PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of year again

X-Rated
03-23-2011, 09:03 PM
http://www.tractorsupply.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/KnowHow/chickdays/black_sex_link.jpg

Time to order spring chicks. Nice selection this year from TSC.

Link (http://www.tractorsupply.com/content/knowhow/chicks/livestock_care_2011_poultry_breed_guide?cm_mmc=Ema il-_-Ecom-_-20110323-_-poultrybre)

KG4CGC
03-23-2011, 09:25 PM
LOL! Poison Ivy time came early too.

N2NH
03-23-2011, 11:10 PM
April Fools Day is coming too... a week away.
http://www.protias.com/Pictures/Priceless/Mastercard%20Priceless%2016%20-%20cubicle.jpg

kc7jty
03-24-2011, 01:28 AM
I used to raise chickens from peeps, had hens too.

NQ6U
03-24-2011, 01:32 AM

Me too, and I miss the fresh eggs. We're allowed to have a few chickens here (no roosters) and I'd like to do it but I need to work on the fencing first. Chickens are great escape artists.

X-Rated
03-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Me too, and I miss the fresh eggs. We're allowed to have a few chickens here (no roosters) and I'd like to do it but I need to work on the fencing first. Chickens are great escape artists.

I know what you mean. We didn't even have any fences and they still got out.

w3bny
03-24-2011, 07:32 AM

how the...Marshmallow chickens?!?!

X-Rated
03-24-2011, 07:37 AM
how the...Marshmallow chickens?!?!

Well, you sure as hell ain't gonna raise them from the marshmallow bunnies now, are we?

W5GA
03-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I usually get my chicks from Murray McMurray. The mailman doesn't even bat an eye.

X-Rated
03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
I usually get my chicks from Murray McMurray. The mailman doesn't even bat an eye.

What kind of chickens do you get? What are you looking for in the poultry?

N8YX
03-24-2011, 11:58 AM
April Fools Day is coming too... a week away.
http://www.protias.com/Pictures/Priceless/Mastercard%20Priceless%2016%20-%20cubicle.jpg
I think I know where that photo was taken...

W5GA
03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
What kind of chickens do you get? What are you looking for in the poultry?
The last bunch was Barred Rocks - you can charge a bunch more for the eggs cuz they're brown, Momma thinks we might try something different this time though. Most folks don't have a clue that there's no difference.
What we look for is both meat and eggs. The Barred Rock is a good dual purpose breed, although not especially broody in my experience.

X-Rated
03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
The last bunch was Barred Rocks - you can charge a bunch more for the eggs cuz they're brown, Momma thinks we might try something different this time though. Most folks don't have a clue that there's no difference.
What we look for is both meat and eggs. The Barred Rock is a good dual purpose breed, although not especially broody in my experience.

Indeed. They are an excellent overall choice. They have some leghorn mix that is bigger and has lots of meat, but they are pretty mean. I tries some of those. The kids wouldn't play in the yard. We also had a wild turkey and lots of guinea foul. We turned to the Brown sex links for laying and meat. I wonder if they are closely related to the barred rocks.

W5GA
03-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Do you de-spur?

NQ6U
03-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Barred Rocks are good laying hens and they look cool, too. I think that if I do ever get chickens, I'm going to try some California Leghorns (http://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/leghorn/chicken/258). They're not good for meat but that's not an issue for me because the XYL would excrete a brick if I ever suggested eating one.

X-Rated
03-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Do you de-spur?

That didn't seem to make them any less aggressive. The kids were young and they really didn't like the aggressive behavior. They could still hurt people.

W5GA
03-24-2011, 12:31 PM
That didn't seem to make them any less aggressive. The kids were young and they really didn't like the aggressive behavior. They could still hurt people.
Yeah, they're still aggressive...but the don't have the necessary gear for serious damage anymore. Getting beat with their wings still sucks, but doesn't poke holes.

I had one rooster that just loved to attack me. I finally got tired of it, and the next time he came at me I kicked him about 8 feet up in the air. The next day, he was right back at it. Then the dumb SOB went and drowned in the horses water trough. Served his ass right.

kc7jty
03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Go for it Carl. With your year round weather you could buy hatch run then butcher the cocks before they start crowing.
I wish I could do it again.

kc7jty
03-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Have you ever had sex links? Amazing birds. The ones I had were large, almost all white with traces of light brown.
The barred rocks are popular here. 20 below zero is like a walk in the park for them.

kc7jty
03-24-2011, 02:15 PM
cut the upper beak short on the bossy hens. It puts the quash on the pecking order.

W5GA
03-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Have you ever had sex links? Amazing birds. The ones I had were large, almost all white with traces of light brown.
The barred rocks are popular here. 20 below zero is like a walk in the park for them.
No, in fact I'd never even heard the term until this thread. Now I know why some "barred rocks" look a little funny!
Yeah, they do well in cold weather, as long as there aren't any drafts to speak of. A good draft in the chicken house will cost your flock.

W5GA
03-24-2011, 02:19 PM
cut the upper beak short on the bossy hens. It puts the quash on the pecking order.
Amazing what the hens will do to each other, isn't it?

X-Rated
03-24-2011, 02:24 PM
No, in fact I'd never even heard the term until this thread. Now I know why some "barred rocks" look a little funny!
Yeah, they do well in cold weather, as long as there aren't any drafts to speak of. A good draft in the chicken house will cost your flock.

I have had the sex links. They are very nice and large chickens. I never had pecking order problems with them at all.

kc7jty
03-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Amazing what the hens will do to each other, isn't it?
They have their individual personalities, just like peoples.
Try a couple sex link hens. The eggs are light brown and they are good producers.