PDA

View Full Version : TS-430

W2NAP
04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Well I finally got a dipole up in the room here yesterday. just did a short QSO with someone 12 miles away S5 (not bad IMO since the dipole is inside) sadly when i key up my wifi card shuts totally off :(

and the 430 is going to have to be re-aligned. readout showed 28.305 but was at 28.304.85. also fan on the heatsink didnt come on in x-mit (got to read a bit more on that not sure if is should or only dose when warm)

good note. stock mic, wonderful audio got to love these old kenwoods

W5GA
04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
and the 430 is going to have to be re-aligned. readout showed 28.305 but was at 28.304.85.
Gotta love those digital readouts. How did we ever survive when our frequency readout was a series of nominally 1 Kc. hashmarks between 2 larger numbers?

NQ6U
04-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Gotta love those digital readouts. How did we ever survive when our frequency readout was a series of nominally 1 Kc. hashmarks between 2 larger numbers?

And rigs drifted so much over the course of a long rag chew that it was never much more than a rough estimate to begin with! ;)

WØTKX
04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Crystal markers worked, but digital is better.

W5GA
04-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Crystal markers worked, but digital is better.
I wonder about that when we obsess over .15 Khz.

X-Rated
04-11-2011, 01:07 PM
and the 430 is going to have to be re-aligned. readout showed 28.305 but was at 28.304.85. ...

5.3 ppm offset! Not too awfully bad I guess. TCXO timebases could be worse.

W2NAP
04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
I wonder about that when we obsess over .15 Khz.

is not bad per say. wouldnt mind getting it better tho.

X-Rated
04-11-2011, 01:51 PM
is not bad per say. wouldnt mind getting it better tho.

Is the display an actual frequency counter? What process did you do to find out that this unit was 5.3 ppm off frequency? What is the frequency reference?

W2NAP
04-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Is the display an actual frequency counter? What process did you do to find out that this unit was 5.3 ppm off frequency? What is the frequency reference?

guy up the road has a 718 thats where he said i was actually at. meh

anyway, i still have to check it out make sure everything is really up to par. i noticed a few off things about it. when AM mode is selected 1 of 2 things happen 1. display goes out no RX at all, or 2 display stays but all you will get is noise.

X-Rated
04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
guy up the road has a 718 thats where he said i was actually at. meh

anyway, i still have to check it out make sure everything is really up to par. i noticed a few off things about it. when AM mode is selected 1 of 2 things happen 1. display goes out no RX at all, or 2 display stays but all you will get is noise.

In previous lives, I have designed precision reference oscillators. I have kicked around the idea of designing my own hammy style oven oscillator for commercial use. The company i work for now has a new crystal design that would be kick ass for a fairly low power crystal oven oscillator. But I have no idea if the market would have that kind of demand to make it worth my while.

Whuddya think? Right now, you or your buddy are probably off by a total of 5.3 ppm more or less. I could probably get that down to better than 0.1 ppm from -20C to +55C for 10 years.

NQ6U
04-11-2011, 06:04 PM
In previous lives, I have designed precision reference oscillators. I have kicked around the idea of designing my own hammy style oven oscillator for commercial use. The company i work for now has a new crystal design that would be kick ass for a fairly low power crystal oven oscillator. But I have no idea if the market would have that kind of demand to make it worth my while.

Whuddya think? Right now, you or your buddy are probably off by a total of 5.3 ppm more or less. I could probably get that down to better than 0.1 ppm from -20C to +55C for 10 years.

Make one that's a drop-in replacement for Icom's CR-282 High Stability Oscillator (±0.5 PPM) and that costs no more than $150 and I'll buy it.

X-Rated
04-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Make one that's a drop-in replacement for Icom's CR-282 High Stability Oscillator (±0.5 PPM) and that costs no more than $150 and I'll buy it.

The real stick in the mud is the frequency. Everything is easy to get except for the crystal. I will need to buy a standard crystal or a boatload of crystals of an oddball frequency. Another issue is the PC board. I will need to find a cheap source who I can interface with and give me the proper layout.

When all that is done, I can beat $150 if the crystal and board are less than $120 a piece. The power consumption will be a little higher than before, At startup it will probably be a third of a watt and drop to about half that in 15 seconds at room temp. It will probably take 4-7 minutes to settle down to within 0.1 ppm from a cold start. The frequency starts out about 5 ppm high at turn-on and drops to nominal during warm-up.

