PDA

View Full Version : Proliant DL360

W3WN
04-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Anyone got a rack they don't need? (No, a COMPUTER EQUIPMENT rack, you evil minded people -- we'll discuss THOSE racks in another thread!)

A friend just gave me a Compaq Proliant DL360 Blade Server. With extra SCSI drives and a spare power supply. He was looking to buy one at Dayton last year, and someone made him a deal on a bunch that he couldn't pass up... and ended up with more than he needed.

I have some work to do on it, but first and foremost... I need something to put it in!

Meanwhile, if anyone in the group has ever worked with or on one of these, any suggestions welcome. Glen had a copy of Linux on it earlier, so I'll probably stick with that... I have a hunch my old versions of NetWare might not run too well on it these days...

n6hcm
04-02-2011, 08:30 PM
do you really want a rack for just one system? i had a shorty rack at work that i had to excess a few years ago and i was tempted to give it a new home ... but i didn't.

W3MPS
04-02-2011, 08:50 PM
The Compaq tech support archives are your friend with the ProLiants. There is a set of boot disks you have to run to set BIOS settings and such anytime you make a hardware change. What are you hoping to do with it? Supported OSes end at about MS Server 2000, but I've had them stable on XP and Server2003. Linux should run just fine, but I haven't gotten around to schooling myself on that.

KC2UGV
04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
I know RHEL 5.0 will run FB on that chassis. That means CentOS 5 will do nicely as well.

WØTKX
04-02-2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/11/how-to-rackmount-your-gear-for-cheap/

http://www.keyofgrey.com/2010/02/diy-ikea-rackmount/

W3WN
04-03-2011, 02:58 PM
The Compaq tech support archives are your friend with the ProLiants. There is a set of boot disks you have to run to set BIOS settings and such anytime you make a hardware change. What are you hoping to do with it? Supported OSes end at about MS Server 2000, but I've had them stable on XP and Server2003. Linux should run just fine, but I haven't gotten around to schooling myself on that.
Local server in-house, and it gives me a good reason to get a handle on Linux. Thanks for the tip on the boot disks, I'll have to see about downloading them.

I have some old copies of NT Server floating around, somewhere in the archives, but I don't really think I want to deal with anything that old.