PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Ponyo movie and Amateur Radio

KØWVM
04-07-2011, 08:40 PM
So my kids got out the Ponyo movie to watch this earlier this evening. Happened to catch a interesting part as I walked into the family room. Around the 56:30 mark of the movie I noticed a dipole was erected (Sorta like a Buddipole in a V pattern). Shortly after that, one of the main characters got on and was operating a larger version of an IC-7000 on 6 meters and using the callsign JA4LL. Interesting what you come across...

NQ6U
04-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I remember that when I saw the movie, I was surprised how accurately portrayed the equipment was considering it was an animated feature. Obviously, there was a Japanese ham involved in there somewhere.

KØWVM
04-08-2011, 01:09 AM
I remember that when I saw the movie, I was surprised how accurately portrayed the equipment was considering it was an animated feature. Obviously, there was a Japanese ham involved in there somewhere.

Even when animated they did a pretty good job of making the IC-7000 look pretty much like the real thing. Only thing that I had to laugh about is the fact they made it look much larger, about to the size of a 7600. My oldest said, "Daddy, they have one of those radio's in the movie like you have downstairs in the basement." I said, "you are right and good job noticing that."

X-Rated
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Ponyo is cool.

NQ6U
04-08-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkHNRuglRG4

Looking at it again, I think that antenna was supposed to be some weird sort of two-element yagi. A Zed search for JA4LL comes up blank, BTW.