03-26-2011, 10:43 PM
nothing's too easy, here's the best one via tiney pic:
http://i53.tinypic.com/1zdvs74.jpg

ok, here's another:
http://i54.tinypic.com/504aad.jpg

KA5PIU
03-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Hello.

Do you really want me logging in as free2rhyme@yahoo.com? that is the Yahoo example. ;)

W3MIV
03-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Korporate Amerika is interested in your health. Drink and shut up.

WØTKX
03-27-2011, 10:32 AM
7Up used to be considered as good as Pedialite. :snicker:

KA5PIU
03-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Hello.

7Up is not harmful to children given in moderation.
Coke is a good stimulant.
But you must also remember that this was in an era when the food was much better for you, fast food was not the normal diet.

kb2vxa
03-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Still I wouldn't give soda to a baby, wait until they have teeth so you can take them to the dentist.

w3bny
03-28-2011, 08:45 AM
And it had lithium carbonate citrate (aka...Lithobid Litarex) in it back in the day...Thats why everyone was happy!

W1GUH
03-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Hello.

Do you really want me logging in as free2rhyme@yahoo.com? that is the Yahoo example. ;)

Anyone ever send an email to that address? What happened?

KA5PIU
03-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Hello.

Lithia water is still very much available.
Coke made with lithia water is available in Mexico at most drug stores.
Cola made with cocaine requires a prescription but is available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_Colla
In fact, Mexico is just about ready to call it quits on the war on drugs.

kc7jty
03-29-2011, 12:25 AM
Mexico will do whatever Uncle Sam wants.

n2ize
03-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Those are two great ads.

W1GUH
03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Laboratory tests over the last few years have proven that babies who start drinking soda during that early formative period have a much higher chance of gaining acceptance and "fitting in" during those awkward pre-teen and teen years.

See that? See how important it is to "Start them on a strict regimen of sodas and other sugary carbonated beverages right now, for a lifetime of guaranteed happiness"? You want your progeny to be happy, right? Well, there's how to guarantee it!

I'd love to see the lab where that research was done.

n2ize
03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
See that? See how important it is to "Start them on a strict regimen of sodas and other sugary carbonated beverages right now, for a lifetime of guaranteed happiness"? You want your progeny to be happy, right? Well, there's how to guarantee it!

I'd love to see the lab where that research was done.

Those were great times before all this "politiical correctness" came into being. Those were the days where you could give your kid a 7Up or a Coca Cola and feel no guilt over it. And despite the soda and the sugar most kids in those days led very active lives and childhood diabetes was not as common as it is today. Thise were the days where you could light up a cigarette in the hospital waiting room and nobody would think of telling you to put it out. Matter of fact ash trays were provided for convenience. And most likely the doctor who examines you would be smoking as well. God do I miss those great old days. I wish I had a time machine so I could go back.

KA5PIU
03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Hello.

That was also in an era when things like diabetes treatment was a non-issue, you simply died.
Cancer treatments were also pretty much a non-issue, in fact the massive doses of X-Rays from a fluoroscope could cause cancer.
Lung cancer from cigarette smoke was only a small part of it, asbestos from everything from a boiler to brake pads was common.
The dangers were known, and the people on top did everything they needed to protect themselves.

NA4BH
03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Hello.

in fact the massive doses of X-Rays from a fluoroscope could cause cancer.

Hello.

And this information comes from where? The book of Rudy?

KA5PIU
03-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Hello.

Before the health hazards of prolonged exposure to X-Rays was understood there was the direct reading fluoroscope.
http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/shoefittingfluor/shoe.htm
You will also see them in cartoons, a large panel that lights up on application of X-Rays.
An X-Ray tube would simply illuminate a florescent panel.
Modern X-Ray machines emit a fraction of the level of radiation and give a much clearer picture.

NA4BH
03-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Hello.