Do you know your ICOM reference frequency?

kc7jty
04-11-2011, 06:38 PM
got a 440 & 450. the 450 starts out 15kc high then drifts to freq over 15/20 minute warm up. Don't use the TS440SAT enough to know it's manners.

NQ6U
04-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Do you know your ICOM reference frequency?

According to the service manual, it's 30MHz.

X-Rated
04-12-2011, 07:05 AM
According to the service manual, it's 30MHz.

Yaesu chooses some oddball crap 12.0428...blah blah. 30MHz sounds good. I wonder if there are freq boards on ebay for that then?

got a 440 & 450. the 450 starts out 15kc high then drifts to freq over 15/20 minute warm up. Don't use the TS440SAT enough to know it's manners.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/Warmup.jpg

The warm-up of a real oven oscillator with an AT cut crystal will look like this. A lot like you described. The timing can be different depending on how much power the oven can use at the start.

NQ6U
04-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Well, I just noticed that I can buy a brand-new CR-282 for $135.95 from Universal Radio. Economy of scale, I guess; it might be hard for you to match that price.

X-Rated
04-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Well, I just noticed that I can buy a brand-new CR-282 for $135.95 from Universal Radio. Economy of scale, I guess; it might be hard for you to match that price.

I was looking for a broken one for a few bucks. I can beat the shit out of one of those, but those are good.

N8YX
04-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Re: the TS-430S:

Did you check the opposite sideband when conducting your frequency-measuring experiment?

If both are off by the same amount, your reference oscillator has drifted. The '430's readout is not a true counter per se; rather, it's controlled by the divide-by-n logic of the synthesizer.

If on the other hand only one sideband is off then the problem lies with the BFO and its trimmer capacitors.

If both are off but not by the same amount, time to drag out the frequency counter and adjust the rig's oscillators. Set the reference one first, then the BFO trimmers. Get the service manual and study the procedure before you do.

N8YX
04-12-2011, 10:37 AM
15 KILOcycles is a little much! Maybe 150Hz?

I have a '440 sans TCXO which settles down after the same amount of time and IIRC its total drift is 60hz.

N8YX
04-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Make one which is a replacement for the CR-64 ((used in the R71A, '751A, etc) and I'll buy 6 right off the bat.

X-Rated
04-12-2011, 10:44 AM

I have a '440 sans TCXO which settles down after the same amount of time and IIRC its total drift is 60hz.

Good point. Even at 30 MHz, 15 kHz is 500 ppm. It's doubtful you can recover from that unless the thing is operating on a spurious of the crystal and hops down to the proper mode after a awhile, but that would be a real jump and not a smooth transition.

X-Rated
04-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Make one which is a replacement for the CR-64 ((used in the R71A, '751A, etc) and I'll buy 6 right off the bat.

30.72 MHz is not something I have. Buy ten thousand and we have a deal.

W1GUH
04-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Or, check it out with WWV for free!

But, really, what do you need better than .15 kc for? And anyway, who says that '718 was right? Maybe you were right and he was wrong?

X-Rated
04-12-2011, 10:58 AM

But, really, what do you need better than .15 kc for? And anyway, who says that '718 was right? Maybe you were right and he was wrong.

That's not the point. The point is knowing you are right. Knowing that your radio has the accuracy of WWV within the carefully screwed on cabinet.

To be honest, WWV isn't extremely accurate for most of us anyway. I am involved in frequency measurement nuts who have timebases with accuracies better than 0.001 ppm and they have problems measuring station's frequencies to better than 0.1 ppm due to the atmospherics pulling the frequency all over the place.

W1GUH
04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
AND...it'll make that rare DX always call YOU first?

W5GA
04-12-2011, 11:25 AM
I think this is a case of someones OCD lighting up.

W7XF
04-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Hmmm... and I thought my Asperger's was bad....:chin:

kc7jty
04-12-2011, 09:39 PM

yes, I thought about this but didn't take the time to bother correcting it. I usually don't make this mistake. Don't get old, it's all downhill.

W2NAP
04-15-2011, 03:18 PM

But, really, what do you need better than .15 kc for? And anyway, who says that '718 was right? Maybe you were right and he was wrong?

well may be true. but also checked against a ft-897. .14 off.

W2NAP
04-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Re: the TS-430S:

Did you check the opposite sideband when conducting your frequency-measuring experiment?

If both are off by the same amount, your reference oscillator has drifted. The '430's readout is not a true counter per se; rather, it's controlled by the divide-by-n logic of the synthesizer.

