PDA

View Full Version : Almost 1/2 of all US Meat Found to Be Contaminated with Bacteria

N2NH
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Meat bought in stores in 4 US cities has been found to be widely contaminated with a drug resistant bacteria.

Nearly half of all meat and poultry sampled in a new study contained drug-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus, the type of bacteria that most commonly causes staph infections. Such infections can take many forms, from a minor rash to pneumonia or sepsis. But the findings are less about direct threats to humans than they are about the risks of using antibiotics in agriculture.

Researchers from the Translational Genomics Research Institute, a nonprofit biomedical research center in Phoenix, analyzed 136 samples of beef, chicken, pork and turkey from 80 brands. The samples came from 26 grocery stores in five cities: Los Angeles, Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Flagstaff, Ariz., and Washington, D.C.

About half — 47% of the samples — contained S. aureus, the researchers reported Friday in Clinical Infectious Diseases. Of those bacteria, 52% were resistant to at least three classes of antibiotics. DNA testing suggested the animals were the source of contamination. The research was funded by the Pew Campaign on Human Health and Industrial Farming.

Meat contaminated with resistant bacteria (http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-meat-bacteria-20110415,0,7997782.story)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y8m29ZLX5ag/SYfZ3Nrt8jI/AAAAAAAACtg/ToRLQpPpUSI/s400/QUICK+DRAW+McGRAW.jpg

W3WN
04-15-2011, 11:00 AM
DNA testing suggested the animals were the source of contaminationReally? Wow! Who'd a thunk it!

N8YX
04-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Bush'sObama's fault.

NQ6U
04-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Bush's Obama's Bush's fault.

Fixed that for you...

KC2UGV
04-15-2011, 11:38 AM
This is why I am opposed to frequent use of vaccines and antibiotics...

We shouldn't be using either on diseases that generally pass on their own.

Over-use of sanitizing agents is another one of those I am opposed to. A little dirt is great for the immune system. A little "exercise" for it is good to. Keeps it going, and ready to respond to anything LIKE what you've been exposed to in the past.

These things are "drug resistant", because of all of these things.

KG4CGC
04-15-2011, 11:51 AM
There actually was a lot of deregulation in the meat industry from 2001 on.

http://governmentisgood.com/articles.php?aid=15

Call me partisan if it makes you feel better. I don't care.

NQ6U
04-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Call me partisan if it makes you feel better.

Okay, you're a cab. Oh, wait, wrong joke...

N8YX
04-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Over-use of sanitizing agents is another one of those I am opposed to. A little dirt is great for the immune system. A little "exercise" for it is good to. Keeps it going, and ready to respond to anything LIKE what you've been exposed to in the past.
According to the wisdom of our resident 'Sanitizer Sallies', I should be dead several times over considering all the "dirt" which has been in (and on) me throughout the course of my life. The OCD is strong with some...

KG4CGC
04-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Drugs are no longer the correct approach but if we did find the best method for dealing with this and other bacteria, someone would cry poverty because there is the possibility of not having an adequate supply of sick people. You know, these people need to get over themselves. There will ALWAYS be an abundance of sick people to keep them obscenely rich.

KC2UGV
04-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Drugs are no longer the correct approach but if we did find the best method for dealing with this and other bacteria, someone would cry poverty because there is the possibility of not having an adequate supply of sick people. You know, these people need to get over themselves. There will ALWAYS be an abundance of sick people to keep them obscenely rich.

Sometimes, drugs are the best approach. However, they are oft times over-prescribed.

Every single case of strep throat does NOT need antibiotics. Every child does NOT need a Chicken Pox vaccination. Every surface does NOT need to be sanitized.

KG4CGC
04-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Sometimes, drugs are the best approach. However, they are oft times over-prescribed.

Every single case of strep throat does NOT need antibiotics. Every child does NOT need a Chicken Pox vaccination. Every surface does NOT need to be sanitized.
Maybe, but I don't want to eat somewhere that got a B on it's last inspection.

KC2UGV
04-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Maybe, but I don't want to eat somewhere that got a B on it's last inspection.

Have you ever looked at a sponge under a microscope? Or a cleaning cloth?

Even if it passes inspection, you have a host of microbes living there.

But, it's not really about the institutional cleaning. It's personal homes I'm mainly talking about. Should you sanitize food prep areas? Sure. Should you sanitize doorknobs? Phone handsets? Why?

KG4CGC
04-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Should you sanitize doorknobs? Phone handsets? Why? I kill flu and most times if your stress index is on par you'll be OK. Stress indexes drop though and exposure will get ya.

KC2UGV
04-15-2011, 02:17 PM
I kill flu and most times if your stress index is on par you'll be OK. Stress indexes drop though and exposure will get ya.

So, rather than worrying about sanitizing things, just "relax... go do it!"

KG4CGC
04-15-2011, 02:20 PM
So, rather than worrying about sanitizing things, just "relax... go do it!"
I have no idea where you're going now.

KC2UGV
04-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I have no idea where you're going now.

