PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Mixtures

n2ize
04-15-2011, 12:36 PM
A while someone posted a link for a free sample tin of "Maple Street" pipe mixture. Well, they sent me two tins. But this past week I finally got to try the mixture. I smoked it in my short stemmed brier. Not bad. It's a light smoke, with a sort of nutty flavour and a slight hint of sweetness. Mildly aromatic. Mild, with just a little bit of tongue bite. I prefer a mixture that is spicy and rich in Latakia but, for a gently mild smoke this mixture is nice. I would recommend it as a great mixture for beginners.

N8YX
04-15-2011, 01:00 PM
E.A. Carey was once located in the Canton area - they had a walnut-apple blend which was positively joyful to smoke.

I gave all that up in '89, tho...

n2ize
04-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Instead of chewing tobacco I might go back to smoking an occaisional pipe. I want to try the same tobacco in my "chuch warden" pipe and in my bent stem brier (if I can find it). I would like to try and mix some Latakia into the "maple street" blends. I generally prefer smoking Latakia rich mixtures and pure Latakia.

ki4itv
04-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Mostly Mango Diesel right now. :cool2:

rot
04-15-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm strickly Rimboche...Acadian Perique
The son's stuff not the father's blend. Some kind of fermented stuff if I rembember correct..Smoothness.
rot

W7XF
04-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm strictly clean air myself...although pipe tobacco smells immensely better
than cigar or cigarette smoke...I'll pass, thank you.

n2ize
04-16-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm strictly clean air myself...although pipe tobacco smells immensely better
than cigar or cigarette smoke...I'll pass, thank you.

I too appreciate clean air and I generally don;t like to be surrounded by smokers all belching smoke at me. At the same time I still ennjoy an occasional smoke of a quality pipe and a good mixture.

Pipes are not for everyone. But, there is something very subtle and relaxing and classic about smoking a pipe. It is in some ways a throwback to another time. The aroma of the mixture, the taste of the tobacco, the smoke. It is along the lines of enjoying good whiskey, scotch or cognac, or, enjoying the tastes of fine coffee. matter of fact pipe smoking and fine whisky and or coffee go together. And like some types of Scotch and Coffee's, various kinds of tobacco mixtures require an acquired taste. They grow on you over time.

The nice thing about pipes is that there is so much variation. There are so many different tobaccos and mixtures. Ffrom the subtle aromatic cavendish and virginia tobaccos to the rich spicy Balkan and Latakia's and the multitudes of different blends flavourings and variations, historical mixtures dating back centuries to new mixtures that have yet to be tried to personal personal custom mixtures. Mathematically the number of possibilities for pipe mixtures is enormous.

Add to this the many different possibilities of pipes. From the cheapest cob pipes to the expensive ones (yes fine quality cobs can be quite costly) to the many different styles of briers, meerschaums, clay's,etc. Among my favorites are the long stemmed church warden, bent stem briars, old style long stemmed clays. However, I have recently been smoking my short stemmed briar which I happen to like for mild tobacco's.

These days quality pipes are so damned expensive... many falling in the $200 - $500 range. However, quality does not always have to come at a high price. You can get some good pipes in the $50-$150 range. And believe it or not I have a cheap drug store brier that gives an incredibly good smoke and is surprisingly well made.

I consider pipe smoking an example of one of the finer enjoyments in life.

W1GUH
04-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Mostly Mango Diesel right now. :cool2:

My friend Ernie had some Teenage Mother a couple of weeks ago....said it was dynamite!!! Sour Diesel is also a staple.

For the other stuff...David P. Erlich in Boston had a couple of nice ones....Plug Crum Cut and Boston Common.

