PDA

View Full Version : What's with naming things for living people?

W1GUH
04-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Time was, you didn't get an airport or a bridge or a building named after you until after you died.

Now we've got...among others.

That airport whose name used to be Washington, changed to ...welll, you know whatl. Named while ronnie was still alive.

The George Bush Center for Intelligence. (https://www.cia.gov/about-cia/todays-cia/george-bush-center-for-intelligence/index.html)

The Ed Koch (ahem....Queensboro) bridge.

List probably goes on and on.

In the case of the Ed Koch bridge...that was probably his price for supporting mike and "w".

I can see it now, conversation between mike and ed at a cocktail party.

Mike: So, Ed, what'll it take to get you to wave pom-poms for w?

Ed: (Sarcastic cuz he really doesn't want to so he'll name too high a price)
"Oh, maybe if you named a bridge after me."

Mike: (Too dense to get the sarcasm But rich enough to make it happen). "You got it, Ed!" Now, go wave those pom-poms.

N8GAV
04-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Hey around here they named things after Robert C. Byrd for years, high schools , highways, airports, even across the Ohio River in Ohio where I live they named a bypass after him and John Glenn since they brought the "PORK" here to build it. His name lives on after his death.

w6tmi
04-12-2011, 11:47 PM
I found it extremely annoying when the Simi Freeway was renamed the Ronald Raygun freeway here in Cali..

I mean, "Simi freeway" tells you where it goes. (Simi Valley).

Now I get on it and forget where I'm going!

Ok, bad joke... but still..

NA4BH
04-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Names will always change on stuff. As said, name it right, and the pork will come.

KG4CGC
04-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Earle Morris Memorial Highway. AKA Hwy 153. Earle Morris is doing time for fraud. Investment scheme. Screwed over a bunch of locals.

suddenseer
04-13-2011, 04:59 AM
Here in Springfield we have the Michael Chakeres auditorium at the Wittenburg University campus. He coughed up a couple of million bucks for the building. The donation also bought a BS degree for his illiterate son as well. He did not even have to pretend to go to class. He was still alive when the large building was named.

w2amr
04-13-2011, 05:37 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/27/nyregion/a-howard-stern-rest-stop.html

W3MIV
04-13-2011, 06:02 AM
The state of MD name a Porta-Potty after me, but the monument was removed after the construction job was finished. Sic transit gloria mundi.

suddenseer
04-13-2011, 06:31 AM
The state of MD name a Porta-Potty after me, but the monument was removed after the construction job was finished. Sic transit gloria mundi.Thank you for the tomato juice cleansing of my nasal cavities.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

w3bny
04-13-2011, 07:56 AM
The Hershey family is alive and they named a highway...wait...lemme check mah notes

NQ6U
04-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Menachem Begin is no longer living but there were many, many signs all over the U.S. announcing "Begin Freeway" for years while he was still alive.

W3MIV
04-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Menachem Begin is no longer living but there were many, many signs all over the U.S. announcing "Begin Freeway" for years while he was still alive.

I never realized he was a Premier. I thought he was a construction worker. Here lots of roads have signs stating "Begin State Maintenance." I figured they were working him to death filling pot holes.

X-Rated
04-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I never realized he was a Premier. I thought he was a construction worker. Here lots of roads have signs stating "Begin State Maintenance." I figured they were working him to death filling pot holes.

Around Chicago, we have people who are Begin for food or money.