PDA

View Full Version : WZUM AM 1590 SK

W3WN
03-26-2011, 04:23 PM
After going dark in March 2010, due to FCC violations, unpaid rent, and a padlocked studio, the license for WZUM AM 1590, Carnegie PA, was automatically cancelled March 22nd.

It's three directional towers, which were on land leased by the Borough of Crafton (PA), have been dismantled. (Damn! They would have been great on 160!)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11084/1134537-67.stm

N8GAV
03-26-2011, 05:46 PM
I wonder what else is left on the site. Like the phaser, tuning houses, ect. Them towers would worked great on 80/75 also.

NQ6U
03-26-2011, 06:27 PM
I wonder what else is left on the site. Like the phaser, tuning houses, ect.

Maybe some really heavy copper radials...

N2CHX
03-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Maybe some really heavy copper radials...

Most radials are 12 gauge. The ground system is probably non-existent anyway, since they do erode over time and have to be replaced every 30 to 40 years or so. Replacing a ground system for a 3 tower array is pretty costly and even the big companies like Entercom who can afford to replace them rarely do anymore, so the chances of finding much salvageable copper left in the ground at that 1590 site is probably pretty slim. Another one bites the dust.

NQ6U
03-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Most radials are 12 gauge. The ground system is probably non-existent anyway, since they do erode over time and have to be replaced every 30 to 40 years or so. Replacing a ground system for a 3 tower array is pretty costly and even the big companies like Entercom who can afford to replace them rarely do anymore, so the chances of finding much salvageable copper left in the ground at that 1590 site is probably pretty slim. Another one bites the dust.

Good info, Kelli. I had no idea that a broadcast station could get by with 12 gauge radials; I figured with all that wattage they'd need something heavier. Thanks.

W3WN
03-26-2011, 08:30 PM
I wonder what else is left on the site. Like the phaser, tuning houses, ect. Them towers would worked great on 80/75 also.
I don't know if they've actually taken the towers or transmitter building out yet. They may be waiting for better weather, and I don't live in that part of town anymore.

An article on the Pittsburgh Radio & TV Blog (http://www.pbrtv.com/blog/index.html) dated back in January indicated that the former CE was able to salvage the transmitter and some equipment; what happened to it afterwards, I'm not certain.

N8YX
03-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Don't fret. WAKR is on 1590 and will now be audible over yonder. :yes:

X-Rated
03-27-2011, 07:50 AM
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?sr=Y&call=WZUM

n2ize
03-28-2011, 01:37 AM
I don't know if they've actually taken the towers or transmitter building out yet. They may be waiting for better weather, and I don't live in that part of town anymore.

An article on the Pittsburgh Radio & TV Blog (http://www.pbrtv.com/blog/index.html) dated back in January indicated that the former CE was able to salvage the transmitter and some equipment; what happened to it afterwards, I'm not certain.

What kind of power do they run ? If it's low power > 5000 watts I would see if they auction off that transmitter and bid on it. If you win it haul it into your shack and rework it for 160. Roll the power back and you've got a nice hi-fi am rig. Some of the AM'ers have been going that route of late. Nothing like having some broadcast iron in the chack. Esp if it glows in the dark.

W3WN
03-28-2011, 09:22 AM
What kind of power do they run ? If it's low power > 5000 watts I would see if they auction off that transmitter and bid on it. If you win it haul it into your shack and rework it for 160. Roll the power back and you've got a nice hi-fi am rig. Some of the AM'ers have been going that route of late. Nothing like having some broadcast iron in the chack. Esp if it glows in the dark.
Kell, I know they were a low power AM'er -- I think night time wasn't more than 250 W, and not more than 5K daytime.

As a one-time broadcaster myself (remind me sometime to start a thread on Carey Simpson, WGMR and his Allegheny Mountain Radio Network), I sure wouldn't mind having a transmitter like that. Not sure where I'd put it, there is literally no room in the basement right now, but that's another matter. But there's been no word on what happened to the transmitter & such after removal. I can check with a few local hams who are still in the business and see if they've heard anything.

I used to work around the corner from the antenna array. The three towers were on some municipal-owned land adjacent to the local golf course (I don't know if it was a public or private one, I think it was private) down near Chartiers Creek. NOT ideal for HF, they were down in a hole, but for MW groundwave, I guess they were OK.

on edit: The engineer who bought the WZUM transmitter and rack is the CE of WORD-FM (see http://www.pbrtv.com/blog/entry_1468.php). So it was a nice thought Kell, but I suspect that the equipment is destined or ordained for a higher purpose than 160.

kb2vxa
03-29-2011, 06:50 PM
They were 1KW day and 24W night which seems to indicate a solid state transmitter. That would come with a hefty price tag so it's doubtful it would end up on 160M. No mention was made of a backup transmitter, hot swappable modules minimize the need for one.

X-Rated
03-29-2011, 11:35 PM
They were 1KW day and 24W night which seems to indicate a solid state transmitter. That would come with a hefty price tag so it's doubtful it would end up on 160M. No mention was made of a backup transmitter, hot swappable modules minimize the need for one.

The local liberals bought up the old Relevant Radio radio station here in Chicago and instead of broadcasting Catholic preachings, they preach the gospel of liberalism.

ka8ncr
04-03-2011, 07:41 AM
I have no idea how some of these AM stations remain on the air.

KA5PIU
04-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Hello.

It says the 3 towers were dismantled.
Depending on how they were dismantled, they may still be useful as 80 or 160 meter towers.
As it was, if a radio station can not afford to pay the rent what makes one think hams, noted for being cheap, would pay that sum of money?
And, yes, one can buy old AM transmitters for cheap.
If this is indeed a solid state unit it went on the air later, mid 60s everything was still tubes so you can just about bet there are 2 transmitters in the shack.
Most stations around here have at least 2 transmitters and the older ones have 3.

W3WN
04-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Hello.

It says the 3 towers were dismantled.
Depending on how they were dismantled, they may still be useful as 80 or 160 meter towers.
As it was, if a radio station can not afford to pay the rent what makes one think hams, noted for being cheap, would pay that sum of money?
And, yes, one can buy old AM transmitters for cheap.
If this is indeed a solid state unit it went on the air later, mid 60s everything was still tubes so you can just about bet there are 2 transmitters in the shack.
Most stations around here have at least 2 transmitters and the older ones have 3.My guess, considering it was the borough that was doing it, was that the towers were or will be deliberately dropped, and sold for scrap. I can check with some local broadcast engineers and see if they know.