PDA

View Full Version : New Ham - Same old Question

KK4AMI
03-31-2011, 04:24 PM
I am new to Ham Radio. I just got my licenses (Tech and General) in Feb. I had intended to fix an old Cubic RT-1131 Radio, but my skills suggest I might want to get another radio in the mean time. I don't think I am interested in 2m, 70cm, etc.. I'd like to go with HF and maybe 6 meter (AM/SSB/CW). Can anybody recommend a reliable used 100w desktop/portable that is cheap and resellable? My wife said I have to sell off some hobbies before starting new ones. I'm looking at selling my trap gun to buy the radio. :chin:

ki4itv
03-31-2011, 04:29 PM
I really like my ricebox, Yaesu FT-897D.
If I had to choose one cheap radio to do about anything, that'd be it...and it was.
They're cheapish, and can do a little of everything.

NQ6U
03-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Icom IC-7800. Fine beginners radio. Hook it up to a SteppIR DB36 antenna and you've a good starting point.

Seriously, the Icom IC-718 and Yaesu FT-450 would be good radios to look at. They're both very basic, but reliable and not too expensive.

KK4AMI
03-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Icom IC-7800. Fine beginners radio. Hook it up to a SteppIR DB36 antenna and you've a good starting point.

Seriously, the Icom IC-718 and Yaesu FT-450 would be good radios to look at. They're both very basic, but reliable and not too expensive.

The 7800 huh, that runs about $100 per word spoken over it? Icom IC-718 sounds great. I have an R-71A so I guess I'm partial to Icom.

W5GA
03-31-2011, 04:48 PM
I'd vote for an IC-761, or if you can swing it an IC-765. Neither has 6m, but both will do you really, really well on HF.

NQ6U
03-31-2011, 04:49 PM
The 7800 huh, that runs about $100 per word spoken over it? Icom IC-718 sounds great. I have an R-71A so I guess I'm partial to Icom.

Hey, they're only around $15K. Should be pocket change for a guy like you... ;)

KK4AMI
03-31-2011, 04:51 PM
I really like my ricebox, Yaesu FT-897D.
If I had to choose one cheap radio to do about anything, that'd be it...and it was.
They're cheapish, and can do a little of everything.

I love that Radio, but I can't see me using the 2m, etc.

KK4AMI
03-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Hey, they're only around $15K. Should be pocket change for a guy like you... ;)

Who spends that much money on just the one radio?

NQ6U
03-31-2011, 04:55 PM
I love that Radio, but I can't see me using the 2m, etc.

I used an 897 at a remote event last summer and liked it a lot—to the point that I decided I want to get one for myself some day. It's a perfect radio for Field Day and the like but I don't think it's the best choice for a beginner because of all the nested menus you have to navigate through to change settings. That's necessary because of the radio's compact size, but a newbie might find it kind of confusing. Stay away from the Icom IC-706 series, the IC-7000 or the Yaesu FT-857 for the same reason. Good radios all, but not for a beginner.

NQ6U
03-31-2011, 04:56 PM

People with a lot more money than me, that's for sure. To be perfectly honest, though, I don't think I'd drop that much cash on a radio even if I had the means. It just seems excessive.

W5GA
03-31-2011, 05:01 PM
People with a lot more money than me, that's for sure. To be perfectly honest, though, I don't think I'd drop that much cash on a radio even if I had the means. It just seems excessive.
If you had the means, you'd also have a different perspective.
I've used one of those ultra high end radios before...Got to play with an IC-781 right after they came out. One of the interesting technical factoids was it had a near perfect wave shape on CW, right at 3:1, no matter what you did with it. Don't see that very often. Nice radio, though.

NQ6U
03-31-2011, 05:14 PM
If you had the means, you'd also have a different perspective.

Yeah, who knows, maybe. I'd like to have the opportunity to find out some day!

One of my Friday morning bakery gathering compadres won an IC-7800 at the Visalia DX Convention last year. He is very pleased with it. Of course, who wouldn't be?

W4RLR
03-31-2011, 05:15 PM
My first HF radio was (and is) a Yaesu FT-100D that I got for $500. It's a good all around rig, the only gotcha is that the RF finals are now made of unobtainium. Thus a trip to the nested menus to limit power output to 75%, I've worked Europe from my truck with that radio.

