PDA

View Full Version : Don't feel like research? Order your term paper online!

W5GA
03-29-2011, 03:42 PM
I can't believe this is real. No wonder education here sucks.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_17714669?nclick_check=1

NQ6U
03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Nothing new here, students lacking in scruples have been doing the same thing for generations. It's just a lot easier now, thanks to the World Wide Web. Of course, that also means that it's equally easy for the profs to search for possible plagiarism.

KA5PIU
03-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Hello.

When I was going to school I would "tutor" students all the time.
One guy really screwed up though, he handed me the outline and explained he needed the report by this date, as his instructor was walking by.
I was able to weasel out of it but he flunked the course.
It would not have been so bad except he was so insistent.
After that I got regular spot checks on my tutoring.

KG4CGC
03-29-2011, 08:32 PM
We should admire the entrepreneurial grit of the business model. True Capitalism. True Americanism.

ka8ncr
03-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Lucky for her she didn't submit it, she probably would have been thrown out of her course. One of the ladies in my last summer course was an undergrad and she commented that the university bounced a couple students from an American Studies course for using purchased papers.

I know the CS undergrads all have their source code kept for a few semesters to discourage people from helping their friends.

n2ize
03-30-2011, 01:28 AM
First and foremost this "student" got the ripoff she deserved. Not only was she being dishonorable by planning to buy and submit a work that she herself did not create but, she turned to an unscrupulous company who in turn ripped her off. Ironic justice perhaps ?

Along with a zero tolerance for cheating, more and more schools and departments are getting better and better at detecting plagiarism. Depending on the professor, the department, and the school itself the penalties can range from receiving a lowered grade to receiving a failing grade, to more severe punishment up to and including dismissal from the degree program and/or academic dismissal from the university. Not a good thing when you have invested many thousands of dollars in an education, spend many hours working towards a degree and then poof, it's all up in smoke because you were too lazy to do the work like everyone else.

W3WN
03-30-2011, 09:50 AM
First and foremost this "student" got the ripoff she deserved. Not only was she being dishonorable by planning to buy and submit a work that she herself did not create but, she turned to an unscrupulous company who in turn ripped her off. Ironic justice perhaps ?

Along with a zero tolerance for cheating, more and more schools and departments are getting better and better at detecting plagiarism. Depending on the professor, the department, and the school itself the penalties can range from receiving a lowered grade to receiving a failing grade, to more severe punishment up to and including dismissal from the degree program and/or academic dismissal from the university. Not a good thing when you have invested many thousands of dollars in an education, spend many hours working towards a degree and then poof, it's all up in smoke because you were too lazy to do the work like everyone else.Well, two things.

First, the company. If they advertise a service and guarantee a delivery time, and fail to deliver the product on time, then they owe a credit or a refund. So within that narrow scope, she has a case to get her money back... as it seems pretty clear she won't use this "service" again.

Second, the student. Numbskull. Let alone the ethics of committing to do the work, and then cutting corners because she doesn't have the time... I'm sympathetic that she's a busy mom and works part-time, but this was her choice to take the class and do the work. To not only contract with a less than reputable firm like this, but ADVERTISE to the entire school that you did so... you think any and every assignment she turns on from here on out will not be put under the microscope? She just put the Scarlet "P" for plagarism on her back. She may get away with it THIS time, since she may have had to turn in her own work... but she won't going forward. And I'd bet you apples to oranges that she'll gripe about getting hoist with her own petard.

Putz.

KC2UGV
03-30-2011, 09:55 AM
True capitalism, at it's heart. It's much like when I outsource research to be done, so I can move on to more important work. Let the research monkeys do it, I pay for commissioning the research, and then submit it to whomever I need to.

If anything, this young lady learned an important business lesson: When to outsource.

W5GA
03-30-2011, 10:10 AM
If anything, this young lady learned an important business lesson: When to outsource.
And who not to outsource with.

KC2UGV
03-30-2011, 10:24 AM
And who not to outsource with.

That too :)

n2ize
03-30-2011, 10:46 AM
True capitalism, at it's heart. It's much like when I outsource research to be done, so I can move on to more important work. Let the research monkeys do it, I pay for commissioning the research, and then submit it to whomever I need to.

Outsourcing is okay in a business context but not in an academic context where you are supposed to do your own work. First and foremost she has cheated herself. Second, she has cheated other students who did the required work themselves. Why should she get a passing grade for doing nothing when others had to work for their grade ? I have an attitude of zero tolerance for plagiarism. I would recommend this "student" be dismissed from the school. Businesses that capitalize on plagiarism should be shut down.

n2ize
03-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, two things.

