PDA

View Full Version : So my wife says to me...

N7YA
03-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Out of the blue, over lunch at the local bar & grill.

(her)...Baby? I want to take a vacation in the Caribbean...

(me) Ok, where?

(her) I dont know. You pick it, one that has one of those ham stations for rent so you can play with your radios. Ill just be happy sitting on the porch.

(me) .....:hyper:

A DX-friendly wife!! How lucky did i get? But she does draw the line at scaling a frozen cliff in high seas with crates of radio gear strapped to our backs with a gale of icy spray in our faces. Maybe ill start her off at ZF or PJ2T's rental...then ease her into Market Reef or Bouvet.

Baby steps.

X-Rated
03-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Always take baby steps with the 'YL's. Next thing you know (after taking baby steps) is her saying, "No. I didn't mean MARS as in the radio service..."

W3WN
03-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Look into VP2M. Larry K3VX and a group of his friends go there on a regular basis, he could get you the specifics.

I think there are some rental shacks on Aruba, the Turks & Caicos, and Jamaica as well.

Also, don't rule out the USVI. Paul NP2JF has a very nice place available on St. John's, it's hosted the NP2SH team a few times -- and is the home of the NP2SH/B beacon.

X-Rated
03-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Will you be going during a dx contest?

ki4itv
03-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Out of the blue, over lunch at the local bar & grill.

(her)...Baby? I want to take a vacation in the Caribbean...

(me) Ok, where?

(her) I dont know. You pick it, one that has one of those ham stations for rent so you can play with your radios. Ill just be happy sitting on the porch.

(me) .....:hyper:

A DX-friendly wife!! How lucky did i get? But she does draw the line at scaling a frozen cliff in high seas with crates of radio gear strapped to our backs with a gale of icy spray in our faces. Maybe ill start her off at ZF or PJ2T's rental...then ease her into Market Reef or Bouvet.

Baby steps.

Been married 19 years...she wants something. Even the great ones do this, watch for it.;):lol:

ka8ncr
03-27-2011, 04:59 PM
I've been trying to talk my wife into doing that for years. The problem I have is that I love to fish, dive and hang at the beach more than I'd love being a DX station. This would stretch into the need for a 3 week vacation.

N7YA
03-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Look into VP2M. Larry K3VX and a group of his friends go there on a regular basis, he could get you the specifics.

I think there are some rental shacks on Aruba, the Turks & Caicos, and Jamaica as well.

Also, don't rule out the USVI. Paul NP2JF has a very nice place available on St. John's, it's hosted the NP2SH team a few times -- and is the home of the NP2SH/B beacon.

I was looking at the USVI shack, its nice. I was also loking at renting out PJ2T! There would be very few hams around the world that wouldnt be able to hear me, thats always a good draw for me. And the house is beautiful, right on the water...i mean, RIGHT on the water. J6 was thrown around, as well as the stations on Aruba and Grand Cayman. But i may look into that Montserrat station, i need to see the house though as im bringing my non-ham wife.

N7YA
03-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Been married 19 years...she wants something. Even the great ones do this, watch for it.;):lol:

:lol::lol: Always my first assumption! But after talking, her requests are simple, me having fun being the DX, us NOT being in Vegas for a little while, everybody gets what they want. She just like to travel whenever we get the opportunity.

We about to close on our house so it wont be for a while, were thinking our anniversary in 2012, but all the rentals we checked are open around then, just have to book it to hold it.

(by the way, our anniversary is smack dab in the middle of contest season....coincidence? hmmm...)

N7YA
03-27-2011, 05:12 PM
I've been trying to talk my wife into doing that for years. The problem I have is that I love to fish, dive and hang at the beach more than I'd love being a DX station. This would stretch into the need for a 3 week vacation.

Oh, there will be fishing...we both like to fish. I also want to try my hand at diving, never did that. And 3 weeks is twice as long as were giving ourselves...maybe i can add a day or two, it just starts to get pricey after that.

W4RLR
03-27-2011, 07:23 PM
My wife said she wanted to take a vacation to Hawaii. When I said the two of us could not afford to go, she said "Who said YOU were going?"

X-Rated
03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
My wife said she wanted to take a vacation to Hawaii. When I said the two of us could not afford to go, she said "Who said YOU were going?"

Pwned.

N7YA
03-27-2011, 11:16 PM
:werd::giggity:

N8YX
03-28-2011, 06:53 AM
If Aruba is being discussed, do not go Dutch. ;)

W3WN
03-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Henny Youngman's estate wants to talk to you about royalties. So does Rodney Dangerfield's.

W3WN
03-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Seriously, Adam, if you do put the trip together, let me know if you think you'll need a QSL manager.

I'll volunteer. I know, proof again that I'm missing some marbles.

N7YA
03-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks Ron! Thats quite a task. I tried it for a fellow active ham back in the 80's and i just gave him the box back, lol. I do appreciate it. Were probably not going for a while yet, buying a new house and all, money will be wrapped up accordingly. But i will announce it to the DX outlets and if the offer still stands, may call on you. :)

W3WN
03-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks Ron! Thats quite a task. I tried it for a fellow active ham back in the 80's and i just gave him the box back, lol. I do appreciate it. Were probably not going for a while yet, buying a new house and all, money will be wrapped up accordingly. But i will announce it to the DX outlets and if the offer still stands, may call on you. :)No problem. Between K3AIR and N3ZNI, I should be able to get any help I need from some experienced local managers.(*) To say nothing of W3WH and K3VX and quite a few other locals who have done it all themselves.

Forgot to mention before, if... excuse me, when you go, if you are interested in the USVI, NP2JF's place is called Plumeria. A web search should find the links to the location and the rental info, I don't have it here at my fingertips.

(*) I might even ask a certain manager down in TX... nah...