PDA

View Full Version : Mountain/Cross-country/Touring/Racing bicyclists - get in here!

N8YX
04-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Share your stories, gear tips and tricks, favorite rides and trails.

When I first met 'DSG she was in the process of taking possession of a new GT Timberline comfort bike. (This is essentially a trail model - hardtail - with a minimally sprung fork and seat plunger.) She hasn't ridden the thing at all, and the few times I had it out were uncomfortable. It's a medium size and...well...I really wasn't sure of what size to get, except that Timberline was way too small for me. Over the years I checked out a variety of offerings from Cannondale, Trek, Giant and the like. I really had my mind set on an iDrive 2.0.

Fast forward to last year, when we joined a gym which has a lot of cardio equipment - stationary bikes, ellipticals, etc. I love working out but absolutely detest sitting on a friggin' exercise bike, listening to all the other members kvetch about what assholes their husbands and boyfriends are. A mountain bike began to look better and better as an alternative. Yesterday I spent a bit of time online looking at bikes, reviews and whatnot...and really wanted to check out the offerings at Eddy's in Stow - which happens to be right down the road from a fellow ham. In particular, a Specialized Stumpjumper was the bike which consistently garnered favorable reviews.

Eddy's didn't have one of those in a XL - which is what ultimately fit me - but they did have this nice Specialized FSR Camber which rode better (IMHO) than a $2600 Trek. A bar, seat and pedal swap later, we're ready to roll. Add lights, a Topeak rear rack (along with a trunk bag/pannier set) and long-distance stuff which mandates carrying rain gear won't be a problem.

Yes, there will be a radio attached. :lol: I have an Arkon mount which can be modified to accept a belt clip for our VX-6/VX-7 HTs, and 'DSG's Droid can be mounted on her GT with the same base mount.

What really spurred this effort on is the fact that we live about 200yds from a bike path which connects darn near half of the state together:

http://www.ohioeriecanal.org/trailupdate.html

Ride down our drive, right turn, two lefts and a right...across the railroad tracks and onto the trail. Eventually one could take this route all the way to Dover. As of today, you can reach Cleveland riding north. Restaurants, bike shops, places to stay and a lot of parks can be found alongside. There are enough wooded places throughout that a mountain bike can be put to effective use, ergo the Camber.

N2CHX
04-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I had a 2008 Trek 600 with disc brakes. THAT was a nice bike. I now have a GT hardtail (my ex liberated the Trek when we broke up) and I do everything from street touring to hardcore trails with it. We have everything here, from mud bogs to old rail beds.

KG4CGC
04-02-2011, 12:34 PM
We have a "Bunny Trail" which has become a crime scene via accidents due to poor maintenance and muggings. Pretty much open season on joggers and bicyclists. It runs from Downtown Greenville on through the Furman University outer campus. I guess it has attracted such a criminal element because it offers hidden areas where they can camp out and the easy access to the Furman campus is a plus in their minds. People wanted riding and jogging trails so they said this was, "good enough."
http://greenvillerec.com/parks/swamp-rabbit/

They may connect it on into Easley.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20110317/NEWS/303170008/Easley-greenway-could-help-make-connections-across-city

Looking for the crime stories but they all seem to be ... gone!

N2NH
04-02-2011, 11:04 PM
I had a hard tail Raliegh 27 speed with oversized disc brakes as well as a vintage all Campagnolo Atala Road Bike. Miss them both, but next time I'm planning on getting cantilever brakes. The disc brakes worked very well, but nobody knows how to adjust them and the bike weighed a ton, which was very good for a workout, not so good for hill climbing. Road (Racing) bikes have come a long way since the Atala was made and 20 lbs isn't the low end of lightweight bikes any more.

One hint, if you want less rolling resistance, inflate the tires 2 to 5 lbs over the rating on the sidewall. It will move faster but stopping takes a little longer and the ride is a lot bumpier. Also, change gears before you start climbing a hill and it's a lot easier. Most people wait until they're on the hill, but that's harder on the chain and gears.

On a hot day, a camelback (http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2011-Charge-450.aspx) is invaluable. The bigger the pack, the better hydrated you'll be and the longer you can ride. As you get tired, the pack gets lighter as you drink so things equal out. The best way to stay in communication is to stick a small mobile whip on the bike and take your HT or QRP radio. It's always great to hit a repeater and be the Bike Mobile and if on a lightly travelled trail, it can be a life saver.

KA5PIU
04-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Hello.

I got a cheap basic Schwinn stingray that a bolted a genuine whizzer motor on.
Most of the time I run it with a motor, might as well be on the Vespa.

NQ6U
04-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Hello.

I got a cheap basic Schwinn stingray that a bolted a genuine whizzer motor on.
Most of the time I run it with a motor, might as well be on the Vespa.

I'm surprised you didn't use the APU motor off your Bell 47, Hajji Rudi.

NA4BH
04-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Here is one for you biker type

http://www.cheahachallenge.com/

102 miles uphill both ways

w6tmi
04-05-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm actually with Rudy, san's gizmos onit. i.e. kmart special (Schwinns are typically made by a chinese off brand that makes most of 'em..)

Everything from the local bike path (it's off the road - note I say off the road, not offroad) that's nice and casual to some mountain trails. It's all hardpack clay around here. Unless it's raining then it's.. whatever.. I dont go out in that.

I can't stand stationary bikes, if I'm going to put up with annoying people, and shitty techno music I'm hitten the weights with my own music in my ears.

Bikes are good exercise though, nice change of beating the crap out of my knees playing footy or volleyB.

WØTKX
04-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I have a trusty old Gary Fischer Marin mountain bike.
Great gearset, decent brakes... excellent urban assault bike.

It's purple, and has a luggage rack on the back. Needs tassels. :lol: NERD BIKE!

No shocks at all, but I might go for some on the front forks.

N8YX
05-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Bumping this one back up.

Got the bike 99% where I want it to be. Another pair or two of wheels (with Shimano Alfine dynamo front hubs), Supernova E3 light and a Gravity Dropper seatpost are on tap for later this year. Thinking about a 33mm wide Sun Ringle rim for one set (downhill use) and a 24-26mm wide rim for the pair which will be equipped with road/trail tires. Seats and posts can be switched for commuting or mountain use, as can the wheels/tires.

Shown here on the Ohio/Erie Canal bikeway, about 2 1/2 miles northeast of our place. The VX-7R comes in handy when running sections of the towpath trail which parallel the CSX mainline and the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railway; I can scan their road channels and catch the next train - or talk to the area FM simplex crowd while underway.

Needs more light, ergo the Supernova. I'm running both Planet Bike lights with NiZn rechargeables and while this helps the output a bit, there's simply no replacement for displacement. The Topeak bag expands into saddlebags - perfect for rain suits, sweaters, etc.

Yesterday's trip was a "loaded" run - we purposefully weighted the trunk bags on each of our bikes with as much as we figure we'll ever carry then set off up the trail. I had absolutely no problem maintaining a good pace so this looks like it'll work.

KG4CGC
05-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Nice bag. The fender line is rad.