PDA

View Full Version : New Radio Time! What y'all think I should get??

W7XF
04-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks to Uncle Sam, and that bitch Jan Brewer, I get to get a new radio this year.

I pretty much have it narrowed down to either the IC-7000 or another FT-857D.

I have a 857D now (an older one). Any thoughts between the two??
Pro's/con's welcome, as long as it doesn't turn into a war zone.

KJ3N
04-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Take it from a guy who owns two; IC-7000 without question. :werd:

NQ6U
04-12-2011, 09:59 PM
I vote for the IC-7000--newer technology, better receiver. The FT-897 is more comparable to the (now discontinued) IC-706 Mk IIG and while still a good unit, is getting a little long in the tooth. If you're going to drop that much coin, might as well go for the most modern radio.

WØTKX
04-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I have two FT-857D's and it's really handy having one in the shack (mostly for VHF/UHF) and one in the car.
Not as much fun on HF, but I'm spoiled with my HF only radios... big time.

If you are doing most of your hamming in the truck, I'd get the IC-7000.
Slices and dices noise really well on HF, DSP is nice in that rig. Listen-able.

W7XF
04-12-2011, 11:09 PM
As y'all probably already guessed, I spent the afternoon at HRO comparing my 3 initial choices. The Kenwood got knocked out of contention when it almost couldn't hear the OMiss Net on 14.290. The IC7000 and FT857D was hearing it equally well. I did notice that the DSP on the latest FT857D has been refined somewhat, however, to my ear, it NEEDS the optional SSB filter. The IC-7000 was quite clear. And, the IC-7000 has better audio out the stock speaker than the 857. Oh well..... I have about a week and a half to decide which one it is, then the trip to Oregon, New Hampshire or Delaware to get it (too bad AES isn't in a state that lacks a sales tax). I'm just NOT going to buy it in 9.6% Arizona.

W5GA
04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
TenTec Eagle.

W4RLR
04-13-2011, 03:11 AM
Yaesu FT-950 kicks ass. Just a few hundred more than the FT-857, and worth it.

PA5COR
04-13-2011, 04:55 AM
Comparing the FT 857/897 with my old FT 100 ( no D) side by side at Jota/Joti proved the Ft 857 to be a lot more noisy and less capable as the FT 100 i have, the FT 847 that also has the Collins filters like the FT 100 has standard, blew the 857 away on H.F.

The Icom might be a better choice, i have no hands on experience with the radio.
As Richard said, the FT 950 is lots more radio, but costs more too.
Sometimes waiting a bit and saving up pays off, you will probably use the radio for years to come.
My FT 847 was bought new 12 years back adding the Collins filters upped the price to 6300 Guilders then, or 2500 Euro's in today's prices.
The second i bought 2 years back new in box never used was 900 Euro's....last batch from 2005.
The FT 100 was second hand, as new for 400 euros, adding the AM xtal filter from Collins 50 euro's and 2 hours work to get it in the radio... not for the faint hearted.

When reading up on the Eham.net reviews keep an open mind, lots of haters pushing the radio down, or people upping the mark, just for being a fan of aa brand of radio.
Try out a radio before you buy it is the best option, you are the one that will use it in your situation.

Good luck with your choice.

;)

W3MIV
04-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Last Yaesu I owned was FT101E, which was an excellent rig which I sold for more than I paid for it. I prefer ICOM. Own three. Luv the IC756P3 and have had no desire to change. Ye pays ye money and takes ye choose.

w3bny
04-13-2011, 08:01 AM
I have an 857D and its a nice mobile rig but the filtering is kinda sucky. Have you considered a Kenwood TS-480HX. I luffs mine!!! A LOT!

WØTKX
04-13-2011, 09:23 AM
I thought about mentioning the Ten Tec Eagle, but I presumed VHF/UHF was wanted along with HF.

The Eagle is tiny, and kicks ass on HF.

WX7P
04-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey Kevin.

If what you have works, why replace it?

