PDA

View Full Version : Treated myself to a new radio...

WØTKX
03-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Never bought a brand new one. Flex-3000 on the way.

Wheeeeee! :spin:

KG4CGC
03-22-2011, 08:39 PM
How cool is that?

KC9ECI
03-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Way cool. You won't want to run any other rigs after this.

kd8dey
03-22-2011, 09:05 PM

After all the flex / software bashing on EHam?

KJ3N
03-22-2011, 09:38 PM

After all the flex / software bashing on EHam?

Idiots and morons. :roll:

My co-worker has a Flex 5000 and has told me on more than one occasion about the stupidity on the Flex Radio e-mail reflector.

I can only imagine the level of idiocy on EHam. :roll:

NQ6U
03-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Well, all reet! Congrats!

I think I'm gonna go SDR when for my next radio as well. Of course, by the time I'm able to afford my next radio, that's probably all that will be available.

NQ6U
03-22-2011, 10:16 PM
My co-worker has a Flex 5000 and has told me on more than one occasion about the stupidity on the Flex Radio e-mail reflector.

I can only imagine the level of idiocy on EHam. :roll:

Here's one example of that:

Knowing what I know now would I purchase a Flex Radio today - NO I would not. I would wait until the software is fully functional......
Why - because I read that the software and been under "construction" for 10 years and is still not complete! Why - I don't know but I do know that they have started developing products for other markets - whick means they are taking both hardware and software development personnel away from the Ham related products.
This slows the development cycle down for Hams. Do you really want to spend that much money on a radio that is not fully functional?

Say what??

KJ3N
03-22-2011, 10:22 PM

Knowing what I know now would I purchase a Flex Radio today - NO I would not. I would wait until the software is fully functional......
Why - because I read that the software and been under "construction" for 10 years and is still not complete! Why - I don't know but I do know that they have started developing products for
other markets - whick means they are taking both hardware and software development personnel away from the Ham related products.
This slows the development cycle down for Hams. Do you really want to spend that much money on a radio that is not fully functional?

Say what??

Who the fsck was that idiot?

Yeah, it's sooo "not fully functional" that my co-worker has only been using it as his primary radio for at least the last 2 years.

As I said; idiots and morons..... :roll: :roll:

NQ6U
03-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Who the fsck was that idiot?

KD6HQ. A frickin' Six-Lander, what else did you expect? They're all morons...

KJ3N
03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
KD6HQ. A frickin' Six-Lander, what else did you expect? They're all morons...

Morons are not limited to 6-land, and stupidity has no limits.

N8YX
03-23-2011, 05:40 AM
The only reason I would stay away from an SDR (any SDR) is the API: Open vs OS-specific?

If the latest implementation makes heavy use of the Win-XP API, and that OS goes away in 2014 like Microsoft says it will...

It would be interesting to hear from actual users of the product regarding this question. Jim, Dave...?

KC2UGV
03-23-2011, 07:55 AM

Say what??

He must not realize that Google is still in beta...

The only reason I would stay away from an SDR (any SDR) is the API: Open vs OS-specific?

If the latest implementation makes heavy use of the Win-XP API, and that OS goes away in 2014 like Microsoft says it will...

It would be interesting to hear from actual users of the product regarding this question. Jim, Dave...?

If you want to dip your feet into SDR's, and aren't fearful of building it, OpenSDR does fine business. The design itself if open-licensed, and can use a whole lot of software for control.

W4GPL
03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Sounds like that will be a lot of fun! Congrats!

WØTKX
03-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Well, they fixed the CW latency thing, and the new Deep Impact development is exciting to me not scary. The same kind of idiots bashed the crap out of Ten Tec with the original Orion. Dumb short sighted people. Flexradio Deep Impact Development (http://www.flexradio.com/Products.aspx?topic=faq#q1-di)

FlexRadio "Deep Impact" Questions

Q1: What is FlexRadio "Deep Impact"?
A: FlexRadio "Deep Impact" or DI is the development name used by FlexRadio Systems to describe the next major version of software used to control FlexRadio Systems software defined radios. The official name for the FlexRadio software package has not yet been chosen. You will also hear the software development effort collectively referred to as "the new architecture" too.