KK4AMI
03-31-2011, 05:16 PM
I'd vote for an IC-761, or if you can swing it an IC-765. Neither has 6m, but both will do you really, really well on HF.

Thank you for the input. I'm checking ebay. I can't afford to totally invest in one hobby. I have about 100 hobbies now. Guess I have the attention span of a Tasmanian devil with ADHD.

WØTKX
03-31-2011, 05:21 PM
If you are not afraid of a bit of a learning curve, the FT-857/897 are good radios for doing almost everything. I had an 897 for a while, and traded it for an FT-857 with the optional filters already installed. After a bit of use, the FT-857 button ergonomics are nicer than the FT-897, IMHO. Especially mobile, and the fancy remote mic is useful too.

Are you thinking portable more than actually mobile? That makes a big difference. If you can do about $2K plus or minus:

If computers and tinkering does not scare you, a speedy laptop and a Flex 3000 will go portable, a lot of people do that. I recently purchased one, and I am very impressed. But using a laptop in motion would be a little weird... portable more than mobile, I would hope. The IC-7000 has some quirks and mods needed to get consistent audio, but it's got a good receiver in it, and is one of the coolest rigs for mobile. You can hook up a 8" LCD and get a big display on it for older eyes, and the menus are extensive.

Ten Tec Eagle is right up there too. Elecraft K3's can do mobile. There are some really great older mobile rigs too, if you are not afraid of a well kept used one. The Kenwood TS-480 is darn nice, another remote- able faceplate rig, and they have a 200 watt model. Don't forget the budget for a really good mobile antenna, the high end screwdrivers are expensive. I'm kind of shopping for one of those myself.

If I tell you any more, you will be charged a consulting fee. I kid I kid!

KK4AMI
03-31-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm not a menu man. I have to keep reading the instruction manual for my cell phone and programmable thermostat. Just a desk top radio is what I'm shooting for. In addition, a power supply, antenna tuner and antenna (140 ft dipole with 1:1 balun and RG-8 coax.

NQ6U
03-31-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm not a menu man. I have to keep reading the instruction manual for my cell phone and programmable thermostat. Just a desk top radio is what I'm shooting for. In addition, a power supply, antenna tuner and antenna (140 ft dipole with 1:1 balun and RG-8 coax.

Sounds like you're right on top of things. If you don't mind me asking, how much money are you willing to spend on the radio?

WØTKX
03-31-2011, 06:53 PM
I'd say Ten Tec Eagle, or the Kenwood if you need a radio with a removable panel then.

All the other radios have a lot of menus. Mind you, if they are setup well, you won't need to mess with them much.

You know, the 80/20 rule; 80% of what's important is in 20% of the settings. Something like that. :lol:

If you want no menus at all, maybe a used Ten Tec Scout. No 6 meters tho. eHam Ten Tec Scout review (http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/142)

NQ6U
03-31-2011, 07:08 PM
The Scout is only 50 watts out, though, and you have to buy and change out modules for every different band. For about the same price, I thnk he'd be better off with a 718 or 450.

KK4AMI
03-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Sounds like you're right on top of things. If you don't mind me asking, how much money are you willing to spend on the radio?

I'd like to cap it at $500.

KK4AMI
03-31-2011, 07:40 PM
I'd say Ten Tec Eagle, or the Kenwood if you need a radio with a removable panel then.

All the other radios have a lot of menus. Mind you, if they are setup well, you won't need to mess with them much.

You know, the 80/20 rule; 80% of what's important is in 20% of the settings. Something like that. :lol:

If you want no menus at all, maybe a used Ten Tec Scout. No 6 meters tho. eHam Ten Tec Scout review (http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/142)

What is the removable panel for?

NQ6U
03-31-2011, 07:51 PM

I've heard the Yaesu FT-100 is a classic, but I noticed that there are a lot of rebuild kits on ebay for them. I'll work on my old Cubic, but I want a working radio now.

For that price, you'll have to go for something used. An IC-718 is selling for $629.95 at Universal Radio but you can usually find pretty new ones for around your price. The FT-450 is more expensive, $899.95.

