PDA

View Full Version : They're never going to fix Windows, are they?

KJ3N
04-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Intel dual-core 3.16Ghz with 3GB RAM, SATA HD, and SATA DVD-RW with LightScribe.

Amazing how unresponsive the entire system is while burning a label. This has been a problem for the longest time. Any major disk activity slows the system to a fscking crawl. It's been this way since W95.

WTF? I thought they would have solved this by now. Maybe I'll try the same thing under W7 and see what happens.

Ya gotta be fscking kidding me..... :roll: :roll:

NQ6U
04-10-2011, 07:35 PM
There is a reason why a lot of us have chosen alternate operating systems...

W4GPL
04-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Strange, my LightScribe works like a charm.

http://infinitymagic.com/images/4873.jpg

;)

KJ3N
04-10-2011, 08:58 PM
There is a reason why a lot of us have chosen alternate operating systems...

I use them from time to time. OS/2 never had this issue. I haven't used Linux in a while, but I suspect it wouldn't be a problem there, either.

I remember when just formatting a floppy disk would bog down a Windoze system. :roll:

It would appear things haven't improved a whole lot.

WØTKX
04-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Lightscribe is slow in and of itself because of the design. It's not Windows so much as the low power of the laser.

There is a newer media that's a little faster. Sharpies come in colors, man. :lol:

KJ3N
04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Lightscribe is slow in and of itself because of the design. It's not Windows so much as the low power of the laser.

Which I don't really understand. Shouldn't the system just off-load most of the burning to the device, instead of bogging down the entire IO subsystem to the point where the system just goes nearly unresponsive?

There is a newer media that's a little faster. Sharpies come in colors, man. :lol:

Given this is my first foray into LightScribe, I may go back to that method. Geez.... :roll:

WØTKX
04-10-2011, 11:18 PM
I have two PC's with Lightscribe. Takes a good thirty minutes to do something nice.
It will go faster if you make the labels concentric and follow the shape of the disk.

FWIW, HP's software is pretty bloaty in the regular printer world too.

I just don't use it, unless I'm making a gift CD for somebody.

KG4CGC
04-10-2011, 11:31 PM
It's pretty simple: they don't want you making money using their equipment/software/systems unless you spring for the $20K set up. It could be more now. $20K is a 2006 price tag. 2006 was my last inquiry into better Lightscribe™ systems so at this point I may have no idea of what I'm talking about.

I have spent a good bit of time with it since then and I've learned a few tricks that will make the images come out deeper and clearer for label burning but on average it still takes about 20 minutes each.

KJ3N
04-11-2011, 07:10 AM
I have spent a good bit of time with it since then and I've learned a few tricks that will make the images come out deeper and clearer for label burning but on average it still takes about 20 minutes each.

The time is takes to do a label is one thing. That the machine had large chunks of time where it was almost literally unresponsive is another. I could do almost nothing while the label was being written.

WØTKX
04-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Lightscribe is HP. Ask them?

KC2UGV
04-11-2011, 08:13 AM
I print labels, and stick those on...

W4GPL
04-11-2011, 08:57 AM
I print labels, and stick those on...+1

When LightScribe first hit the market, I worked in a PC repair shop and all we'd hear is how much it sucked.. locked up PCs, was very slow, etc. As a result, I've never personally gone that route because it left such a sour taste in my mouth.

I suspect the lag you're experiencing is a direct result of using a storage mechanism to do something it wasn't designed to do. Though I'm always willing to take a pot shot at Windows, I'd bet it's not much better in Linux.

KG4CGC
04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
The time is takes to do a label is one thing. That the machine had large chunks of time where it was almost literally unresponsive is another. I could do almost nothing while the label was being written.
I watch TV or make a sandwich when the label is printing. Yep, nothing else is getting done on the machine while it burns a label.

WØTKX
04-11-2011, 07:02 PM
A lot of it is because the low power laser for writing data is pressed into service to print labels.

Stick on labels suck, they tend to unbalance the disk. Makes a cool humming noise though.

K7SGJ
04-11-2011, 07:40 PM
I print labels, and stick those on...

I used to do that, too. But with the higher speed drives I have managed to scatter a couple of disks that became very unbalanced. Kinda like me.

K7SGJ
04-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Never mind.

W1GUH
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
A lot of it is because the low power laser for writing data is pressed into service to print labels.

Stick on labels suck, they tend to unbalance the disk. Makes a cool humming noise though.

Yea...in the late 90's timeframe I read a few times that stick-on lables weren't really recommended. Sometimes they even prevented a CD player from reading the disk at all.

Only real solution (but impractical) is to get a color laser printer to print a CD, or set up a screening process. Lightscribe makes sexy-looking (if monochromatic) labels, but takes long time.

n2ize
04-12-2011, 10:16 PM
I use the magic marker method,

KG4CGC
04-12-2011, 11:20 PM
I use the magic marker method,
Might I also suggest stencil patterns?

W4RLR
04-13-2011, 03:03 AM
Microsoft Windows - providing gainful employment for IT professionals for over 30 years!

WV6Z
04-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Yeah, Sharpies FTW...... I priced a pack of LightScribe-able discs verses those that are not + the cost of a Sharpie (or a handful). I think I will stick with my Sharpies thank you very much in tandem with superior media at a better price and leave the LightScribe fans to it. Not being the sharpest tool in the shed, I have always been afraid of bits and pieces burned off of the DVD creating a potential for early drive failure too.

