PDA

View Full Version : Texas Coney

kd8dey
04-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Just curious. Several years ago I had a coney at the Cincy Zoo that they called the Texas Coney. Typical Coney (no cheese) except that it was topped with chilli & jalapeno slices.

was this really a Texas thing or were they just given the credit like "French Fries"?
(fixing both tonight while wifoid 1.0 is at dialysis so I don't tempt her with the hotdogs)

N5RLR
04-08-2011, 05:51 PM
IB4CT :snicker:

I'm guessing that it's an [I]"image" thing. Chili and jalapeņos, both identified as being popular in Texas. But I'm curious as to why cheese wasn't included; any Coney I've had here has had cheese. :yum:

W3WN
04-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Sounds more like a marketing ploy.

KA5PIU
04-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Hello.

We had a Coney Island franchise here in Texas a few years ago and they called it that.
But the hotdog with chili and jalapeno, no cheese, has been a Texas staple for years.
Why no cheese? some prefer no cheese but normally you have that choice, the cheese pump is on the counter.
In fact, the jalapeno, cheese, chili, relish, diced onion, catsup, salsa, it is all available at every place that sells hotdogs around here.
But the coney itself is not all that common around here, for whatever reason.
What is popular is the guacamole burger, and of course, chiliburger with jalapeno.
The type of cheese you put on nachos is popular on burgers also.

kd8dey
04-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Hello.
the cheese pump is on the counter.
They consider "THAT" cheese in Texas??

WV6Z
04-08-2011, 07:00 PM
SHIT! I wanted to do an IB4CT thingy too!

Heard a horror story about hotdogs last night when I got to work. It seems that Sonic is now offering a new line of $1.99 hotdogs and the 2nd shift technical crew made the mistake of trying them. I'm not sure why, but, they did anyway. It would appear that they have a small fleet of offerings, but NOTHING that even comes close to southern expectations. What is that you ask? Well, here ya go......... NO chili........ yep, that's right, no hotdogs with chili are offered. Those of you in the south, in the Carolina in particular will immediately understand the obvious. For the rest of you, here it is, Sonic's $1.99 hotdogs = FAIL! Don't waste your time on these belly bombs.

KA5PIU
04-08-2011, 07:39 PM
They consider "THAT" cheese in Texas??

Hello.

It depends on the quality of the stuff you get from the pump.
http://www.ricos.com/
This is not quality f0ood by any means, it is, after all, fast food.
Think of it this way, do you really think the butter they put on movie popcorn is really butter? ;)
Usually when you order a cheeseburger you get this american cheese product.
And what goes inside that hotdog? ;)

kc7jty
04-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Hawaiian pizza?

kb2vxa
04-09-2011, 05:04 PM
"And what goes inside that hotdog?"

http://maddwestent.com/please-take-a-look-at-what-you-are-eating-pre-chicken-nugget-meat-paste-aka-mechanically-separated-poultry-updated/

http://www.p-wholesale.com/cn-pro/19/760to1/filling-machine-690592.html

W4RLR
04-09-2011, 06:16 PM
SHIT! I wanted to do an IB4CT thingy too!

Heard a horror story about hotdogs last night when I got to work. It seems that Sonic is now offering a new line of $1.99 hotdogs and the 2nd shift technical crew made the mistake of trying them. I'm not sure why, but, they did anyway. It would appear that they have a small fleet of offerings, but NOTHING that even comes close to southern expectations. What is that you ask? Well, here ya go......... NO chili........ yep, that's right, no hotdogs with chili are offered. Those of you in the south, in the Carolina in particular will immediately understand the obvious. For the rest of you, here it is, Sonic's $1.99 hotdogs = FAIL! Don't waste your time on these belly bombs.Actually, I think their Chicago dog is pretty good. If I don't get that, I get their standard footlong chili cheese coney.

As for cheese from a can on the counter, I cannot understand why Cheez Whiz is considered a suitable topping for a Philly cheese steak sandwich. It's provolone or nothing for me.

W3WN
04-11-2011, 11:40 AM
< snip >
As for cheese from a can on the counter, I cannot understand why Cheez Whiz is considered a suitable topping for a Philly cheese steak sandwich. It's provolone or nothing for me.It's not. An authentic Philadelphia (style) cheese steak has sliced provolone... period. Otherwise, it's just a cheese steak.

Hell, I don't eat the damned things, and even I know that.

There's always someone who will do it cheaper... and atrocities like that are the result.

W4RLR
04-11-2011, 08:48 PM
It's not. An authentic Philadelphia (style) cheese steak has sliced provolone... period. Otherwise, it's just a cheese steak.

Hell, I don't eat the damned things, and even I know that.

There's always someone who will do it cheaper... and atrocities like that are the result.Watching the Food Channel, I saw a story about Pat's Cheesesteak, and Pat's uses Cheez Whiz. Geno's uses provolone. When I do get back to the City of Brotherly Love, I certainly won't be going to Pat's.

W1GUH
04-14-2011, 02:00 PM
What a tease this thread is. I've been hoping a dynamite recipe for chili sauce for chili dogs would be posted....but not yet. Who knows a good one?

NQ6U
04-14-2011, 03:58 PM
What a tease this thread is. I've been hoping a dynamite recipe for chili sauce for chili dogs would be posted....but not yet. Who knows a good one?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G8n1UjfsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

W4RLR
04-16-2011, 01:15 AM
A Texas Coney is to Coneys what an English Muffin is to Muffins.

WØTKX
04-16-2011, 03:09 PM
http://www.thegourmetchilidog.com/chilidogrecipes_01.html