KG4CGC
03-31-2011, 07:51 PM
There is a 450 selling for 500 on QRZ right now if it isn't already snatched up. Setting up the menu is pretty much a one time thing on that rig for most things.

KJ3N
03-31-2011, 08:42 PM

Contesters have been known to do so. Of course, they usually have about 3-4 times that invested in the antennas.

KJ3N
03-31-2011, 08:47 PM

A used IC-751A should be about that now. A used IC-718 should be under $500.

KJ3N
03-31-2011, 08:49 PM
In addition, a power supply, antenna tuner and antenna (140 ft dipole with 1:1 balun and RG-8 coax.

If you're planning on using that dipole on multiple bands, you'd better be feeding it with twin lead or ladder line. Coax and a 1:1 at the feed point is going to be a problem.

W5GA
04-01-2011, 06:09 AM
That'll get you into a nice 761 easily.

KJ4FEL
04-01-2011, 06:45 AM
For that price, you'll have to go for something used. An IC-718 is selling for $629.95 at Universal Radio but you can usually find pretty new ones for around your price. The FT-450 is more expensive, $899.95.

Ham Radio Outlet has the IC-718 for $584.95 (new).

Link: http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-003490

KK4AMI
04-01-2011, 06:53 AM
If you're planning on using that dipole on multiple bands, you'd better be feeding it with twin lead or ladder line. Coax and a 1:1 at the feed point is going to be a problem.

I have all that up already at 60 ft. Its for my SWLing with my R-71A. I have a little MFJ-901B Antenna tuner, won't that fix any issues at least to 80 meters? The Icom IC-718 and the Yaesu FT-450 sound like the way to go. If I can sell off a few guns, I'd really like the Icom IC-7200 or the Kenwood TS-480HX

KC2UGV
04-01-2011, 07:45 AM
New or used? What modes will you be using most?

W5GA
04-01-2011, 07:48 AM
I have all that up already at 60 ft. Its for my SWLing with my R-71A. I have a little MFJ-901B Antenna tuner, won't that fix any issues at least to 80 meters? The Icom IC-718 and the Yaesu FT-450 sound like the way to go. If I can sell off a few guns, I'd really like the Icom IC-7200 or the Kenwood TS-480HX
No it won't. All the tuner does is fool the transmitter into seeing a match. The price of the 50 ohm match that the TX sees, combined with coax feed is that a lot (if not most) of the power will be radiated as heat from the tuner. Not always the case, but in most instances. To get any sort of efficiency, the tuner would need to be at the antenna feed point, which isn't very practical in most cases, a ground mounted vertical being a notable exception. This is one of the reasons that the 43' vertical is popular. The open line or ladder feed is much more tolerant.
If you want an antenna that works all out of proportion to the money invested in it, buy a 4-BTV. Combine that with a decent radial field, and you'll be amazed.

KK4AMI
04-01-2011, 07:55 AM
No it won't. All the tuner does is fool the transmitter into seeing a match. The price of the 50 ohm match that the TX sees, combined with coax feed is that a lot (if not most) of the power will be radiated as heat from the tuner. Not always the case, but in most instances. To get any sort of efficiency, the tuner would need to be at the antenna feed point, which isn't very practical in most cases, a ground mounted vertical being a notable exception. This is one of the reasons that the 43' vertical is popular. The open line or ladder feed is much more tolerant.
If you want an antenna that works all out of proportion to the money invested in it, buy a 4-BTV. Combine that with a decent radial field, and you'll be amazed.

OK! Ugh, Radial field. Out comes the explosives to bust this concrete red clay I call a yard :)

KK4AMI
04-01-2011, 08:03 AM
New or used? What modes will you be using most?

New or used depending on how much money I can get together without the XYL knowing. I guess SSB and AM. I'm one of those new no code Hams that my amateur radio friend refers to as a "Professional CBer". I plan on picking it up after the fact

KK4AMI
04-01-2011, 08:09 AM
PS- I don't ask my friend for radio advice because he's a "boat anchor" collector. His idea of a good radio is based on gross tonnage and tubes. My Ikea decor will not support that option :)

W5GA
04-01-2011, 08:27 AM
OK! Ugh, Radial field. Out comes the explosives to bust this concrete red clay I call a yard :)
No need to bury them. If you have grass, lay the wire on top of it right after mowing it short. Wet the dirt enough so you can use yard staples (Wallyworld has them) to hold the wire down, and let the grass take care of the rest. In a couple of months, you won't even know the radials are there, and they'll be a good bit below normal mowing height from day one, so the mower won't hack them up.

