PDA

View Full Version : Internet Smart devices

N1LAF
04-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I have been following Internet Smart Devices (ISD) looking for that ultimate device. The Sony S370 comes somewhat close, I got it for a good price, can use my iPod as a remote, has Netflix and YouTube, but lacks a web browser... you thinjk they could put opera/mobile on something like this. Got it anyways. Did find some discs that will not play on it, but easily played on a $30 player.\

Next up to bat - Western Digital - WD TV Live Hub Media Center with 1TB Hard Drive
Interesting unit, plays most formats, if not all, built-in drive a plus, and access multiple USB drives (wonder if it will allow multiple WD drives though...),BUT what is missing is a web browser. If it had a web browser, I would buy it right now.

Just saw a Samsung advertisement on TV on their Smart TV's. They have a web browser!!! But do I really need to pay >$3K for this option??? NOT!!!

http://www.samsung.com/us/images/article/tv/Apps_on_TV/SmartHub_MainUI_Article.JPG
http://www.samsung.com/us/article/the-wonder-of-samsung-smart-tvs?K_CLICKID=72ca3cda-14b6-3dc8-6adf-000062d67eb0

But there is hope that some day, on a media player device or DVD player will have a web browser built in.

Did I miss an affordable device with a web browser? Could it be right around the corner? Am I the only one looking for this option?

WØTKX
04-24-2011, 06:20 PM
It's an emerging area, and "ISD" is a very broad definition.

Many would say XBOX, others would say managing your homes energy.

Or a toaster. :dunno:

N1LAF
04-24-2011, 06:24 PM
No Internet Browsers
Roku - XD Wireless Digital Media Player
Sony - Wireless Network Media Player, Model: SMPN100
D-Link - Boxee Box High-Definition Media Player, Model: DSM-380
Sony - 3D / Internet Connectable / Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Disc Player, Model: BDPS780
Apple® - TV®
Western Digital - WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, Model: WDBABX0000NBK-NESN

With Web Browser
Logitech - Revue with Google TV
Sony - Internet Connectable / Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Disc Player with Google TV, Model: NSZGT1
Sony - Google TV 24" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV, Model: NSX24GT1

The Sony - Google TV 24" Class is an interesting product, on sale today only, online only on Best Buy, for $499, has picture in picture, but no DVI/VGA/PC ports, 4 HDMI ports. Hmm.....

WØTKX
04-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Run VMWare on an iPad I guess.

N1LAF
04-24-2011, 06:32 PM
I am starting to see the potential of Android, and where it is going... Google TV, cell phones, hand-held devices, this could be the next technology wave....

Google stocks?!?!?

NQ6U
04-24-2011, 06:53 PM
iOS is doing the same thing and, at the moment, is outselling Android. And before you invest in Google, remember that they give Android away.

N1LAF
04-24-2011, 07:28 PM
So it is sit & wait until the dust settles..

NQ6U
04-24-2011, 07:47 PM
So it is sit & wait until the dust settles..

That's what I'm doing.

KC2UGV
04-25-2011, 07:47 AM
I am starting to see the potential of Android, and where it is going... Google TV, cell phones, hand-held devices, this could be the next technology wave....

Google stocks?!?!?

Yep. Android is being used in many more devices than just phones now: Military is looking strongly at them for use in the field for Battle Command systems; internet tablets; etc.

It really is turning to the "wave of the future", only due to it's open-ness...

iOS is doing the same thing and, at the moment, is outselling Android. And before you invest in Google, remember that they give Android away.

Outselling Android where? On phones, most assuredly not. Android has iOS beat by about 3% in market share, and is outselling iOS units by a large margin.

And, yes, Google gives Android away. Complete with a built-in ad revenue stream source. You can give away the house, if the new owners are paying you for mineral rights on a montly basis.

NQ6U
04-25-2011, 10:14 AM
If you take into account all iOS devices—phones, tablets, iPod Touch, then iOS is still outselling Android. And, ad revenues not withstanding, Google is currently losing money on Android. I don't have anything against Android or Google, I was just suggesting to Paul that Google stock might not be as good an investment as he thought.

