PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like 10m is coming alive...

W1GUH
04-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Worked Brazil and Nicaragua throught the KQ2H (http://www.hamrepeater.net/kq2h/)repeater system. It's got 10m inputs, and both stations plus another one I didn't work were full quieting with no QSB (no dropouts).

Love that 10m input. It means I can work some HF in the city!

W5RB
04-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Cool . Looked you up on QRZ to see a bit more about your location .I spent about 6 months at 56th and Broadway , back in '95 . Do you realize that your license is only a week from expiring ?

W1GUH
04-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Cool . Looked you up on QRZ to see a bit more about your location .I spent about 6 months at 56th and Broadway , back in '95 . Do you realize that your license is only a week from expiring ?

No...and thanks for noticing. I thought it was getting close but have forgotten to check. I'm off to the zed to renew.

And yep, I can't hear a thing on HF at my location. I'm on the 4th floor surrounded by high-rises. The absorption of HF signals is severe & the noise level is usually around S9 resulting in an avgl. SNL of -20 or -30 dB. Drat!

KG4CGC
04-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Can you do it from your FCC page? I renewed mine in under 5 minutes. I went looking for license renewal. It was free.

KJ4FEL
04-18-2011, 11:46 AM
I also worked Brazil this morning on 10m (Joe - PU2PAV). It took me repeating my call sign 3 or 4 times before he got it correct but he finally got it when I switched from standard phonetics to using names of countries instead.

My "personal best" so far has been Bosnia (Emil - E71A) also on 10m Saturday. That's 5001 miles from me!

I was using a "new to me" ICom 706MkII2G with a dipole cut for 10 meters that I strung in my attic. Working HF is new to me so I get excited with every QSO I manage to complete :-)

W5RB
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
You can renew from the FCC's ULS page , if you know your CORES password , or if you call their helpdesk , which is very good , BTW. W5YI handles the requests sent via the Zed , for a reasonable fee , but I've always been wary of their policy of insisting on a SSN for renewals , when FRN is preferred . ARRL members can just call the VEC desk , and they'll take care of you , no charge .

W1GUH
04-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Yea, I know there are alternate sources. But the 'zed has always been so good at it, and I like most of what happens over there, I'm glad to give them the business.

X-Rated
04-18-2011, 04:39 PM
http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/frankenstein.jpg

W1GUH
04-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Renewed on the 'zed this morning...FCC database is updated. Bet I get the ticket within 2 days!

Not like olden times....4-6 weeks was the norm.

X-Rated
04-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Renewed on the 'zed this morning...FCC database is updated. Bet I get the ticket within 2 days!

I would think you would be updated tomorrow. You shoulda done it on the ULS system.

W5RB
04-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Yep , you're good 'til 2021 now . Noticed some fancy audio gear in your Zed bio . You must be a broadcast guy .

W1GUH
04-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Yep , you're good 'til 2021 now . Noticed some fancy audio gear in your Zed bio . You must be a broadcast guy .

Naw....not even a wanna-be. But I DID love having a hi-power, hi-fi AM station for the window. And the audio gear was a blast to play with.

Besides the (boring) EQ, there was an Audimax and a Volumax. That Audimax was freakin' great! Could talk softly across the (small) room, then get up close & the modulation stayed constant.

Funny thing about that amp. No matter how I tuned it up, the carrier output was always 375 watts. ;)8)

W3WN
04-20-2011, 08:29 AM
I also worked Brazil this morning on 10m (Joe - PU2PAV). It took me repeating my call sign 3 or 4 times before he got it correct but he finally got it when I switched from standard phonetics to using names of countries instead.

My "personal best" so far has been Bosnia (Emil - E71A) also on 10m Saturday. That's 5001 miles from me!

I was using a "new to me" ICom 706MkII2G with a dipole cut for 10 meters that I strung in my attic. Working HF is new to me so I get excited with every QSO I manage to complete :-)Emil's a good guy to work. I need to send him a card for a couple of QSO's on 80 & 40.

W1GUH
04-20-2011, 10:14 AM

I was using a "new to me" ICom 706MkII2G with a dipole cut for 10 meters that I strung in my attic. Working HF is new to me so I get excited with every QSO I manage to complete :-)

"Working HF is new to me so I get excited with every QSO I manage to complete "

I've never lost that feeling. Enjoy! It's what radio is all about for me.

W5RB
04-20-2011, 11:06 AM

+1
:)

NQ6U
04-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Roger that. I'm only a casual DXer but I still get excited when I get a new one. With my fairly modest station, I don't get a lot of rare ones but I did get New Caledonia a while back, which was pretty cool.