KG4CGC
04-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Red clay is high in iron. You're basically sitting on an RF mirror.

N8YX
04-01-2011, 08:35 AM
A used IC-751A should be about that now. A used IC-718 should be under $500.
This is exactly what I would do.

It's exactly what I've done.

I have three R-71As. Two are paired with IC-751A/IC-2KL/AT-500/PS-30 setups, and the third will be paired with an IC-751A/AH-2/AH-2B remote tuner for Field Day use...and as a backup to the others.

My latest R-71A is currently on the test bench, undergoing a rebuild of the display board. When done I'll see about finding another '751A as its FD mate.

As far as 6/2/440 goes, look into getting a loaded FT-726R or FT-736.

KC2UGV
04-01-2011, 08:42 AM
New or used depending on how much money I can get together without the XYL knowing. I guess SSB and AM. I'm one of those new no code Hams that my amateur radio friend refers to as a "Professional CBer". I plan on picking it up after the fact

Well, I know you can still get an FT840 for a song these days, as it's getting long in the tooth. It does OK on SSB, not so great on AM unless you can find the wide filters.

It's top notch on digital modes (What I do mostly).

I know, I didn't help much, but there are several avid AM'ers here on board who have great advice. N8YX "specializes" in improving the AM capabilities of many rigs, and has posted many a thread on those mods.

N8YX
04-01-2011, 09:09 AM
N8YX "specializes" in improving the AM capabilities of many rigs, and has posted many a thread on those mods.
Oh, I've butchered a few in my day ... :snicker:

The trick (and the catch) to getting decent AM output from your typical multi-mode is all in how the signal is generated - and where the modulation is introduced. Most modern all-mode rigs actually transmit AME (exalted carrier AM, or one sideband with carrier). They do it by unbalancing the balanced modulator when in transmit. Further, some designs turn off the BFO and switch to a wide filter during receive (the Drake TR-7 is a good example of this), while others (Cubic for one) leave it on and use the SSB filter. None of these low-level-modulated-AM rigs vary the carrier power as a function of applied modulation, so it's easy to make them sound "muddy" by the use of too much mic gain.

If one can move the audio injection point from the BFO to the RF PA pre-driver stage or come up with a way to increase carrier power with modulation (a la Drake's 'controlled-carrier modulation' scheme), one can make a multimode sound very nice on AM. With pre-driver modulation you're also benefiting from no pass-band filtering of the transmitted RF envelope so the only limiting factor with the rig's high-frequency AF response will be with the modulation circuit itself.

Unfortunately you cannot run more than 100% modulation on positive peaks with any low-level-modulation scheme...lest ye splatter.

Best way to use a stock multimode on AM is to run ~25w carrier - NO ALC - and adjust the mic gain for a slight upwards flicker of the power output meter on voice peaks. I highly recommend using a monitor scope to check the transmitted waveform in any case.

'AMI: What make/mode of trap gun do you have? I'm currently shooting a Benelli SuperSport.

KK4AMI
04-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Oh, I've butchered a few in my day ... :snicker:

The trick (and the catch) to getting decent AM output from your typical multi-mode is all in how the signal is generated - and where the modulation is introduced. Most modern all-mode rigs actually transmit AME (exalted carrier AM, or one sideband with carrier). They do it by unbalancing the balanced modulator when in transmit. Further, some designs turn off the BFO and switch to a wide filter during receive (the Drake TR-7 is a good example of this), while others (Cubic for one) leave it on and use the SSB filter. None of these low-level-modulated-AM rigs vary the carrier power as a function of applied modulation, so it's easy to make them sound "muddy" by the use of too much mic gain.

