PDA

View Full Version : Devon Butler shot

X-Rated
04-06-2011, 10:27 PM
NIU (http://www.wrex.com/Global/story.asp?S=14396091) has another shooting.

DEKALB (WREX) -

An NIU football player is critically injured in an off-campus shooting in DeKalb Tuesday night.

Devon Butler is in critical condition at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center. DeKalb Police say Butler was visiting friends at an apartment on Aspen Drive when a vehicle pulled up and started firing shots at 11:56 p.m. Tuesday. One of the bullets went through the window and hit Butler.

Police say the shooters targeted the apartment as a result of a drug transaction. DeKalb Police Chief Bill Feithen says there's no indication Butler had any knowledge or involvement in the drug deal.

Police have arrested Mark Orozco, 24, of DeKalb, and Richard Van Arsdale III, 20, of DeKalb on charges of attempted first degree murder, aggravated battery with a firearm, aggravated discharge of a firearm, and unlawful delivery of cannabis.

Butler is a junior linebacker from Pembroke Pines, Florida.

"All of our thoughts and prayers as a team and as a coaching staff right now are with Devon," said NIU Football Coach Dave Doeren, who is at the hospital with Butler.

All football activities have been cancelled, including Thursday morning's scheduled spring practice.

"As an athletic department and as a university, I know that we are going to support Devon, his family and his teammates in every way we can," said NIU Associate Vice-President and Director of Athletics Jeff Compher.

I haven't talked to my son at that college yet.

KA5PIU
04-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Hello.

Wrong place at the wrong time.
Most likely he was hanging with his peers.
I was almost shot, the guy killed his room mate trying to shoot me based on what his brother had said.
Since then I have had a very strong line against illegal drug users around me.
You can run all the drugs you want, I do not want to know about it.
But do not do any transactions or use the chit, I really do dial 911.

X-Rated
04-07-2011, 06:45 AM
The XYL talked to my son last night and that is what it sounds like. Wrong place.

W3MIV
04-07-2011, 06:47 AM
If the weed were legal...

KC2UGV
04-07-2011, 09:22 AM
We just need more guns on the streets. That will solve crimes like these. Fewer people would have died if BOTH sides were firing shots at each other, instead of just one.

X-Rated
04-07-2011, 09:55 AM
We just need more guns on the streets. That will solve crimes like these. Fewer people would have died if BOTH sides were firing shots at each other, instead of just one.

Especially on the football field. I doubt NIU would have lost any games last season if they were packin' on the defense.

KA5PIU
04-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Hello.

This is Texas, horseplay may be out of the question but firearms accidents are common.
People get set for hunting, and bring along beer, in fact beer is a very prominent fixture of hunting.
Now think about this for a moment, alcohol and firearms.
Add to this the huntingmobile.
This is a pickup truck with a hunting stand added to the vehicle, perhaps 20 feet in the air.
Add to that the seats mounted ahead of the front bumper.
http://performancetopdrives.com/top-drives/
Look at the pictures, notice that the beer cooler is built-in to most of the rigs presented.
And, in Texas, like the rest of the world, beer run has one of two meanings.
Fact of the matter, I have never hunted in Texas, I have always been afraid of the drunks with guns!
What does this have to do with this case?
Simple, alcohol and firearms were involved in this case, the drug buy gone wrong added to it.

kc7jty
04-07-2011, 02:16 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/DEVONBUTLER10_16150.JPG

ki4itv
04-07-2011, 02:23 PM
We always try to shoot our customers first. Saves us the trouble of doing it later.
Strange story.

N8YX
04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
...then they'd kill each other over meth.

NQ6U
04-07-2011, 04:10 PM

...then they'd kill each other over meth.

Nah. They'd start out to kill each other over meth but they'd be too stoned to remember what it was they intended to do and end up just staying home and giggling at old movies on TV.

kb2vxa
04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
If he weren't a football player it wouldn't be news. If he didn't hang out in a drug dealer's house he wouldn't have been shot. Wrong place at wrong time? ANY time is the wrong time to be in the wrong place or am I mistaken?

KA5PIU
04-07-2011, 09:46 PM
If he weren't a football player it wouldn't be news. If he didn't hang out in a drug dealer's house he wouldn't have been shot. Wrong place at wrong time? ANY time is the wrong time to be in the wrong place or am I mistaken?

Hello.

He was not at a drug dealers house.
He was at a house where the persons living there consumed drugs.
This goes back to the type of people you associate with.