People worry about everything being sanitized and clean. You point out that increased stress levels make you more likely to get a bad case of the flu. So, stop stressing about cleaning everything, and you'll be fine :)

It was a joke. Apparently, it fell on it's face :)

KG4CGC
04-15-2011, 02:25 PM
People worry about everything being sanitized and clean. You point out that increased stress levels make you more likely to get a bad case of the flu. So, stop stressing about cleaning everything, and you'll be fine :)

It was a joke. Apparently, it fell on it's face :) Consider the crowd. I slop drinks.

n2ize
04-22-2011, 04:51 AM

It was a joke. Apparently, it fell on it's face :)

The problem is we need to develope and use more drugs and vaccines, not less.

rot
04-22-2011, 06:19 AM
A pretty cool book if you are so inclined from the historical perspective is http://www.im.microbios.org/01march98/09%20Summers.pdf .
Microbiologist are are a peculiar lot. Some interesting approaches in resolve to complex/issues problems. I have had on occasion, oportunity to share a project or two with a gentleman whose great grandpa invented the Gram stain. A total delight to work with and a great listener. One project involved welds on fermentor piping. The dude wanted to evaluate all the weld points and changed a few cleaning procedures,rewelded alot...Dropped the hell out of contam rates. Always liked his "look at the obvious first" approaches, that is if you have a clue what should be obvious in that discipline.
Hand washing and cooking temps/times for instance.
rot

KC2UGV
04-22-2011, 07:54 AM
The problem is we need to develope and use more drugs and vaccines, not less.

No, the problem is the overuse of current medical technology, removing natural selection from it's normal process.

It's a sad thing to be sure; but not every member of a population was meant to pass their DNA onto the next generation. And, because of that law, we got stronger immune systems, that are naturally resistant to disease.

Once you start promoting weak immune systems into the evolutionary chain; we then start to build a reliance on drugs. Not something that comes without unintended consequences (ie MRSA).

n2ize
04-22-2011, 09:37 PM
No, the problem is the overuse of current medical technology, removing natural selection from it's normal process.

It's a sad thing to be sure; but not every member of a population was meant to pass their DNA onto the next generation. And, because of that law, we got stronger immune systems, that are naturally resistant to disease.

Once you start promoting weak immune systems into the evolutionary chain; we then start to build a reliance on drugs. Not something that comes without unintended consequences (ie MRSA).

But it goes against the nature of mankind. Think of it this way. We developed vaccines and antibiotics. They are there and they are available. Now, who is going to be the one who is going to make the first call and tell some patient with a bad infection, "Excuse me sir, but you have a weak immunu system and inferior DNA so, I am not going to give you and vaccines or antibiotics,..., instead I am going to let you die because you were not meant to pass your weak genes on to future generations". Would you want to be the doctor who is going to tell some patient that news ?

We really have no choice than to treat everyone, or, treat no one.

n2ize
04-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Incidentally, this issue with the meat is all the more reason why more Americans should hunt and kill their own meat.

N2NH
04-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Incidentally, this issue with the meat is all the more reason why more Americans should hunt and kill their own meat.

Preferably with bows and arrows.

n2ize
04-23-2011, 05:16 AM
Preferably with bows and arrows.

Hunting with bow and arrow is not bad. I know at least two hunters who are strictly bowmen. Bow hunting can be quite challenging.

KG4CGC
04-23-2011, 09:44 AM
I prefer using knives and rocks, then wrestling my prey until it submits.

NQ6U
04-23-2011, 04:19 PM
I prefer using knives and rocks, then wrestling my prey until it submits.

I wrestle mine to the ground first, then bite down on their windpipe until they suffocate.

W3WN
04-25-2011, 08:55 AM
The problem is we need to develope and use more drugs and vaccines, not less.The problem is that we not only need to develop and use better drugs and vaccines, but that we also need to properly use them.

KC2UGV
04-25-2011, 09:11 AM
But it goes against the nature of mankind. Think of it this way. We developed vaccines and antibiotics. They are there and they are available. Now, who is going to be the one who is going to make the first call and tell some patient with a bad infection, "Excuse me sir, but you have a weak immunu system and inferior DNA so, I am not going to give you and vaccines or antibiotics,..., instead I am going to let you die because you were not meant to pass your weak genes on to future generations". Would you want to be the doctor who is going to tell some patient that news ?

We really have no choice than to treat everyone, or, treat no one.

I'm not saying we shouldn't treat anyone. My point is we are not allowing our immune systems to get a "workout" by prescribing antibiotics for the first sign of a bacterial infection; or using immunizations for diseases with a mortality rate of 0.01% (Untreated)...

We are in affect; removing nature's way of creating a stronger species, to our own detriment. Now, every new virus that we come across is "deadly". Used to happen, a new virus would make some people sick, and most would recover fine.

NQ6U
04-25-2011, 10:58 AM
We are in affect; removing nature's way of creating a stronger species, to our own detriment. Now, every new virus that we come across is "deadly". Used to happen, a new virus would make some people sick, and most would recover fine.

Yeah, like in the influenza epidemic of 1918... Oh, wait... Or maybe one of the plague epidemics that swept through Europe would be a better example, since antibiotics don't work on viruses?

Actually, though, I agree with you that antibiotics have been over-prescribed and improperly used, giving rise to all those new drug-resistant strains of bacteria. But, look on the bright side: at least it's irrefutable proof that Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection is accurate.

KG4CGC
04-25-2011, 12:06 PM
I wrestle mine to the ground first, then bite down on their windpipe until they suffocate.
Do you then drag your prey up into a tree so that you can get a clear view of scavengers and interlopers?

NQ6U
04-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Do you then drag your prey up into a tree so that you can get a clear view of scavengers and interlopers?

Don't need to. They've learned not to mess with me.

KG4CGC
04-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Don't need to. They've learned not to mess with me.
Is it the smell?

NQ6U
04-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Is it the smell?

They fear my wrath. And the smell.

KG4CGC
04-25-2011, 12:53 PM
They fear my wrath. And the smell.
http://crepesofwrath.net/2010/05/10/southern-fried-pork-chops/