If one can move the audio injection point from the BFO to the RF PA pre-driver stage or come up with a way to increase carrier power with modulation (a la Drake's 'controlled-carrier modulation' scheme), one can make a multimode sound very nice on AM. With pre-driver modulation you're also benefiting from no pass-band filtering of the transmitted RF envelope so the only limiting factor with the rig's high-frequency AF response will be with the modulation circuit itself.

Unfortunately you cannot run more than 100% modulation on positive peaks with any low-level-modulation scheme...lest ye splatter.

Best way to use a stock multimode on AM is to run ~25w carrier - NO ALC - and adjust the mic gain for a slight upwards flicker of the power output meter on voice peaks. I highly recommend using a monitor scope to check the transmitted waveform in any case.

'AMI: What make/mode of trap gun do you have? I'm currently shooting a Benelli SuperSport.

Hmm. I gotta chew on all that info for a while. My Cubic does have the AME mode.

I have a Remington 90-T. I bought it while living in Dayton, Ohio. The ATA and I left Vandalia at about the same time. I haven't shot trap in 10 years, so I figured it was time to sell it.

N8YX
04-01-2011, 09:33 AM
The ATA and I left Vandalia at about the same time. I haven't shot trap in 10 years, so I figured it was time to sell it.
As much as I enjoy breaking birds, I simply don't enjoy the foofery which accompanies the big, sanctioned matches. Thus, I seek out the smaller clubs whose trap/skeet/clays match participants are just out to have fun.

The Ohio 'state champ' - Bill Mayer - shoots at the club which I'm a member of, and that's about as high-falutin' as it gets there. He's better with a beat-to-sh!t Rem870 than most of the Perazzi/Kreighoff fanbois are with their $40k wunderguns, but that doesn't make them any less proud of their purchases. :rofl:

KK4AMI
04-01-2011, 09:45 AM
As much as I enjoy breaking birds, I simply don't enjoy the foofery which accompanies the big, sanctioned matches. Thus, I seek out the smaller clubs whose trap/skeet/clays match participants are just out to have fun.

The Ohio 'state champ' - Bill Mayer - shoots at the club which I'm a member of, and that's about as high-falutin' as it gets there. He's better with a beat-to-sh!t Rem870 than most of the Perazzi/Kreighoff fanbois are with their $40k wunderguns, but that doesn't make them any less proud of their purchases. :rofl:

I started with an old Remington Model 31D Trap. I shot very well with it until I broke the slide. Then I ordered the 90-T. I liked the competition. I do it here in Virginia, but now its just NRA Rifle. No money in it like trap! My home field was Wright Patterson Rod & Gun Club. That was a good club.

NQ6U
04-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Hmm. I gotta chew on all that info for a while. My Cubic does have the AME mode.

I have a Remington 90-T. I bought it while living in Dayton, Ohio. The ATA and I left Vandalia at about the same time. I haven't shot trap in 10 years, so I figured it was time to sell it.

Nice shotgun; if I had the money, I'd make you an offer. Busting birds was my favorite thing to do with a gun but I never really enjoyed the whole gun club scene so I usually did my trap shooting with a buddy in a more informal setting. Then I met my XYL and moved down to southern CA and haven't picked up a gun since 1994. I sold off most of them to finance my ham radio hobby, all except a Ruger Model 77-22 .22LR bolt-action rifle that I really love and my Mossberg 500 home protection device.

KK4AMI
04-02-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks. Since I got married I've been reducing my gun collection to. I figured Ham Gear was a good trade.

N8YX
04-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks. Since I got married I've been reducing my gun collection to. I figured Ham Gear was a good trade.
:wtf:

:wtf::wtf:

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

I got hitched to 'DSG and my collection has seriously begun to increase, at her urging. You might be doing it wrong...

WX7P
04-02-2011, 06:47 PM
That'll get you into a nice 761 easily.

Really? Hmmm.

WX7P
04-02-2011, 06:47 PM

I got hitched to 'DSG and my collection has seriously begun to increase, at her urging. You might be doing it wrong...

I can verify. Oh yeah.

WX7P
04-02-2011, 06:58 PM
These may be a little too old for you, but what about a Kenwood TS-430s or TS-930s?

I had both back in the '80's. The receiver on the 930 was tremendous. Depending on how serious you are as an SWL, you could probably use the the 930 and get rid of your R71A.

