PDA

View Full Version : Other than 2222's 3904 3906 - 1n34/1n914's, 555's

kd8dey
04-04-2011, 12:17 AM
What would you consider to be the top 10 must have hobby/experimenters transistors, diodes, or other semiconductor/IC's you would want in your parts box? 8)

W5RB
04-04-2011, 12:41 AM
1n4007 and/or 1n5408 , 1KV @ 1A , and at 3A , respectively . MMBT2222a , surface mount equivalent to the classic NPN.

PA5COR
04-04-2011, 02:32 AM
From the age of 12 i salvaged parts from good PCB's and must have 20.000+ transistors from all edges of the world, all tested and good.
I realised i will never use them in the rest of my life, so i started a few years back to help out Ham's that needed certain parts to send them a few of my supply.

I donated my tube collection to a museum that rebuilds old radio's or transmitters....
Having cleared out a repair shop the last month, the supply only went up, though much parts were donated to the group that doees the maintenance of our repeaters/beacons.

Standard range resistors, C's,Schottky diodes i was able to help a few members here and some at Qrz.

N8YX
04-04-2011, 06:27 AM
If you do anything with RF, standard range inductors and chokes are a must.

Digital?

Be well-stocked in the 74xx, 74LSxx and 40xx lines.

I have a bunch (and I do mean a BUNCH) of caps, precision half-watt resistors and the like; I'll never use all of the particular values I have on-hand. A goodly-sized assortment is yours for the cost of postage.

NQ6U
04-04-2011, 09:59 AM
78Lxx voltage regulators, in 5v, 12v and adjustable type.

KC2UGV
04-04-2011, 10:12 AM

Digital?

I have a bunch (and I do mean a BUNCH) of caps, precision half-watt resistors and the like; I'll never use all of the particular values I have on-hand. A goodly-sized assortment is yours for the cost of postage.

What do you consider "standard" inductors and chokes?

kd8dey
04-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Digital?

Careful, when I get a little better up I might take you up on that offer, Steve (Mot) too if I am not too late by then...

Got Wifoid 1.0 a little miffed at me this morning. Started a little "project" spread across part of the the living room floor last night that I need to finish up.

I have one of those large Plano fishing boxes I grabbed a several months ago when I outgrew the smaller tackle box ITT issued when I first started.

I was up past 2 am "Customizing" one of the trays so some of my stuff fit better. Who knew that nibbling out a few compartment dividers using my small wire stripper and a pair of dykes could be so time consuming and messy.

Anyhoo I have 2 of those 1/2w resistor assortment packs, 1 came with the kit, the other I got from the school chair as reimbursement for some antennas from radio shack I needed on a couple of those radios for the blind I was fixing in the lab.

I also have a bag of 1/4w assorted from "the shack" and a 1lb pipe tobacco bag of 1-2w unsorted resistors that "Skool" was throwing out that I grabbed :)

In the course of 5 quarters, all those little resistors that never seem to get put back in their plastic baggies congregate in the oddest places, You know, The spots you never check so you end up digging another one out of the baggie?

So I am working on sorting them out since they are the ones most commonly used in lab class, And giving each one a baggie of it's own instead of 5 different values in a bag like they were originally packaged in a little box.

The school kit didn't have a whole lot of parts except for the resistors and a few project kits for soldering practice.
They only had a few of the different capacitors, A few IC's and inductors (Skimpy bastiges). So Thats one thing I need to work on along with Semis :)

Went through the hand tools they had along with what I already had and sorted 1 each of the best example into the box along with my hot glue gun & desoldering iron.

Turning into a real project of it's own, But I'll be somewhat organized If I get the chance to return to school.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee58/bubbathegimp/Radio/Toybox.jpg

kd8dey
04-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Taking a smoke break
Wifoids Grandson Was bored so he decided to help. (he doesn't realize he is starting to learn the resistor color code) 8yrs old ADHD :)

N8YX
04-04-2011, 02:50 PM
What do you consider "standard" inductors and chokes?
1/5/10/50/100/220/470uH molded; 10 and 100mh form-wound. An assortment of toroid cores (for winding your own RF transformers) is a big help as well.

ab1ga
04-04-2011, 06:25 PM
OP-07, 22V10 for glue logic, microcontroller of choice like MSP-430, Parallax Propeller, etc.

NQ6U
04-04-2011, 06:28 PM
An assortment of toroid cores (for winding your own RF transformers) is a big help as well.

What sizes and mixes would you say are the best to keep on hand?

N8YX
04-04-2011, 07:27 PM
What sizes and mixes would you say are the best to keep on hand?
Amidon used to offer an experimenter's assortment that was a good starting point. 1/4"-3/4" ID should cover the majority of your high-frequency, low-power RF needs. If you want to build (for example) a balun for higher power you'll need to order a larger (2+ " ID) core but I wouldn't go out of my way to keep such a component in "stock".

The link shown here

http://www.palomar-engineers.com/Ferrite_Cores/ferrite_cores.html

gives a good rundown of mix vs frequency characteristics. Buy those cores useful to you at the frequency ranges which you are commonly utilizing in your projects.

KA9MOT
04-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Careful, when I get a little better up I might take you up on that offer, Steve (Mot) too if I am not too late by then...

All my stuff is gone, except for maybe a small box of stuff that came out of the drawers and TONS of Fuses and Boxes of Lamps. Give me a little time to heal, and I'll see if I can put something together for you.

N2CHX
04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
MPF-102 FETs, 741 and 1458 op-amps. 2N3053's for QRP final amps.

kd8dey
04-05-2011, 11:54 AM
From the age of 12 i salvaged parts from good PCB's and must have 20.000+ transistors from all edges of the world, all tested and good.
I realised i will never use them in the rest of my life, so i started a few years back to help out Ham's that needed certain parts to send them a few of my supply.

I donated my tube collection to a museum that rebuilds old radio's or transmitters....
Having cleared out a repair shop the last month, the supply only went up, though much parts were donated to the group that doees the maintenance of our repeaters/beacons.

Standard range resistors, C's,Schottky diodes i was able to help a few members here and some at Qrz.

When I was around that age I was going into condemned buildings, and pulling vacuum tubes etc out of abandoned TV sets.
Used the primary winding out of a transformer to do my first longwire going to my moms Sx-111 stretched between the 4th floor fire escape, across a sheet metal factory parking lot to the 6th street viaduct.

After somebody disconnected the wire from the viaduct 3-4 times (probably city workers) they finally left it alone. Remember feeling current on it a few times hooking it up to the radio....
39 06 07.27N-84 33 05.09W

KA5PIU
04-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Hello.

I did very much the same, old buildings are a treasure trove of old electronics.
I must distill parts down to a small size so the CRT and such went first, kept the yoke if it looked good for the magnet wire.
Some tubes were kept if they tested good but did toss quite a few.
Since TV tuners were very much standard I kept a few along with anything remote control.
That small box that made ultrasonic remotes work I made effort to get going, and put them in all sorts of applications.
I few flyback cages and the power transformers went into a few projects.
Since I like to transmit around the 160 meter area just about anything will work, and 20 watts is not hard from a sweep tube.