PDA

View Full Version : Tested the loot of 2 days work.

PA5COR
03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
And I'm a happy chappie...

Worked Friday and Saturday to help a good M8 clear out a large shop that sold t.v's etc, and worked for the Dutch T.V. and went into receivership, 150 jobs lost.

I picked up:
Hitachi 4 channel 100MHz scope Model V 1100A
Philips PM 6456 FM stereo generator
Heathkit audio analyser im 4 B
Heathkit audio generator ie 72
AKG microphone ( xlr) D 58
Beyer microphone M 640 N ( xlr)
a score of color dome camera's with and without i.r. ( with i.r. 25 meters usable range)
Large camera dome with heaters ventilators etc, and camera control but without camera.
Lots of tools for the electronics person, Weller solder stations, portable soldering iron ( gas) etc, etc...
2 miles copper wire on several 100 meter rolls, single, multi core wire etc.
New Braun coffeemaker ( very important here)

The AKG microphone already replaced the MD - 1 from yaesu as microphone on the station feeding the EQplus.

Well spend weekend, all the stuff above tested and working, now looking on the net for some history of the both Heathkit's

:lol:

NQ6U
03-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Sounds like a great haul, Cor. But:

2 miles copper wire on several 100 meter rolls, single, multi core wire etc.

What does a Dutchman, living in a more advanced country, know about such an archaic unit of measurement as the mile? Don't you mean kilometer?

PA5COR
03-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Nah, miles, in rolls of 3oo+ feet :)
Working as pipefitter/TIG welder/ foreman you learn to read thee drawings if they are metric or in the " old" unit ;)

W3MIV
03-27-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm an old unit. :(

PA5COR
03-27-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm 58, long past the sell by date...

I'm an old unit. :(

NQ6U
03-27-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm 58, long past the sell by date...

Me too. Shop worn, damaged goods.

kd8dey
03-27-2011, 12:32 PM
4 channel 100mhz scope? color me :Jealous:

PA5COR
03-27-2011, 12:59 PM
It's analog, but on screen frequency counter, http://www.sglabs.it/public/SgLabs_Hitachi%20V1100A.pdf
Bonus, all were working even the Heathkit's with toobs ;)

PA5COR
03-27-2011, 01:08 PM
The Hitachi V1100 is a real powerhouse of a scope, with four 100-MHz channels and the ability to display up to eight traces, delayed sweep, and on-screen cursors and read-outs (including a frequency counter function). It is comparable in many respects to the Tektronix 2445.

A bit overkill for my needs ;)
http://www.sglabs.it/public/SgLabs_Hitachi%20V1100A.pdf

NQ6U
03-27-2011, 01:17 PM
I've got a Hitachi 20MHz dual trace scope. It's great for a lot of things but 100MHz would be real nice...

PA5COR
03-27-2011, 01:22 PM
I have my Hameg dual trace 30 MHz scope, this one will replace it, i think.... but as i said, mostly a 20 - 30 MHz dual trace is what we use most.
This Hitachi is of a totally different plane, overkill for what i mostly use the scope for.
I'll first have a twirl with is and see how i like it ;)

KA5PIU
03-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Hello.

I use an old Motorola service monitor that had a Telefunken CRT scope in it and was converted to LCD, giving me the example I needed to understand how this works.
Now there are a lot of projects out that allow you to build your own with everything from a TV to a computer.
Old scopes are plentiful and cheap if you look.
And, the conversion of the R-2200D service monitor is so totally cool!.
The original CRT was the entire section of the thing, front to rear.
The replacement LCD is but the very front section and is supplied with its own battery.
Battery for the service monitor itself was going bad and so I was provided with a pigtail and bracket to mount a common lead acid pack inside the battery box, much cheaper and the battery life is now unreal, 10 hours is not a problem.
I got the service monitor much the same way, from helping move stuff around.

KG4CGC
03-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Nice catch, Cor. We are all jealous. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

NQ6U
03-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Hello.

I use an old Motorola service monitor that had a Telefunken CRT scope in it and was converted to LCD [...]

Pictures (of you and the 'scope together) or it didn't happen.

KA5PIU
03-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Pictures (of you and the 'scope together) or it didn't happen.

Hello.

Go to the batlounge, there you will find not only pix, but an explanation of how the conversion works.
The R-2200 service monitor is a nice service monitor but the CRT is NLA, and everything is done with the screen.
If you follow the directions to the letter you will have a good conversion, any changes and you are on your own.
The board that is referred to is a copy of a board intended for just this application, replacing a CRT with an LCD in a scope.
I do not know much more than what is in the documents provided.
There are dozens of plans on converting a TV to an oscilloscope and plenty more on doing this with an LCD display.
Note that there is a very good reason that the R-2200 scope supply is isolated from the unit B+ proper, do not try to change this portion of the original wiring, the unit needs this isolation!

NQ6U
03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Give me a link. I've seen lots of stuff for converting computer monitors and TVs to LCD screens but I've yet to find any info on anyone who's successfully converted an oscilloscope.

KA5PIU
03-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Hello.