If you look hard enough, you can find a 430S for less than $300 with the AM/FM board. It's general coverage with the ham bands, of course, and is a great field day radio.

I found one at our local Sacramento weekly flea market for $50 that worked fine. Gave it to my brother.

Another cheapie is the Yaesu FT-757. Another small ham band/general coverage receiver. I've seen those sold with the matching power supply/speaker for around $300 used. 1985 vintage, but they work pretty well.

KK4AMI
04-02-2011, 10:24 PM
These may be a little too old for you, but what about a Kenwood TS-430s or TS-930s?

I had both back in the '80's. The receiver on the 930 was tremendous. Depending on how serious you are as an SWL, you could probably use the the 930 and get rid of your R71A.

If you look hard enough, you can find a 430S for less than $300 with the AM/FM board. It's general coverage with the ham bands, of course, and is a great field day radio.

I found one at our local Sacramento weekly flea market for $50 that worked fine. Gave it to my brother.

Another cheapie is the Yaesu FT-757. Another small ham band/general coverage receiver. I've seen those sold with the matching power supply/speaker for around $300 used. 1985 vintage, but they work pretty well.

Thank you for your input. I guess a follow on question would be, "Should I buy on ebay or wait for Hamfests? Which is usually cheaper? I do like looking at stuff before I buy it.

WX7P
04-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Thank you for your input. I guess a follow on question would be, "Should I buy on ebay or wait for Hamfests? Which is usually cheaper? I do like looking at stuff before I buy it.

Hamfests or through word of mouth is almost always cheaper. If you're not a big "condition queen" (someone who needs the radio to be cosmetically perfect) you can get a perfectly functional radio that may have a scratch or two for less money. My feeling is a radio is supposed to be used and there are going to be a few dings.

Go to a few hamfests and look around a little. I'm going to one tomorrow in Livermore, CA. I'd like to find a cheap beat up functional HF tuner for a spare.

Good luck looking around. It's really fun.

W5GA
04-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Really? Hmmm.
Yeah...won't do a 765 for that, but a 761 should be doable. I sold one a couple years ago for $575 IIRC.

KJ3N
04-03-2011, 04:08 PM

My opinion (and probably worth what you're paying for it):

Unless you know exactly what you're getting into, NEVER buy your first used radio from Ebay.

If you buy at a hamfest, make sure that the person you're buying from is local (less than 50 miles from where you live), just in case there is a problem. Always ask to have the radio demonstrated as being in working condition, whenever possible.

YMMV

N8YX
04-04-2011, 06:53 AM
My opinion (and probably worth what you're paying for it):

Unless you know exactly what you're getting into, NEVER buy your first used radio from Ebay.

If you buy at a hamfest, make sure that the person you're buying from is local (less than 50 miles from where you live), just in case there is a problem. Always ask to have the radio demonstrated as being in working condition, whenever possible.

YMMV
+ a bunch.

My preference is for local sales, so a prospective buyer can see what they're getting and have any questions answered up front.

That being said, eBay can yield some real finds IF you're willing to go after the stuff which is listed as 'not working' and you're handy with a soldering iron.

W3WN
04-06-2011, 09:51 AM

I got hitched to 'DSG and my collection has seriously begun to increase, at her urging. You might be doing it wrong...You suddenly bring to mind the old joke about the politician who was asked what he thought his wife would say if he ever "fooled around" on her.

His response was on the lines of his last vision would be seeing his wife standing over him, asking someone "now, how do you reload this thing?"

X-Rated
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
My 2 cents....

I have an AM receiver filter for the FT-840 I could part with. Personally, HF fidelity is not by bag although I am a moderator on the Hi Fi SSB group on Yahoo. I will place the FT-840 into SSB to receive the AM signals. This increases the treble portion of the sound. I personally love the FT-840. No 6M however.

The FT-450 has 6M and it works well. They now have the FT-450D which can have CW filters added. I personally had no issues with the FT-450 as it was without the CW crystal filters. The DSP works very well. I would recommend this one if you need 6M.

