no one wanted to sabotage or do anything short of everything they could do to assure all projects went off without a hitch.

Until today, I never knew what Enrico looked like. I googled his name and there is this bio. It's gotta be him. Lives in Los Angeles, writes papers no one knows how to read, and he looks like someone who might have problems picking up chicks. Fits the description that I recall about this brilliant personality.

But I only know about him and think about him as a celebrity and never an acquaintance.

Did you eat a lot of acid, Jerry, back in the hippie days?

X-Rated
04-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Did you eat a lot of acid, Jerry, back in the hippie days?

Actually, Dave. I was born this way. I am ashamed to admit that I have never ingested anything more than side smoke. And WYSIWYG.

rot
04-28-2011, 09:33 AM
This is getting really weird Jerry. I mean really weird.
I just befriended (not yet cofirmed)this guy on FB out of the blue and I usually don't do that.
We share a common group and is a Swede biking around the US...he is in or around DC area now and I will offer him a rest stop and maybe a few beers.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100002241800787
I hope to meet him.
You're freakin me out Jerry...
And yes at one time I did inhale.
The Enrico to whom I was refering was Mr. Fermi.
woots
rot

WX7P
04-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Actually, Dave. I was born this way. I am ashamed to admit that I have never ingested anything more than side smoke. And WYSIWYG.

Ha! Actually, that's a quote from one of my all time favorite movies, Repo Man.

X-Rated
04-28-2011, 09:47 AM
This is getting really weird Jerry. I mean really weird.
I just befriended (not yet cofirmed)this guy on FB out of the blue and I usually don't do that.
We share a common group and is a Swede biking around the US...he is in or around DC area now and I will offer him a rest stop and maybe a few beers.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100002241800787
I hope to meet him.
You're freakin me out Jerry...
And yes at one time I did inhale.
The Enrico to whom I was refering was Mr. Fermi.
woots
rot

I am here as a freak and to freak people out. Pretty wild coincidences, Terry.

I also thought it was interesting that Rodrigo is apparently one of the top experts on wormholes. Gawd. I wish some of his brilliance would have rubbed off in that office. A little transference would have been nice.

rot
04-28-2011, 10:25 AM
I often revisit the early 90s in Denmark. It was an opportunity to hang with the heavy hitting well published analytical mentors at Novo Nordisk. Many of their methods are still in use today and have changed very little. Kaj Holme was one of my favorites and just the opportunity to prep reagents and record data in his lab is indeed something I still long for. Hell I would notice and mimic how he held his pen just to write things down. He always listened intensely to every word said. I can see him now saying "Nej Nej", shake his head, grin with "Another thing we don't know" to follow. A huge wit to boot.
Anyhoo...I hear ya man.
rot

n2ize
04-28-2011, 01:24 PM
I often meet people in dreams that I have never met in person. Many of them are people who probably don't exist in reality. Most of them are nice but occasionally they can be nasty. Like the thin guy with short white hair wearing a light khaki jacket who stopped his Volkswagen on the corner, got out, proceeded to point a handgun at me and fired at me killing me. What made him angry enough to shoot at me ? Well, I was folding a parachute in the middle of the intersection so he got mad that I was in his way. Fortunately most of these unknown people I meet in the dream world are far more amicable. I have also hung out with some famous people in dreams, with friends, relatives, family members. I also meet and hang around with many dead people in dreams.

I even had a nice conversation with the Grim Reaper himself in one dream. I met him in the basement lounge of a funeral parlour. He was wearing navy blue pants, a white shirt and tie, a mustard coloured sport jacket and he had a gruff voice and the face of a skeleton. Me and Mr. Grim had a nice chat and he was laughing and telling jokes, carrying on casual conversation, talking about the problems in the world and stuff. For such a grim reputation he was a pretty lively character to hang around with.

X-Rated
04-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Grim is just doing his job. Like a guy who cleans septic tanks. Maybe he has a distasteful job, but it doesn't make the person bad or unlikable.

