EB-10-GB-0153

Dear Mr. Visser:

By email dated January 10, 2011, the Commission notified you that it had
received numerous complaints of interference by your station to the Possum
Net. The complaints alleged that during the ongoing interference, one of
the Net control operators called your home phone number and keyed his
microphone while you answered the call. During that call you admitted that
you had been deliberately interfering with the Net for some time. This
conversation went out live to all of the participants in the Net.

You responded to the Commission's email on January 21, 2011, via letter.
In that letter, you acknowledged that you did indeed interfere with the
Net and noted that you went to the Net, admitted that you had been
interfering and stated that you would cease your interfering activities
immediately. In addition, in your letter to me you further took full
responsibility for your actions, admitted to poor judgment and apologized
for your part in the incident.

Your operation as described above is contrary to the basis and purpose of
the amateur radio service as set out in Section 97.1 of the Commission's
rules and a violation of Section 97.101(d). Please be advised that the
Commission expects you to abide by its rules. This letter serves as notice
that, if operation of this type reoccurs after receipt of this letter, you
could be subject to severe penalties, including license revocation,

monetary forfeiture (fines), or a modification proceeding to restrict the
frequencies upon which you may operate.

N8YX
03-31-2011, 07:22 AM
The person in question had been caught interfering with the Liberty Net, IIRC.

And now the Possums?

Sounds like a Butterfly Net candidate to me. :nuts:

N9FE
03-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Fred: Mr Visser has been a known jammer for years. The 75-80 meter has been getting better. Stay tuned.. More jerks to follow ! Thankfully Laura is doing her job.

N8YX
03-31-2011, 08:31 AM
The 75-80 meter has been getting better. Stay tuned..
Any time I'm in the shack and have receivers on, one is tuned to ~3842KHz and another to 3910KHz. A third prowls the band looking for other things of interest.

Funny thing, though: No one (and I mean no one) seems to be jamming the Liberty Net these days.

K7SGJ
03-31-2011, 08:44 AM
I bet his hands sting from that slappin.
I'd like to see a little stronger sanction from Laura & Co.

KJ3N
03-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Any time I'm in the shack and have receivers on, one is tuned to ~3842KHz and another to 3910KHz. A third prowls the band looking for other things of interest.

Generally, I won't waste my time above 3800. :roll:

N8YX
03-31-2011, 08:52 AM
I have enough receivers to go around. Trust me. ;)

WØTKX
03-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Possums have been left alone lately.

Been fun talking to 'em instead of giving up 'cause of the Qwarmer Patrol.

X-Rated
03-31-2011, 09:55 AM
W9ART

KJ3N
03-31-2011, 10:14 AM
I have enough receivers to go around. Trust me. ;)

Even if I had extra receivers (and I do), I wouldn't waste my time. :roll:

N8YX
03-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Even if I had extra receivers (and I do), I wouldn't waste my time. :roll:
Many lulz are to be had in certain areas of the bands when you're not actively on-the-air. Makes for interesting background noise. Beats the old coots discussing their latest ailments, or how far up their arses Nurse Ratched was able to get her arm during their last "bi-yearly procedure".

VE7DCW
03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
W9ART ....the infamous Liberty net Jammer .....geeeez I honestly thought the guy died years ago :wtf:

N8YX
03-31-2011, 11:16 AM
W9ART ....the infamous Liberty net Jammer .....geeeez I honestly thought the guy died years ago :wtf:
I think his contemporary David Kastle passed on not too long ago, and IIRC Sid the Lid shuffled off in 2005.

N9FE
03-31-2011, 01:06 PM
The FCC has there hands full with 3.910 Thats a regular friggin war with the east coast bunch.

X-Rated
03-31-2011, 01:10 PM
One jerk over the line, sweet Jesus
One jerk over the line.
Sittin' downtown with Pee Wee Herman
One jerk over the line.

WØTKX
03-31-2011, 07:11 PM

Funny thing, though: No one (and I mean no one) seems to be jamming the Liberty Net these days.

You got an amp running on 75 now? I did not know you monitored those spots.

Last week, we did poetry readings on the Possum Net. Great FUN!