If on the other hand only one sideband is off then the problem lies with the BFO and its trimmer capacitors.

If both are off but not by the same amount, time to drag out the frequency counter and adjust the rig's oscillators. Set the reference one first, then the BFO trimmers. Get the service manual and study the procedure before you do.

planning the checkout got someone up the road with the equipment and space to do it all.

Also got my 10m dipole outside. flat top. however sadly it still trashes the PC. if i do anything on 10 i got to turn the pc off

N7YA
04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
As far as the fan goes, i call it the high SWR fan, or the "oh shit" fan...mine does that too when im sending a particularly long time.

It doesnt come on too often as im one of those '5NNTU' jerks. ;)

W2NAP
04-15-2011, 06:08 PM
hearing some guys on 14.208.

W3MPS
04-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Glad to see someone enjoying their '80s vintage Kenwood. Hopefully I'll actually get around to upgrading my license this summer and blow the dust off of the TS440S/AT I've had sitting in the corner for the past two semesters.

Oh, and the fan only comes on when the internal temperature of the radio reaches a certain point, you can adjust the turn on point by adding in a resistor or two to make it come on earlier. That is if you would prefer to have your heat sink not be hot enough to warm up your lunch on.

N8YX
04-17-2011, 06:27 AM

I have a '440 sans TCXO which settles down after the same amount of time and IIRC its total drift is 60hz.yes, I thought about this but didn't take the time to bother correcting it. I usually don't make this mistake. Don't get old, it's all downhill.
Reason I stated what I did is it's wholly possible to get an exaggerated amount of drift with a synthesizer whose VCO is just "teetering" between stable and unstable...and in the '440's case it's usually due to that (in)famous potting compound that Kenwood used on VCO5.

Glad to hear all is well. I fixed two of those over the last few years. Neither time was fun.

N8YX
04-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Glad to see someone enjoying their '80s vintage Kenwood. Hopefully I'll actually get around to upgrading my license this summer and blow the dust off of the TS440S/AT I've had sitting in the corner for the past two semesters.
1x '440, 2x R-5000 and 2x TS-940S see weekly - if not daily - use here. ;)

WV6Z
04-17-2011, 09:14 AM
well may be true. but also checked against a ft-897. .14 off.

Just curious..... is the TS-430 always showing up at .14 off on every band? Seems like this would be easy enough to correct if that's the case. Just wonderin' as I am now just about completely bottomed out in my interest in amateur radio for the moment, I am in the possession of nothing more than a TS-430 with a MC-60. No, I am NOT ragging on it, far from it. Mine would appear to have spent the last 30 years or so of it's life on board an ocean going vessel with extremely heavy and abusive use and in the sunshine state to boot. In fact, I know all of the previous statement to be true and I guess I'm just a little shocked that other than the memory battery being kaput, everything is 100% functional. FWIW, mine has no extra filters and no FM. Keep me posted as to your success with alignment, if you decide to become inclined to do so and I will let you know how mine continues to function along. I'm afraid this one will be one of those keepers that KF4UIP will have to dispose of after my demise as appearance wise, it is a horrible mess except for the faceplate (for the most part), so mine is nestled into a close fit shelf so that it doesn't bring forth exclamations of OMG and WTF when observed in the shack by 'outsiders'. ;)

I'm also afraid that if I don't keep reminding her, she will likely just shit can it when I snuff it rather than giving it to someone who could use it as a dandy portable ops / Field Day drag around rig.

DAMN, forgot to mention that everything is 100% except for the fan, which sounded like the wrath of bog..... I replaced it with a 3" muffin fan which does a FB job...... the original equipment one is in the desk drawer resting in peace now (not pieces, but peace).

W2NAP
04-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Just curious..... is the TS-430 always showing up at .14 off on every band? Seems like this would be easy enough to correct if that's the case. Just wonderin' as I am now just about completely bottomed out in my interest in amateur radio for the moment, I am in the possession of nothing more than a TS-430 with a MC-60. No, I am NOT ragging on it, far from it. Mine would appear to have spent the last 30 years or so of it's life on board an ocean going vessel with extremely heavy and abusive use and in the sunshine state to boot. In fact, I know all of the previous statement to be true and I guess I'm just a little shocked that other than the memory battery being kaput, everything is 100% functional. FWIW, mine has no extra filters and no FM. Keep me posted as to your success with alignment, if you decide to become inclined to do so and I will let you know how mine continues to function along. I'm afraid this one will be one of those keepers that KF4UIP will have to dispose of after my demise as appearance wise, it is a horrible mess except for the faceplate (for the most part), so mine is nestled into a close fit shelf so that it doesn't bring forth exclamations of OMG and WTF when observed in the shack by 'outsiders'. ;)

I'm also afraid that if I don't keep reminding her, she will likely just shit can it when I snuff it rather than giving it to someone who could use it as a dandy portable ops / Field Day drag around rig.