Before the health hazards of prolonged exposure to X-Rays was understood there was the direct reading fluoroscope.
http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/shoefittingfluor/shoe.htm
You will also see them in cartoons, a large panel that lights up on application of X-Rays.
An X-Ray tube would simply illuminate a florescent panel.
Modern X-Ray machines emit a fraction of the level of radiation and give a much clearer picture.

Don't tell me, you work with X-rays too?

NQ6U
03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Don't tell me, you work with X-rays too?

Hajji Rudi has X-ray vision. Didn't you know that? He can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands and leap tall buildings in a single bound, too. I'm not so sure about the never-ending battle for truth, though.

n2ize
03-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Hello.

And this information comes from where? The book of Rudy?

My parents told me that when they were kids many shoe stores had fluoroscopes. You would put your foot or leg in front og it and on an illuminated screen you would see a real time image of the bones inside your foot. Lots of kids liked to play with them, putting there feet in front of the machine to see their bones. Supposedly it used x-rays. How dangerous they were I really don;t know. I suspect that the dangers have probably been overly exxagerated. However, at the same time it is probably not the safest idea to x-ray your feet for fun while your folks are busy shopping for shoes.

n2ize
03-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Hajji Rudi has X-ray vision. Didn't you know that? He can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands and leap tall buildings in a single bound, too. I'm not so sure about the never-ending battle for truth, though.

Yeah, but who is he disguised as and, is he mild mannered.

NA4BH
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
My parents told me that when they were kids many shoe stores had fluoroscopes. You would put your foot or leg in front og it and on an illuminated screen you would see a real time image of the bones inside your foot. Lots of kids liked to play with them, putting there feet in front of the machine to see their bones. Supposedly it used x-rays. How dangerous they were I really don;t know. I suspect that the dangers have probably been overly exxagerated. However, at the same time it is probably not the safest idea to x-ray your feet for fun while your folks are busy shopping for shoes.

I can remember those. It was used to show how the feet fit in the shoes. And, as you said, the dangers were exaggerated. Granted that any exposure is not good, but it takes a pretty good dose before any changes are observed.

KA5PIU
03-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Hello.

When I was going to school we had all the neat stuff, X-Ray tubes, etc.
At one point this was removed from the classroom due to dangers of X-Ray exposure.
Television sets were also found to be a hazard.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,837185,00.html
Later it was discovered that other forms of radiation were also a danger, microwave as well as the other bands.
But, odd as this must sound, a ham should already know this.
http://hintlink.com/power_density.htm
High vacuum tubes (electron tubes) run at high voltage produce X-Rays.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_tube
Rectifier tubes were noted for this.
The flyback rectifier tube in a TV set was in a metal box in a lot of sets to meet the DHEW requirements for radiation safety.
Again, an active ham should be fully aware of the dangers that some of this equipment can pose.

NA4BH
03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
So, were the X-ray tubes hooked up to anything?

KA5PIU
03-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Hello.

We had a simple power supply to power things like the X-Ray and crookes tubes
We also had a pin that had a tiny bit of plutonium on it that was kept in a concrete container.
This was part of a program called "Our friend the atom".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Friend_the_Atom
Look at the video and draw your own conclusion.

NA4BH
03-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Was it a glass tube or a metal tube? What was the AC voltage that you ran to the tube?

KA5PIU
03-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Hello.

This was part of a classroom kit.
The power supply was contained in a wooden box and ran off several of the old style dry cells with 2 terminals on top, a number 6 dry battery.
The crookes tube was an all glass affair that was held in place by a metal frame.
The X-Ray tube was in a wooden box.
My home experiments were with a flyback removed from a 19 inch color RCA set and a new rectifier, glass tube.
For the detector I took the florescent powder from a few broken florescent tubes and put this inside a test tube.
I also used glow in the dark powder in another test tube, zinc sulfide.
I did this over a few days and lost interest.