I read this one by Ferlinghetti, and the Beatniks snapped fingers in approval. :mrgreen:

The dog trots freely in the street
and sees reality
and the things he sees
are bigger than himself
and the things he sees
are his reality
Drunks in doorways
Moons on trees
The dog trots freely thru the street
and the things he sees
are smaller than himself
Fish on newsprint
Ants in holes
Chickens in Chinatown windows
their heads a block away
and the things he smells
smell something like himself
past puddles and babies
cats and cigars
poolrooms and policemen
He doesn't hate cops
He merely has no use for them
and he goes past them
and past the dead cows hung up whole
in front of the San Francisco Meat Market
He would rather eat a tender cow
than a tough policeman
though either might do
And he goes past the Romeo Ravioli Factory
and past Coit's Tower
and past Congressman Doyle of the Unamerican Committee
He's afraid of Coit's Tower
but he's not afraid of Congressman Doyle
although what he hears is very discouraging
very depressing
very absurd
to a sad young dog like himself
to a serious dog like himself
But he has his own free world to live in
His own fleas to eat
He will not be muzzled
Congressman Doyle is just another
fire hydrant
to him
and has his own dog's life to live
and to think about
and to reflect upon
touching and tasting and testing everything
investigating everything
without benefit of perjury
a real realist
with a real tale to tell
and a real tail to tell it with
a real live
barking
democratic dog
engaged in real
free enterprise
with something to say
about ontology
something to say
about reality
and how to see it
and how to hear it
with his head cocked sideways
at streetcorners
as if he is just about to have
his picture taken
for Victor Records
listening for
His Master's Voice
and looking
like a living questionmark
into the
great gramophone
of puzzling existence
with its wondrous hollow horn
which always seems
just about to spout forth
some Victorious answer
to everything

N2CHX
03-31-2011, 07:15 PM
What the eff is the Liberty Net?

WØTKX
03-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Can be interesting, but a lot of otherwise intelligent misguided folks there. Some nights it's more tolerant.

http://3950.net/ Saturday nights can get pretty wild.

http://3950.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Liberty-Net-gold-microphone.jpg

X-Rated
03-31-2011, 09:35 PM
What the eff is the Liberty Net?

If you have to ask, you might want to rethink asking. But, if you are really into right wing talk to the max, you could really get into that and have a great time.

WØTKX
03-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Sometimes I poke holes in a premise there, it's pretty easily done.

Really lulzy when I do it with an Ayn Rand quote.

Usually I just listen, and critique elsewhere.

N2CHX
04-01-2011, 05:19 AM
If you have to ask, you might want to rethink asking. But, if you are really into right wing talk to the max, you could really get into that and have a great time.

Ummmmmmmm................................. NO!

And surprise, surprise, the "liberty" net is exactly what I figured it was, but was hoping it wasn't.

N8YX
04-01-2011, 06:34 AM
You got an amp running on 75 now? I did not know you monitored those spots.
Yeah - an IC-2KL and AT-500 combo. I'm hoping to get the eastern end of my low-band antenna elevated by a few more feet so that may help out.

Most times when I'm on 3842, 'IXT and his cast of followers (including QRMers) have the frequency tied up until after 11PM EST - so if any Possums are around during the Marconi Net it'll be a struggle to hear them.

WØTKX
04-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Possums show up at about 1-2AM your time, or at least I don't check till then.

For the reasons you mentioned. Last few nights have been mellow.

W3WN
04-01-2011, 10:15 AM
So what you guys seem to be saying is, that on any given night, on that frequency, depending on the time...

Give me Liberty, or give me... Possums.

WØTKX
04-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Pretty much. :lol: I wander into groups that are pleasant without QRMers, this is a "moving target".

Actually, I've been hanging out on 3922 (Geezers with tweezers), 3913 (Wisconsin and MN, sounds like home), and 3810 "Thumpers", playing with ESSB. Audio foolery is fun. But I'll hang out anywhere that is pleasant, and lulzy.

W2NAP
04-01-2011, 10:23 PM
damn i need a HF rig

W3WN
04-02-2011, 08:43 AM
damn i need a HF rigSo?

X-Rated
04-02-2011, 08:46 AM
So what you guys seem to be saying is, that on any given night, on that frequency, depending on the time...

Give me Liberty, or give me... Possums.

I'm really not at Liberty to say.

W2NAP
04-02-2011, 12:05 PM
So?

im missing all the exciting live action jammers

WØTKX
04-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Online RX will get you that. Jammers suck. I like high spirited discussions with friends, and it gets a little rowdy.

Jammers suck no matter how talented at it. Even on 11 meters, it's not funny or even interesting.

W2NAP
04-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Online RX will get you that. Jammers suck. I like high spirited discussions with friends, and it gets a little rowdy.

Jammers suck no matter how talented at it. Even on 11 meters, it's not funny or even interesting.

i know. ;)

online RX honestly isnt the same to me. just like to me echolink isnt ham radio.

W3WN
04-02-2011, 08:07 PM
im missing all the exciting live action jammers
Well, not to sound like a smartass or anything, but... get a rig?

W2NAP
04-02-2011, 08:35 PM

been working on it.. well trying to.

N9FE
04-03-2011, 06:34 AM

But Dave as you know these jammers have nothing else. There far to stupid and a wet blanket to become, or be part of the conversation. So they have to be an idiot, Cause they have nothing else.