I have a friend (N6LSU) who still uses the FT-757 he bought new in 1985. I wish I still had mine, that I bought at the same time.

WØTKX
04-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Bragging rights? :lol:

W3WN
04-13-2011, 11:16 AM
TenTec Eagle.Agreed -- although that wasn't one of the choices. With the auto-tuner, natch.

W3WN
04-13-2011, 11:19 AM
I have an 857D and its a nice mobile rig but the filtering is kinda sucky. Have you considered a Kenwood TS-480HX. I luffs mine!!! A LOT!Not a bad mobile rig, although if you want or need an auto-tuner, you have to get the TS-480SAT @100 W out instead of the HX @ 200 W out.

But after having used the 480SAT for about a year, well, I wouldn't turn one down if it were given to me, but I found it lacking in the shack when it came to weak(er) signal reception for DX'ing (the old Ten-Tec Corsair II beat it hands down, every single time), and even with an optional 500 Hz CW filter installed, it got it's butt kicked during heavy band-operating periods like contests.

N9FE
04-13-2011, 08:52 PM
TS 480 mobile no question the best performer. Have you tried the ts590 for home use. Thats my next radio.

N2NH
04-13-2011, 09:32 PM
I like the FT-857D, having had one myself, but I also agree with Richard, I'd go for the Icom. The only drawback is that here in NYC there is a LOT of RFI, both man-made and natural. Most Icoms can not hack it in this environment and the FT-857D not only did, but the DSP was incredible. I haven't had any time with the new Icom, but I'd give it the acid test and see which of them can cut the mustard on 40M when the Sky Pilots start 'casting.

KG4CGC
04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Get as much radio as you can afford. When buying new, that usually works for most things.

N8YX
04-14-2011, 05:31 AM

The only drawback I've heard of is a PA driver which isn't adequately heat-sinked for the job at hand...but this is only going to be a problem in a very hot, confined environment. Rig an external muffin fan to blow on the PA heat sink area and you should be good to go.

W1GUH
04-14-2011, 08:47 AM
I like the FT-857D, having had one myself, but I also agree with Richard, I'd go for the Icom. The only drawback is that here in NYC there is a LOT of RFI, both man-made and natural. Most Icoms can not hack it in this environment and the FT-857D not only did, but the DSP was incredible. I haven't had any time with the new Icom, but I'd give it the acid test and see which of them can cut the mustard on 40M when the Sky Pilots start 'casting.

"The only drawback is that here in NYC there is a LOT of RFI, both man-made and natural. "
And some areas nothing cuts the mustard. A SNR of -30 dB is simply unfixable.

W1GUH
04-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Nobody's mentioned vintage gear. If you haven't played with one, a TR-7 is a very, very sweet radio to play with. A fraction of the cost of a new rice box ($400-$450), sound that's indescribably sweet, ultra-reliable, construction that's nice to work on, and copious info on the web about keeping it that way.

But sans bells and whistles.

N9FE
04-14-2011, 08:56 AM

The only drawback I've heard of is a PA driver which isn't adequately heat-sinked for the job at hand...but this is only going to be a problem in a very hot, confined environment. Rig an external muffin fan to blow on the PA heat sink area and you should be good to go.

Fred: I can refer keven to atleast ten guys who had 7000's. Besides the constant RF and mic problems, One guy sent it back to icom 4 times only to have the same problem. Each and everyone switched to either a ts480 or back there original 706. The 7000 is a problem child for icom, And they know it..

KJ3N
04-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Fred: I can refer keven to atleast ten guys who had 7000's. Besides the constant RF and mic problems, One guy sent it back to icom 4 times only to have the same problem. Each and everyone switched to either a ts480 or back there original 706. The 7000 is a problem child for icom, And they know it..

Not my experience at all, and I have 2 of them. YMMOV

W3WN
04-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Nobody's mentioned vintage gear. If you haven't played with one, a TR-7 is a very, very sweet radio to play with. A fraction of the cost of a new rice box ($400-$450), sound that's indescribably sweet, ultra-reliable, construction that's nice to work on, and copious info on the web about keeping it that way.