Q2: How will "Deep Impact" be different from FlexRadio PowerSDR?
A: "Deep Impact" will differ in many ways from the previous versions of FlexRadio PowerSDR. Since the software is still in the initial development stages, only very broad statements can be made about it at this time. "Deep Impact" is being designed so that the different functions of a SDR will be more modular in nature rather than being integrated into one monolithic program as it is today withe PowerSDR. Another main design goal is to make the software cross-platform and operating system (OS) independent so that it is no longer a Windows only program. The software should run on Linux and OS X as well baring any other restrictions such as the availability of hardware drivers just to mention one.

As more of the design goals and objectives are defined, a more detailed description of "Deep Impact" will be made available.

Q3: Will "Deep Impact" replace FlexRadio PowerSDR?
A: No, not really in the short term. Using "Deep Impact" for operating FlexRadio transceivers will essentially do the same thing as FlexRadio PowerSDR, but it is how those functions are implemented that will change. "Deep Impact" is not an upgrade of FlexRadio PowerSDR per se, but an entirely new program. FlexRadio PowerSDR is a tightly integrated application where the console controls are intermixed with DSP and other radio functions. "Deep Impact" is designed to make software and hardware independent modules for greater flexibility, interoperability and future growth.

There are a lot of very bright people working on "Deep Impact" and once operationally functional, it will probably supersede FlexRadio PowerSDR in features and performance. This is not to say that FlexRadio PowerSDR will not be available. For those who want a less complex and Windows only software solution, FlexRadio PowerSDR will be available. The amount of future bug fixes and enhancements for PowerSDR and who will be responsible for them will probably be determined at a later date. At this time there are no time frames associated for the delivery of "Deep Impact", so FlexRadio PowerSDR will be the primary SDR software for the foreseeable future.

Q4: When will "Deep Impact" become available?
A: At this time there is no estimate when any of the components of Deep Impact will be made available.

Q5: How will "Deep Impact" be developed and in what environment?
A: At this time it has not been decided, but the intent is that the primary development environment will utilize free open source development tools whenever applicable. Having the software cross platform compatible is a primary development goal of the new architecture, but not a strict requirement. The software will be delivered first on Windows. Once released then the decision will be made to provide a Linux and/or OS X operating systems centric solution.

Q6: Why are you shifting all of the development to Linux rater than Windows?
A: In actuality, most of what makes up FlexRadio PowerSDR today at the DSP level was developed under Linux and ported to Windows. The FlexRadio PowerSDR console is the only actual Windows component. The Linux development environment may be more conducive to developing the type of software required to run a software defined radio. In addition, not all operating systems are the same. Some have native capabilities that make implementing software features such as developing distributed systems easier and much more efficient.

Q7: I am a Windows user and have no interest in using Linux. How will this affect me?
A: It will not affect you adversely. You will NOT have to setup a Linux machine to run "Deep Impact" software unless you choose to do so and if a Linux version is available. Windows holds a majority market share of the PC operating system market. It would be a grave mistake of FlexRadio Systems to make a business decision that would force the majority of our customers to use a more complex solution in order to operate your software defined radio. We are into simplifying things for the user rather than making them more complicated.

KJ3N
03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Well, they fixed the CW latency thing, and the new Deep Impact development is exciting to me not scary. The same kind of idiots bashed the crap out of Ten Tec with the original Orion. Dumb short sighted people. Flexradio Deep Impact Development (http://www.flexradio.com/Products.aspx?topic=faq#q1-di)

I'm actually waiting for the Linux version before I buy a Flex.

WØTKX
03-23-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm OK with Winders 7, with decent hardware it works damn good. Required GOD MODE settings for me to not be annoyed. :lol:

Weird for me is I've shunned my usual Ten Tec Fetish. Was a tough call between the Flex 3000 and the Eagle.
But I prefer using a computer "front panel".

May be selling some of the other radios. Already have an offer on the Pegasus, but not sure I want to sell it.

W3WN
03-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Good luck with the rig.

W3WH had a Flex 3000 until recently. He bought it and a new laptop with the insurance money, after his Omni VI+ got destroyed at Field Day 2009.