First, the company. If they advertise a service and guarantee a delivery time, and fail to deliver the product on time, then they owe a credit or a refund. So within that narrow scope, she has a case to get her money back... as it seems pretty clear she won't use this "service" again.

Yeah, but she still got what she deserved for being a dishonest cheat. She got burned by someone even more dishonest. That is often the result of trying to find an easy way out.

Second, the student. Numbskull. Let alone the ethics of committing to do the work, and then cutting corners because she doesn't have the time... I'm sympathetic that she's a busy mom and works part-time, but this was her choice to take the class and do the work. To not only contract with a less than reputable firm like this, but ADVERTISE to the entire school that you did so... you think any and every assignment she turns on from here on out will not be put under the microscope? She just put the Scarlet "P" for plagarism on her back. She may get away with it THIS time, since she may have had to turn in her own work... but she won't going forward. And I'd bet you apples to oranges that she'll gripe about getting hoist with her own petard.

She should really be kicked out of school. But they'll probably give her a break if this is the first time.

KC2UGV
03-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Outsourcing is okay in a business context but not in an academic context where you are supposed to do your own work. First and foremost she has cheated herself. Second, she has cheated other students who did the required work themselves. Why should she get a passing grade for doing nothing when others had to work for their grade ? I have an attitude of zero tolerance for plagiarism. I would recommend this "student" be dismissed from the school. Businesses that capitalize on plagiarism should be shut down.

Isn't school just prep for the business world?

W3WN
03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah, but she still got what she deserved for being a dishonest cheat. She got burned by someone even more dishonest. That is often the result of trying to find an easy way out.

She should really be kicked out of school. But they'll probably give her a break if this is the first time.Oh, I don't disagree that she got burned, and in more than one way.

That she deserved to get burned is arguable... my point is that even if she deserved it (and for the record, I think she did), that doesn't justify the company actually doing so. That said, I doubt that even with the publicity, she'll get a full refund from an obviously ethically challenged firm like this. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it suddenly went out of business... and a new company with a very similar name, staff, and business model opened up their doors about the same time. Hell, dishonest contractors do that all the time to duck lawsuits.

Regarding school: Based on her own statements, if I were a school administrator, at the very least I'd put her on supervised probation. And I'm sure some school attorney is advising just that to avoid the lawsuit. What she deserves is expulsion, either for a few semesters, or for good. But that won't happen (for good, that is), someone will take pity on her, or she'll drop out of this school and enroll somewhere else -- and with a "clean" record and start over.

It's not right, and it should not be allowed, but that is the way of the world today. Actions should have consequences.

n2ize
03-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh, I don't disagree that she got burned, and in more than one way.

That she deserved to get burned is arguable... my point is that even if she deserved it (and for the record, I think she did), that doesn't justify the company actually doing so. That said, I doubt that even with the publicity, she'll get a full refund from an obviously ethically challenged firm like this. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it suddenly went out of business... and a new company with a very similar name, staff, and business model opened up their doors about the same time. Hell, dishonest contractors do that all the time to duck lawsuits.

Regarding school: Based on her own statements, if I were a school administrator, at the very least I'd put her on supervised probation. And I'm sure some school attorney is advising just that to avoid the lawsuit. What she deserves is expulsion, either for a few semesters, or for good. But that won't happen (for good, that is), someone will take pity on her, or she'll drop out of this school and enroll somewhere else -- and with a "clean" record and start over.

It's not right, and it should not be allowed, but that is the way of the world today. Actions should have consequences.

What happens mainly depends on the schools. Some schools have harsher penalties than others.

The other issue is that the schools themselves are getting better and better at detecting plagiarism. The schools are aware of these sites that offer term papers. many of them will sell of a copy of the same paper to students at different schools. Lots of schools are collecting databases of plagiarized works, establishing patterns and learning how to recognize possible plagiarism. A good professor will also note whether a students term paper matched up to other works done by the student such as essays written on exams and overall performance. Students who engage in plagiarism need to weigh their actions against the potential consequences. Is it worth losing all that time and money spend towards a degree simply because you don't want to do the work ?

What she should have done is spoken to her professor and explained her circumstances. Most often teachers will try and be understanding and accommodating to various issues a student may have. While she would still be required to do the work the professor might grant her an extension of time in which to get the work done. If she couldn't get any satisfaction talking to the professor she should have spoken with the department chairperson or the dean. Often they will consider a students hardships and try and work out a reasonable compromise.