But sans bells and whistles.That's a good point. Older equipment can often be had relatively inexpensively, and if there aren't specific bells and whistles desired, you get more bang for the buck.

A Drake R4C/T4XC outfitted with Sherwood filters is still a top of the line radio. And don't overlook a Ten-Tec Corsair or the older Omni's.

W3WN
04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
TS 480 mobile no question the best performer. Have you tried the ts590 for home use. Thats my next radio.If I had been buying the radio, I would most likely have gone with a 590 for home use instead of a 480. However, I didn't have much of a choice, you see... it was 2nd prize at the Breezeshooter's Hamfest. Shocked the heck out of me when I got the word that I won it -- hadn't won so much as a book of matches at that 'fest in 25+ years before that!

So, considering that I ended up trading it (to someone who wanted a mobile rig) even up for an Omni VI+, I have no complaints!

N8YX
04-14-2011, 09:53 AM
A Drake R4C/T4XC outfitted with Sherwood filters is still a top of the line radio.
But it's also t00b final - specifically, 6JS6C sweep tubes - and they haven't been made in a long, long time...

W3WN
04-14-2011, 11:09 AM
But it's also t00b final - specifically, 6JS6C sweep tubes - and they haven't been made in a long, long time...And?

Seriously...

I'll tell you what, for the 4 or 5 years I had it, I liked the C-Line, from an operational stand point. My only gripe with it was that being a hybrid, the tubes needed to warm up. So on more than one occasion, when I had a half hour or so to spare to DX, I'd lose 10 minutes of that waiting on the rig. And eventually, that was the primary reason I ended up trading the rig for a solid state one. At the time, though, if I'd been able to afford another rig without trading the Drakes, I probably wouldn't have.

I wouldn't mind having a C-Line on hand again, down the road (when I have more room). But I wouldn't want it as my primary radio at present, simply for that reason. Now on days when I'd have more time, I might sing a different tune. And of course, YMMV, VWPBL(STn).

Right now, I wouldn't be looking for one... I have the Omni VI+ as my primary rig, the Corsair II as the backup & dedicated 160 rig, a PM-2B to toy with on QRP, a TS-520 for nostalgia's sake, and out in the garage, a Swan 3Drifty, er, 350 awaiting a work bench and a new PS and related TLC. Simply no room for another pair of Drake twins... let alone my long lost HT-37/SX-111/HT-41 station, but I may never seen anything that vintage again (the price on vintage Hallicrafters has skyrocketed the last few years for one thing)

And that said... tubes can be found. They're not cheap, but they can be found. Another reason why I wouldn't make a classic hybrid or all thermionic rig or rigs my primary station, but they ARE fun to play with!

NQ6U
04-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Nobody's mentioned vintage gear. If you haven't played with one, a TR-7 is a very, very sweet radio to play with.

A Drake R4C/T4XC outfitted with Sherwood filters is still a top of the line radio. And don't overlook a Ten-Tec Corsair or the older Omni's.

I'm a huge fan of those classic Drakes but it would be hard for Kevin to use either one of them in his tractor.

W1GUH
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm a huge fan of those classic Drakes but it would be hard for Kevin to use either one of them in his tractor.

As well built at the TR-7 is...it just might be up to the task!!!

Gonna go do a review in the appropriate forum. The more I fiddle with that radio the more I'm totally in love with it.