DAMN, forgot to mention that everything is 100% except for the fan, which sounded like the wrath of bog..... I replaced it with a 3" muffin fan which does a FB job...... the original equipment one is in the desk drawer resting in peace now (not pieces, but peace).

only band atm i can legally check is 10, i will get around to the realignment sometime in the next couple weeks. (got other stuff to deal with 1st)

on a amusing note. me an a guy local was rag chewing couple hours ago on 28.315 and we made some illegal chickenbander mad

W2NAP
04-17-2011, 07:55 PM

Oh, and the fan only comes on when the internal temperature of the radio reaches a certain point, you can adjust the turn on point by adding in a resistor or two to make it come on earlier. That is if you would prefer to have your heat sink not be hot enough to warm up your lunch on.

ill say one big thing. i dont think you can beat the audio quality of the vintage 80's early/mid 90s kenwood rigs

N7YA
04-18-2011, 01:39 AM
on a amusing note. me an a guy local was rag chewing couple hours ago on 28.315 and we made some illegal chickenbander mad

:clap::cheers:

W3WN
04-18-2011, 09:29 AM
ill say one big thing. i dont think you can beat the audio quality of the vintage 80's early/mid 90s kenwood rigsHmmm. Well, there's always a Hallicrafters HT-37 & SX-111, but finding those on the air these days is becoming tougher.

W3WN
04-18-2011, 09:30 AM
< snip > on a amusing note. me an a guy local was rag chewing couple hours ago on 28.315 and we made some illegal chickenbander mad:-D Tell him, if you run into him again, to report you to the FCC. :twisted:

W2NAP
04-18-2011, 01:22 PM
:-D Tell him, if you run into him again, to report you to the FCC. :twisted:

lol, well the dick had one of them illegal radios with echo and rogerbeeps and all. anyway we was chatting away and he shows up. 'this is my fucking channel beep" so my reply to my friend was "got the recorder handy? might have to send a tape to the fcc" dude lost it lanched a slew of f-bombs ect ect" dude went into total tard rage mode. and what made him even madder. me and the friend live 3/4mile away we just continued talking like nothing was going on

W3WN
04-18-2011, 03:09 PM
lol, well the dick had one of them illegal radios with echo and rogerbeeps and all. anyway we was chatting away and he shows up. 'this is my fucking channel beep" so my reply to my friend was "got the recorder handy? might have to send a tape to the fcc" dude lost it lanched a slew of f-bombs ect ect" dude went into total tard rage mode. and what made him even madder. me and the friend live 3/4mile away we just continued talking like nothing was going onHa! Priceless! Perfect retort!

W2NAP
04-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Ha! Priceless! Perfect retort!

closest thing i can compare to the chickenbanders rage was the n9ogl rage tape i got on youtube

W3MIV
04-18-2011, 03:52 PM
The 430 was infamous as a chickenband special back in the day. Lots of them were modified to tx in the CB spectrum. It was a "simple matter of snipping a single black wire." I have always been a bit leery of them on the used market because of that. Always wondered what "other mods" somebody might have made whenever I would see one on a tailgate at a hamfest. A good friend, now SK, had two of them and loved them for their audio. Bought both at the old ham shop in New Castle, DE.

I owned a Yaesu FT-101EE that I sold for a premium because that rig had an 11-meter position on the band switch, and it would transmit on that band; I sold it to another ham, and I have no idea of whether or not he used it on 11m. I sold it because I wanted a newer rig with WARC bands and was limited as to what I could buy. Now, of course, I wish I had not sold it. It was a very nice radio with surprisingly little drift after it heated up and settled down. Not much for a fast QSY, though.

Now I like digital modes and love the ability of my IC to move around with no fuss and no muss. I can switch from 80m to 30m at the push of a button and the outboard autotuner tunes flat at the first key.

W3WN
04-18-2011, 04:02 PM
The 430 was infamous as a chickenband special back in the day. Lots of them were modified to tx in the CB spectrum. It was a "simple matter of snipping a single black wire." I have always been a bit leery of them on the used market because of that. Always wondered what "other mods" somebody might have made whenever I would see one on a tailgate at a hamfest. A good friend, now SK, had two of them and loved them for their audio. Bought both at the old ham shop in New Castle, DE.