NA4BH
03-30-2011, 03:15 PM
WART by PROXY

W3WN
03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
I used to have a small transformer, a bridge rectifier, and some pretty decent sized electrolytics that I used as a demonstration, back when I was teaching Novice classes.

It was all "open" -- and everything was connected together with metal plates, not wires. I used it to demonstrate, with a digital VOM, how the transformer stepped up voltage, and how the caps filtered the DC out.

Most importantly... well, I had an old, long screwdriver that I used as a "pointer." After disconnecting the transformer from AC power, I was able to demonstrate two things:

Hysterisis, showing how the caps acted as batteries and fed energy back into the circuit.
and
Safety, or why you should never work on a power supply without first discharging the caps. Anyone want to venture a guess on how I did that part?

Suffice to say, the "BANG!" that occurred when I shorted the output made sure everyone was awake. And somewhere, I still have that poor, scarred screwdriver.

...and what was really neat... the caps didn't always fully discharge, so if you watched the meter, you'd see the circuit re-energize. Second bang wasn't as impressive. But none of my students got electrocuted!

KA5PIU
03-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Hello.

In this era there were still model T coils around for experiments but I found the modern ignition coil to be easier to find.
A V8 engine has an absolute upper end of around 13k RPM in the lab, the ignition coil is running 104 KHz!
Due to the construction of modern ignition coils they can operate to around 200 KHz with very limited efficiency.
136 KHz is a good absolute upper range, and right about where we need to be.
We want to run 2 of them in series with a 30 volt supply and use that as part of the primary for a pancake Tesla coil.
Mount the whole bit inside a cheap all plastic briefcase and you have one hell of a toy.
For current transistors I use the 2N3773, the higher breakdown voltage works.
The whole thing can be built for under $200 even if you use all new everything.

NQ6U
03-30-2011, 05:02 PM
I can't think of many of the old-school American V-8 engines that would survive 13,000 RPM, at least not in stock form.

KA5PIU
03-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Hello.

That is why I said absolute upper limit in the lab.
It has been done, kind of like taking a bunch of chainsaw engines and making a motorcycle. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzx8Y--UNto
The trouble is that at 13 grand there is very little time for the valves to operate, and high lift is out of the question.
Things like the oil supply require special attention and the operating time for the engine is very limited.
In short, not practical.

n2ize
03-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I used to have a small transformer, a bridge rectifier, and some pretty decent sized electrolytics that I used as a demonstration, back when I was teaching Novice classes.

It was all "open" -- and everything was connected together with metal plates, not wires. I used it to demonstrate, with a digital VOM, how the transformer stepped up voltage, and how the caps filtered the DC out.

Most importantly... well, I had an old, long screwdriver that I used as a "pointer." After disconnecting the transformer from AC power, I was able to demonstrate two things:

Hysterisis, showing how the caps acted as batteries and fed energy back into the circuit.
and
Safety, or why you should never work on a power supply without first discharging the caps. Anyone want to venture a guess on how I did that part?

Suffice to say, the "BANG!" that occurred when I shorted the output made sure everyone was awake. And somewhere, I still have that poor, scarred screwdriver.

...and what was really neat... the caps didn't always fully discharge, so if you watched the meter, you'd see the circuit re-energize. Second bang wasn't as impressive. But none of my students got electrocuted!

Better than getting hit with 1500 VDC B+ plate supply in one arm, through the chest, and out the other like what happened to me when I was making some bias adjustments on an energized transmitter. It stunned me, knocked me across the room, and in the aftermath I hat a metalic taste in the mouth and I could smell burned skin and ozone. Since then I have never worked on any piece of energized gear. If I have to make an adjustment I shut it down, disconnect it, make sure it;s fully discharged, make the adjustment and then re-energize. It takes longer but it's better than getting killed.

KA5PIU
03-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Hello.

Anything is better than getting killed, death is so permanent.

NQ6U
03-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Hello.

Anything is better than getting killed, death is so permanent.

That depends on who you talk to, Rudy!