W7XF
04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
<snip>Not a bad mobile rig, although if you want or need an auto-tuner, you have to get the TS-480SAT @100 W out instead of the HX @ 200 W out. <snip>

As far as the mobile HF antenna, I have a Tarheel II screwdriver, so the TS480SAT was an option at first. It's still in the back of my mind, however, the one that was on the display at HRO in Phoenix was kind of sucky in the receive department. I would have to buy a new auto-tuner for home if I get the TS480SAT, since I'm a diehard fan of inverted-V and long wire antennae. I will give the TS-480SAT another chance before finally dropping the coin, just incase it was just that individual radio that proved a bit hard of hearing. The IC-7000 and FT-857D were pretty much equal as far as receive sensitivity as far as I could tell. (I listened to the OMISS net for the trial).
Audio quality was superior on the IC-7000, although, with a quality external speaker, the Yaesu is equal. Cooling won't be an issue, as I will use the remote mounting and place the radio near a HVAC vent in the truck.

But I do like the superior filtering of the IC-7000. And, (as if I'd ever use it) the contest DVR is kind of a neat addition.
And with my not-getting-any-younger eyes, the displays on the 7000 and TS480 are easier to read.

KG4CGC
04-14-2011, 12:30 PM
You can expand the display on the 7000 as well to a larger monitor.

N8YX
04-14-2011, 12:45 PM
And?

Seriously...

I'll tell you what, for the 4 or 5 years I had it, I liked the C-Line, from an operational stand point. My only gripe with it was that being a hybrid, the tubes needed to warm up. So on more than one occasion, when I had a half hour or so to spare to DX, I'd lose 10 minutes of that waiting on the rig. And eventually, that was the primary reason I ended up trading the rig for a solid state one. At the time, though, if I'd been able to afford another rig without trading the Drakes, I probably wouldn't have.
If you are going to play with a tube rig...get hold of a TS-830S, FT-90x or (possibly) a 75-S3x/32S-3 setup.

The "B" line worked well out-of-the-box. The "C" line (especially some of the earlier production models) suffered from some very boneheaded engineering decisions and as such requires a bit of rework to make it as reliable and robust as the "B".

I can re-tube a 2x 6146 hybrid for about $70. Those -JS6Cs may easily fetch that for each tube within a few years.

W3WN
04-14-2011, 12:48 PM
As far as the mobile HF antenna, I have a Tarheel II screwdriver, so the TS480SAT was an option at first. It's still in the back of my mind, however, the one that was on the display at HRO in Phoenix was kind of sucky in the receive department. I would have to buy a new auto-tuner for home if I get the TS480SAT, since I'm a diehard fan of inverted-V and long wire antennae. I will give the TS-480SAT another chance before finally dropping the coin, just incase it was just that individual radio that proved a bit hard of hearing. < snip >Odds are that it wasn't just that radio. I've heard the same thing from other '480 owners (past and present).

The radio isn't bad; for casual operation it's more than adequate, it's design lends itself very well for mobile installation, computer interface is pretty straight forward (although I wish they'd have provided a cable instead of just a connector for the aux socket), the adjustable digital filter was fantastic, and Kenwood's software is pretty good. But... it's receive sensitivity and selectivity leave something to be desired, to put it mildly.

I could hear things on a 1980's vintage Corsair II, loud and clear, that the 480 (same frequency, same antenna) could not, or could just barely detect. When WQ3T (who lives, literally, around the corner and up a block from me) was on 40 CW, the 480's front end was saturated; the Corsair didn't notice unless I was within about 5 kHz of him. And in contest or heavy QRM situations, including large DX pileups... the radio didn't hold up, all you'd hear is a blur of noise.

For a "modern" rig like the 480 to get so soundly trounced by a rig ~25 years younger...

I should add that I heard, a few months back, from the person who wrote a glowing review of the 480 for a major ham magazine. (It was a PM and he indicated he didn't want to be publicly quoted). He admitted to me that he may have been a little over-enthusiastic, and that if he had the chance, he'd rewrite his review to address some of these shortcomings.

Of the Big 3 from Japan, I always preferred Kenwood over ICOM and Yaesu, and that goes back to the days I worked at a dealership selling the equipment. But the 480? Disappointment. They could have done better, and should have.

It's not a bad rig, and if I was given one, I'd find a use for it (possibly for a future HF mobile, possibly for some remote control applications). But I wouldn't go out and buy one today, not until or unless the front end issues are resolved. IMHO.