W2NAP
04-03-2011, 03:13 PM

BTW wish me luck if all goes well and goes though i could have a TS-430 soon

NQ6U
04-03-2011, 03:26 PM

Not meaning to make a comment one way or another on the TS-430 but I checked out the eHam reviews for that rig and came across something you might enjoy:

A lot of hams dislike the TS-430s because of it's reputation of dry joints, bad via's etc.. Here is my take on it: Any guy with a bit of patience, and a bit of tech. savvy can restore them to their former well performing glory.
Here is why I say this:
I recently purchased for a small price, a very sad looking TS-430s from a ham at the coast. It had been for sale for over 3 years-nobody wanted it-it was very much neglected , rusted and not working-even the plated knobs and mic. socket was GREEN with oxidisation!.
Daunting to say the least..
So having jumped off the deep end I decided since I have nothing to lose-this rig will get a proper once-over.. I removed the covers, removed the 'S'-meter and coin cell, popped the whole rig in the dishwasher!..After the washing cycle was done, rig was dried with a compressor, then a blow heater was used to further dry any wayward moisture. After this was done, the PA was repaired, I installed new MRF454 trannies, all the ovious dry joints and via's were resoldered.
All moving parts; fan, pots etc were re-lubricated.
Then the other PCB's were inspected and resoldered, plugs were removed with lubricating contact cleaner and re-seated.
Front face had to be epoxied to fix chips out of it and painted, the covers were sanded to bare metal and resprayed.
After getting the rig working, the alignment was done, and bias set..
She works VERY well now!..

If ANY rig in that state can still work that well, after being that abused-then it is GOOD!Hence my Rating of 5.
Would not have expected any less from a Kenwood.

William
ZS4L / ZS5WC

KJ3N
04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Most of today's generation of hams wouldn't know which end of a hot soldering iron to pick up. :roll:

W2NAP
04-03-2011, 04:11 PM
KJ6BSO - yea i seen that review. from what i can tell its not a bad rig

KJ3N - your very correct

W3WN
04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Nice rig. I enjoyed mine while I had it. GL!

W2NAP
04-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Nice rig. I enjoyed mine while I had it. GL!

if all goes well ill have it tuse. wed at the latest. then ill just have to rig up a dipole in here

KA5PIU
04-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Hello.

Liberty net.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Goebbels
One would feel that they go hand in hand.
I have never transmitted on the Liberty net, I have standards, however low. ;)

VE7DCW
04-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Hello.

Liberty net.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Goebbels
One would feel that they go hand in hand.
I have never transmitted on the Liberty net, I have standards, however low. ;)

Well Rudy .... one of the most intelligent things i've seen you post in a long time!

.....true I say "to each their own" but the Liberty net in a strange sense had it's entertainment value!! :rofl:

WØTKX
04-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Lots of strange entertainments... ;)

w3bny
04-04-2011, 01:55 PM
FWIW... A search on Liberty Net or trying to go to the Liberty Net's website earns you a PROHIBITED WEBSITE notice on your browser here at Acme Labs.

WØTKX
04-04-2011, 02:01 PM
And this surprises you? :lol:

W2NAP
04-04-2011, 02:27 PM
kenwood ts-430 is on the way

W3WN
04-04-2011, 03:06 PM
kenwood ts-430 is on the waySolid rig for it's day. Assuming no damage, it should serve you well.

And I'm sure you know this, but... unless you like the cosmetics, don't bother with the matching PS. An Astron RS-20A will do just fine. IIRC, new the Kenwood matching supply sold for $199 list price, the Kenwood 'generic' supply sold for $149, and the Astron for $99. And it's not exactly a coincidence that the generic supply looked suspiciously like an Astron with the power switch on the other side...

W5RB
04-04-2011, 03:12 PM
FWIW... A search on Liberty Net or trying to go to the Liberty Net's website earns you a PROHIBITED WEBSITE notice on your browser here at Acme Labs.

Is that where Wile E. Coyote gets all his goodies ?

N8YX
04-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Should the website owner remove Mr. Strom's contributions and observations, that might change.

WØTKX
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Mr. Strom is a weirdo. Ask his ex-wife.

W2NAP
04-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Solid rig for it's day. Assuming no damage, it should serve you well.

And I'm sure you know this, but... unless you like the cosmetics, don't bother with the matching PS. An Astron RS-20A will do just fine. IIRC, new the Kenwood matching supply sold for $199 list price, the Kenwood 'generic' supply sold for $149, and the Astron for $99. And it's not exactly a coincidence that the generic supply looked suspiciously like an Astron with the power switch on the other side...

yea but i got the rig and the kenwood supply together for 375 shipped to me. so all is well.

KA5PIU
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Hello.

