PDA

View Full Version : Tuberculin Cough ??

n2ize
04-07-2011, 10:00 PM
About a week aago I had a fever and a sore throat. Now, a week later my fever and sore throad is gone but I still have a cough. I am wondering if I might have tuberculosis ? My doctor said he doubts it but, if I want , I can have a TB test taken. I think I am going to opt for it. This way I'll at least have reassurance that I don't have TB.

KG4CGC
04-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Are you asking us to diagnose you from afar?

ki4itv
04-07-2011, 10:10 PM
It is my professional opinion that you should probably quit smoking tubers and go for something a little higher on the plant.

n2ize
04-07-2011, 10:20 PM
No, I'm just wondering if a cough due to a cold can last this long. Or, stated in other words, yes...I am a hypochondriac. I worry about these sorts of things. In any event I am going to have a TB test just to (hopefully) reassure me... assuming the test comes up negative... Another reason why I was worries is that I spit up mucous tinged with a bit of blood a few days ago. My doctor thinks it was due to an irritated bleeding nose which is quite common with a bad cold.. But nonetheless, it got me worried and I figured it wouldn't hurt to be tested for the worst.

ki4itv
04-07-2011, 10:27 PM
If it causes worry, or distress, get the test.
Mitigating possibly unnecessary emotional discomfort is one of the greatest things we can do for ourselves.

n2ize
04-07-2011, 10:39 PM
If it causes worry, or distress, get the test.
Mitigating possibly unnecessary emotional discomfort is one of the greatest things we can do for ourselves.

Yes, a number of years ago I had some discomfort and I assumed the worst. So I went to a doctor and he assured me is wasn't what I thought. He even did a test to confirm that I was OK. Yes, I agree, no point in worrying about what might be. Better to know there is nothing wrong, or, if there is something wrong to take care of it.

KG4CGC
04-07-2011, 10:42 PM
A cough due to cold, Forrest, can last 3 weeks to over a month. Pollen, mold and other irritants can also give you symptoms of a wide range of things. And finally, you're old.

n2ize
04-07-2011, 10:48 PM
A cough due to cold, Forrest, can last 3 weeks to over a month. Pollen, mold and other irritants can also give you symptoms of a wide range of things. And finally, you're old.

Okay, that is reassuring. 3 weeks to over a month!!..,. wow !! That is long. But I recall as a child sometime having a cold/cough that lasted maybe that long. The thing is that it is so rare that I get colds and flu that I am not used to this sort of thing. In any event I have already arranged to have the TB test done. So I guess I'll go through with it, even though I now doubt it will show positive

KG4CGC
04-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Okay, that is reassuring. 3 weeks to over a month!!..,. wow !! That is long. But I recall as a child sometime having a cold/cough that lasted maybe that long. The thing is that it is so rare that I get colds and flu that I am not used to this sort of thing. In any event I have already arranged to have the TB test done. So I guess I'll go through with it, even though I doubt it will show positive
If the cough makes you spaz, you could get some liquid hydrocodone.
Everything around you has the potential to irritate and as you age you could become more sensitive to the point of even being allergic to things you were not allergic to prior.

n2ize
04-07-2011, 10:59 PM
If the cough makes you spaz, you could get some liquid hydrocodone.
Everything around you has the potential to irritate and as you age you could become more sensitive to the point of even being allergic to things you were not allergic to prior.

Yeah, I have the hydrocodone but I freaked out when I saw blood in my spit. The doc looked at my nose and he said it was ruptured so it probably came from there. It seems to have cleared but I freaked out and started worrying about TB and all sorts of nasty stuff. And yes as I get older it is possibler things that never bothered me before can start now. I feel a bit more relaxed now.. It's just that I haven't had a cold/flu in many many years so I have forgotten how nasty these things can be,. I very rarely ever get colds or flu's. I guess this was just my "lucky" month. :)

KG4CGC
04-07-2011, 11:10 PM
If I get the flu with a bad cough, I start coughing up blood. The capillaries rupture from the frequency and pressure of the coughing. It is disconcerting but the only thing you can do is force yourself to relax. Of course if you start seriously gurgling from your lungs call 911 but I'm just saying IF and that is usually associated with more extreme conditions.

My back hurts in 4 places, shoulder in 3, arm in 2. Both knees hurt, eyes going fuzzy, memory going, hearing going. Get odd pains that show up for no reason and later disappear without notice. At this rate in another year I should be nothing more than a puddle in a wheel chair staring out into space. Not to mention the weird typos of leaving out entire words or suffixes.

suddenseer
04-08-2011, 05:26 AM
Get a vaporizer, or make your weed into cooking fats.