The TS-480HX is a great radio with one exception. The roofing filter is too wide and there was a lot of desensing that took place on the CW bands. I could not live with that and parted with my TS-480HX. But if you don't do CW, I really had no issues with desensing on the phone portions. This does allow for 200W on 160 through 10M and 100W on 6M. There are 2 power supply cables for the HX version. If you actually use 2 power supplies, you need to match them closely. You can run the radio at 100W with a good 20A supply.

Good luck.

KK4AMI
04-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Hamfest hunting would be my preferred method of obtaining a radio and so far the FT-450 sounds like the way to go. Thank you for the help. Can't wait for the Hamfest season to get underway in Virginia.

X-Rated
04-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Hamfest hunting would be my preferred method of obtaining a radio and so far the FT-450 sounds like the way to go. Thank you for the help. Can't wait for the Hamfest season to get underway in Virginia.

I have attended hamfests around here and have seen times when there are very few HF radios. Lots of accessories.

The FT-450 is very good. There is the FT-450, The FT-450AT and the FT-450D. The D and the AT models have a built in antenna tuner. These tuners have a 3:1 matching capability meaning if your antenna is already 3:1 or less, it will tune it. The AT version works pretty well at that.

I have had pretty good luck finding radios on teh Zed. (QRZ) If you can wait until the hamfest, I would go to that and see what your options are. I would go there looking for a specific solution. If you cannot find an FT-450, think about an FT897 or something similar. I like Yaesu's. You have to find out what brand you like. Since you do not want to spend a ton of money, Ten Tec is probably out.

WØTKX
04-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Ten Tec can be inexpensive. My Omni-D's are surprisingly decent. A cosmetically "not perfect" one can be had for $250 or less. But they are old enough that only one has the WARC bands, and the 9Mhz IF in the "C" has issues on 17 meters. I still want an original Corsair. For no damn good reason, mostly I find it to be a very neat looking radio. I sure don't need it. Fighting the urge to start a Ten Tec Museum. With 4 of their transceivers, and 3 of their transverters, I'm losing.

That being said, I've played with FT-450, and it's pretty nice. Listenable receiver with a decent speaker, and cool looking. Love the display, it's Hamsexy.

X-Rated
04-06-2011, 01:23 PM
That being said, I've played with FT-450, and it's pretty nice... and cool looking. Love the display, it's Hamsexy.

I think the 450 is the ugliest radio ever made. But it did perform well for me.

WØTKX
04-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm sure this is ugly too... :mrgreen:

http://www.collectibles-articles.com/antique/collectible-image-large/ten-tec-corsair-hf-transceiver_290539751745.jpg

Edit: OK fine, this is a better picture anyway. ;)

KK4AMI
04-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Just happens to be an FT-450 for sale on ebay and its in Richmond, VA. I just looked up the guy on QRZ. In his write up section he mentions the fact that he never grounds his equipment. In fact he had to move his stuff from the second floor to his garage to ground it properly. He also got a new radio in Dec and this FT-450 has just been sitting in the box since then. Hmmm, wonder what might be wrong with the radio?

X-Rated
04-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Just happens to be an FT-450 for sale on ebay and its in Richmond, VA. I just looked up the guy on QRZ. In his write up section he mentions the fact that he never grounds his equipment. In fact he had to move his stuff from the second floor to his garage to ground it properly. He also got a new radio in Dec and this FT-450 has just been sitting in the box since then. Hmmm, wonder what might be wrong with the radio?

Sounds like it needs a new home in VA.

WØTKX
04-06-2011, 02:56 PM
You'll like it, but rumor has it it's an ugly radio. :mrgreen:

KK4AMI
04-06-2011, 03:11 PM
You'll like it, but rumor has it it's an ugly radio. :mrgreen:

Ugly is no problem. Guess I could save some money though and just talk to my mirror! :)

NQ6U
04-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm a sucker for those old Drake twins myself.

KG4CGC
04-06-2011, 10:10 PM

http://www.collectibles-articles.com/antique/collectible-image-large/ten-tec-corsair-hf-transceiver_290539751745.jpg

That's a fine rig. Extraordinary receiver. No need for DSP.

WØTKX
04-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Ja, you have one right? Damn fine looking rig.

Even beats my tricked out (Inrad 400 installed) TS-850 on Sherwood Engineering's Receiver Test Data Page.