W2NAP
04-18-2011, 03:55 PM
i finally got my tin today. havent broke it out yet

N9FE
04-19-2011, 09:22 AM
I prefer maui wowi myself. OH wait a minute the was the seventy's.. Carry on

rot
04-19-2011, 09:33 AM
I prefer maui wowi myself. OH wait a minute the was the seventy's.. Carry on

Back in the day it was the ole California Creeper.
Wait for it.:rofl:
rot

n2ize
04-19-2011, 10:09 AM
i finally got my tin today. havent broke it out yet

You'll like it. It is a relatively mild tobacco. The smoke is gentle and gives very little tongue bite. I've been smoking it in a short stemmed briar and it gives almost no tongue bite. I tried a bowl in my churchwarden and it was smooth...no bitterness or bite at all.

I am trying to track down a good mixture that has a high Latakia percentage. Thus I am looking at some of the English mixtures. I want something thats at least >= 50% Latakia. I found a site that is selling straight Latakia for blending. I am tempted just to by that and either make my own mixture or, (gasp) smoke the Latakia straight.

KG4CGC
04-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Where you live, John, there should be a good tobacconist within walking distance.

n2ize
04-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Where you live, John, there should be a good tobacconist within walking distance.

I think there are 1 or 2 decent ones not too far away. There are several in Manhattan. I used to go to "Arnold's" on Madison Ave. I bought my first Stanwell pipe from him. He also had some nice house blends including a couple of really nice Latekia blends. Unfortunately Arnold's closed his NYC store but he is still online and, there are several other tobacconists in NYC including Nat Sherman amongst others.

n2ize
04-19-2011, 10:26 AM
My friend Ernie had some Teenage Mother a couple of weeks ago....said it was dynamite!!! Sour Diesel is also a staple.

For the other stuff...David P. Erlich in Boston had a couple of nice ones....Plug Crum Cut and Boston Common.

Those are some fine mixtures you're smokin there lad.

KG4CGC
04-19-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't know what the law is regarding pipe tobacco now. It has be changing often and much. I do know that roll your own tobacco is the new scapegoat of the retail tobacco world. No out of state sales on the internet. Not sure if this holds true for other forms of tobacco. I know many people used to order cigars online from Thompson.

n2ize
04-19-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't know what the law is regarding pipe tobacco now. It has be changing often and much. I do know that roll your own tobacco is the new scapegoat of the retail tobacco world. No out of state sales on the internet. Not sure if this holds true for other forms of tobacco. I know many people used to order cigars online from Thompson.

Hmmm... Nobody that I know has any trouble ordering pipe tobacco online. Guys order it from overseas, from across country, etc. and it gets delivered no hassles. matter of fact for some pipe smokers ordering from out of state online or overseas is the ONLY way they can get good quality mixtures.\

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days nanny makes it illegal to buy, posess, own, or smoke pipes and pipe tobacco. Maybe Nanny can argue that pipes can be used to smoke dope. Nanny likes to do things "for our own good" and, "to protect the children".. My God...think of the children !!

N8YX
04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
...think of the children !!
Who are going to be a self-limiting problem in the next generation or two (at most). Assuming you mandate or legislate the removal all common sense, logic and personal responsibility from the little darlings' thought processes, when they as a group hit the proverbial wall they will do so at full-tilt.

KG4CGC
04-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Who are going to be a self-limiting problem in the next generation or two (at most). Assuming you mandate or legislate the removal all common sense, logic and personal responsibility from the little darlings' thought processes, when they as a group hit the proverbial wall they will do so at full-tilt.
I see a scenario like "Children of the Corn."

n2ize
04-20-2011, 01:26 PM
I was thinking of trying a tin of this...

http://www.pipetobacco.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/MTTLAT.jpg

http://www.pipetobacco.com/page/pipet/PROD/MTTLAT

And blending it with my regular tobacco or, maybe even trying some straight up. I like that rick spicy smoky smell and taste of Latakia tobacco. Some people don't like it and describe the aroma as being "harsh" or "smelling more like a campfire than a traditional pipe". But, every time I've smoked Latakia I've found it to be incredibly mmild and very flavorful. IMHO superior to most other tobaccos. I am tempted to try a tin.