PDA

View Full Version : Bubba is smarter than you think

kd8dey
03-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Before there was all those sugary breakfast cereals to put your glucose levels through the roof
Bubba was enjoying buttermilk and leftover corn bread (The predecessor of corn flakes??)
No processed corn syrup, no unnatural preservatives, no artificial coloring, all natural goodness :-D

NQ6U
03-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Before there was all those sugary breakfast cereals to put your glucose levels through the roof
Bubba was enjoying buttermilk and leftover corn bread (The predecessor of corn flakes??)

The wife and I care for her mother, who hails from Mississippi. She's in poor health and when she doesn't feel like eating anything else, we can always get her to eat cornbread and buttermilk. She calls it her comfort food and I bake up at least one pan of corn bread a week for her.

Recipe (I have it memorized):

Preheat oven to 400° F

1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar (yeah, I know that's not the classic Southern corn bread, but she likes it that way)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
1 cup milk

8x8 baking pan, very well greased. If you're lucky enough to have a cast iron baking pan, put it in the oven as it heats up. Pouring the batter into a hot pan makes for a really nice crust.

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Beat egg and oil together with a wire whisk, then add milk and mix. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and mix in liquids, stirring just enough to make sure that everything is well mixed. Pour into greased pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes. Serve hot (or cold with buttermilk).

KG4CGC
03-26-2011, 01:01 PM
One the go breakfest cornbread. Add diced ham and hunks of soft boiled eggs to the mix and bake as usual.

In the past I've also done salsa cornbread as well as cheesy cornbread. The salsa version required some forethought to compensate for the extra liquid from the salsa but a little extra liquid makes it a great spoon bread.

kb2vxa
03-26-2011, 01:06 PM
AAAaaahhh... CONEBRAID! <drool, slobber>

W3WN
03-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Sounds good. Can I make it with Splenda instead of sugar?

suddenseer
03-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Most Bubbas I know are not outright dumb. They just do brave(dumb) things with a bit of liquor added. "Hey fellers, watch this" I also know I am dumber than a 5th grader.:chin:

KG4CGC
03-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Sounds good. Can I make it with Splenda instead of sugar?
Try Stevia. Spenda is like soaking your brain in Clorox.

suddenseer
03-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Try Stevia. Spenda is like soaking your brain in Clorox.There is a brand name Truvia that is a nice granulated version of Stivia. I had a bottle of liquid Stivia years ago. It is so sweet, it is bitter full strength on the tongue. One small drop does wonders to a large glass of iced tea.

KG4CGC
03-26-2011, 02:39 PM
There is a brand name Truvia that is a nice granulated version of Stivia. I had a bottle of liquid Stivia years ago. It is so sweet, it is bitter full strength on the tongue. One small drop does wonders to a large glass of iced tea.
Did you notice that once Stevia came to the average grocery store's shelves, the price of Splenda™ dropped well over 50%? So, do you want to save some money and soak your brain tissue in the equivalent of what becomes chlorine bleach when the chemicals metabolize or would you spend a little extra for a sweetner that breaks down without those weird chemicals popping up?
Equal™ is on the other side of the Ph scale as it is acidic and resembles acetone paint thinner with metabolism.

suddenseer
03-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Did you notice that once Stevia came to the average grocery store's shelves, the price of Splenda™ dropped well over 50%? So, do you want to save some money and soak your brain tissue in the equivalent of what becomes chlorine bleach when the chemicals metabolize or would you spend a little extra for a sweetner that breaks down without those weird chemicals popping up?
Equal™ is on the other side of the Ph scale as it is acidic and resembles acetone paint thinner with metabolism.The older "safer" Equal (aspartame)was allowed FDA fast track approval during Raygun's term at the helm. I drank the diet soda's like everyone else. I started having migraine headaches, and fuzzy eyesight. The first thing the doc asked me was if I drank diet soda with Equal. It metabolizes to a compound similar to embalming fluid. It comes with a warning label on every product. Damn shame the print is too small for most people to read. I would get the stevia in the highly concentrated liquid form from the health food store. They have had it for years. It took me a year to use it.

WØTKX
03-26-2011, 03:53 PM
I like cornbread, and make it about once a month or so. Some of the best cornbread I've ever had was done in an iron skillet with way too much bacon grease. OMG, it was GOOD! I can tolerate a little buttermilk, it's best for baking or cooking. Not a big fan.

Breakfast cereal favorite is mixed steel cut oats and buckwheat, with molasses or dark brown sugar. Nutmeg, cinnamon and a dash of ginger. Yummy! Brown rice is good that way too. Or, a buckwheat pancake with blueberries and bananas blended with the blender. Double the egg, just eat it no syrup. More of a cake or a bread that way.

Don't forget the two slices of bacon. It's breakfast fer crying out loud. :mrgreen

kc7jty
03-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Why would you not use buttermilk in the cornbread recipe? I used to make it using 100% buttermilk all the time but dropped the bother years ago.
Couche couche (I had it here) http://www.cafedesamis.com/our-menu/8-menu-item/15-breakfast.html is good cooked in the seasoned cast iron pan.

The best cornbread is only very slightly sweet (I'm spoiled too) and is very gritty and due to the high corn meal flour ratio is very crumbly.
I bought some "cornbread" from the local supermarket bakery here a couple months ago. It tasted EXACTLY like a child's birthday cake (I was even getting hints of anise/licorice) without the icing.
I later told the baker dude that and he gave me a look that could kill.