KC2UGV
04-25-2011, 11:26 AM
If you take into account all iOS devices—phones, tablets, iPod Touch, then iOS is still outselling Android. And, ad revenues not withstanding, Google is currently losing money on Android. I don't have anything against Android or Google, I was just suggesting to Paul that Google stock might not be as good an investment as he thought.

Losing money on Android?

Please, pray tell, how did you come up with that figure?

W5GA
04-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Military is looking strongly at them for use in the field for Battle Command systems; internet tablets; etc.

And, yes, Google gives Android away. Complete with a built-in ad revenue stream source.
Now the soldiers will have to put up with "We'll return you to the war, right after a message from these corporate sponsors!".

NQ6U
04-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Losing money on Android?

Please, pray tell, how did you come up with that figure?

They're putting more money into development than they are getting back in revenues.

KC2UGV
04-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Now the soldiers will have to put up with "We'll return you to the war, right after a message from these corporate sponsors!".

:lol:

They're putting more money into development than they are getting back in revenues.

You do realize, Android is open source, right? Do you understand how open source works?

But, about your point:
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/42246/20100810/google-apple-revenue-business-model-android-open-source.htm

Seems like they are...

And, at 73 million activations annually...
http://www.businessinsider.com/android-revenue-2010-8

Well, you do the math.

NQ6U
04-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Android is free, but whether or not its Open Source is a matter of debate. As to the revenue, that's also in doubt. As I said, I have nothing against either Google or Android, I just don't think that Android's prospects are a good enough reason to invest in Google stock is all.

KC2UGV
04-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Android is free, but whether or not its Open Source is a matter of debate.

There's no question if it's open source or not:
http://code.google.com/p/android/source/checkout

There's the source. Anyone can check it out, compile it, and distribute it. Here's the license:
http://source.android.com/source/licenses.html

It's mostly licensed under the Apache license:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_License

Some parts under the GPL (Mostly the kernel, which is Linux).

As to the revenue, that's also in doubt. As I said, I have nothing against either Google or Android, I just don't think that Android's prospects are a good enough reason to invest in Google stock is all.

What's in doubt? Android right now pulls in about $5.25 per device, per year for Google, via the ad stream. This does NOT take into account the revenue from the Android Market. It's projected to jump to about $10/device per year.

NQ6U
04-25-2011, 05:29 PM
There's no question if it's open source or not:
http://code.google.com/p/android/source/checkout

Okay, my bad, I did not state my thought well. What I should have said was while Android itself as it comes from Google is Open Source, the version you actually get on a phone is not. It is layered with much proprietary software by the phone manufacturer.

What's in doubt? Android right now pulls in about $5.25 per device, per year for Google, via the ad stream. This does NOT take into account the revenue from the Android Market.

But that number is mostly from search revenues, not Android itself. Google gets similar or greater revenues from the iOS, which also uses Google as its default search engine.

WV6Z
04-25-2011, 06:14 PM
I dunno, I really enjoyed playing with a Thursday night acquisition over the holiday weekend........ a Samsung 'wireless internet inside' Blu-ray player. I really enjoyed finally having a device that is Netflix, Blockbuster and etc., etc. capable as it frees up the laptop from being tethered to the entertainment center. Do I wish it were browser enabled? No, not really, the PC, laptop and Blackberry perform those browser enabled functions for me very well thank you. Do I see where it having been browser inclusive would be a serious selling point as well as even handy at times, yes, yes I do, but, I also feel that enough is enough and for the price of $118 versus the regular price of $138, it does more than I really wanted it to, or at least more than I could have ever imagined possible. Simply put, even though I cannot access Google, the Island or a full blown Facebook with it, it still does what it was intended for very well, so no, I really wont miss not having full browser based web access as the laptop is within arms reach and the Blackberry is in my pocket and both perform those functions flawlessly. For me, enough is precisely that..... enough.