PDA

View Full Version : Sad & Stunning News

W3WN
04-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Well, we got a shock at the ball game today, and please, no jokes about the Pirates or their record...

The gentleman who was the usher for our section for most of the last 10 years was killed (http://www.wtae.com/news/27489553/detail.html) late Friday night.

Mike was only a few years older than I am. He's been an usher at PNC Park or at 3 Rivers Stadium for 20 years.

Like many of the ushers and stadium worker grunts, he parked about a mile or so away & hoofed it. (Which had to be tough on him, as he had knee replacement surgery last year). From the news reports, it sounds like some low life saw an opportunity, jumped Mike, and not only killed him but stole his wallet and his car as well.

We found out right before the start of the game, when there was a brief tribute on the scoreboard and a moment of silence in his memory.

About 8:00 or so, a news crew from WTAE TV came around, looking for people who knew Mike. I chatted with the reporter and told her a few things I knew, but I declined to go on camera. Jessie did go on camera, and although we got home too late for the late news, sounds like they used her comments on the updated report. She told me that she always wanted to be on the news -- but not like this. If & when they post the story from the late newscast, I'll update the link.

Needless to say, he was a good friend and we're going to miss him a lot.

Why is it always the good guys who things like this happen to?

X-Rated
04-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Bummer. Sorry,

PA5COR
04-10-2011, 03:42 AM
Why does an idiot take a machine pistol goes into a mall and shoots 7 people dead under which children and wounding lots of other people like happened here yesterday? ( Alphen aan de Rijn)

We might never know.
Sorry to see what happened to Mike, but even sometimes i have no answers.
R.I.P. Mike, hope they get the rat who did that...

N2CHX
04-10-2011, 05:44 AM
So sorry hon.

KC2UGV
04-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Wow, this weekend has been a bummer one, all around it seems :( Sorry to hear it man...

X-Rated
04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
I was going to ask you if your usher could move here to vote in the next election, but I decided that would be in bad taste.

K7SGJ
04-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope they find the scumbags, cut their balls off, skin them, and leave them for the ants.

W3WN
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
"Breaking News" last night at 11 indicated that the police had recovered Mike's car. No further details.

What's somewhat unnerving, and a little sad... I know exactly where he parked. It's right around the corner (almost literally) from CCAC-Allegheny. I used to work at that community college, and I also used to park right about where Mike did. Quite sad that the neighborhood has become more dangerous.

X-Rated
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope they find the scumbags, cut their balls off, skin them, and leave them for the ants.

I was going to be mean and hope that they would be cruel to them, but you may be right. They should keep things civil.

N8YX
04-11-2011, 11:13 AM
There are plenty of bridges on the Allegheny from which the accused convicted could take a little dive...

W3WN
04-11-2011, 11:33 AM
There are plenty of bridges on the Allegheny from which the accused convicted could take a little dive...They're not high enough. Well, unless the cops forget to take the handcuffs and anklecuffs off first.

N8YX
04-11-2011, 11:39 AM
They're not high enough. Well, unless the cops forget to take the handcuffs and anklecuffs off first.
The Freeport bridge is (was for a couple of them), from what 'DSG has told me.

KC2UGV
04-11-2011, 11:40 AM
They're not high enough. Well, unless the cops forget to take the handcuffs and anklecuffs off first.

Yeah, but then they'd have to buy new ones... Isn't there a rocky area to drop the perp onto?

W3WN
04-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Yeah, but then they'd have to buy new ones... Isn't there a rocky area to drop the perp onto?He might survive. And either way, somebody would have to go clean up the mess before the environmental whackos kvetched.

W2NAP
04-11-2011, 12:07 PM
take the perp out in the middle of nowhere WV. never to be seen again

KK4AMI
04-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend. I thought Picksburgh was getting to be a quite town now. Don't mess up the rivers. They are just gettin' the Allegheny river cleaned up. Its great for fishing now especially North of Freeport. Catch the guy that did it and lock him in the Fort Pitt Tunnel. Let him dodge trucks or get CO poisoning!

W5RB
04-11-2011, 02:49 PM

We had one here , not long ago , in a rural part of the county ,where a perp was in the deputy's car , cuffed , and got away while the cop was answering a radio . It was pretty embarrassing , as there were like 5 cops on scene . The escapee was reported by witnesses walking along the road with cuffs hanging from ONE wrist. He gave 'em the slip , only to be found 3 days later , floating in a reservoir 3 miles away , with both hands cuffed .

X-Rated
04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
We had one here , not long ago , in a rural part of the county ,where a perp was in the deputy's car , cuffed , and got away while the cop was answering a radio . It was pretty embarrassing , as there were like 5 cops on scene . The escapee was reported by witnesses walking along the road with cuffs hanging from ONE wrist. He gave 'em the slip , only to be found 3 days later , floating in a reservoir 3 miles away , with both hands cuffed .

I wonder why he cuffed his other hand and jumped into the lake? Must've been a massive guilt complex, it seems to me.

W5RB
04-11-2011, 04:53 PM
I wonder why he cuffed his other hand and jumped into the lake? Must've been a massive guilt complex, it seems to me.

Why ask why ? Result is the same , Coroner's jury only has ONE verdict . Besides , he was in the process of stealing a motorcycle when apprehended . Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable .

N2NH
04-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Sorry to hear of this.

Hope they dress the creeps in I (heart) NY shirts and let them walk through banjo country.

W3WN
04-22-2011, 10:38 AM
There's been little progress on Mike's death.

The police have little to go on. Although the car was recovered, they've said next to nothing about what (if anything) was found in it, just that it was found abandoned in an alley.

Turns out that my wife works with one of his relatives. The family is very upset with the situation, needless to say, and they're taking it all very hard. Word from them is that Mike did NOT normally park where he was found... because of his knees wouldn't have been able to walk it. So they think he was intercepted by the lowlifes somewhere else, and was forced to either drive or otherwise accompany them. Why he was assaulted (they still haven't said specifically how he was fatally injured) and left where he was to die, we may never know.

I am hoping that "no news is good news" and that the police are working on this, just doing it under the radar so as to not tip off the lowlifes.