Sorry to hear you got shot and killed. I did not realize that was you folding your parachute. I would have helped if I had known it was you.

n2ize
04-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Sorry to hear you got shot and killed. I did not realize that was you folding your parachute. I would have helped if I had known it was you.

I thought that was you I saw passing by. :-D:-D

kc7jty
04-28-2011, 07:41 PM
I worked at Austron
I have 3 Astrons. Does that count some?

NQ6U
04-28-2011, 07:55 PM
I have 3 Astrons. Does that count some?

I had an Austin Healy Sprite. Does that count some?

n2ize
04-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Grim is just doing his job. Like a guy who cleans septic tanks. Maybe he has a distasteful job, but it doesn't make the person bad or unlikable.

Mr. Grim was a great person. If I knew how to contact him I would invite him to join the Island. Actually those are my more "normal" dreams. Then there are the really weird ones. Like when i get sleep paralysis and I cannot move, my eyes are wide open and I see dream visions incorporated into the surroundings. It is bizarre. Stress, too much caffeine late at night, and the right kind of weather will bring it on.

NQ6U
04-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Mr. Grim was a great person. If I knew how to contact him I would invite him to join the Island. Actually those are my more "normal" dreams. Then there are the really weird ones. Like when i get sleep paralysis and I cannot move, my eyes are wide open and I see dream visions incorporated into the surroundings. It is bizarre. Stress, too much caffeine late at night, and the right kind of weather will bring it on.

A hypnagogic state, often believed to be the explanation for a lot of the alien abduction stories. Did you feel as if you had a weight on your chest, by any chance? That's commonly reported, as is seeing what looks like a black shape on sitting on your chest.

I've had it happen to me three or four times. I felt the weight a couple of times and saw the shape once; it looked like a crow to me, other people have described it differently. It used to scare me until I found out what caused it. Normally, your brain paralyzes your muscles when you're dreaming, probably to keep you from hurting yourself. Sometimes, for reasons not yet understood, that paralysis doesn't got away immediately when you wake straight out of a dream.

n2ize
04-28-2011, 09:32 PM
A hypnagogic state, often believed to be the explanation for a lot of the alien abduction stories. Did you feel as if you had a weight on your chest, by any chance? That's commonly reported, as is seeing what looks like a black shape on sitting on your chest.

I've had it happen to me three or four times. I felt the weight a couple of times and saw the shape once; it looked like a crow to me, other people have described it differently. It used to scare me until I found out what caused it. Normally, your brain paralyzes your muscles when you're dreaming, probably to keep you from hurting yourself. Sometimes, for reasons not yet understood, that paralysis doesn't got away immediately when you wake straight out of a dream.

Okay. I have never experienced anything that I would relate to aliens or abductions. But, when I do get sleep paralysis it is definitely terrifying. Even though I know what is happening when it is happening it is still scary. When it first happened (in my early 20's) I heard a loud hissing and 60 cycle buzzing noise, sounded like a loud transformer. There are also tactile sensations, you feel like someone or something it touching you. Early on it felt like someone had their cold hands around my neck. Other times yes, it did feel like I was being pressed down by someone or something. But, I could never see who or what it was. I get the sensation there is a very ominous presence nearby that means to do me serious harm but it is always beyond my field of vision. But I have also seen (i.e. hallucinated) other things. One time I saw flames near the window. of course there was no fire but it looked very real. Another time I saw a book on the table and the pages were flipping by themselves. the bizarre thing was the book was really there. If the room is dark I will tend to see shadowy figures or hear whispering voices. Sometimes it will seem like there is a dark smoke-like mist in the aire. It is definately the kind of stuff that myths about ghosts, demons, vampires, evil, and possibly aliens are made of. Of course I tend to believe the more scientific explanation that the dream state is being superimposed over reality and it makes for a rather scary mix. I have also noticed that when it happens I will struggle to move and eventually will snap out of it. But, if I fall back asleep I will fall right back into it.