Unusual ideas, but 3.950 is kind of like 14.275 in reverse.
Both are odd, just on opposite ends of the scale.
I have talked to Karol Madera at one point, if only to try and understand him.
After that, and the local (San Antonio) 146.52MHz, I decided to stay away from the really really odd parts of society.
And all 3 frequencies given fall into that really really odd class with ease! ;)

W2NAP
04-05-2011, 12:20 PM
welp got my ts-430s. now i got to dig up some coax around somewhere and get a little dipole

W3WN
04-05-2011, 02:36 PM
yea but i got the rig and the kenwood supply together for 375 shipped to me. so all is well.Not a bad deal. Not bad at all.

Enjoy!

W2NAP
04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Not a bad deal. Not bad at all.

Enjoy!

dont have a "real" antenna up in the room yet. but with just a chunk of rg8 gater clipped to a 8ft wire. picked up a asian sw station around 12meg

NQ6U
04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
First one to log a QSO with Tony wins.

W2NAP
04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
First one to log a QSO with Tony wins.

its a possibility when 10 is open... 1st got to get a real antenna up here in the room

W3WN
04-05-2011, 07:56 PM
dont have a "real" antenna up in the room yet. but with just a chunk of rg8 gater clipped to a 8ft wire. picked up a asian sw station around 12megWhat did you have in mind for an antenna?

The way that 10, 12, and 15 have started to open up lately, you won't need much.

And with Memorial Day coming up, your local Home Depot will have 15 foot antennas, er, flag poles on sale cheap.

W2NAP
04-06-2011, 02:12 AM
im very restricted on what i can put up. so ill be stuck with a 10m dipole in the room.

i took me rg8 i had and piece together 2 8ft chunks of wire i had. tacked one to the center and other to the shield of the coax.. hoped id get lucky and it would work.. but it didnt. so now im stuck in parts mode

W3WN
04-06-2011, 09:09 AM
im very restricted on what i can put up. so ill be stuck with a 10m dipole in the room.

i took me rg8 i had and piece together 2 8ft chunks of wire i had. tacked one to the center and other to the shield of the coax.. hoped id get lucky and it would work.. but it didnt. so now im stuck in parts modeUm. That can be tough, but again, with the high bands starting to open up a little... just wait a few more years for the sun spots to kick in as well.

Forgive me if I don't recall your situation... can you put up a flag pole? I've come across some 16 to 26 foot tall fiberglass flag poles, and I'm reconsidering my inital plans (I have 26 feet of aluminum masts sitting in the garage, waiting) and may switch to one of these -- with a wire run up the center. Add a tuner and a decent radial system, and it should work fairly well on 40 and up. Well, at least 40 thru 20, maybe thru 17, we'll see.

Do you have access to an attic? You'd be amazed at what you can do with an attic antenna, even if it's just a crawl space. There's an apartment in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood that still (as far as I know) has an 80/40/20 loop, and a 108" whip with an 8 radial "ground plane" sitting in it... when I moved out, I didn't bother to squeeze up over the fridge to get into the attic to take them down. They weren't the greatest, but I did get out with them. Along with an old Ten-Tec tuner (still have) and my old TS-430S.

Just trying to think of something here... there may always be other options...

WØTKX
04-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Here's an interesting attic antenna...
http://www.standpipe.com/w2bri/article1.htm

http://www.standpipe.com/w2bri/images/article1/loop2small.jpg

NQ6U
04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Unusual feedpoint set-up:

http://www.standpipe.com/w2bri/images/article1/figure2.jpg

WØTKX
04-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Not at all, for so called "magnetic loops"...

NQ6U
04-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I haven't messed with magnetic loops at all so I never saw that before. It's interesting and certainly not one I would have thought of myself.

W2NAP
04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Um. That can be tough, but again, with the high bands starting to open up a little... just wait a few more years for the sun spots to kick in as well.

Forgive me if I don't recall your situation... can you put up a flag pole? I've come across some 16 to 26 foot tall fiberglass flag poles, and I'm reconsidering my inital plans (I have 26 feet of aluminum masts sitting in the garage, waiting) and may switch to one of these -- with a wire run up the center. Add a tuner and a decent radial system, and it should work fairly well on 40 and up. Well, at least 40 thru 20, maybe thru 17, we'll see.

Do you have access to an attic? You'd be amazed at what you can do with an attic antenna, even if it's just a crawl space. There's an apartment in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood that still (as far as I know) has an 80/40/20 loop, and a 108" whip with an 8 radial "ground plane" sitting in it... when I moved out, I didn't bother to squeeze up over the fridge to get into the attic to take them down. They weren't the greatest, but I did get out with them. Along with an old Ten-Tec tuner (still have) and my old TS-430S.

Just trying to think of something here... there may always be other options...

im living at my sisters house (one i move to NH ill be able to put up good stuff, but that could be another couple months) so living here for now. im stuck with a inside antenna, and the house here dont have a attic.

so all i can really work with is a small dipole. which will be stuck in the room here. im out of coax. and out of parts