PDA

View Full Version : Tendenitis ??

n2ize
04-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Anyone out here ever have a case of tendinitis ? I did and let me say, the pain can get agonizing.

A few weeks ago I was fooling around with some friends and I did a jump from the roof of this guys garage onto the roof of a beat up car that he is going to junk. I did one jump that worked great and on my second jump my foot twisted to the side a bit putting a strain on my ankle. it hurt for a minute or two and gradually eased up. Later that night however the foot felt tight as hell and I could barely walk on it. About an hour later it was in agonizing pain and I couldn't stand on it much less walk. I took 3 Percocets and I was still in agony for at least 3-4 hours before the pain gradually subsided. it got better and better over a period of two weeks and was pretty much gone.... until about a week ago when it flared up again and was just as agonizing as the first time. Again irt cleared up but then flared up again this past wednesday morning. This last time it wasn't as bad because I took about 800 Mg's of Ibuprofen along with some opium as soon as I felt the pain coming on. This time it hurt bad but I was able to read and do other things. After about 2-3 hours it subsided.

Went to the doctor and he took a look at it and said he thinks it;'s a form of tendinitis. I think he is riight because the path of the tendon he described follows the exact path of the pain. He said that due to the suddenness of the flare ups he suspects that I may have a gout condition that is aggravating the tendon from time to time. He feels that my jump may have put undue strain which set the whole thing in motion.

In any event he prescribed an anti inflammatory and a drug called Colchicine. The anti inflammatory cost about $30.00 for 60 tabs but the Colchicine is out of sight. Apparently it used to be available generically at a low price but the FDA recently approved it for manufacture and sale only to one pharmaceutical company and ordered all generic production and distribution of the drug to cease. The result ? Instead of costing 9 or 10 cents a pill it now costs $4.00 a pill. :angry::angry::angry: Good going FDA!! :angry::angry: Fortunately the doctor gave me a prescription coupon so, if I can't find a pharmacy that has any of the generic stuff left I can use the coupon and it will cost me about $25.00. But what a bunch of crooks. I wonder how many people go without medication they need because of the ridiculously high prices these criminals charge.

Ah well, I won;t be doing any jumps from garage roofs anytime soon. :(:-D

W5GA
04-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Had it in my forearms for years. At one point I couldn't pick up a cup of coffee. Hope yours does better!

n2ize
04-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Had it in my forearms for years. At one point I couldn't pick up a cup of coffee. Hope yours does better!

I hope so too. Sorry to hear about the tendinitis. That must have been quite painful. All types of pain are horrible. The first night it hit me I was wondering if I would ever walk again. I had to literally crawl to get from room to room. Fortunately with the NSAID's and pain killers and some rest I was able to hobble around on a cane and then walk more or less normally the next day.

yesterday i visited a Rheumatologist and he was concerned about the rapidity of the flare ups, even when i didn't put any strain on it. That is what leads him to think it may be getting aggravated by a gout condition. Gout is formed by a buildup of uric acid crystals which can irritate bone joints, tendons, muscles, etc,.. causing inflammation and intense pain. The only sure way to find out is to stick a needle into my foot and pull out some fluid and check for uric crystals....OUCH!! he said he doesn't like to do that because it is intensely painfull. The other way is to do a blood test and check for elevated uric acid. He may want to do that at a later date. Meanwhile he wants me to give it as much rest as possible and take ssome medication for a while and see if it clears up.

W3MIV
04-16-2011, 04:22 PM
A few weeks ago I was fooling around with some friends and I did a jump from the roof of this guys garage onto the roof of a beat up car that he is going to junk.

I would be grateful for the tendinitis given the range of other maladies you may have suffered. Provided, of course, that you survived.

X-Rated
04-16-2011, 04:29 PM
About 9 years ago, at work, I would constantly be hitting a difficult door into the laboratory. I had some pain in my elbow and shoulder that was bad for months. The doctor said it was tendonitis. He gave me samples of Vioxx. I took about half of what he gave me and I felt great again. I threw the rest away. Vioxx was then outlawed. Oh well.

rot
04-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Not sure if I even have tendons in the original insertion holds anymore. They all have been moved to fix the shit that been busted elsewhere.
I try to wave, but end up scratchin my ass.
If I wave it means my ass itches.
Go figure.
rot

KC9ECI
04-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Yep. Went to the doc a few weeks back. My elbow had been hurting a bit and then I lightly bumped it against a door frame and the pain was intense. They gave me a velcro strap contraption to wear on my arm just in front of my elbow. Seems to be helping. Getting old sucks.

W3MIV
04-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Getting old sucks.

Beats all hell out of the alternative.

n2ize
04-16-2011, 07:10 PM
The doctor told me also that icing the region where the pain tends to build up can help. I tried it this evening. I put some ice over the area that I am feeling the residual pain and tightness and it seemed to help.

suddenseer
04-16-2011, 07:24 PM
So IZE is really a redneck?? They have last words on the order of "Hey Fellers, watch this". I have tendinitis with impingement on my right rotator cuff. I have had a surgery, and 3 rounds of physical therapy, and many Rx drugs with no relief. I used to be a sparing partner for local PKA fighters. I was young, and stupid, and did not realize the damage to my body I was allowing. I have found that medical marijuana makes the pain bearable. It also helps with the pain I suffer from shingles. Pain is a daily experience for me, and the complete relief I am not looking forward to.

KC9ECI
04-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Beats all hell out of the alternative.

I don't know. They keep telling me about this place, 'Heaven' that sounds pretty darn good. Never could figure out why if these religious types believed what they were saying they were still so afraid to die.

n2ize
04-16-2011, 09:52 PM
I would be grateful for the tendinitis given the range of other maladies you may have suffered. Provided, of course, that you survived.