W3WN
04-14-2011, 12:57 PM
If you are going to play with a tube rig...get hold of a TS-830S, FT-90x or (possibly) a 75-S3x/32S-3 setup.

The "B" line worked well out-of-the-box. The "C" line (especially some of the earlier production models) suffered from some very boneheaded engineering decisions and as such requires a bit of rework to make it as reliable and robust as the "B".

I can re-tube a 2x 6146 hybrid for about $70. Those -JS6Cs may easily fetch that for each tube within a few years.
I think I know where I might be able to find an 830, now that you mention it... :evil: The 520 just came along at the right time and the right price, of the 5x0/8x0 Kenwood hybrids, if I'd had my druthers, I'd have picked an 830. With the RVFO, of course.

Regarding the Drakes, well, that's why I mentioned the Sherwood filters. Mine had come (via the old FHO store in Monroeville, long gone) from another contester, so it had had those mods all done.

An S-Line. Man, what I wouldn't give for one of those in decent shape, but finding them can be tough. Hurts every time I hear from a vet about how so many S-Line's and KWM-2's/2A's (and others) got scrapped & destroyed by the military because, theoretically, they might contain something "classified" that couldn't be allowed in civilian hands. Easier to crush 'em that to actually find out, I guess. I used an S-Line in college up at K3CR, and it was amazing (and a tribute to it's engineering) that the equipment held up under the abuse of the other students over the years. If the opportunity ever crossed my path, I'd grab that equipment in an instant... but how often does that happen?... presuming I had the shekels.

Anyone else remember when "the man" to work on Collins gear was... well, someone now better known as a nut case would-be broadcaster who's in the process of losing his ticket?

The 6146 is my favorite tube. Did you know that RCA actually designed that tube (or claimed to, at least) specifically for use in Amateur transmitters, back in the day?

W1GUH
04-14-2011, 01:12 PM
I think I know where I might be able to find an 830, now that you mention it... :evil: The 520 just came along at the right time and the right price, of the 5x0/8x0 Kenwood hybrids, if I'd had my druthers, I'd have picked an 830. With the RVFO, of course.

Regarding the Drakes, well, that's why I mentioned the Sherwood filters. Mine had come (via the old FHO store in Monroeville, long gone) from another contester, so it had had those mods all done.

An S-Line. Man, what I wouldn't give for one of those in decent shape, but finding them can be tough. Hurts every time I hear from a vet about how so many S-Line's and KWM-2's/2A's (and others) got scrapped & destroyed by the military because, theoretically, they might contain something "classified" that couldn't be allowed in civilian hands. Easier to crush 'em that to actually find out, I guess. I used an S-Line in college up at K3CR, and it was amazing (and a tribute to it's engineering) that the equipment held up under the abuse of the other students over the years. If the opportunity ever crossed my path, I'd grab that equipment in an instant... but how often does that happen?... presuming I had the shekels.

Anyone else remember when "the man" to work on Collins gear was... well, someone now better known as a nut case would-be broadcaster who's in the process of losing his ticket?

The 6146 is my favorite tube. Did you know that RCA actually designed that tube (or claimed to, at least) specifically for use in Amateur transmitters, back in the day?

"Regarding the Drakes..."
One of the very endearing qualities in my TR-7 is that it's an all solid state radio that looks, sounds, and feels as if it's hollow state. One of the reasons I'm in love with it.

"An S-Line. Man, what I wouldn't give for one of those in decent shape, but finding them can be tough."

Amen, amen, amen. I used a 75A4 in college in the late 60's, but never played with S-Line til I got a sweet deal on a 75S-3A at a hamfest in Feb. '91. When I got it home and started playing with it, my first response was..."Holy SHIT!!!!!! This is better than an 'A4. Wow. Hope you come across an S-Line (or just an 'S3x') with your name on it. You will LOVE it.