I owned a Yaesu FT-101EE that I sold for a premium because that rig had an 11-meter position on the band switch, and it would transmit on that band; I sold it to another ham, and I have no idea of whether or not he used it on 11m. I sold it because I wanted a newer rig with WARC bands and was limited as to what I could buy. Now, of course, I wish I had not sold it. It was a very nice radio with surprisingly little drift after it heated up and settled down. Not much for a fast QSY, though.

Now I like digital modes and love the ability of my IC to move around with no fuss and no muss. I can switch from 80m to 30m at the push of a button and the outboard autotuner tunes flat at the first key.IIRC, the stock 430 came with transmit disabled on at least one of the WARC bands (don't recall now if it was 17 or 12 meters), and snipping that infamous black wire was neccesary to enable transmit on there. It was also neccesary to implement MARS operation.

It's been a long time since I owned (let alone sold) one, for some reason my memory is nagging that there was a touch more involved than snipping a wire... but not much more (snipping a resistor lead comes to mind).

So, I'd be very surprised if you saw a 430 on the used market today that had NOT had that mod done to it.

W3MIV
04-18-2011, 04:06 PM
...I'd be very surprised if you saw a 430 on the used market today that had NOT had that mod done to it.

As I say, though, it was not that mod, but whatever else might have been done in the interest of not being "a goldurned mud-duck" by, shall we say, less than electronically talented fingers. As it was, it inaugurated one of Kenwood's best transceiver lines.

W5GA
04-18-2011, 04:24 PM
I owned a Yaesu FT-101EE that I sold for a premium because that rig had an 11-meter position on the band switch, and it would transmit on that band;
Drake twins will also, all it takes is putting the right rocks in them.

N8YX
04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Drake twins will also, all it takes is putting the right rocks in them.
Ditto Collins...

X-Rated
04-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Ditto Collins...

My Hallicrafters HQ-215 receiver will tune anywhere between 3.4 to 30 MHz with the right rocks. There are mods out there for getting it onto 160 as well.

N8YX
04-18-2011, 04:47 PM
My Hallicrafters HQ-215 receiver will tune anywhere between 3.4 to 30 MHz with the right rocks. There are mods out there for getting it onto 160 as well.
Too bad Halli didn't make a matching TX for that rig - a nearby ham friend owns two. Neat piece of gear.

X-Rated
04-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Too bad Halli didn't make a matching TX for that rig - a nearby ham friend owns two. Neat piece of gear.

I think it is the finest piece of gear I have ever owned. I would sell anything including my JV Ranger. But not my 215.

W3WN
04-19-2011, 08:01 AM
My Hallicrafters HQ-215 receiver will tune anywhere between 3.4 to 30 MHz with the right rocks. There are mods out there for getting it onto 160 as well.Ah, the HQ line was usually Hammarlunds, not Hallicrafters.

W3WN
04-19-2011, 08:07 AM
As I say, though, it was not that mod, but whatever else might have been done in the interest of not being "a goldurned mud-duck" by, shall we say, less than electronically talented fingers. As it was, it inaugurated one of Kenwood's best transceiver lines.When I worked at Westech, not a day went by where we didn't have a non-amateur want to buy a TS-430... and was willing to pay list price, no questions asked. Further, if we would apply the "magic mod" they'd pay dearly for that as well.

Store policy at the time was that we did not sell amateur transceivers to non-amateurs, outside of specific limited circumstances (sell to spouse for a present, or to a parent/grandparent/guardian to a young ham, and so forth). Period. So, I turned them down, flat. Politely, but firmly. Got threatened with a lawsuit for "discrimination" but no one ever actually filed papers.

I heard through the grapevine, after I left for other employment, that the store policy had changed in it's last few months. Desperation didn't save the place, though.

Outside of the all-band transmit mod, there was no reason to take a golden screwdriver to a 430. Really, about the only things you needed to do with it were add the optional FM board, if desired, and add the narrow SSB & narrow CW filters, highly recommended. It was a good rig, I wouldn't mind having one again one day... and the only reason I had to sell mine, well, it's complicated, but it involves a contest multi-op and a linear that did NOT have a tuned input...

W3MIV
04-19-2011, 08:20 AM
When I worked at Westech, not a day went by where we didn't have a non-amateur want to buy a TS-430... and was willing to pay list price, no questions asked. Further, if we would apply the "magic mod" they'd pay dearly for that as well.