What I have was installed by a shop down in Juarez Mexico a few years ago and is sold as a kit to convert a CRT display scope to LCD, a complete package.
But there are now dozens of the same out.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS275&q=tv+to+oscilloscope&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=
Some on the batlabs were asking me about this and I have no answers, both in that I did not do the conversion, and that it was a kit that simply is installed.
There is one phillips video IC on the board and a few transistors but little more.
Again, this product is a commercial package, follow the directions and it works, except I was not the one following the directions.

NQ6U
03-27-2011, 07:53 PM
As usual, the link doesn't prove your point. Don't you ever get tired of that game, Hajji Rudi?

KA5PIU
03-27-2011, 08:24 PM
As usual, the link doesn't prove your point. Don't you ever get tired of that game, Hajji Rudi?

Hello.

What kind of point is there to prove?
The LCD display is treated as any video display on this thing.
And, as I have written, I do not know how it works, it was a kit that was not installed by me.
Unplug the standard computer video connector from the board and plug in a computer monitor, CRT or LCD, and as long as the sync is good it works.
Unplug the computer monitor and plug the display back in and it is back to square one.
Again, this is a kit, one of several that are very much available on the market today.
The LCD display is something that happens to fit and is of the ratings needed that was surplus.
The prior LCD display was a bit smaller so I replaced it with one that fills the entire area.
That is the full extent of what I know about it.
http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml

PA5COR
03-28-2011, 06:11 AM
I made a quick piccie.

Don't mind the rest of the trash, i know i need to clean up my working room....:mrgreen:
There was also a Konig meter and lots more DVM's etc, but not enough place to put it up for the picture.

KA5PIU
03-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Hello.

What kind of servicing do you do, broadcast radios?

W3WN
03-28-2011, 10:01 AM
I made a quick piccie.

Don't mind the rest of the trash, i know i need to clean up my working room....:mrgreen:
There was also a Konig meter and lots more DVM's etc, but not enough place to put it up for the picture.
Nice. Very nice.

I'd talk to you about one of the 'scopes, but I don't think the shipping costs would make it worthwhile.

KA5PIU
03-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Give me a link. I've seen lots of stuff for converting computer monitors and TVs to LCD screens but I've yet to find any info on anyone who's successfully converted an oscilloscope.

Hello.

Got hold of the person who did the conversion.
He said that except for the fact that an oscilloscope using electrostatic deflection and not an electromagnetic yoke there is little difference.
The hard part is the sync, as sync in a computer or TV is at a defined rate, and what the little board tries to address.
From there it is an analog RGBi signal on the DB15 connector.
There are several chips out that allow one to take vertical and horizontal signals and limit them to the range needed is what I am told.
In this case a board that was built to allow an LCD display to work in place of a CRT, more for built in applications or where one wanted to update a TV, was used.
This board is no longer sold, as there in not much point in converting an analog TV after the DTV switch.
Again, it is not the video, H&V that is the issue, it is sync, not all monitors will work at all trace rates of this service monitor.
The LCD display that I have in it now works perfect, and the Miracle combo analog TV/computer monitor also works at all sweep rates.
The service monitor scope is very limited in what it does so that may also be a factor.
Call a TV shop, explain what it is you are trying to do, they may have a solution.

PA5COR
03-28-2011, 11:14 AM
It is sold as "portable" scope, but it is actually quite deep and hefty.
Shipping costs double boxed etc would be quite hefty...
We got 40/60 MHz scopes and this baby, which i adopted for myself, having a ball the next weeks to go over all functions, so if you don't see posts from me for a time, I'm lost in my working room.....:roll::mrgreen:
Dome camera's all work, colour, the I.R dome did as advertised 25 meters with i.r. LEDs on.
The LPM 5673 Laser tester needs just new batteries, the DVM's as well, the shop had been closed for 8 months...
Lots of stuff to sift through, crimp tools for RG58 and RG8 connectors, RJ45 crimp tools, coax cable cutters, screwdrivers, alignment tools in set form, rolls of RG 58, 75 Ohm coax, contact 60 spray, plastic spray ( boxes of them) boxes of energy saving lamps, led lamps, cisco routers, Siemens phones, tons of new parts, transistors, ic's condensators, standard and SMD Weller soldering stations, hot air soldering SMD stations,and the list goes on...
Some of it will go to the ham fair to support our repeaters and beacons we help maintain.
Lots of effort went into the co channelling/diversity project of repeaters, so the parts and other goodies will help paying for it.http://www.muntronde.nl/rzghvn/in.htm.

Nice. Very nice.

I'd talk to you about one of the 'scopes, but I don't think the shipping costs would make it worthwhile.

ka4dpo
03-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Sounds like a great haul, Cor. But:

What does a Dutchman, living in a more advanced country, know about such an archaic unit of measurement as the mile? Don't you mean kilometer?

Speaking of Dutchmen, on a recent rip to Holland I found my roots, Gunter Kinte, he had his finger in a dyke. I may just write a book about this.....

KA5PIU
03-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Hello.

Nice website.
http://www.muntronde.nl/rzghvn/in.htm
Yes, cheap and easy is the motto of ham clubs world wide!