N2NH
04-14-2011, 01:31 PM
"The only drawback is that here in NYC there is a LOT of RFI, both man-made and natural. "
And some areas nothing cuts the mustard. A SNR of -30 dB is simply unfixable.

When I lived in Harlem, there was a subway substation they built under the El. The noise level went from -28 db to +9 S Units in a week. Stayed that way for decades and complaints to the TA fell on deaf ears. For all I know, it's still pumping it out at that level.

W1GUH
04-14-2011, 01:37 PM
When I lived in Harlem, there was a subway substation they built under the El. The noise level went from -28 db to +9 S Units in a week. Stayed that way for decades and complaints to the TA fell on deaf ears. For all I know, it's still pumping it out at that level.

Had the same experience. In my old place I could usually hear one or two QSO's on 75 (never heard anything on 40-10), and sometimes it sounded like I could actually work someone. Then, they moved me next door and put up a concrete, steel and glass hi-rise where I used to be and that put the kybosh on ever hearing anything. Makes me wonder how any of the long-gone hams stores (Barry, Harrison, et al) could ever sell a radio?

NQ6U
04-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Had the same experience [...] Makes me wonder how any of the long-gone hams stores (Barry, Harrison, et al) could ever sell a radio?

Just two words: New Jersey.

W5GA
04-14-2011, 08:56 PM
An S-Line. Man, what I wouldn't give for one of those in decent shape, but finding them can be tough. Hurts every time I hear from a vet about how so many S-Line's and KWM-2's/2A's (and others) got scrapped & destroyed by the military because, theoretically, they might contain something "classified" that couldn't be allowed in civilian hands.
The only real issue with the KWM-2 is they don't do CW gracefully, which kills it for me. They were designed to be a phone rig.

W3WN
04-14-2011, 09:01 PM
The only real issue with the KWM-2 is they don't do CW gracefully, which kills it for me. They were designed to be a phone rig.I've heard that before. Keep in mind, of course, what the "M" stood for -- Mobile.

One day...

W7XF
04-15-2011, 08:30 PM
This is what I'm going to do next: I just got a load to Portland,
so the requisite stop at HRO is in order...I'm going to pick up the
Collins SSB filter for the 857 and try it. This might make the decision easier.

KJ3N
04-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm going to pick up the Collins SSB filter for the 857 and try it. This might make the decision easier.

Oh, it will. The filter isn't going to make as much of an impact as you hope it will. ;)

Stop screwing around. Buy the 7000. ;)

W7XF
04-15-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm not buying the radio tomorrow unless a tax refund arrives :pray:

WØTKX
04-15-2011, 09:02 PM
There are plenty of discussion online about the issues that some 7000's have had,
and if you are buying it new, there is a warranty. Get-er-done. :mrgreen:

w6tmi
04-16-2011, 01:35 AM

When reading up on the Eham.net reviews keep an open mind, lots of haters pushing the radio down, or people upping the mark, just for being a fan of aa brand of radio.
Try out a radio before you buy it is the best option, you are the one that will use it in your situation.

Good luck with your choice.

;)

Troot!

I've found pretty much with ANY reviews, you have to read the text. you can pretty much figure by what is written if the review is on the up & up.

Both professional reviewers and "comments" type. As you mention people just like to cheer "their" brand, and sometimes on the pro level the reviewers are skewed by the gifts.
"Sure review that rig, and yeah just maybe keep it when you're done".

X-Rated
04-16-2011, 01:51 AM
... But I wouldn't go out and buy one today, not until or unless the front end issues are resolved. IMHO.

The front end on my TS-480HX sucked on CW. Desense was really bad. Years ago, I had an Halliscratchers receiver with some desense. I could easily tune to the CW station causing the interference since it was so close. But with the 480, I could never find where the perp was located. It was really just that bad. I hated the thing. DX sucked because it would always get wiped out with desense.

