PDA

View Full Version : The Name of that Bread is WHAT?

W3WN
04-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Sure have been a lot of ads for a new line of bread lately.

Bimbo.

Really. Bimbo Bread. Animated ads with a cute little bear leading smiling cartoon kids romping through a field, jumping on slices, with a cheery jingle.

Who names this stuff, anyway?

OK, I understand it's an overseas company that's been buying up quite a few North American brands within recent years (including Stroehman's and Thomas' English Muffins)... but did anyone thing about what the word "Bimbo" means?

"Hey Mom! Can I have a slice of Bimbo!" Right.

And if you click on the link... http://www.bimbobread.com/ ... you will get an earful of their cheery commercial. Be warned!

KG4CGC
04-25-2011, 09:44 PM
It's a Mexican brand coming to a store near you! Been here for a few years now. The Mexican flea market even has a booth that sells toddler and children's clothing with the Bimbo logo on it.

NQ6U
04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Charles is corrrect—Bimbo is a huge Mexican corporation. They own a few American brands, too: Entenmann's, Thomas' English Muffins, Orowheat and Sara Lee, among others. Being so close to the border, they're pretty well-known around these parts and have been for years.

kc7jty
04-25-2011, 10:17 PM
The USA is the perfect opportunity for the right strategy company. We are a land of brain dead, respond to what appeals to a 6 yr old. Arnold/Oroweat is on my blacklist, thanks for the Bimbo, Thomas heads up.

In Idaho, store brand, sliced, in the plastic bag, "100% whole wheat" sandwich bread is $1.59 for 24 ounce loaf. Here in suburban Phila. it's $3.99... WTF! And the stuff here has CALCIUM added.
Who determined CALCIUM will be added to all/most sandwich bread sold in SE PA?

NQ6U
04-25-2011, 10:25 PM
The USA is the perfect opportunity for the right strategy company. We are a land of brain dead, respond to what appeals to a 6 yr old. Arnold/Oroweat is on my blacklist, thanks for the Bimbo, Thomas heads up.

Why are you putting it on your blacklist? Because it's Bimbo? Are they any worse than any other big corporation?

WØTKX
04-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Chevrolet No-Go. (No-va).

W4GPL
04-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Chevrolet No-Go. (No-va).Urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

N2NH
04-26-2011, 07:51 AM
They've had Bimbo bread here for awhile. Also SuperBread (which is from India). I get whichever is cheaper. One day I dumped the Bimbo when I found out SuperBread was a buck cheaper.

W3MIV
04-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Who determined CALCIUM will be added to all/most sandwich bread sold in SE PA?

Lots of schools in SE PA. Lowering the school budget by selling off all the used chalk spuds. Gotta do sumpthin wit'em.

w3bny
04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Gringos.....Where the hell you all been. Pan Bimbo has been in my neck of Texas since....Oh...1964 at least.

W1GUH
04-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Charles is corrrect—Bimbo is a huge Mexican corporation. They own a few American brands, too: Entenmann's, Thomas' English Muffins, Orowheat and Sara Lee, among others. Being so close to the border, they're pretty well-known around these parts and have been for years.

Sounds like they're perfectly placed to make those special brownies!

kc7jty
04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Why are you putting it on your blacklist? Because it's Bimbo? Are they any worse than any other big corporation?
Arnold and Oroweat are shady outfits. I once called Arnold by phone and unloaded on some woman for putting artificial sweetener in their bread and not saying so on the front label. IT WAS ONLY IN THE FINE PRINT.

WX7P
04-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Gringos.....Where the hell you all been. Pan Bimbo has been in my neck of Texas since....Oh...1964 at least.

No kidding. Pan Bimbo has been in the Bay Area forever.

NQ6U
04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Arnold and Oroweat are shady outfits. I once called Arnold by phone and unloaded on some woman for putting artificial sweetener in their bread and not saying so on the front label. IT WAS ONLY IN THE FINE PRINT.

Okay, that's a good reason right there.

But, given the theme of this thread, shouldn't you have said "I once called Arnold by phone and unloaded on some Bimbo...?"

kc7jty
04-26-2011, 08:09 PM
HAAH!

n2ize
04-27-2011, 06:04 AM
I'm very wary of these cheap off brand products imported from India or Mexico. Who knows what kind of standards they are made in. For al we know they might be putting pain thinner in the bread. i'mm stick with known brands even if I have to pay more.

X-Rated
04-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

Snopes is an idiot at times. Kinda like saying Marion Morrison was a successful name for an actor.