The new Flex is 3000 here is pretty amazing. I found the TS-850 a little less fatiguing to listen to,
but I keep messing with the PowerSDR software settings and other quirks, I'm not so sure anymore.

Be neat if a good test of "listen-ability" could be done. Any radio that hisses too much is a bummer.

Well, except for old school regenerative and super-regenerative radios, 'cause they are just retro cool.

KG4CGC
04-06-2011, 10:59 PM
I do receive many unsolicited audio reports. I tried an outboard filtering unit, Autek QF-1A and it is useless with the Corsair. The notch tuning and bandpass tuning take care of everything, when needed. On other rigs, the outboard filter is necessary.

W5GA
04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm a sucker for those old Drake twins myself.
Yeah, they are most cool. My second rig was a B line, then a heavily modded C line (had QSK, and a bunch of Sherwood mods. ROCKED on CW). Now I'm on an Omni-6.

2 more weeks, and I can mount the tower on the base plate.....WOOT!!

WØTKX
04-07-2011, 12:22 AM
The problem with most outboard audio DSP units is they have a narrow passband in voice modes.
Well, the BHI DSP is pretty cool with voice. My MFJ-1784B is OK for narrow DX audio... weak SSB.

You can program (via front panel confusion) the heck out of the MFJ, but fully wide open is too narrow.

KG4CGC
04-07-2011, 12:41 AM
The problem with most outboard audio DSP units is they have a narrow passband in voice modes.
Well, the BHI DSP is pretty cool with voice. My MFJ-1784B is OK for narrow DX audio... weak SSB.

You can program (via front panel confusion) the heck out of the MFJ, but fully wide open is too narrow.
It's a fantastic rig.

WØTKX
04-07-2011, 12:46 AM
I hate you, and gnash my teeth in jealousy. :rofl:

KG4CGC
04-07-2011, 01:20 AM
I hate you, and gnash my teeth in jealousy. :rofl:
Well, if it makes you feel any better, it doesn't have general coverage receive which is something I miss in the 570. Even the Longwave receive was better than average in that rig.

WØTKX
04-07-2011, 01:21 AM
A lot of Ten Tec radios were ham band only, till later.

KG4CGC
04-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Yep.

W2NAP
04-09-2011, 03:58 PM
comparing the 718 vs the ft-950, ft-950 wins hands down. but with the ft-950 you will get 6 meters

NQ6U
04-09-2011, 04:09 PM
comparing the 718 vs the ft-950, ft-950 wins hands down. but with the ft-950 you will get 6 meters

True, but that's a bit of apples vs. oranges. The FT-950 costs $400 more than the IC-718.

WØTKX
04-09-2011, 04:11 PM
With Six You Get Eggroll? :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/a1RVXpiffLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1RVXpiffLk&feature=related

KG4CGC
04-09-2011, 04:47 PM
With Six You Get Eggroll?
Every time you say "eggroll" someone has to say "Happy Ending."

NQ6U
04-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Are those hippies or beatniks? They don't seem to be able to make up their minds.

W2NAP
04-09-2011, 06:55 PM
True, but that's a bit of apples vs. oranges. The FT-950 costs $400 more than the IC-718.

believe it or not. its well worth the extra $400

NQ6U
04-09-2011, 09:50 PM
believe it or not. its well worth the extra $400

I'm not arguing that it isn't—the 950 is a very nice radio and I was the one who introduced it into this particular discussion in the first place.

W1GUH
04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
What is the removable panel for?

Apologies if this was already answered -- I didn't see a reply.

They make it a LOT easier to put the radio in your car. You can mount the FP easily, even with those GPS holders at Radio Shack. Put it where you can see the display without taking your eyes off the road, and use a remote mic for primary control of the radio.

The rest of the radio can go anywhere....under the seat works for me.

W1GUH
04-19-2011, 11:36 AM

Double Take!!!!!

They get cabinets and front panels in a liquidation sale from Drake?

X-Rated
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM

I think the Corsair is a beautiful rig. I even like the FT-450 operation. It's design is just fugly.

http://thurstun.com/FT-450%20latest%20cropped%20w.jpg

I can't help it.