W3MIV
04-08-2011, 05:39 AM
If you are on a blood pressure medication, some of them can cause a persistent dry cough.

NQ6U
04-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Sounds like terminal lung cancer to me. Can I have your radios?

WV6Z
04-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Had the flu two weeks ago and it was likely the sickest I have been in a good two or three years if not a dozen. The sinus and chest congestion, quite likely being aggravated by my allergies, has kept me coughing since then with no sign easing up. Yeah, I'm a really popular guy in the TV room at home at the moment and seem to burst out in a good enough hack to drown out theose critical moments of Lifetime movies when the ladies here were supposed to find out who the killer is or who is cheating with who and etc......

w3bny
04-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Id go with the irritants vice the TB. The TB test isnt a bad thing to have thought. If you have it boy will you know it! If not, that little bump goes away quick.

coughing is a pretty violent event for the body (like throwing up!) and if you are allergic to some pollen or irritant you are gonna rip a capilary or 20 and mixed with saliva etc looks like your are gonna hemorrhage. Warm tea, cough drops, N95 mask if its that bad. You'll feel better soon...until the pine pollen shows up whups us all!

n2ize
04-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Sounds like terminal lung cancer to me. Can I have your radios?

If you like stuff that dates back to the 1940's and 1950's containing large quantities of iron, glass and thoriated tungsten then yes. :)

n2ize
04-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Id go with the irritants vice the TB. The TB test isnt a bad thing to have thought. If you have it boy will you know it! If not, that little bump goes away quick.

Yeah, I had one done years ago because I was near someone who had TB and they inject a little bit of that stuff under the skin and if it swells up and looks like a mosquito bite then you probably have it. In my case it turned a little red and then dissapeared in a few days so it was negative.

coughing is a pretty violent event for the body (like throwing up!) and if you are allergic to some pollen or irritant you are gonna rip a capilary or 20 and mixed with saliva etc looks like your are gonna hemorrhage. Warm tea, cough drops, N95 mask if its that bad. You'll feel better soon...until the pine pollen shows up whups us all!

yes, I can imagine how bad it can be. I used to get terrible allergies, particularly when we had cats. I just haven't had a cold/flu for such a long time I forgot how long the cough and congestion can linger on for,. I don;t cough when I am laying down. Only when I am standing up or sitting upright. Doc thinks it's all drainage from the nose and sinus causing the cough. If it were in the chest I'd have asthma. I always get asthma when a cold hits my lungs. But in this case no asthma.

KK4AMI
04-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Isn't there some age where we are all supposed to get pneumonia shots? I notice that my colds hang on a long time. The best thing I did was retire from a stupid "elbow to elbow" cubical job. We passed stuff around and around in that kind of environment.

NQ6U
04-08-2011, 01:50 PM
If you like stuff that dates back to the 1940's and 1950's containing large quantities of iron, glass and thoriated tungsten then yes. :)

Yep. I like it, but I don't have any so I need some. The address in my FCC listing is current... ;)

ka8ncr
04-08-2011, 09:48 PM
There is a virus that seems to go around that gets me coughing from January through March. It just doesn't go away easily. Seems to afflict those with a predisposition to sinus problems.

n2ize
04-10-2011, 12:20 AM
There is a virus that seems to go around that gets me coughing from January through March. It just doesn't go away easily. Seems to afflict those with a predisposition to sinus problems.

march/April is always a bad time for me for colds and flu. I rarely ever get colds and flu but when I do get them it is almost always in late March or early to mid April. Rarely ever get ill in the summer, fall or winter. S

X-Rated
04-10-2011, 12:25 AM
march/April is always a bad time for me for colds and flu. I rarely ever get colds and flu but when I do get them it is almost always in late March or early to mid April. Rarely ever get ill in the summer, fall or winter. S

I have been in bad shape all week this week with massive amounts of mucus and nasal drip. I could hardly sleep Thurs night. Finally feeling better this evening. I haven't had a cold or flu since Nov. 2009. Thought I was going to make it through this season without a cold, but didn't make it.

kd8dey
04-10-2011, 01:07 AM
The quickest way I have found to get rid of a sore throat cold.

1. Grab a bottle of the highest octane stuff you can handle (151 etc)
fill a glass full and continuously take the largest gulp you can till you feel the "corruption" peeling from your throat.
(then continue to take a few more smaller drinks to wash it all down).

2. Immediately start using zinc lozenges to block those pesky germs from re attaching. (generic Walgreen's brand works fine)