It wasn't that far a drop from the roof to the car. Only about 7 foot forward and 8 foot down. It's just that I landed uneven, one foot took the entire landing...sort of like a plane landing hard on one wheel. Of course I never thought to consider that being in my 50's I might not be able to withstand the shock as well as the 20 and 30 year olds that I was hanging out with. Well, whether I like it or not I ain;t gonna be doing any jumps for a very long time. I might even give up doing stuff like that from now on.

n2ize
04-16-2011, 09:58 PM
So IZE is really a redneck?? They have last words on the order of "Hey Fellers, watch this".

Hey y'all, Grab another beer and watch this !!

I have tendinitis with impingement on my right rotator cuff. I have had a surgery, and 3 rounds of physical therapy, and many Rx drugs with no relief. I used to be a sparing partner for local PKA fighters. I was young, and stupid, and did not realize the damage to my body I was allowing. I have found that medical marijuana makes the pain bearable. It also helps with the pain I suffer from shingles. Pain is a daily experience for me, and the complete relief I am not looking forward to.

I could have used some medical marijuana last week around this time. I was in total agony till the sun came up. Needless to say I don;t like taking NSAID's but when you are in pain anything that will lessen the severity or keep it from coming on is welcome.

My Mom had shingles and that was horrific. She would run into her room crying from the pain.

Pain is not fun, especially when it is intense and sustained.

W3MIV
04-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Pain is not fun, especially when it is intense and sustained.

Pain is good for the soul.

n2ize
04-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Pain is good for the soul.

I wish it were good for something. Unfortunately pain is good for nothing.,, except misery.

KG4CGC
04-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Arnica cream. It's a grease looking salve actually based in peppermint oil. Works wonders. Smells nice and it doesn't use that faux ice+heat crap.

N8YX
04-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Stretching, light exercise (with attention to proper cool-down) and hot/cold compress cycling (or a hot shower) often helps.

I fscked up the tendons in my left shoulder last October while doing some heavy (relative) weight training - couldn't sleep on it for weeks and was out of the gym for two months. Got fed up with not being able to train and designed a rehab program based on the above - emphasis on hot showers and post-exercise cool-down coupled with moderate (relative) weight training and good nutrition. It worked. The program has also led to some fairly significant strength gains in the last two months.

Nowadays I can sustain a pretty severe training injury and be back at it inside of a week. Of course, the idea is not to hurt yourself in the first place but letting your body "sit" and hoping for the best appears to have less favorable results than actually continuing a routine of movement. At least for me, and we're not that far apart in age...

W2NAP
04-18-2011, 03:51 PM
marijuana best pain killer, but it makes me fatter.....

i refuse to take any pharmaceuticals imo they are bad. stay natural

n2ize
04-18-2011, 04:42 PM
marijuana best pain killer, but it makes me fatter.....

i refuse to take any pharmaceuticals imo they are bad. stay natural

I don't like to take pharmaceuticals either and I try and limit my use of pharmaceuticals as much as possible. But when it is a choice between spending several hours in agonizing pain and barely able to move I welcome whatever pharmaceutical reduces the severity or brings relief or prevents that from occurring. I prefer the old fashioned, tried and true drugs such as cannabis or opium. But they are not always easy to get in our forbidding society and, sometimes you also need the strong fast acting anti-inflammatory action of the NSAID'.

I think the best approach is to try and keep the use of most pharmaceuticals to a minimum and to try and use them as infrequently as you can. But, when you need em you need em.

w6tmi
04-19-2011, 12:54 AM
From what you describe - landing off kilter, and your foot "rolling" almost sounds like a sprain. Although mild if there wasn't swelling discoloration.

I did mine bad several months ago, playing volleyball came down off a block, onto the guys foot that had come over, and got it bad.
It's healed, but every now and then it's slightly sore. Nothing like what you have (I didnt need drugs except tylenol when/right after it happened) but perhaps there's more then tendinitis.

'YX's advice is sound, keep it moving exercised.

Bearing in mind we ain't Docs.

And the proper redneck procedure would have been, "here hold muh beer and watch this..."

n2ize
04-19-2011, 10:19 AM
From what you describe - landing off kilter, and your foot "rolling" almost sounds like a sprain. Although mild if there wasn't swelling discoloration.

I did mine bad several months ago, playing volleyball came down off a block, onto the guys foot that had come over, and got it bad.
It's healed, but every now and then it's slightly sore. Nothing like what you have (I didnt need drugs except tylenol when/right after it happened) but perhaps there's more then tendinitis.

'YX's advice is sound, keep it moving exercised.

Bearing in mind we ain't Docs.

And the proper redneck procedure would have been, "here hold muh beer and watch this..."

I thought it was a sprain too... at first. But the thing was any pain or swelling went away for several weeks and then one evening it flared up out of nowehere and I was in brutally agonizing pain. The pain subsided and within a day I was back to normal then 5 days later it flared up again. Thats why the doctor suspects it may be a gout condition that is affecting the tendon that runs from the leg, down behind the ball of the foot and along the top of the foot to the toes. But he won;t know if it is definatly gout related until he tests me for high uric acid. he also said that a trauma can precipitate such a condition... in my case the trauma may have been the jumping. Or, it is possible that it had nothing to do with it and it just happened coincidentally.

In any event it is pretty scary because when it does flare up it happens so fast that one minute my foot is fine and then within 10-15 minutes I cannot walk on it. It gets scary to go anywhere because I am never sure I'll be able to make it back under my own power.

KG4CGC
04-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Eat more anti-oxidants.

NQ6U
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Eat more anti-oxidants.

Is Morphine an anti-oxidant?

KG4CGC
04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah sure ok.

n2ize
04-19-2011, 07:09 PM

I don't know but it sure does the trick when your hurt.