When it first started happening it was extremely intense and extremely disturbing. But over time I have gotten used to it and it doesn't frighten me as much and it's usually not as intense. As a matter of fact these days I kind of enjoy it... But it still can be kinda scary. It also tends to happen at certain times of the year, mostly in the fall, and early spring. Rarely in winter or summer. Apparently a lot of people get this.

N2NH
04-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I had an Austin Healy Sprite. Does that count some?

I've got a six-pack of Sprite, that should really count.

N2NH
04-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Honestly? I think the only time I've thought about people I haven't met is when I look at the skyline of the city or some of the older buildings.

When I look at the older buildings, you see details that nobody notices. Like the cupola on the 10th floor overlooking the intersection. Nobody looks there, yet someone thought enough to put it there anyway.

Then there's the skyscrapers. There's hundreds, maybe thousands of them. Only built in the last century, sometimes it seems that you blink and ten more are there. The Empire State building was built in less than 2 years from planning to it's finish. I think about the guys who worked on that. If only they could see the progress that we've made. I mean, it's been nearly a decade since the World Trade Center attack and it's replacement isn't even near being finished.

These guys knew how to do their job.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/153/GPP0020.jpg

n2ize
04-28-2011, 11:54 PM
I think about the guys who worked on that. If only they could see the progress that we've made. I mean, it's been nearly a decade since the World Trade Center attack and it's replacement isn't even near being finished.

Probably not really economically feasible to build another giant skyscraper. Not sure who wants to undergo investment in the venture. There is already a lot of unused commercial space in the city.

kc7jty
04-29-2011, 12:21 AM
I've got a six-pack of Sprite, that should really count.

that's like 7up isn't it?

w6tmi
04-29-2011, 12:53 AM

Grrr, I would have shot him too, I am soooo very tired of people folding their farking parachutes on 5th and main!

NA4BH
04-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Grrr, I would have shot him too, I am soooo very tired of people folding their farking parachutes on 5th and main!

I hear ya. It had to be said.

N2NH
04-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Probably not really economically feasible to build another giant skyscraper. Not sure who wants to undergo investment in the venture. There is already a lot of unused commercial space in the city.

Really? Then someone ought to tell them that. They've already started building it and it's supposed to be 50% full as of 2004.

If you want to see how it looks, just watch the 1992 movie Freejack. It looks exactly as it does in nearly the same place as it is in that movie.

http://i55.tinypic.com/oqydzl.jpg

X-Rated
04-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Was it 50% full in 2004?

n2ize
04-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Really? Then someone ought to tell them that. They've already started building it and it's supposed to be 50% full as of 2004.

It depends of who is exactly funding the construction. Naturally some developer is going to say it is a smart idea. Saying the building is 50% full before it is built isn't saying much. Developers will gather all kinds of speculations and have a lot of means of padding a tenant list to make things look good so that investments will flow into a project . Who knows, maybe when its finished it will be a major success. Maybe by then the economy will be booming and they'll be all sorts of hustle and bustle into the area and the new tower will bring a rush of business into lower Manhattan. On the other hand it might be a fizzle.

If you want to see how it looks, just watch the 1992 movie Freejack. It looks exactly as it does in nearly the same place as it is in that movie.

Ahhh... I enjoyed Freejack very much back in those days.

N2NH
04-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Was it 50% full in 2004?

Yep. A lot of government agencies have signed contracts to move there as well as some of the tenants of the ill-fated World Trade Center.

N2NH
04-30-2011, 06:47 AM
that's like 7up isn't it?

Similar, but not the same. If you can't find 7-up, it's a decent second choice.

W3MIV
04-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Why does this thread feel like "one flew over the cuckoo's nest?"

X-Rated
04-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Why does this thread feel like "one flew over the cuckoo's nest?"

It's more like nickles, son.

rot
04-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Well my new FB bud is the cruising the Blue Ridge parkway thru NC ....probably and good move from an ambiance type deal.
No eyeball to eyeball. Types like a nice guy.
rot