KG4CGC
04-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Yeah, Sharpies FTW...... I priced a pack of LightScribe-able discs verses those that are not + the cost of a Sharpie (or a handful). I think I will stick with my Sharpies thank you very much in tandem with superior media at a better price and leave the LightScribe fans to it. Not being the sharpest tool in the shed, I have always been afraid of bits and pieces burned off of the DVD creating a potential for early drive failure too.That's What SHE Said!

WB0LSR
04-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Microsoft Windows - providing gainful employment for IT professionals for over 30 years!

I'm an IT pro.. have been for some time.. judging by the amount of time I spend with our Unix and Linux machines I'd have to revise your statement to:

"Computers - Providing gainful employment for IT professionals for over 30 years.."

N8YX
04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm an IT pro.. have been for some time.. judging by the amount of time I spend with our Unix and Linux machines I'd have to revise your statement to:

"Computers - Providing gainful employment for IT professionals for over 30 years.."
One could easily substitute "IT Program Manager" for 'computer' and achieve the same (or worse) results...

WB0LSR
04-19-2011, 11:52 AM
LOL true.. but believe me when I tell you that this place would fall apart without me.. no joke!

KC2UGV
04-19-2011, 11:54 AM

I put a *Nix box up, and come back annually to install updates.

I put in a Winderz box, I come back weekly to fix it.

N8YX
04-19-2011, 11:56 AM

I put a system in the cloud, it rains continually.

WB0LSR
04-19-2011, 12:08 PM

True enough when you're talking about desktops, but our Windows Server systems and the Unix/Linux systems require identical amounts of maintenance.

Speaking for myself, but after YEARS of being a Windows user (since 1990) I have not formed the same, ever-popular "Windows sucks monkey balls" opinion. Just because it's a popular tune don't mean I have to sing it.

KC2UGV
04-19-2011, 12:12 PM
True enough when you're talking about desktops, but our Windows Server systems and the Unix/Linux systems require identical amounts of maintenance.

Never deployed a Windows web server or mail server, huh?

Speaking for myself, but after YEARS of being a Windows user (since 1990) I have not formed the same, ever-popular "Windows sucks monkey balls" opinion. Just because it's a popular tune don't mean I have to sing it.

No, you don't. However, doesn't make it any less true. :wink:

WB0LSR
04-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Never deployed a Windows web server or mail server, huh?

No, you don't. However, doesn't make it any less true. :wink:

Sure, never had any real issue tho..

Also, if I've never had any real maddening issues with Windows, why would I have formed an opinion that it's crap? It has not given me any real grief in over 20 years of use on every possible level except software development. All I can speak for is my personal experience, which currently includes being a network administrator overseeing 6000+ systems.

Maybe it's a patience issue (or lack thereof) with others.. IDK.

I'm a huge Linux/Unix fan, don't get me wrong, but really I have not had any experiences with Windows that I couldn't find a fix for or deal with in some way.

KG4CGC
04-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the Island, Pat!

WB0LSR
04-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Thank you sir!! I'm enjoying the banter so far!

KC2UGV
04-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Thank you sir!! I'm enjoying the banter so far!

We banter a bit :) Welcome from myself as well!

KG4CGC
04-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Enjoy a drink, on Island Time!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/umbrella-drink.jpg

It's always 5 o'clock on our shores :)

WØTKX
04-19-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm also OK with Microsquish. It used to suck a lot more, but I was able to keep an older Exchange Server
on Window NT running just fine for a number of years for a major ski area.

Of course I had a lot of redundancy with striped drives and a frequent Ghost image.

But I do that with any critical system, running any OS.

FWIW, Server 8 and Winders 7 is a big improvement, AFAIC.

W3WN
04-19-2011, 02:59 PM
I miss Netware.

KC2UGV
04-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I miss TR-DOS...

WØTKX
04-19-2011, 03:18 PM
I miss Netware.

IPX/SPX works great with a router. So does Appletalk. :shifty:

NQ6U
04-19-2011, 03:44 PM
I miss CP/M.

ad4mg
04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
No Basic-A, Basic-B fans?

KJ3N
04-19-2011, 04:24 PM
I miss Netware.

:agree:

KC2UGV
04-20-2011, 08:11 AM
No Basic-A, Basic-B fans?

Color Basic Level 2 w/Microware Patches + OS/9

W3WN
04-20-2011, 09:44 AM
I miss Netware.

IPX/SPX works great with a router. So does Appletalk. :shifty:When Chester Engineers (which had been a Netware shop) got bought out by USFilter (an NT Server shop... this before Win 2000 & XP, let alone ME, obviously), I was informed by the VP of IT at USF's Warrendale PA office that it was impossible to route IPX/SPX over the Internet. Could. Not. Be. Done. End discussion.

Sure.

At the time, I was remotely contolling Netware servers in Gaithersburg MD, Ann Arbor MI & State College PA via our Cable & Wireless connection. I guess I didn't know that it Could Not Be Done.

He never figured out that we had a Solaris box tied in as well, let alone the OS/2 box that acted as our mail system's "routing post office." Not that I could argue with him, after all, the discussion had ended.

W3WN
04-20-2011, 09:46 AM
I miss CP/M.You can still find DR-DOS around, if you search. Or if you prefer it's original name, CP/M-86.

Chris
05-14-2011, 08:32 PM
If all you do is office work, setting the timeslices to background should get the sys to be more responsive when disk and other background apps are hogging the bus.