I used the rig a few times at Bill's, and I liked it. Now when it comes to sitting down in the shack and operating, I'm old fashioned... my tastes run towards a radio with knobs, and a computer controlled rig in the shack isn't exactly what I like to operate. But that's my tastes. And if I had the shekels, I'd consider buying one and sticking it somewhere with a laptop to use as a remote base -- it should excel at that purpose (although you need a laptop with a Firewire port, IIRC).

Bill parted with the rig recently for a number of non-operating reasons, including some of the computer issues. (He also sold off quite a bit of his radio collection that was sitting around collecting dust, but that's another story). He still has his Argonaut V, picked up an Argonaut 509 that was alleged to be a working rig (and isn't) that's going to need some TLC, and he has a complete Elecraft set (K1, K2 & K3) to play with. So he still has plenty of toys!

W1GUH
03-23-2011, 12:28 PM
It'd be fun to mess with SDR and play around with DSP things if I could do it! But I can't, so I stick to radios with knobs! Can't quite see using an SDR with a laptop while mobil'ing, unless you can use a remote mic and just use the compter screen(or a smaller one somewhere) as a display, not control.

KC2UGV
03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
It'd be fun to mess with SDR and play around with DSP things if I could do it! But I can't, so I stick to radios with knobs! Can't quite see using an SDR with a laptop while mobil'ing, unless you can use a remote mic and just use the compter screen(or a smaller one somewhere) as a display, not control.

Hm... If the API is open enough, I might be able to write an Android app for it...

NQ6U
03-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Hm... If the API is open enough, I might be able to write an Android app for it...

The source code for PowerSDR (the software that FlexRadio wrote) is mostly Open Source. There is some proprietary code pertaining to certain Flex features, but the bulk of it is available.

KC2UGV
03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
The source code for PowerSDR (the software that FlexRadio wrote) is mostly Open Source. There is some proprietary code pertaining to certain Flex features, but the bulk of it is available.

Sounds like enough to get a basic interface working :) What features are proprietary, if you know off hand? Anything that would be a "killer" (Like VFO, or filtering)?

NQ6U
03-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Sounds like enough to get a basic interface working :) What features are proprietary, if you know off hand? Anything that would be a "killer" (Like VFO, or filtering)?

I'm not sure. The FlexRadio site is kinda vague about it.

WØTKX
03-23-2011, 01:41 PM
I got over not having a knob... HRD and N4PY software did that.

Even have the 302 encoder knob for the Pegasus, but I usually reach for the track ball.

And the computer display is better than a front panel.

What is going to be interesting is running PowerSDR and the N4PY software on both the Flex and the Pegasus. If it works really well, I might sell the TS-850 and the DSP-100. I really like the 850, but the computer control is clunky. And the sale would cover over half of the cost of the Flex. Probably regret selling it tho.

W5GA
03-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Good Job, hope you enjoy it!

WV6Z
03-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Nice choice! Enjoy!

WØTKX
03-23-2011, 05:06 PM
It shipped today! :spin:

kd8dey
03-23-2011, 05:44 PM
It shipped today! :spin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcIOy6XcM3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgAq_KnDIPc&feature=related

WØTKX
03-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Nope, FedEx, sig required, and I'll be home.

I gotta start figuring out how to wire it into the shack... and which radio to set aside.

Unless I try to run four radios from one computer. Yikes.

kd8dey
03-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Nope, FedEx, sig required, and I'll be home.

I gotta start figuring out how to wire it into the shack... and which radio to set aside.

Unless I try to run four radios from one computer. Yikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoCYePvJJmE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1mhz1-biEY&feature=related

WØTKX
03-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Thank you for the well wishes and flowers regarding shipping. :scared: :nono: :neener:

KC9ECI
03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
They shipped mine USPS so I thought a signature would be required. I came home from a weekend camping trip to find that it had been sitting out on my step since Saturday morning.

kd8dey
03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the well wishes and flowers regarding shipping. :scared: :nono: :neener:

Pre warned is prepared.
"It'a hard to get good help these days" (I hope everything comes out o.k.).

WØTKX
03-23-2011, 06:57 PM
If the shipment is screwed up, I'm blaming you. Just sayin'.