PDA

View Full Version : Odd Missed Calls

WV6Z
03-28-2011, 05:19 PM
So I woke up today and had received three missed calls placed within and missed within precisely the same minute from the same Montana phone number.

Telemarketer that failed to notice my cell phone number is on the Do Not Call Register or an extra terrestrial threat? I think we know......... I think we know.........

ki4itv
03-28-2011, 05:24 PM
The aliens wouldn't be able to call us if we hadn't made the damn transition to digital.
f'ing progress is getting us way ahead of ourselves.

WV6Z
03-28-2011, 05:29 PM
I should have known better..... I thought that while sleeping I could actually rest without wearing my 'Rudy's Brand' tin foil hat, but NOOOOOOOO!........... those bastards!

KG4CGC
03-28-2011, 06:49 PM
It was Michelle Bachmann. Go back to sleep.

WØTKX
03-28-2011, 08:55 PM
It wasn't a sales call, it was for charity. Those piss me off too. It's my phone, leave me alone unless invited.

I feel the same way about my email addresses. Oh well. :rant:

KG4CGC
03-28-2011, 09:10 PM
It wasn't a sales call, it was for charity. Those piss me off too. It's my phone, leave me alone unless invited.

I feel the same way about my email addresses. Oh well. :rant:

I understand the feeling but this is nothing. In the future, they will advertise in your dreams. Your DREAMS man!

kd8dey
03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I posted that power supply I fixed on the local craigslist.
So far I have had a half dozen harassing calls recorded on my answering machine from one of the local CB Idiots thinking I am
one of their sworn enemies (New wave radio vs The Old farts war)

Calling me Blue balls, congratulating themselves for finding my phone number.... (I think they are referring to Blue Boy whom lives a block over) that I need to fix my POS radio etc with all sorts of retarded sound effects thrown in for good measure.

WØTKX
03-28-2011, 09:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RchZkX8j9TA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RchZkX8j9TA

KA5PIU
03-28-2011, 11:25 PM
I posted that power supply I fixed on the local craigslist.
So far I have had a half dozen harassing calls recorded on my answering machine from one of the local CB Idiots thinking I am
one of their sworn enemies (New wave radio vs The Old farts war)

Calling me Blue balls, congratulating themselves for finding my phone number.... (I think they are referring to Blue Boy whom lives a block over) that I need to fix my POS radio etc with all sorts of retarded sound effects thrown in for good measure.

Hello.

I had somewhat the same problem, except it was a pair of hams who got confused.

W3WN
03-29-2011, 07:57 AM

I feel the same way about my email addresses. Oh well. :rant:What I really hate are the ones who start off by telling me that they are NOT trying to sell me something or solicit a donation, therefore, the Do Not Call list rules don't apply. Bullschnikes. And, of course, if you fall for this routine, and waste 10 minutes on a survey, guess what they then try to do?

Equally as bad are the ones who simply say "OK" if that much, when you tell them that your number is on the Do Not Call registry, and then hang-up. I've been told that technically, since they didn't really acknowledge the instruction to cease calling you, they're not technically obligated to stop.

w3bny
03-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Meh.... they call here at work all the time. they guys find my phone call humor...amazing.

W2NAP
03-29-2011, 12:34 PM
What I really hate are the ones who start off by telling me that they are NOT trying to sell me something or solicit a donation, therefore, the Do Not Call list rules don't apply. Bullschnikes. And, of course, if you fall for this routine, and waste 10 minutes on a survey, guess what they then try to do?

Equally as bad are the ones who simply say "OK" if that much, when you tell them that your number is on the Do Not Call registry, and then hang-up. I've been told that technically, since they didn't really acknowledge the instruction to cease calling you, they're not technically obligated to stop.

tell them you are deputy martin from the county dept. and you are investigating your "murder" and proceed to start drilling them with questions related to "your murder"

kd8dey
03-29-2011, 01:07 PM
tell them you are deputy martin from the county dept. and you are investigating your "murder" and proceed to start drilling them with questions related to "your murder"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdoogjic4I

WØTKX
03-29-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm not usually in the mood, but I have asked those callers if they:

1) Are happy with their long distance carrier.

2) Would like Dish Network for free for three months.

3) Have the heartbreak of psoriasis.

4) Need a hug.

Do it in Special Ed's voice, of course. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbPtHlT2u48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbPtHlT2u48

kb2vxa
03-29-2011, 07:05 PM
That "do not call" registry is a joke, my number is on the list and still my answering machine logs up to 30 telemarketers and bill collector robots one after the other every day. The only way to keep from going buggy is to screen incoming calls, if it's someone I know I pick up, if not they're ignored.

N5RLR
03-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Caller ID and Zenith Zapper* ftw. I have neither time nor patience for telemarketers or their ilk. :angry:

[* -- Seizes the line, plays a message instructing the caller to remove the phone number from their records, then drops the connection.]

KA5PIU
03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Hello.

http://www.realmofdarkness.net/sounds/lg/it-soundboard.htm

W3WN
03-30-2011, 09:33 AM
That "do not call" registry is a joke, my number is on the list and still my answering machine logs up to 30 telemarketers and bill collector robots one after the other every day. The only way to keep from going buggy is to screen incoming calls, if it's someone I know I pick up, if not they're ignored.
I wouldn't call it a joke, it certainly has cut down on the phone spam considerably -- we get maybe 10% of what we used to, and most of the ones we get are political, which are exempt.

As far as the bill collectors go... if they are calling you, and it's the wrong person or wrong number, what you need to do is keep a log of who they are, when you talked with them, and what you told them. You need to inform them that they are to cease calling you or that you will sue them for lost time. Remind them that under federal law, they can be fined up to $1000 per call should they continue, to say nothing of harrasment charges. And if they continue, talk with a good lawyer -- and bill them for your time (with a markup for his time) and inform them that should they both fail to pay and fail to cease with the calls, you will take them to your local small claims (or equivalent) court. They will either pay you, or you will win a nice fat judgement.

Now, if you ask me how I know this, well, due to a non-disclosure agreement that was part of the settlement, I can't tell you.

kb2vxa
03-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Nah, they're deaf robots calling blind leaving callback numbers that aren't worth a toll call and a menu driven robotic runaround. They're both informative and entertaining, I know every deadbeat in the building past and present, then the text reader filling in the blanks butchers the hell out of names. I really get a chuckle out of one that doesn't know the guy has been dead more than 3 years.

W3WN
04-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Suit yourself.

But a rotten ambulance chaser, let alone a good lawyer, would get you a nice settlement. Just sayin'.

kc7jty
04-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I keep getting calls from "Credit Card Services"

http://complaintwire.org/Complaint.aspx/xbAfDVLggACBMAjLhO1iRg/3#pLWZwfnjO1gA7fgjNvwXpYg

I'm okicuru12, scroll down and read my comment.