PDA

View Full Version : Cardboard Art

kf0rt
04-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Haven't been around much (miss you guys) -- got a ton of family and work stuff going on here and it's hard to find time for anything related to leisure.

This ain't art, but managed to get away for a couple hours with the wife last Saturday. We went to the Denver Zoo and were treated to a playful performance from a resident polar bear. I bought a Nikon D7000 right before Christmas and planned to have a lot of pictures from the beaches of Cancun (trip canceled the day before we planned to leave).

Photographic excellence it ain't, but maybe a little fun. This sequence was taken in 12 seconds with the 18-105 VR "kit" lens and a lot of frames were left out. I was pushing the limits of speed on the memory card and the guy next to me took one shot with about $6,000 worth of Canon gear.

http://www.westton.com/misc/D7K_PB1.jpg

http://www.westton.com/misc/D7K_PB3.jpg

http://www.westton.com/misc/D7K_PB4.jpg

http://www.westton.com/misc/D7K_PB5.jpg

http://www.westton.com/misc/D7K_PB6.jpg

rot
04-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Good to see ya man.
and yer stuff...cool.
rot

KG4CGC
04-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Those Canon fanbois are such douches.

Now that I have that out of the way, nice texture in the bear's fur as well as the water stills.

kf0rt
04-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Good to see ya man.
and yer stuff...cool.
rot

Need to get out more... seriously. I soooo wanna be retired. Me and the other millions.

kf0rt
04-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Now that I have that out of the way, nice texture in the bear's fur as well as the water stills.

Yeah, it was kinda weird. Saw a lot of Nikons, but the real high-end stuff was Canon. Just a snapshooter here, I'm learning... Hope to get better at it, but if I had a 5D Mk II with a $4K lens, I'm not sure I'd be at the zoo.

KG4CGC
04-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Yeah, it was kinda weird. Saw a lot of Nikons, but the real high-end stuff was Canon. Just a snapshooter here, I'm learning... Hope to get better at it, but if I had a 5D Mk II with a $4K lens, I'm not sure I'd be at the zoo.
I do half the pics you see posted here with a 4mp pocket camera. If you look carefully you can tell but sometimes after the processing through PS, you can't tell. PS doesn't make up for lack of quality but sometimes you don't need a million mpxs and super large glass.

WØTKX
04-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Cool pictures Rob. The Denver Zoo is decent, and the Botanical Gardens rock. I have a new point and shoot cheapie, but it's 14mp with 5x optical zoom. Carry a small monopod around, and that helps a lot. Does HD video too.

Charles, you have an amusing interest in texture. I liked playing with large grain B&W film years ago, overexposing it slightly made for really cool effects, No PS back then. I need to fart around with this camera more.

KG4CGC
04-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Amusing you say. Do I make you laugh? Am I a clown to you? [/Pesci]
Texture and field of view can add a sense of realism that can be taken to the surreal.

WØTKX
04-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Just don't cut off your ear, mmmmkay?

KG4CGC
04-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Just don't cut off your ear, mmmmkay?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/7c093ff4.jpg

W1GUH
04-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Pity polar bears don't make very good house pets. Almost as fun to watch play as dogs and cats.

Nice pix!

WØTKX
04-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Bears are hilarious, from a distance. They joke around, play and have fun kind of like dogs do.

NQ6U
04-22-2011, 12:38 AM
I'm probably anthropomorphizing here but the bear appears to be very satisfied with itself in this shot:

http://www.westton.com/misc/D7K_PB6.jpg

W3MIV
04-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Ahem...

Good to see your call on a post, Rob. And, if you had that much invested you maybe could not afford to go to many places other than the zoo. "A man's got to know his limitations," as a crazy man once advised. ;)

KG4CGC
04-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Ahem...

lulz
I was wondering how long it would be before you notice :)

W3MIV
04-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Actually, I was a Nikon man long before I was a Canon type. Lugged an F3 with the brick motor drive for a few years before moving tentatively into digital, also with a Nikon -- but it was a point-n-shoot. Canon lured me over when they came out with the original Rebel, which was the first of the affordable DSLRs. Now, of course, all my glass is Canon so the die has been cast.

kf0rt
04-22-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm probably anthropomorphizing here but the bear appears to be very satisfied with itself in this shot:

He (/she?) actually waited for crowd applause after performing this feat. No joke (and there was quite a crowd). I was trying to get more info on the bear from the zoo's web site, but came up empty. Don't even know it's name.

KG4CGC
04-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Actually, I was a Nikon man long before I was a Canon type. Lugged an F3 with the brick motor drive for a few years before moving tentatively into digital, also with a Nikon -- but it was a point-n-shoot. Canon lured me over when they came out with the original Rebel, which was the first of the affordable DSLRs. Now, of course, all my glass is Canon so the die has been cast.
They both make fine equipment. My first digital was a Canon Elf SD100. Built like a tank and I still have it but I take the Nikon L4 when I walk the dog. Goes right in my back pocket.

kf0rt
04-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Ahem...

Good to see your call on a post, Rob. And, if you had that much invested you maybe could not afford to go to many places other than the zoo. "A man's got to know his limitations," as a crazy man once advised. ;)

Some sage wisdom there, Albi. My gear now far outstrips my talent (but I know that). I'm all dressed up, just need someplace to go. ;)

kf0rt
04-22-2011, 08:42 PM
They both make fine equipment. My first digital was a Canon Elf SD100. Built like a tank and I still have it but I take the Nikon L4 when I walk the dog. Goes right in my back pocket.

Absolutely. The "fan" stuff doesn't wash much here; nothing at all wrong with Canon. I like the "feel" of Nikon DSLRs better, but that's purely preference. My "belt cam" is a Canon SD780.

It's difficult to buy a bad digital camera these days. The rest is just like the Icom / Kenwood / Yaesu battles.

WØTKX
04-23-2011, 01:42 AM
I used to have Kenwood breath, but now I have Flex breath. :lol:

Can set the Flex up to sound just like an amplified D104 cranked up on an old Yazoo, which created hilarity on 75 meters.

True story, a few nights ago when ragchewing with some audio nuts, some guy calls "contact" running hot audio on an old hybrid FT-101, and I set the transmit EQ up to ape his sound almost perfectly. "CQ CQ DX! You sound a lot like this, if that is what you're trying for, Ohhhhhver!". The regular audio hedz in that group are still laughing about it, but we got the guy to mellow his audio out... it was all about "swinging the meter". I told him to cover up the watt meter with a piece of paper, and then adjust the audio, mostly just turning down the amp in the D104. Worked too, he sounded pretty OK after that.

Hello? :rofl: