PDA

View Full Version : Another exciting day in paradise

W4RLR
04-15-2011, 08:39 PM
It's a little after eight p.m. here now, watching TV is impossible as the local stations are cutting in every few minutes to let us know about the tornado warnings in our area. I have a NWS receiver that is also going off every few minutes. Lots of folks hurt, a few killed to the west of us. It's going to be a long night, just like last week when I lost most of the shack due to straight line winds and lightning. Tonight may be the straw that actually collapses the vertical I haven't disassembled yet.

It's also just six weeks until the start of hurricane season....:chin:

KG4CGC
04-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Wind has been picking up here and the foreplay of of little rain drops has started.

WØTKX
04-15-2011, 08:59 PM
We got badly needed snow and rain from that front, but it sure picked up a lot more ooomph rolling across the plains and eastward.

KG4CGC
04-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Radar is showing a hard line is about to hit us in about 10 to 15 minutes. I hope it's petering out. The terrain tends to slow things down on approach. Combine that with the loss of energy late at night, generally speaking.
National radar maps are showing that this line extends from Florida to Minnesota where it is snow.

kc7jty
04-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Just cold, wind, & rain here, but no matter, I'm off to 3 land tomorrow. Watch the weather crap out for the poor folks there now that I'm coming.

Looks like I'm going to just catch the rear end of the storm when I land in Philly @ 10:45 PM tomorrow.

http://users.rcn.com/bvdrangs/images/Plate_of_scrapple.jpg
scrapple coming up
(I like mine crustier with wet yolk fried eggs, hot sauce and plenty Tropicana OJ.)

N2NH
04-16-2011, 08:49 AM
We're getting hit here tonight. They're already warning of coastal flooding by the ocean and on the L.I. Sound. That means most of the city's boroughs will be affected, if it's really bad, the trains will get shut down. I got stuck in the subway in a two mile long tunnel once. The lights went out and in the dark through the emergency lights I could see water gushing into the car. We stood on the seats as there's a danger of being electrocuted by the 600 volts D.C. on the third rail. It got to just below the seats before it stopped. But for awhile, it looked like we were going to drown.

W5GA
04-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Hope everyone comes through ok. Let us know.

N8YX
04-16-2011, 09:40 AM
It's chilly, damp and a little windy here in Average, Ohio.

rot
04-16-2011, 12:08 PM
'Nado watch 'til 9p.
Kite flying would be primo, that is to the point of no return.
The cows are just.....cows standing there.
rot

NQ6U
04-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Another perfect day here. Yawn. Perfection gets monotonous after a while.

WØTKX
04-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Well, yea... and perhaps a little on the dry side too, eh?

PA5COR
04-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Just read the news here, looks like 16 people got killed by the tornado's and lots of damage...
Just hope nobody here got hit, and the Tornado's will peter out.

rot
04-16-2011, 03:37 PM
No problem here. The worst of it and there were several bad hits south of us marched downtown Raleigh. WRAL just disappeared from tx and we never lost sat feeds here. Going to be ugly down that way.
rot