Store policy at the time was that we did not sell amateur transceivers to non-amateurs, outside of specific limited circumstances (sell to spouse for a present, or to a parent/grandparent/guardian to a young ham, and so forth). Period. So, I turned them down, flat. Politely, but firmly. Got threatened with a lawsuit for "discrimination" but no one ever actually filed papers.

I heard through the grapevine, after I left for other employment, that the store policy had changed in it's last few months. Desperation didn't save the place, though.

Outside of the all-band transmit mod, there was no reason to take a golden screwdriver to a 430. Really, about the only things you needed to do with it were add the optional FM board, if desired, and add the narrow SSB & narrow CW filters, highly recommended. It was a good rig, I wouldn't mind having one again one day... and the only reason I had to sell mine, well, it's complicated, but it involves a contest multi-op and a linear that did NOT have a tuned input...

Oh, I agree. But... I can still see a bulbous butt straining against a pair of bib-overalls, the wearer bent over, lips dripping spittle as he chewed his tongue, ashes showering from a cigarette stuck to his lower lip, screwdriver in hand, muttering: "Billy Bob down ta th' truck stop tolt me whatchu turn is this here thang and it'll gitcha anuther fitty watts out..."

X-Rated
04-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Ah, the HQ line was usually Hammarlunds, not Hallicrafters.

Yes. That is correct. It is a Hammarlund. My first receiver was a Hallicrafters SX-111 matched up with the JV Ranger.

W3WN
04-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Yes. That is correct. It is a Hammarlund. My first receiver was a Hallicrafters SX-111 matched up with the JV Ranger.No problem. Both lines were good & affordable receivers for their day.

I miss my SX-111. I had a "complete" vintage Hallicfafters setup for quite awhile... HT-37 transmitter (you haven't heard sideband until you've heard one of these on the air, as commercial phasing SSB rigs are rare) with "TO" keyer, SX-111 receiver, HT-41 linear modified for 572B's, and a near-mint S-108 receiver on the side. All had to be sold off almost a decade ago when I was out of work; I doubt I'll ever see that model linear again, and I don't know if I have the heart to reassemble the rest of it.

N8YX
04-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Outside of the all-band transmit mod, there was no reason to take a golden screwdriver to a 430.
Well...let's see:

1) 10hz frequency readout;
2) AmTOR T/R switchover timing;
3) Noise blanker timing constant (for longer-duration noise pulses);
4) TX AGC mod (for improved processor operation);
5) Correction of a power-output fault caused by improperly secured PA driver transistors;
6) VCO out-of-lock condition (AM/FM modes affected) - two different procedures depending on thermal parameters at time of failure;
7) Correction of a condition (similar to the '440) in which the factory adjustments result in horrible IMD during SB operation when ALC is indicated on the meter.

For those wanting more power...I strongly suggest the use of an external PA.

W2NAP
04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Well...let's see:

5) Correction of a power-output fault caused by improperly secured PA driver transistors;
6) VCO out-of-lock condition (AM/FM modes affected) - two different procedures depending on thermal parameters at time of failure;
7) Correction of a condition (similar to the '440) in which the factory adjustments result in horrible IMD during SB operation when ALC is indicated on the meter.

For those wanting more power...I strongly suggest the use of an external PA.

ill have to do the 10hz mod. will do that when i get the alignment check done.

thing has no filters installed so ill have to pick up the cw-n ssb and AM filter (discovered in AM mode the filter is 2.4khz stock, which i think is why AM sounds muddy as hell 6khz would help the sound.) ironically at 16MHZ am dies out all together also under 2mhz AM is 50/50 sometimes it drops out sometimes not. when AM dies the display drops out no rx yet tx the display dose come on and it dose tx in am mode. (checked swr on 10 sitting at a 1.1 at 28.4)

W3WN
04-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Well...let's see:

For those wanting more power...I strongly suggest the use of an external PA.Oops. Forgot about the frequency readout mod! Thanks for the reminder.

As for the rest... I should not have implied that there weren't adjustments or mods for the rig, and my apologies for said implication. What I was trying to say was that the Golden Screwdriver type mods -- as in "hey Bubba, let's crank up the output!" as Alb indicated -- were not neccesary, and were if anything detrimental to the rig in the extreme.

X-Rated
04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
...- were not neccesary, and were if anything detrimental to the rig in the extreme.

Yup. I would never attempt that.