W3MIV
04-16-2011, 06:36 AM
I bought a used 746Pro from a guy at NSA, and all I heard about were the horrors of the infamous "diode" problem. The radio was already a couple of years old when I bought it, so I shipped it to ICOM in WA and they went over the rig, upgrading it to all the most recent specs and assuring me that the diodes were of the newer type and should not be a problem. The rig was returned to me in less than three weeks, and there was no cost except what I paid to ship it out to WA. 746Pros were still in production at that time, and ICOM has (had?) a policy of upgrading for free any rig that was still in production. That service was a major reason, when I wanted to upgrade, that I opted to buy a new IC756Pro3; I still have the 746Pro as a backup.

I don't know if they still do upgrades for current-production rigs without charge, but it is worth a check. If I were in the market, I would give the 7000 a very close look.

W1GUH
04-16-2011, 05:23 PM
I bought a used 746Pro from a guy at NSA, and all I heard about were the horrors of the infamous "diode" problem. The radio was already a couple of years old when I bought it, so I shipped it to ICOM in WA and they went over the rig, upgrading it to all the most recent specs and assuring me that the diodes were of the newer type and should not be a problem. The rig was returned to me in less than three weeks, and there was no cost except what I paid to ship it out to WA. 746Pros were still in production at that time, and ICOM has (had?) a policy of upgrading for free any rig that was still in production. That service was a major reason, when I wanted to upgrade, that I opted to buy a new IC756Pro3; I still have the 746Pro as a backup.

I don't know if they still do upgrades for current-production rigs without charge, but it is worth a check. If I were in the market, I would give the 7000 a very close look.

Yea, but wouldn't a radio that came from the NSA, or someone who worked for them, have all sorts of spook mods so it operates stealthily and clandestinely? Not to mention "personnel monitoring software?"

Re: The Collins filter in the '857. I've got one and, while it makes a difference, it's extremely subtle. As for helping reception, the guy would have to be almost just even with the noise for there to be a difference. I got it 'cuz I'm crazy for Collins Mechanical Filters but it it weren't for that I might have sold it at a hamfest.

And today I finally got a chance to hear a rice box (A '7000) next to my TR-7. I think I've finally grok'ed phase noise. All rice boxes I've used have it, no analog VFO/PTO/LMO rig has it. IMHO, phase noise can be fatiguing to listen to. I'm just sayin'

KG4CGC
04-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Yaesu managed to null that out on the FT100. I'll use the receive on it slaved to the Corsair.

WØTKX
04-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Phase noise ssssssssssssssshhhhhucks.

KG4CGC
04-16-2011, 08:08 PM
But, they rushed it to production and made their customers beta test their radios after they paid the premium. NO DISCOUNTS! They learned that one from Microshaft.

W2NAP
04-16-2011, 08:11 PM
get a galaxy dx-88hl

sometimes i crack myself up

NQ6U
04-16-2011, 09:02 PM
get a galaxy dx-88hl

sometimes i crack myself up

Swan 350!

Me too.

W3WN
04-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Swan 350!

Me too.You want a Swan 3Drifty? That can be arranged.

W1GUH
04-16-2011, 09:56 PM
This X-Lock (http://www.cumbriadesigns.co.uk/x-lock.htm) would probably take good care of that.

I wondered about phase noise, and the answer came from this thread on amfone.net (http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=21679.10;wap2).

NQ6U
04-16-2011, 10:20 PM
You want a Swan 3Drifty? That can be arranged.

Not really, no. The only vintage radios I want are a pair of Drake Twins.

X-Rated
04-16-2011, 11:25 PM
You want a Swan 3Drifty? That can be arranged.

Watch it Bucko. Making threats to fellow members is frowned upon.

W3WN
04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
"Bucko"? Sorry, I am not a member of the Pirates. Even I have standards.

W1GUH
04-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Not really, no. The only vintage radios I want are a pair of Drake Twins.

Outstanding radios. But also add the '7 line...you can do much worse!

NQ6U
04-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Outstanding radios. But also add the '7 line...you can do much worse!

You know, I'm becoming sort of fond of those guys too. Maybe some day, but I want a pair of 4-series radios first.